Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Moron" truck driver hits bridge in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

I apologise to the OP. I didnt think they'd describe him as an idiot and a moron. Thats bloody classic

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

This happened in Madrid last summer. It was a bridge for pedestrians to cross over the motorway and I was in an apartment block pretty close by; it felt like an earthquake! Luckily there were no people actually on the bridge when the truck hit it..

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Fair deuce to Iarnrod Eireann, I'd prefer to hear that some moron was the reason I was late rather than some leaves on the track or points failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I hope this truck driver feels bad, he made thousands of people late for work this morning. Unfortunately, I wasn't won of them! I was on the last dart to get through because I had an early meeting. I would have liked a little sit down on the dart for a while instead of coming in to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I'm getting a bit sick of IE calling people idiots and morons when 90% of the time I'm delayed due to their own utter incompetence.

Simple solution:
    - IE compensate every passenger affected by bridge strike, say 10 quid each
    - IE go after haulage company for this compensation
    - Haulage company sacks driver

Not much point fining them 50 grand, when the people affected by the problem don't get anything out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Daddio wrote: »
    Careful now. :rolleyes:

You two really need to get different avatars and star numbers (both also have 4 stars), for a fraction of a second I thought Terry had gone off the deep end and was replying to his own post saying he'd give his own girlfriend a dart...:confused::o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

"The bridges around the Grand Canal Dock area are visibly very low," a spokesman said. "It takes a peculiar type of moron not to be aware of that."
    Glad to see someone at last using the correct terminology.

Gives regular morans a bad name though.

Saw another truck stop inches from hitting that bridge a while back, the look on his face.:eek:

Bridge strikes was discussed on RTE radio a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

kearnsr wrote: »
    Its their responsibility to make themselves aware of the vehicle they are driving. Its called common sense

I never said he wasn't a moron, but these things happen, the driver would probably agree it was stupid mistake to make

These are the type of warning system Iarnrod Eireann need to invest in
    http://www.laservision.com.au/page.asp?lid=1&sec=Hot+Press&id=130

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    He knows now!
    Let's not forget the muppet who was extracted from one bridge and then hit another the same day,
    Mairt wrote: »
    How was the height shown?.

Maybe the driver was east European and didn't understand feet and inches!.
    Aren't they all metric now.
    Once there is a low bridge warning sign they should be able to do the driver for not driving with due care and attention.

http://transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=7670&lang=ENG&loc=1888
    I am aware from Iarnród Éireann that the number of bridge strikes by heavy goods vehicles has increased from 82 in 1995 to 203 in 2005.

Iarnród Éireann has taken a number of initatives to reduce the incidence of bridge strikes including a signage programme on all headroom restricted bridges and an information and publicity campaign to highlight the need for care and attention on the part of HGV drivers. Iarnród Éireann has also published a map identifying each bridge height and has distributed the map to hauliers.

It should also be noted that Section 138 of the Railway Safety Act, 2005 provides for increased penalties up to €50,000 and /or imprisonment for up to 3 years - for bridge strikes.

Just waiting for a supertruck to get jammed in the port tunnel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.laoistoday.ie/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=3806&ArticleID=3255517
    IARNROD Éireann has labeled truckers who hit the railway bridges in Portlaoise as the dumbest in Ireland. In a statement released last Monday, entitled "Dumb and Dumber", they questioned the basic intelligence and competence of the drivers involved in these incidents.
    The number of trucks hitting bridges in the town continues to dramatically outstrip the rest of the country - raising concerns for pedestrians and motorists alike.
    The Mountrath Road Bridge, with 17 incidents so far this year, and the Mountmellick Road Bridge, with 13, are the two most hit bridges in the country. Despite clear height signage, and the recent installation of new infra-red technology, the problem persists.
    The infra-red technology triggers a large motorway-style light display to flash the message "Vehicle Too high Divert Now" at the nearest junction to the bridge to alert drivers whose trucks exceed the permitted height. Despite this, there have been 30 bridge strikes between these two locations so far this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just waiting for a supertruck to get jammed in the port tunnel.
    Don't the lights go to red and the barrier drops if an over-height vehicle ignores the "too high - divert now" signage?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Very good press release I wish more companies would say things like this.

A few months ago in the UK there was a newspaper which conducted an investigation into some former-military socialite, Major (Insert double-barrelled name) DSO KBE OBE and a crapload of other acronyms, as there was perhaps some concern over the veracity of his claim. Amongst the people the newspaper contacted was the Army. The officer was very forthright: "This gentleman has never held the Queen's comission. He has not served in the Army. As far as we can tell, he was never even in the cadets. Perhaps I might suggest the Space Cadets?"

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

was doing the other thread of random google images and stumbled across this
    http://www.chris.obyrne.com/Fun/Bus/bus1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

star-pants wrote: »
    was doing the other thread of random google images and stumbled across this
    http://www.chris.obyrne.com/Fun/Bus/bus1.jpg

Brilliant, I guess it fits now
    but shouldnt that read "Height Watchers from Heinz."

That should be the inspiration for a novel approach.
    Rather than advise trucks about the height of bridge,
    Put can opener signs on bridge
    Install large sharp blades sticking out just below bridge
    Advise them of the what their vehicle height will be after the bridge.
    For most the top should shear off fairly easily.
    Never have the same problem twice:D

wil wrote: »
    Put can opener signs on bridge
    Install large sharp blades sticking out just below bridge
    Advise them of the what their vehicle height will be after the bridge.
    For most the top should shear off fairly easily.
    Never have the same problem twice:D
    That won't make any difference. When you pass a sign that doesn't affect you several times, the sign becomes redundant. A truck driver may go under a bridge 1000 times with a load that just fits nicely under the bridge. One day he goes to the docks and picks up a container that is 15cm taller than the norm. Complacency sets in on his journey. He's travelled this route thousands of times before. He's on auto pilot. He's thinking about his destination, paperwork, family, etc. All of a sudden BANG!!!

why the hell don't they just put up an "idiot bar" (200mm lower than the bridge) 100m before the bridge, it least if a driver hits that, all he does is hit a "warning" rather than the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

why the hell don't they just put up an "idiot bar" (200mm lower than the bridge) 100m before the bridge, it least if a driver hits that, all he does is hit a "warning" rather than the real thing.

Buy that man a pint, a suggestion that makes perfect sense and would be a hell of a lot cheaper than installing loads of fancy infra-red technology everywhere at a cost of millions.

Which is exactly why it'll never be implemented in this increasingly-insane country we live in...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ever consider a civil engineers job with your local council because this idea just made you the State Expert on civil engineering.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Back in the days that you used to be able to walk on top of trains (at least, if you were part of the train crew), they used to install what were known as "tell-tales" in front of every tunnel and low bridge. They were basically a bunch of ropes dangling from a bar. If you happened to be facing the rear of the train, and you felt this rope hit you, duck!

NTM

I think they did that on the East Wall Road which has/used to have the most struck bridge in the country.

Just in case lots of non-truck drivers out there are wondering how idiots can manage to hit bridges, spend a few hours in Dublin Airport and watch all SUV/MPV drivers entering the short term multi-storeys and forgetting that they have roof boxes attached! Ouch! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement