Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Toolbox Thread

Options
  • 18-10-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

When Pighead was a kid every man around the area had a huge toolbox sitting proudly on display on a big shelf in their big shed. There was tools and instruments of all shapes sizes and colours. Pretty sure 80% of them were never used.

The size of the toolbox seemed to indicate how manly the bloke was. The bigger the toolbox the more masculine the man. Pigheads toolbox consists of two screwdrivers and a swiss army knife. Well actually for toolbox, read drawer in the kitchen.

Whenever the clan are gathered for funerals weddings etc the older male relations will start yakking on about their brand new power tools or multi purpose drill bits. They always notice the glazed look on Pigheads face and one of them will invariably pat me on the head and say something like "The men are talking now Pighead, why don't you go over to the women and join in their talk of tapestry and flower arranging.

Is the art of the toolbox dying out or is it just Pighead whos somehow missed this manly boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Hey Pighead, i've seen your posts before and always thought you were a bit weird, but here goes.. I think a man does need a tool box with a reasonable selection of screwdrivers, spanners, socket set etc. Doesn't have to be a professional tool chest however.
    It's much the same as how every women should have a sewing set / box..
    You go a bit weird on the whole funeral / wedding, tapestry flower arranging bit, so i'll steer clear of that bit of the post..
    Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I have two screwdrivers also.
    That's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

my dad has a whole shed FULL of tools n stuff. I think he owns nearly everything you can get (apart from silly gimmicky things..and industrial stuff lol). We've run out of things to buy him for birthday/christmas/fathers day.

I think every household should have a decent tool box.
    You know when you're over in someones house n you might be helping to fix something & you ask if they've a simple screwdriver or hammer or pliers and they've none...
    Guess I'm just used to always having access to them.

Two screwdrivers (flat head & phillips I'll assume?) and swiss army knife are better than nothing! (although, check out Leathermans --they're cool)(brand of army knife)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You'll have to ask your sister about Mairts toolbox ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Pighead wrote: »
    Is the art of the toolbox dying out or is it just Pighead whos somehow missed this manly boat?

I'm afraid you missed the boat there PigFace... This has been a topic of conversation recently. Apparently Lidl is the place to go for your tool boxes!

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    You'll have to ask your sister about Mairts toolbox ;)

He calls himself Pigman. Do you really want to associate your toolbox with his sister?? She could very easily be pigwoman and would you really want Pigwoman having info about your tool box!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

A dusty box containing screwdrivers, sockets, soldering irons, allen keys, a hammer and the like, is a must in every manly man's life. Most of this stuff should be used at some stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The bigger the toolbox, the more bottles of Whiskey you can get in 'em. That's why there are so many accidents involving DIY tools. It's nothing to do with incompetence, it's more to do with alcohol poisoning.

"I'm just making a new table, dear"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Whats the etiquette with regards to passing on of toolboxes? When Papa Pighead dies will his toolbox be automatically be passed down to me. What if the sis wants it, what if Pighead doesn't want it? Is it rude to say no?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You've missed the manly boat Piggie, you're what we call a metrosexual.
    Even I have more tools than you, 5 screw drivers, varies sized alan keys, a hammer, sprocked wrench, normal wrench, 2 plyers, nails, screws..
    Next you'll be telling us you can't change a plug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Whats the etiquette with regards to passing on of toolboxes? When Papa Pighead dies will his toolbox be automatically be passed down to me. What if the sis wants it, what if Pighead doesn't want it? Is it rude to say no?

Tisn't rude -- might be left in the will for you, but you can always give it to your sister if she wants it.
    My grandfather left his tools to my dad in his will - dad took the few pieces he wanted & told his sisters to have the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It should be put in the coffin. When they wake up from their alcohol-induced coma, they might find something to assist them in carving their way through the lid and six feet of earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ibh wrote: »
    He calls himself Pigman. Do you really want to associate your toolbox with his sister?? She could very easily be pigwoman and would you really want Pigwoman having info about your tool box!!:eek:

You wouldn't believe the amount of pigfaced wimmins I've screwed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Even I have more tools than you, 5 screw drivers, varies sized alan keys, a hammer, sprocked wrench, normal wrench, 2 plyers, nails, screws..
    First off Pigheads reported you for calling him a metrosexual.

