Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who did you tip last night?.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭oneeyedsnake

Mairt wrote: »
    I take it most of us went out last night, on the beer, for a meal or to catch a show.

So who did you tip, how much, why and who didn't downright deserve one?.

For me it was two Taxi drivers, two sounds lads with nice clean cars. Both fares were just over €9- so I tipped the change plus two euro.

Threw some change into one of those charity jar's in two pubs.

Got an Indian on the way home so didn't have to tip waiting staff.

The first taxi last night (we got three in total) was a w@nker, dirty car. Was pissed off we were only going around the corner, so I waited for all my change.

Normally for good service I'll tip 15%, but I never feel obliged to tip but I think it does encourage a better service.

Last night I tipped your ma 200% cos she was fantastic.2 euro well earnt imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭oneeyedsnake

everywhere around the world at some satge or another more like mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

but you see these toilets are clean this days... Wherever there is an attendant you find near-clean toilets and toilet roll.

Yep.... like its hard to keep a toilet in supply of bog roll, air freshener and paper towels.

Can any females confirm if the ladies have "toilet attendants" as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

everywhere around the world at some satge or another more like mate.

Aye, so that makes it OK to import such barbarian practices into Ireland. Themmuns did it first :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

zabbo wrote: »
    I don't think they're employed though, they work for free, and make their money on the tips or something.

As a former barman I can tell you that

1. They work for free and rely on tips
    2. We got more complaints than praise by having toilet attendants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

micmclo wrote: »
    As a former barman I can tell you that

1. They work for free and rely on tips
    2. We got more complaints than praise by having toilet attendants.

Actually I don't like bar/clubs with toilet attendants, I find it embarressing and demeaning.

Although those guys are earning a stack of tax free money so I don't think they find it in the least bit embarressing at all.

Taxi's, well I'm a people person and like someone to have the craic with and if I get it off the cabbie damn right I'll tip. I won't tip for a cranky ol' whore.

Waiting staff I'll tip as although I know they're earning minium wage most have big expenses like accommodation & school fee's outside of work and while I'm fairly flush they're not.

Oh my hairdresser/barber. The charge is €12:50 for a dry cut, the girl I use does a superb job, including my brows so I tip her the change out of €20- everytime.

At christmas my binmen, postman and butcher all get big tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I think that some people here think that people employed in the service industry expect to get tips.... well i'm a barman and i don't expect it, in fact i almost hate it because i feel that people are embarrased not to give you something. Obviously its nice if someone buys you a pint or slips you a fiver when you know and they know you did a good job but i certainly wouldn't give a **** if someone didn't tip me.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I tipped my taxi €5 last Saturday night after he saved me and my mate from walking another 6km at 8am... Hackneys should be shot for leaving you stranded tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Went for a few coffees during the day, tipped whatever change was handed back to me. Wasn't much, maybe 80c.

Tipped the pizza guy a few €, pizza was around €27 so left him with the €30!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Mairt wrote: »

Taxi's, well I'm a people person and like someone to have the craic with and if I get it off the cabbie damn right I'll tip. I won't tip for a cranky ol' whore.

Waiting staff I'll tip as although I know they're earning minium wage most have big expenses like accommodation & school fee's outside of work and while I'm fairly flush they're not.

Oh my hairdresser/barber. The charge is €12:50 for a dry cut, the girl I use does a superb job, including my brows so I tip her the change out of €20- everytime.

At christmas my binmen, postman and butcher all get big tips.

Thats really what this thread is about - Look at me, Im fairly flush, and I give tips to the plebs - that makes me a wonderful person with the common touch. Why didnt you post how fu*king wonderful you were when you started this thread, and get it over with.
    What a load of sh1te.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

gyppo wrote: »
    Thats really what this thread is about - Look at me, Im fairly flush, and I give tips to the plebs - that makes me a wonderful person with the common touch. Why didnt you post how fu*king wonderful you were when you started this thread, and get it over with.
    What a load of sh1te.:rolleyes:

Oh come on now, don't just sit in the gutter crying.

Yea I'm flush, and live a comfortable life. I'm an all round great guy, with two nice car's a beautiful & successful wife, a house here, one in Spain and another in Turkey. I've a few holidays per year, but I couldn't live with my myself if I didn't thrown some of that wealth down your way.

So come on, get up off your ass and you too could be just like me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mairt, don't feed the trolls.

Gyppo warned.

Terry wrote: »
    Mairt, don't feed the trolls.

Gyppo warned.

Sorry T it never dawned on me he was trolling. Delete my post if you wish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd never dream of even tipping the likes of binmen and postmen!! Why the **** should they get a tip?

