Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Moron" truck driver hits bridge in Dublin

Options
  • 18-10-2007 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

A truck crashed into the railway bridge at Grand Canal Dock this morning causing delays to the DART. Iarnrod Eireann quote is deadly:
    "The bridges around the Grand Canal Dock area are visibly very low," a spokesman said. "It takes a peculiar type of moron not to be aware of that."

EDIT: Spelt Moron wrong in the title! Mods can you change?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Yeah right. Got a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Heh heh, Touché!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

... they even have height warnings on the side of the bridges to state how high it is.... surely if you drive a truck you should have a general idea how tall your truck is...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Excellent, allowed me to piss about some before work training started.

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    surely if you drive a truck you should have a general idea how tall your truck is...?

He knows now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Lololol! But with the amount of bridge hits which have happened in the history of bridges, you'd have to think that truck drivers are lacking in the necessary spacial awareness.

I often drive into the liftable barriers on the M50 toll bridge.. I swear I'm getting closer to clearing them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well if its not the drivers normal truck or he's used to having more clearance I can understand it happening, maybe he had other things on his mind, maybe his granny had died.

Any pictures of the truck/driver/bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

How was the height shown?.

Maybe the driver was east European and didn't understand feet and inches!.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Heh Heh Heh - That's pretty funny.

Woooot - Post No: 3000!

• Advertisement

... they even have height warnings on the side of the bridges to state how high it is....

Edit -- I'm not certain if *that* bridge has the height on it (I work just around the corner) and there's another dart bridge just 2 roads south of the GCD one and it has an LCD type sign up stating the low bridge. They're fairly low ... and narrow enough (just about fit two cars past each other) -- I walked under the GCD one lastnight and I would consider it low enough... (can't gauge a height though I'm afraid)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Very good press release I wish more companies would say things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Edit -- I'm not certain if *that* bridge has the height on it (I work just around the corner) and there's another dart bridge just 2 roads south of the GCD one and it has an LCD type sign up stating the low bridge. They're fairly low ... and narrow enough (just about fit two cars past each other) -- I walked under the GCD one lastnight and I would consider it low enough... (can't gauge a height though I'm afraid)

I think you might be talking about the bridge at the 98FM offices and the OP is talking about the bridge at the DART station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Congrats eo!!

Yeah I saw this idiot truck driver this morning - traffic was being turned around of course but no trouble going past on a bike.

Four or five guards crouched down by the wheels looking pretty bored as they let the air out of the tires. Our idiot was up on top of the truck with his hand on his digger arm that had scraped a big scratch into the bottom of the bridge (and not the first one either!).

It was one of those big building site trucks with a crane arm and the arm just wasn't flat, it was sticking up over the height of the truck because of the amount of rubble there.

Ya wouldn't think there was any serious damage to the bridge, but I guess the trains will be off all morning as they inspect it.

Mairt wrote: »
    I think you might be talking about the bridge at the 98FM offices and the OP is talking about the bridge at the DART station.

Yes the one you walk under to get to the DART station at GCD? (I got the DART from GCD station lastnight & back -- I assume that's the one OPs talking about) I was saying there is one further south off Haddington Road that has the height/warning on it for definite - but wasn't certain there was a sign on the one at the DART

I'm not sure which bridge they are referring too. All I know is what the Independent have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Thanks to him i got to spend 30 mins in pearse this morning. :rolleyes:

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I drove under it this morning on the way into work via the footpath. It was a truck with some kind of crane thing incorporated into it. The top was wedged into the underside of the bridge, leaving a nasty looking scar. They'll have some fun getting that thing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

haha, good to hear some people talking straight for a change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

eolhc wrote: »
    Well if its not the drivers normal truck or he's used to having more clearance I can understand it happening, maybe he had other things on his mind, maybe his granny had died.

Any pictures of the truck/driver/bridge?

Its their responsibility to make themselves aware of the vehicle they are driving. Its called common sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    A truck crashed into the railway bridge at Grand Canal Dock this morning causing delays to the DART. Iarnrod Eireann quote is deadly:

EDIT: Spelt Moron wrong in the title! Mods can you change?
    Didn't this happen just over a week ago aswell? I posted up something on transport forum about it - my gf was trying to get a dart and ended up having run back to get the bus instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Daddio wrote: »
    Didn't this happen just over a week ago aswell? I posted up something on transport forum about it - my gf was trying to get a dart and ended up having run back to get the bus instead.
    I'll give her a dart.

Sorry. It was just there. I had to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Terry wrote: »
    I'll give her a dart.

Sorry. It was just there. I had to do it.
    Careful now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

That feckin eejit made me an hour late for work *shakes fist*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

azezil wrote: »

its a pain in the hole isnt it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lol, great press release.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Lol, great press release.

Its just a pity it wont make an difference on the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

azezil wrote: »
    kearnsr wrote: »
    its a pain in the hole isnt it

*** Heh Heh ***

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The driver will know all about it when his company gets the fine for the bridge strike, i believe they've up'ed it from €3K -> €50K last year.... that's assuming its an Irish registered truck / company.... if it's not Irish registered they should just take the truck till the fine is paid, but i doubt they would...

• Advertisement

The driver will know all about it when his company gets the fine for the bridge strike, i believe they've up'ed it from €3K -> €50K last year.... that's assuming its an Irish registered truck / company.... if it's not Irish registered they should just take the truck till the fine is paid, but i doubt they would...

Have they been actually collecting money on this? Maybe i've missed it but I've yet to see reports in the press about it

Advertisement