Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C'Mon! Lets Bring Mosney Back!! :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Leave it as is forever... As a detention centre.
    Anyone got any photos of the place in its current state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Eh.... Something else....
    Stephen wrote: »

Here's one

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It leveled and turned into yet more houses.
    Bring back Homelands to Mosney!

It was a great place for gigs too!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

DesF wrote: »
    Here's one

Link

Quality!!

It was rubbish... But still > :D

That's so freaky seeing that again. I remember being there and thinking that slide was massive. Looks tiny now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Remember being there . Even at the age of 7/8 I could tell it was a joke! I was amazed how the resteruents ever passed a health and safety inspection!
    When you were 7/8 you had concerns about a restaurant passing a health and safety inspection? I'd say you were a cheery kid!

Stephen wrote: »
    http://www.defenselink.mil/home/images/photos/2006-06/index/Hi-Res/22937.jpg

Used to go to Mosney a lot as a kid either on day trips or with the family for a weeks holiday. Some great memories.
    The pool with the underwater glass where you could see the swimmers from the main street and the restaurant.
    The Space Barrel (is that what it was called?) it was the yellow thing that spun around and then turned sideways. I used to always get sick after that. I remember one year the guy that was in charge of the ride used to climb out of the cage and up onto the side of it when it was going around. :eek: Ah the good aul days of lenient health & safety!
    The bowling green with all the old fogies.
    The computer room. :D lol although the holograms were cool.
    The amusements with those horse racing things for 2p a go.
    The remote control boats behind the glass.
    The ballroom.
    The Mexican Hat.
    The outdoor swimming pool that never got above a temperature of 3°C
    The toy trains beside the slide.

Back in about 1999/2000 they used to hold the Homelands Dance Festival there. I went to one of the years and it was mad walking around the place as an adult, everything seemed so small.

edit- Actually, just looking at that picture of the swimming pool in the first post. Is the water level below the level of the windows that look out onto the street? If so I'm guessing that it's a newer picture because when I used to go there as a kid back in the 80's the windows were always below the water. I reckon I probably know the reason for them lowering the water level too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ffs BaZ you're just showing up how bad my memory is. I thought I was great with my few small memories.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    When you were 7/8 you had concerns about a restaurant passing a health and safety inspection? I'd say you were a cheery kid!

http://www.defenselink.mil/home/images/photos/2006-06/index/Hi-Res/22937.jpg
    The pool with the underwater glass where you could see the swimmers from the main street and the restaurant.

edit- Actually, just looking at that picture of the swimming pool in the first post. Is the water level below the level of the windows that look out onto the street? If so I'm guessing that it's a newer picture because when I used to go there as a kid back in the 80's the windows were always below the water. I reckon I probably know the reason for them lowering the water level too!!

Yes was always important to moon the people outside when you were in the pool!

The level of water seems right to me, I think there was another row of window underwater. The water was always just below the green platform, as it is in the photo.

Edit: Just figured it out, it was the windows on the middle level that were under water!!
    Phew, glad i figured that out!

eirebhoy wrote: »
    ffs BaZ you're just showing up how bad my memory is. I thought I was great with my few small memories.
    :D
    Indeed it was!
    Edit: Just figured it out, it was the windows on the middle level that were under water!!
    Phew, glad i figured that out!
    I think you might be wrong. There was never 2 levels of windows. The people in the foreground of the picture are standing up in the water, I always remember that end as being the 10ft end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Moon people?

I used to **** at the oul wans tbh.

• Advertisement

Moon people?

Thank God you had the word "at" there or I would've been very worried!!! :D

Moon people?

Ah yes the auld ones. Nothing better than a challenging ****.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think you might be wrong. There was never 2 levels of windows. The people in the foreground of the picture are standing up in the water, I always remember that end as being the 10ft end.

Yeah i was wrong. The windows were all the same level, but there was 3 levels of water, so on the middle level the windows were underwater, but on the lower level the windows were above the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Archeron wrote: »
    I once went on that space round up four times in a row and then vomited blood into a litter bin.
    Good times.

Oh yeah? well me and two mates did it 9 times on the trot when we were about 10 on some school trip. I still suffer dizzy spells.

Best memory of Mosney for me were the two Homelands festivals that were held there....great venue for a dance event, easy for everyone to get to, the amusements were a great side show. As a venue it surely beats the sh*te out of Malahide castle (IMO). Shame we've lost it as being anything other than a holiday camp for bloody foreigners.
    Where do we hold community game finals now? Do we even still have community games?

Also, lol @ government excuses for not allowing development of the site into a fully fledged amusement park...I see none of those reasons stood in the way of tens of thousands of prime suburban dwellings being built in the same area, also funnily enough without proper adequate infrastructure or sewage treatmnet facilities....I guess all that stamp duty assuaged their concerns a bit eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Trabolgan is still going. Its Corks answer to Mosney: http://www.trabolgan.com/

Was only ever in Mosney on day trips and never stayed. There is actually a photograph of a young me with one of those paper Pepsi hats that I got at Mosney displayed in my mothers home. Anyone else remeber the paper Pepsi hats?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i think i went to the star trek thing there when i was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Wertz wrote: »
    Where do we hold community game finals now? Do we even still have community games?

Their still on at Mosney every year. I think up to about 2 years ago the contestants were allowed to go on the rides!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

So what, they pack off all the "locals" to Bettystown for a few days? Or just keep them all locked in the chalets?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I dunno, his solo stuff's alright but I think he did his best work with The Smiths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

My favourite memories of mosney are of the shower at the pool. As teenagers we would watch for hot chicks leaving the pool and try to enter the shower at the same time, or just watch them as we waited for them to finish showering. I don't remember any other activities for teenagers in mosney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

No one has mentioned the 6x4 room that the lazarqazar was in LOL !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Its not worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Those Spiral Pepsi hats ftw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Ohhh the memories... I used to love the place... Used to stay in a cousins house during the summer in Laytown and would go to Mosney maybe twice a month. We rarely paid in.... always finding another hole in the fence or way of distracting the security...! I suppose that was part of the reason i remember it so well...! I would absolutely love to get in there with my camera and take a few shots of its current state... I too remember it being massive...!

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

bring back
    homelands
    once or twice a year, maybe creamfields, hi:fi, even hold ****** there, perfect place for it. kick the refugees out for a couple of nights a year, or, i couldnt care less what they do with it the rest of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Every year for a weekend in June from aged six to sixteen for the All-Ireland Ballroom Dancing Championships.

My parents have a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭intheknow

Ahh, i came to this post a bit late, But I remember being caught getting over the fence by security personell. He told me to go back in there and enjoy myself.....Sigh !!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Leave it as is forever... As a detention centre.
    Wertz wrote: »

They're still held there in the summer. The place is exactly the same as when it was a holiday camp.

I think there's some future plans about building houses on the site, it was originally what they were going to do with it before they rented it out to the gov for the asylum seekers.

I miss the free pass i used to get for being a local :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ah mosney, it used to be a great place to go to, does anybody remember the battle boats you could get into and trundle about in while everyone around the perimeter could buy balls to shoot at you from canons?

or the ghost train? man that was a really crappy ghost train, it was as short as well.

was there a really terrible roller coaster in it at some stage or am i thinking of something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

All I remember about the place is trying to moon people from the swimming pool, but failing terribly because I couldn't swim.

Advertisement