Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please & Thank you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Always say please and thank you to anyone I'm asking for or who is providing a service.

I used to work in a shop and hated customers who had no manners.

D4-type w@nker mumbled at me with his thumb up his nose when I was working in a bar. When I said "excuse me" he said "A PINT of BUDweiser!"

With perfect good manners I handed him a pint which had been half-filled from the slops tray.

Mind your manners folks, costs nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

star-pants wrote: »
    I say thanks to them too :)
    Me too.. dunno why you'd get funny looks, everyone seems to say thanks to the bus-driver...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

baraca wrote: »
    Having came across a few very ignorant people today, I was just wondering do you always say please and thank you? It's become a bit of a habit for me i feel awkward getting out of a taxi or buying something in a shop without saying thanks or saying please when asking for something.

Also, If you walk past someone and it's only the two of you around do you always say hello?

It's basic manners to say please and thank you, I always say it were appropriate. Hate when people don't, it's nice to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I always make a point to say Thanks to bus drivers. Sometimes they acknowledge it by saying "See ya now" or "No problem" but more often than not they don't respond. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

cjt156 wrote: »
    Well, maybe from the Soviet imperial oppressors they do...

The Soviets built character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Haven't said please in a while, as I really think its only justified if there is a chance what you are asking for you might not get. I will usually ask for something and then end it with "thanks" as a forgone conclusion that I will get it and I am pre-emptively thanking the person for it. (i.e. "can I have that can of coke, thanks")

beggers and children should be the only people who should need to say please

At least you have half manners, thanks, your welcome (in anticipation of a reply):)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Typical behaviour now seems:

Customer: "Can i get...."

Shop assistants. Well, they don't say much as they are busy texting...

Our new workers from Poland and parts east are pretty good at manners and conversation, apart from shouting one another in Polish etc. ("Jadzinta, we've ran outta Taytos girl!")

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I always say please and thank you...it's amazing the amount of shop assistants/waiters who can't believe you even bothered...must be a lot of really rude people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

D4-type w@nker mumbled at me with his thumb up his nose when I was working in a bar. When I said "excuse me" he said "A PINT of BUDweiser!"

With perfect good manners I handed him a pint which had been half-filled from the slops tray.

Mind your manners folks, costs nothing.

What a contradiction in terms...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I nearly always say please and thankyou, sometimes I'll say it sarcastically or with some sort of odd inflection, smile and say bye as if I was they're best friend just to confuse them more.

I have a terrible habit of saying hello or nodding to people, it's a horrible side effect of being a bogg trotter. I can't help myself even in a city and even to people I wouldn't want to highlight my presence too, I feel weird not acknowledging another persons presence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Poco Loco

I always say please and thank you. I also say sorry anytime I bump into someone, which they never say back!

There are a lot of people who have no manners about the place.
    I guess not on Boards though eh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I always say 'please' and 'thank you'.

Please....thanks for reading.:):):)

enda1 wrote: »
    What a contradiction in terms...

Explain, please.
    (Thanks!)

Think the poster means that its not good manners to throw the slops into someone's pint, even if he wasn't polite to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Poco Loco wrote: »
    I also say sorry anytime I bump into someone, which they never say back!

Well you are the one who bumps into people :).
    If someone bumped into me I wouldn't say sorry. However if I bump into someone else then an apology is sure to follow.

Think the poster means that its not good manners to throw the slops into someone's pint, even if he wasn't polite to you.

Ahh, I see your point.

I don't accept it though!

Thanks for posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I'm so polite, I even say thank you to ATM machines.

i actually know someone who does that.

Ahh, I see your point.

I don't accept it though!

Thanks for posting!

A pleasure, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Always. There is no excuse whatsoever for not having manners.
    Having came across a few very ignorant people today, I was just wondering do you always say please and thank you? It's become a bit of a habit for me i feel awkward getting out of a taxi or buying something in a shop without saying thanks or saying please when asking for something.

Also, If you walk past someone and it's only the two of you around do you always say hello?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

skywalker wrote: »
    I say thanks to the bus driver when getting off, Ive gotten an occasional funny looks for that one. Does everyone else do that?

