Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please & Thank you

Options
  • 24-10-2007 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

Having came across a few very ignorant people today, I was just wondering do you always say please and thank you? It's become a bit of a habit for me i feel awkward getting out of a taxi or buying something in a shop without saying thanks or saying please when asking for something.

Also, If you walk past someone and it's only the two of you around do you always say hello?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Maybe not always please and thank you exactly but i would always say "cheers" or "nice one" or something to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Maybe not always please and thank you exactly but i would always say "cheers" or "nice one" or something to that effect

Well, Yeah i didn't really mean the exact words thank you. Rarely say that myself, Anything along the lines thanks.. nice one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

baraca wrote: »
    Having came across a few very ignorant people today, I was just wondering do you always say please and thank you? It's become a bit of a habit for me i feel awkward getting out of a taxi or buying something in a shop without saying thanks or saying please when asking for something.

Also, If you walk past someone and it's only the two of you around do you always say hello?

All the time. If I don't say hello then I just nod politely and smile. Maybe I should get a hat so I could tip it, that would look better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

to ne honest, generally i say hi to people, and always say thanks.

im just very berry nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Always, very mannerful I am indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I've a habit of saying "Grand, thanks". I'd always say hi or smile walking past someone I know. I find it extremely rude if you walk by a person you know fairly well like a work colleague and they ignore you, it may be the 50th time you've walked by them that day but I think it's still polite to say something or smile. Afterall, manners cost nothing!! :D

In recent years (unless at work/in an interview/something formal) I've started using 'Howya' more then 'Hello'. I'm happy with my choice.

As for please and thank you, yep, I always say it. Especially to the bus driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I always, always say "please" & "thank you" or something along those lines. I also say a pointed "You're welcome" if some ignorant git doesn't have the manners to acknowledge my manners.

I'd at least nod or smile to someone if passing them on the street in my home town, but not in the city.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Always say "thank you" to cashiers, bus/taxi drivers etc... it's become a bit of a habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Sometimes forget to say please...:o I always say thank you and I do say hi to total strangers if there's no one else around and they're passing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Of course, I always say please and thank you. Yes, will say hi if I know the person but not in the habit of addressing randomers, only encourages them. The so-called customer service and hospitality sectors in Ireland have gone to pot though. Hate if you are in a shop, have made a purchase and then the shop assistant TALKS TO THEIR MATE WHILE NOT LOOKING AT YOU AND THROWING YOU BACK YOUR CHANGE:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

I always say please and thank you, I also make a point to reminding those at home to do so to

I'm so polite, I even say thank you to ATM machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I always say please and thank you... probably too much.

I don't say hello to strangers, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I always say some form of please & thank you, and if you're walking and someones coming towards you and both go to walk on the same spot - 'sorry' etc..
    I do tend to say hi when passing people or a smile & nod of acknowledgment.
    Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Hate if you are in a shop, have made a purchase and then the shop assistant TALKS TO THEIR MATE WHILE NOT LOOKING AT YOU AND THROWING YOU BACK YOUR CHANGE:mad:

I agree that's annoying - but also being on the other side of the till and having the customer on a mobile phone / chatting to a friend whilst there's a Q behind them & you're trying to get money off them is a *pain*. Especially when you say 'excuse me' to get their attention & they look down their nose at you. That's rude.

Manners cost nothing (unless you're going to a class for them ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

to ne honest, generally i say hi to people, and always say thanks.

im just very berry nice.

So it's just here, online that your a little bit mean and cutting? :p

star-pants wrote: »
    I always say some form of please & thank you, and if you're walking and someones coming towards you and both go to walk on the same spot - 'sorry' etc..

I always say sorry if I go to walk in the same spot as someone else, usually the other person says sorry too. But if the person just wasn't paying attention and bumped into me I wouldn't say sorry just give them a dirty look :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I always say please & thanks, or some variant of it. Don't say hello so often, I'm more of a slighty raise the brows and nod the head type of greeter!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I think I say Thank You too much.. for example I was in Spar earlier and the cashier packed my bag for me while I routed out my money.. and each time he put something into the bag I either said cheers or ta or thanks.. Drives me mad I don't know why I do it.. just need to train myself to wait till the end and give a cumulative thank you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

What ever happened to 'excuse me'!? I'm always saying 'sorry' too but I really mean 'excuse me'. I'm trying to stop saying it, cos it annoys me when someone walks into me, mumbles 'sorry' and doesn't even look at me. It's just the lazy way out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'm so polite, I even say thank you to ATM machines.

:D

I sometimes say thanks when there is no need to at all, just out of habit. Like this one time a few years back, me and my sister were in a car crash and we both said thanks to the guy whose fault it was :confused:

I heard of someone before who walked into a pole and said sorry :D:D

stephen p wrote: »
    I heard of someone before who walked into a pole and said sorry :D:D

Thats just silly. Polish people don't deserve an apology :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

boreds wrote: »
    Thats just silly. Polish people don't deserve an apology :)

Well, maybe from the Soviet imperial oppressors they do...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Haven't said please in a while, as I really think its only justified if there is a chance what you are asking for you might not get. I will usually ask for something and then end it with "thanks" as a forgone conclusion that I will get it and I am pre-emptively thanking the person for it. (i.e. "can I have that can of coke, thanks")

beggers and children should be the only people who should need to say please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Always try to say please & thanks where appropriate. Wouldnt really say hello to strangers much.

I say thanks to the bus driver when getting off, Ive gotten an occasional funny looks for that one. Does everyone else do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

baraca wrote: »

I say thank you several times even if I'm just buying a drink in a shop. If someone blatantly walked into me in the middle of the street I'd still say sorry. Having manners is a definite credit to anyone; manners says a lot about anyone, generally. Unless you're one of those serial killers....charming on the outside...messed up on the inside...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Always say please and thank you to anyone I'm asking for or who is providing a service.

I used to work in a shop and hated customers who had no manners.

Has anyone ever gone to a restaurant and have the waiter say ''Please'' when he puts a plate in front of you? It happened us the other night in an Indian. And I went to a Chinese a few years ago and the waitress said 'thanks you' when she handed each of us our meals. I didn't know whether to say thanks, or your welcome :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

skywalker wrote: »
    I say thanks to the bus driver when getting off, Ive gotten an occasional funny looks for that one. Does everyone else do that?

I say thanks to them too :)

Advertisement