Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who did you tip last night?.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

My manners are impeccable when in a taxi or at a bar etc. I tip but ONLY if it has been earned. People earn a wage to do their job - they get a tip if they exceed the call of duty. Quite simple. And I do tip well if this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Jigsaw wrote: »
    My manners are impeccable when in a taxi or at a bar etc. I tip but ONLY if it has been earned. People earn a wage to do their job - they get a tip if they exceed the call of duty. Quite simple. And I do tip well if this happens.

QFT, nail on head, buy that man a pint, etc.

I'm fairly old-fashioned when it comes to manners - I'm old enough to have grown up in Old Ireland - but there's no damn way I'm paying somebody extra just for doing their damn job. Do an excellent job above and beyond the call of duty and I'll tip. Not otherwise. And I'll always be polite even to utter arseholes, because I was brought up better than that. And that's how it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

people working in toilets are not there to help you wipe your arse. They are there to make sure they are no spurious claims for injury from pissed up Irish people who say they fell on a wet floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

rb_ie wrote: »
    What are you people?Jewish or broke?
    Terry wrote: »
    What do you mean by that?
    I gave you a couple of days to explain that comment.
    You failed to respond, so you are now banned for what I believe to be a racist comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

tbh wrote: »
    people working in toilets are not there to help you wipe your arse. They are there to make sure they are no spurious claims for injury from pissed up Irish people who say they fell on a wet floor.

That's just another excuse and attempt to guilt-trip everyone into giving these chancers money.

They aren't employees of the establishment, they are begging for cash tax-free - illegally - and most of them don't have a word of English. And you expect me to believe they'll be considered credible witnesses in an insurance-claim court case, if they turned up at all.

Complete rubbish.

The Revenue should do a bunch of them for unpaid taxes, and then a few bar owners for facilitating illegal earnings on the premises, and wipe this scourge from Irish society, ASAP. The rest of us should be very vocal in expressing our disapproval to bar managers, and should boycott pubs and clubs where it goes on.

Down with this sort of thing! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If they dont have work permits and a lot of them dont,the bar is commiting a criminal offence by allowing them to scrounge on the premises.If they DO have work permits they should go somewhere and get a bloody job and pay taxes like everybody else.I dont object to giving a waiter or what have you a quid for a job very well done but i'll never tip somebody for either doing nothing,or doing something badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

i'll tip a taximan the change because they take so long to get it out

MooseJam wrote: »
    i'll tip a taximan the change because they take so long to get it out

I wont.And i wont tip delivery people either especially as they often try to avoid giving you the change in the hope you'll let them keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

stepbar wrote: »
    Yep.... like its hard to keep a toilet in supply of bog roll, air freshener and paper towels.

Can any females confirm if the ladies have "toilet attendants" as well?

Yes they do..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes they do..

Where do I send my cv?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Where do I send my cv?

YUK!.

Having worked in bars & clubs for over 15yrs I can promise you nothing will prepare you for the stench of the female toilets.

Think about the worse males toilets you've used, and imagine it a hundred times worse in any female toilets!.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Degsy wrote: »
    If they dont have work permits and a lot of them dont,the bar is commiting a criminal offence by allowing them to scrounge on the premises.If they DO have work permits they should go somewhere and get a bloody job and pay taxes like everybody else.I dont object to giving a waiter or what have you a quid for a job very well done but i'll never tip somebody for either doing nothing,or doing something badly.

Do you ( or anyone else in fact) think that any waiter or barman etc gives a **** if you give him a quid for his troubles???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

People who don't tip poker dealers have bad luck - Fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Dalfiatach wrote: »
    That's just another excuse and attempt to guilt-trip everyone into giving these chancers money.

They aren't employees of the establishment, they are begging for cash tax-free - illegally - and most of them don't have a word of English. And you expect me to believe they'll be considered credible witnesses in an insurance-claim court case, if they turned up at all.

Complete rubbish.

The Revenue should do a bunch of them for unpaid taxes, and then a few bar owners for facilitating illegal earnings on the premises, and wipe this scourge from Irish society, ASAP. The rest of us should be very vocal in expressing our disapproval to bar managers, and should boycott pubs and clubs where it goes on.

Down with this sort of thing! :mad:

or you could just walk out without giving them any money, and not let it get to you. Is that so difficult?

ps - I don't care what you believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

People are paid to do thier job. Tips arent required !!!

To get a tip they should have done above and beyond their job they are paid for.

Tipping a taxi driver because his cab is clean is just plain stupid.
    Tipping a waitress becuase she brought you a beer is also stupid, after tips these girls go home with a crazy amounts of money for doing a job that takes very little brains / skill.

Tackle69 wrote: »
    Do you ( or anyone else in fact) think that any waiter or barman etc gives a **** if you give him a quid for his troubles???

I couldnt give a **** what any waiter or barman thinks.He has a job description:serve the feckin drink/food,do it properly and shut the fcuck up.Anything he does over and above that is an extra for which he MAY be tipped at the customer's descretion.If they dont like it they can get another poxy job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Smoggy wrote: »
    these girls go home with a crazy amounts of money for doing a job that takes very little brains / skill.

*chuckles* Very little skill? You've never worked in a bar before, have ya? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Not to mention the anti-social hours these people work. Granted they should be paid by their employer for this, but there is a lot more to working in a bar/club then people seem to think.

I'm not saying they should be tipped, but at least give them credit for doing a decent job. If they go above the call of duty i tend to give them a few quid.

Advertisement