Would you go over and tip your GP? Unlikely now isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

What do you mean by that?

its a common slur used against the jewish people comes from middle ages paple dictats against usuary that ment only non-christians could lend money at a rate of return

With regards to America and Ireland, the difference is that waiting staff in America do not make very much and rely on their tips to get their wages to a half decent level.
    Waiting staff in Ireland make minimum wage. Well they're entitled to it anyway.

in america they make min wage also

i'd tip in ireland but not in the states unless they deserved it
    reason i like to be different

rbd wrote: »
    its a common slur used against the jewish people comes from middle ages paple dictats against usuary that ment only non-christians could lend money at a rate of return
    Thanks, but the question wasn't directed at you.

I want an answer from rb_ie.

I'd never dream of even tipping the likes of binmen and postmen!! Why the **** should they get a tip?

Would you go over and tip your GP? Unlikely now isn't it?

in the old days we tipped the binmen cause they'd take anythin away no need for a skip (and all the hasseles involved) just wait for the bins 5throw then a score and they'd help lob everything in

dosent work anymore tho
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

people who tip = idiots

if you want to tip go to the USA otherwise leave that culture where it is.

We are ripped off enough as it is.

Go play Lord Mac Tipply Nipples somewhere else.

Thanks, but the question wasn't directed at you.

dont mind me i'm giddy

magick wrote: »
    play Lord Mac Tipply Nipples .

can i be the french maid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Should have put a poll on this one. I think this is a new thing in Ireland that became prevalent when the boom hit. And more and more people are beginning to do it.

I think it's ridiculous. I understand it to a certain extent in America where wages can be very, very bad (but really hated tipping bar staff there as the job they perform is so easy compared to shop assistants etc., yet they get tips and the shop assistant doesn't!), but I don't think the same applies in Ireland. The wages are better in general, and if the employee isn't been payed enough then the owner should be paying the staff better, not me.

I believe you should be charged what the service/product is actually worth, and should not be expected to hand over any extra.

magick wrote: »
    people who tip = idiots

if you want to tip go to the USA otherwise leave that culture where it is.

We are ripped off enough as it is.

Go play Lord Mac Tipply Nipples somewhere else.
    I don't see a problem with tipping lounge staff.

They bring you beer and get paid very little to do it.

bman wrote:
    Should have put a poll on this one. I think this is a new thing in Ireland that became prevalent when the boom hit. And more and more people are beginning to do it.
    It's not new.
    I was a lounge boy 16 years ago and people would tip me.
    They tipped the hot chicks more, but gave it's still tipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I tipped no one this weekend. Why should I?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

From working in a bar I noticed something. I'd get a drink bought for me once in a while when I did a huge order and was very friendly and nice (still rarely enough), the girls got tips almost every time they served a bloke depending on how sluttily they dressed. Society rewards slaggishness enough. Bollocks to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

tipping is up to the individual...giving out about people tipping is like complaining that they shop in superquinn when tesco is cheaper.
    if i feel the service in a restraunt warrants a tip then i leave one but i dont feel pressured to do so.not like in america where they will run after you(happened last year to a group of us)if you dont tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I haven't had an occasion tip anyone recently but I do tip cabbies & waiting staff, however I did get €53+ in tips driving my cab on Friday night.

My best tip night was about a month ago when I got €85 in tips on a Saturday night. I love the tipping public & all I have to do is be nice & hold the door for them when they enter/exit......

TJ911...

Doodee wrote: »
    A Guiness, Jameson + coke and 2 Jager cost 24.60.
    Soon the people getting tipped will earn more than the people tipping them!

... how?

I only tip if I feel they deserve it. If they've been nice to me and helpful, they deserve a tip. Unfortunately, most places I've been lately haven't deserved one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

The-Rigger wrote: »
    mmm, If you said that stateside, they'd call the feds in a heartbeat.

With that said, tipping barmen in the U.S? WTF is that about? They must be serving 30 - 200+ drinks an hour
    depending on how busy the bar/club is. And you are expected to tip them a dollar per drink? It is their job to
    serve drinks, are they trying to make bartending one of the highest paid jobs on the planet?

Damn Fvcking straight. Just back from a coule of months in Manhatten. Met some mates of mine who had come over for a holiday in a bar in Times Sq, $10 a bee. He got the order fvcked up and the blew me a dirty look when I didnt tip him

Fvck tipping in Ireland the Minimum wage is almost E 10 now. Anyone who tips is a mug. There the same gimps who by girls they dont know drinks in bars, who then take there drink and quickly dissaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

rbd wrote: »
    can i be the french maid?

Rarrrr ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

To be honest as a taxi driver I like tips ( no sane person would refuse one! ) but their not essential. It also helps if people don't want to feck around with the odd cents on a fare but, again its not essential, however, I feel its right to point out that in my experience the ones who DON'T tip are almost always the ones who don't even bother saying please and thankyou, I provide a service and a please and thankyou do go a longway, so next time any of you non tippers are in a shop/hairdressers/bar wherever be polite it won't cost you a red cent!

Advertisement