Second off, surely the fact Pighead doesn't have a toolbox means he's actually more manly than most of the populace. Take this scenario for example.

Typical Irish Man: Hey ya honeypops, how are you today
    Typical Irish Mans Chick: I'm pretty good. Now put up those shelves for me in the kitchen
    Typical Irish Man: Yes Dear. I'll get my toolbox and do it immediately.
    Typical Irish Mans Chick:(Muttering) What a bloody pushover.

Pighead: Alright babes, how the fcuk are ya
    Miss Piggy: I'm pretty good. Now put up those shelves for me in the kitchen
    Pighead: no can do babes. Don't have a toolbox.
    Miss Piggy: Fair enough, lets make love instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I have loads of hand & power tools, more than I can fit in my toolbox.

I have used most of them to ruin stuff whilst attempting to assemble it or fix it to a wall or floor.

ibh wrote: »

I mistakingly called Pigface, Pigman. And Pigface's sister is just Pigface as well. But the feminine form.. (I think you add an e or an I or some sh!te like that. I was no good at French at school. Or English for that matter...)

And Mairt, at least you openly admit going for pigfaced women.. Some people deny it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

lets make love instead.

More proof of metrosexuality I'm afraid. Real men have sex with the missus ... only the pussy whipped ones make love to her :p

Also the very fact that the Miss Piggy has to ask you to have sex with her further demanlifies you :D

In my house there's a tool press instead of a box. A tool for every occasion but the problem is some other fecker has it already "borrowed".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

A 17 year old car and being too cheap to pay a mechanic means I have to have a few bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I have about ten or more toolboxes, full to the brim with ****e rusty tools, I have several of everything, but have lost my power planer, and disk saw, beast that yoke, old rusty and ready to sever!

All my dads old stuff and an engineer I knew that moved to England, some I bought myself, but I've collected them all the same.

I've a serious collection in my room, I 've three full socket wrench sets, a few alan key sets, hammers drills electric screwdrivers, solderers suffice to say I've alot of tools.

In meath.

I'm in Dublin now for 3 years.

In meath they will stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

but would you rent your box? for pigheads meager tool (collection)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if yuou have a computer, you should probably own a screwdriver....

and if you own an amd, you probably need a pliers just to get the heatsink off.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Mordeth wrote: »
    and if you own an amd, you probably need a pliers just to get the heatsink off.
    Ah yes that is always fun isn't it.

I also have many many tools, in many many places.....

(In other words i'm always losing them)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I have lots of tools, but they're all little tools, not really much used for putting up shelves or fixing a diesel engine but great for taking apart a laptop or other such gizmo. Multimeter, little screwdrivers, little pliers, little power drill even.

Is it still manly if all your tools are really little?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

We have two toolboxes in our household. I have the real tools in a real proper metal toolbox and he has a little dinky plastic toolbox full of little teeny tiny tools for electronics. Guess who needs to borrows whose tools more often! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

"Pat wants to put his massive tool in my box"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Yeah, as I turned 20 I started noticing all the tools they're selling in lidle n aldi.
    I have a fair few screwdrivers, pliers, renches, hack saws, files, alan keys.
    But I constantly find myself thinking "Wow, nice angle grinder. I'd probably never use it..............it must be mine!"

Part of growing up.

And yeah pigface, what would you do if you had to unclog a pipe, or needed to change a socket?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Just you all wait till Pig(face)(man)(head) comes back to clear up exactly what his name is for all you people. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Pighead's a tool in his own right.

Incidentally, I looked at the AH ban list the other day and it tells me you are banned. Git oot.

o/t
    Lots and lots of everyday tools, like screwdrivers, allen keys, wrenches, spanners, pliers, pincers and the like.
    Also, a 4.5" and 9" angle grinders with diamond tipped blades.
    Two tile cutters. One large, one small.
    750 watt power drill.
    16 watt electric screwdriver.
    2 hacksaws. One large, one small.
    Electric jigsaw.
    Various other bits and pieces which come in handy from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I have a kitchen knife.

I had bought verious toolsets over the years, but in moving around I'd managed to loose all of them. Kitchen knife suits every job now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

connundrum wrote: »
    Kitchen knife suits every job now.

Tut tut :(

Advertisement