Yep, can't imagine why you'd get funny looks. I think anyone at work deserves a thank you. And if you can make eye contact, even better. No one likes to be a drone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

the way i've always viewed it is that manners cost you nothing but are worth a lot to the person receiving them so why not use them. I always make a point of making eye contact with people at tills and saying thank you. I guess its because I have perspective of being in their position and people treating you like an atm machine just pushing their money across the counter then extending out their arm waiting for their change before walking away without saying anything. It always made my day better if the customer would actually look at you, ask you about your day and make eye contact to say thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

L31mr0d wrote: »
    the way i've always viewed it is that manners cost you nothing but are worth a lot to the person receiving them so why not use them.

+1
    My work mates dont understand why i say please, thank you, sorry, my apologies....
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I'm a big believer in good manner and I always, say 'please', 'thank you', 'excuse me' and so on.

Also I always look behind me when going through a door to see if somebody is coming behind me and keep the door open for them, the amount of people who blatantly let the door swing in your face is unbelievable, I just don't understand how rude some people are. It costs nothing to have manners and be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Yes to all the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I'm so polite, I even say thank you to ATM machines.

:DMy mum's always doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

misswex wrote: »
    I'm a big believer in good manner and I always, say 'please', 'thank you', 'excuse me' and so on.

Also I always look behind me when going through a door to see if somebody is coming behind me and keep the door open for them, the amount of people who blatantly let the door swing in your face is unbelievable, I just don't understand how rude some people are. It costs nothing to have manners and be nice.

I held the door open for someone in Easons today on my lunch (actually twice I did it) and not one of them said thanks.

If you were going out a door and someone was close behind, how long would you actually hold it open for them? Depending on the humour I'm in I might hang on for 10/15 seconds and the person might then kinda run to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

My thank yous are inversely proportional to the politeness of the person behind the counter. When served with no eye contact, speech or recognition of my presence at all whatsoever (can I mention P***r C**y?) I say a huge loud Thank You Very Much Indeed Thats Great Thanks For Your Help Really Appreciate It Goodbye Now Have A Nice Day Fab Dabee Dozee.

Yeah so I may look like a mentaller but it gets my point across.

Cannot stand lack of manners, surely goes against natural instinct, no? Depends what you grow up with I spose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

misswex wrote: »
    Also I always look behind me when going through a door to see if somebody is coming behind me and keep the door open for them, the amount of people who blatantly let the door swing in your face is unbelievable,

I do that too. I don't like when people ignore the fact that I'm behind them, even less do I like when I hold the door open for someone and they don't say thanks, or smile or anything. What am I, a feckin doorwoman? I just say 'you're welcome' anyway to catch them off guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some people have no concept of the terms 'Please ' and 'Thank you' .

The idea of saying so to sombody else for favors big or small ,or just plain good manners is alien to and beneath them , as if it's a sign of weakness ...in my expierence :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Always.

Like we were all (supposedly) taught; costs nothing, means everything.

I just got back from a week on the continent, did a fair bit of shopping, pubbing and general interaction with people on a formal level and I wasn't once left without an exchange of niceties and general good manners, even barring the language/accent barrier.
    Lo and behold arriving in Dublin ysterday evening to be greeted in the first shop I entered, with a surly native Irish girl busy tapping texts and scowling in customer's general direction....I parted with cash for my overpriced item and left uttering my usual "thanks now" or "cheers" or whatever....I didn't expect to hear anything in return and I duely didn't.

Of course it's not just in situations like this where we seem to be lacking....there's no shortage of lack of manners on our streets, in our towns, in general....but if we can't even consistently manage it in our retail sector then it doesn't bode well...
    I will say this though...never get this attitude from older staff....it's always the young ones and it's normally female. I think I could count on one hand the amount of pleasantries I've had excahnged with me in the last year in any given shopping situation with people below the age of ~25 serving me.

I still always say please and thank you though...and yes, I always mean it.

Advertisement