Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C'Mon! Lets Bring Mosney Back!! :)

Options
  • 30-10-2007 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hey Lad and Lasses!! :D

I've been meaning to come on After Hours and post this for ages.
    About a month ago a couple of my mates were doing some construction work in the former 'Mosney Holiday Camp' in Co Meath..... Most commonly known as 'Mosnia' now i think lol. Anyway, I had a good hour to kill and pretty much has free access to roam the site, and i must say the memories came a-flowing :)

It was oddly spooky tho, I had a surreal moment in the giant pool area...
    You could hear a pin drop! :eek:

Anyway, One of the most shocking things i noticed was that most of the parks structures remains intacked.
    The big ballroom area (with the porthole windows),
    The amusement arcades,
    The bars... and more!!

Would it really be that bad an idea for a redevelopment of the site?
    For anyone who remembers a few years ago - A consortium of businessmen some of whom were associated with 'Universal' Theme Parks wanted to build a MASSIVE attraction in Bettystown and the best excuses the government could come up with were:

- The road networks wouldn't cope.
    - The transport system wouldn't cope.
    - The sewerage systems couldn't cope.

So then we have Mosney > Right beside the M1 Motorway, and attached to the main Dublin to Belfast train line..... Commuter Heaven!
    The only problem is sewerage, how big a problem could that be?!? It's beside the sea so surely something could be sorted to threat the sewerage then pump what is safe and acceptable into the sea or whatever. (Haven't a clue what way sewerage works so maybe that's a bad idea i dunno :confused:)

So anyone got any more thoughts or ideas on this?
    A government grant to fire Ireland's enterainment facilities into the 21st century?
    Advertise the site internationally to prospective developers?
    Could Mosneys 200 acre site be put to better use?

Maybe give a this country some kind of Theme Park attraction... other than Funtasia! lol

HISTORY LESSON
    For anyone who doesn't remember the history of the site:

It was originally opened in 1948 as part of the UK 'Butlins' Empire.
    At it's peak Mosney could accommodate 2800 campers and 4000 day visitors. Its estimated that 8 out of 10 Irish families have had some kind of contact with the camp over the years. Mosney was sold in 1982 by Butlins to a private buyer after the company decided to focus more on its UK Camps, Mosney continued to operate as normal for a further 18 years. In 2000 the Mosney site was closed due to problems finding short-term staff for the short 12 week holiday period and the site was put up for tender.
    A controversial 5-year €22 million euro deal was signed with the government to turn the camp into a home for asylum seekers. The site is now home to roughly 300 asylum seekers from over 20 different countries. Its thought the 200 acres of land is worth over €70 million euro. As it stands the future of the camp is unknown.

What Would Like to See Happen? 93 votes

It Redevloped into a 'Theme Park'.
    0%
    It leveled and turned into yet more houses.
    61%
    Atomic PineappleazezilBounty HunterTippexsuper_furryparasiteRed AlertGuy:IncognitoeirebhoyOrielirish lifemonkeyfudgect_royUnpossibleyom 1_blank_doonothingLisapeepUndercoverguyTerry 57 votes
    Leave it as is forever... As a detention centre.
    10%
    Stephenparasite_blank_Terrydelta_bravophantom_lordAgamemnonJesus WeptGhostInTheRuinsMementoMori 10 votes
    Eh.... Something else....
    27%
    Lex_DiamondsazezilMossy Monktony 2 toneKaromaDamienHparasitejimmycrackcormmarcsignal_blank_Ciaran500Terrymikemacdelta_bravoRob_lbikoGerryRyanAgamemnonSavmanDemocAnarchis 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Urgh... so many miserable memories...

But memories none the less...

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Urgh... so many miserable memories...

But.......the dragon slide!!!

Mosney should really be let Rest In Peace though.....i'm too big for the slides now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

It was rubbish... But still > :D

Oh.. yes the slide was pretty cool...

Anyone got any more photos of the place? I used to love the holograms.

Never went there. Shure, don't kids have video games to keep them entertained these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Isn't it called "Mosnia" now ??

aren't there asyulum seekers living in the chalets ??

where are they gonna go ?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It was a kip then and it's a kip now.
    You're right, a good location though

Detention centre is the wrong name in the poll OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

why doesn't ireland have a theme park?

If it comes back it should definitely have a 'Tunnel of Goats' and 'Spider Baby' attractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

micmclo wrote: »
    Detention centre is the wrong name in the poll OP

If RTE are calling it a 'Dentention Centre' then so am i lol :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Muggy Dev

why doesn't ireland have a theme park?

Ireland is a Theme Park.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Mosney was great!.....when I was five.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

No wonder we have so many asylum seekers, its all a big holiday. Is the pool still open for the asylum seekers, lucky buggers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Muggy Dev wrote: »
    Ireland is a Theme Park.:(

how?

i don't see any roller coasters coasting around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

bring it back:eek:
    it was terrible leave it were it is in the past

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

marcsignal wrote: »
    Isn't it called "Mosnia" now ??

That's material for a whole other thread. "Dey tuk awr chalays" etc...

Let it rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Oh: the slide in the pool that brought you to the pool thing underneath the main pool. That was cool.

As for the Asylum Seekers: process them, and send back the bogus ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Any more pictures? The picture of the pool brought memories of the whole place flooding back. I'm struggling to remember the slide though. There was an outdoor pool aswell wasn't there?

The oul' wans used to come around collecting off the parents every week so they could bring us all to Butlins every summer. I can still remember them howling as soon as the door was opened... "RESIDENTS". Then the struggle to find the pound or whatever it was. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Any more pictures? The picture of the pool brought memories of the whole place flooding back.

did that happen ??? :D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hey Lad and Lasses!! :D

. In 2000 the Mosney site was closed due to problems finding short-term staff for the short 12 week holiday period and the site was put up for tender......

The site is now home to roughly 300 asylum seekers from over 20 different countries.

i know its wrong but i think i may have found a cheap solution to the original staff problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Mosney..Aww memories of community games have just come flooding back to me:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Ive fond memories of Mosney when I was a kid. The pool and ,oh, who remembers the 'Space Round up'!? :D I saw someone puke on that once when I was on it and needless to say quite a mess for the people next to them:D What else was there? - The slide obviously - the planes (when I was very small) and wasnt there a restaurant beneath or beside the pool? There where other smaller pools outside aswell on the way in. The lake with those swan yokes and little boats too. The bumper cars where alright when I was small too. Id say Mosney would look very small if it suddenly appeared now but back then, as a kid, it looked really big or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 -avey-

Mosney - good times when i was younger..i loved looking out windows when i was in the swimming pool (think it was the middle one) and seeing people walking along having a nosy in :rolleyes: ah the memories, we used to go every year, loved it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Remember being there . Even at the age of 7/8 I could tell it was a joke! I was amazed how the resteruents ever passed a health and safety inspection!
    Also, on the wheel that everyone sat in a circle, people used to spit in the middle of it-absolutly horrifing.

+1 for the no's.

how?

i don't see any roller coasters coasting around the place.

Have you ever tried to drive from Kinitty to Mountrath. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

I once went on that space round up four times in a row and then vomited blood into a litter bin.
    Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

marcsignal wrote: »

Home maybe?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

darkman2 wrote: »
    Ive fond memories of Mosney when I was a kid. The pool and ,oh, who remembers the 'Space Round up'!? :D I saw someone puke on that once when I was on it and needless to say quite a mess for the people next to them:D What else was there? - The slide obviously - the planes (when I was very small) and wasnt there a restaurant beneath or beside the pool? There where other smaller pools outside aswell on the way in. The lake with those swan yokes and little boats too. The bumper cars where alright when I was small too. Id say Mosney would look very small if it suddenly appeared now but back then, as a kid, it looked really big or something.

And those bumper boat things near the go karts.. That was good craic.. and the walzers.. :D

Found some more pictures....

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=umbnm7.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pool1sf6.jpg

http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pool2bf8.jpg

http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pool3pa8.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cczh9.jpg

http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gokartsdm0.jpg

http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=srukb1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

The other day I was trying to think of which pool I'd been in before that had those weird windows and I couldn't for the life of me remember, it's all coming back to me now...I was always terrified of that free fall slide that they had!!!

That yellow cage thing, were everyone stood in a circle with just a bit of chain across your waist to keep you in was great fun as well!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I used to love the the pedal boats in the shape of swans, the pool, the big hugh candy soothers...memories alright, the chalets use to STINK though!!

Advertisement