Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Wars in LKY

Options
  • 15-10-2007 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

Well the students are only back a few weeks and the Nite-clubs in Letterkenny have started a price war to get the students on a wed and thur night.
    This is the two newest clubs in Letterkenny, wont mention names.
    One of them is charging €3 per drink and buy one get one free, so say you order a vodka and coke, you'll get a double vodka and coke for €6. Normal bar price would be €9.20 at least and more like €10 in a nite-club. Of course, promotions like this on alcohol are completely illegal, but as they dont advertise and only hand out flyer's in the LYIT, the garda's seem to be completely unaware.
    This has already led to an assault, the owner of one club hitting a member of staff from another club.

Now if your a student, i'm sure its great, but what affect is it going to have on Letterkenny? more fighting and damage to property?
    And i'm sure the owners know that the students will go where they drink is cheapest and there's no loyalty to one spot. The only people to benefit from a price war is the customer. But i can't see the town benefiting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

When I studied in LK, it was a bottle of bud £1, that was a good night. Double vodka and coke €6, that sounds like trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Technically they are only illegal if you are dropping the price from then normal daytime prices. Say if a niteclub was attached to a bar that was open during the day then you should be able to avail of the cheaper price also.

Source: http://193.178.1.79/2003/en/act/pub/0031/sec0020.html#partiv-sec20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

there are ways around it to an extent. but what they are offering is illegal, buy one get one free is illegal even if you do it all day in a bar. anyway the pub attached to the club charges normal prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

nanook wrote: »
    When I studied in LK, it was a bottle of bud £1, that was a good night. Double vodka and coke €6, that sounds like trouble.

I remember the bottles of tennants promo's - £1 a bottle! Happy Days!

Ah the memories!

When I was there it was a great spot. But there was no Voodoo, Sister Sara's, Milan etc.

There was the Pulse, The Orchard and the Cottage...

Good times...

Brother Counting Crows can Testify!:D

Gillie wrote: »
    I remember the bottles of tennants promo's - £1 a bottle! Happy Days!

Ah the memories!

When I was there it was a great spot. But there was no Voodoo, Sister Sara's, Milan etc.

There was the Pulse, The Orchard and the Cottage...

Good times...

Brother Counting Crows can Testify!:D

it was the cottage, the hill, the PUB and mcginleys in my day.

Night clubs were neros and the grill

]
    many memories and hangovers

• Advertisement

it was the cottage, the hill, the PUB and mcginleys in my day.

Night clubs were neros and the grill

]
    many memories and hangovers

Never heard of the Hill or the pub. Wasn't a huge fan of McGinleys.

Lived in the cottage!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Never heard of the Hill or the pub. Wasn't a huge fan of McGinleys.

Lived in the cottage!:D
    The Cottage? :eek:

I have vague recollections of that place. :D

smashey wrote: »
    The Cottage? :eek:

I have vague recollections of that place. :D

Vague me arse! You could probably name 20 of the items that hang from that Ceiling!:D

Vague me arse! You could probably name 20 of the items that hang from that Ceiling!:D
    :D
    Nope. It was 1985. I remember watching Everton win the Cup Winners Cup one fine Summer's evening when I was finishing up at the college. After that it gets a bit murky. :D

Anyway, back on topic before the muff man shows up. Pubs/club enticing students? Yeah, like they need enticement.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Anyway, back on topic before the muff man shows up.
    Excellent idea.

• Advertisement

Anyway, back on topic before the muff man shows up. Pubs/club enticing students? Yeah, like they need enticement.

now there is a name

MUFF MAN

to try and stay on topic, have you ever studied in letterkenny MUFF MAN

god i love that name

Sounds like a Superhero!

now there is a name

MUFF MAN

god i love that name
    He'll have to subscribe and get a name change.

Thats a poor attempt seeing as the topic is Drink Wars. But I know you nanook and your devious ways. You want me to admit that I did a pub crawl instead of going to the first day of the course in LIT and ended up in the barracks.

Well im sayin notin, notin at all ;)

Sounds like a Superhero!
    I am :)

egoistic

what did you study, and where did you drink, still on topic

egoistic

what did you study, and where did you drink, still on topic
    Construction studies was the second order of the day. It was great as we were all working full time and did the course 1 day a week over 4 years.

The first order of the day was a pint in that wee pub opposite the post office (couple of old ladies used to run it.) After that you can take you pick between Blakes, The Cottage, The Hideout (aptly named after us I believe), The Three Ways (now the Clanree). In the evenings we got adventurous and you could have found is in the Shamrock in Manor, Biddy Friels in Drumoghil, The Idle Hour in the middle of nowhere, The Hole in the Wall in St. Johnston, Central or Bannigans in Lifford, Kirks (now the river club) at Cloghfin, McBrides in Castlefinn, Gambles in Killygordon.

Now we didnt go to them all in the one night but it was an education in its own right.

Now how do you think I got to where I am today :D

judging by the amount of pubs you frequented, I take it you were guided by the force cause there is no way in hell that you walk after all that boozing

my apologies for the banter, back to topic.

Can we all, especially myself, keep to topic.

• Advertisement

my apologies for the banter, back to topic.

Can we all, especially myself, keep to topic.
    I could give you a shiny new infraction. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Nowhere beats the Rockhill army camp social club for drinks prices.

but is that army social club open to general public

it used to be as long as you were with a member you could drink there, then they started doing birthday parties and xmas parties for anybody and everybody, which wouldn't be allowed, as its drink license is only for club members only.

think this might have been picked up on and they were told to stop, i just heard that, don't know if it true.

Senna wrote: »
    you order a vodka and coke, you'll get a double vodka and coke for €6.

just re-read my post, it should say you get a double vodka and coke for €3 not €6 (for €6 you would get 4 vodka's and coke)
    but i bet its not Smirnoff (maybe Smirnoff + H2O = vodka):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

The Gardai were well aware of developments following a clubs offer to sell all drinks for €1.99. Senna is talking about another clubs response a couple of weeks later. When the first club started this offer it was on the Shaun Doherty Show the next morning following trouble around town, so it was not a hidden fact.

Either way talking about alleged assaults, not even commenting that this is being alleged, is a bit slander of character in the original post.

The law on 'Happy Hours' etc is very clear and I doubt the whole exercise was to try and get the student loyalty. Businesses are businesses, though I do note the lack of criticism in the original post at the selling of any drink for €1.99 and would have to question the motive behind only picking on one of the premises.

Either way talking about alleged assaults, not even commenting that this is being alleged, is a bit slander of character in the original post.

though I do note the lack of criticism in the original post at the selling of any drink for €1.99 and would have to question the motive behind only picking on one of the premises.
    Where's the slander? I didnt see any premises or person named.

Where do you see €1.99 in the original post. I seen a couple of figures posted but not that one.

At this point I would have to question your motives for misquoting the OP.

Do you have a connection with one of these nightclubs?

i didn't know somewhere was selling drink for €1.99, just cause its on the Shaun Doherty show doesn't mean i knew anything about it. of course that just as bad, and actually worse, if they were the ones to start off this irresponsible practice.
    but if you had read my post, the point i was trying to make was, all this encouragement of excessive drinking is obviously bad for the town. And i guess this was the point discussed on the radio. I dont think it read as an advertisement for the clubs?
    its been awhile since i was a student and almost as long since i was in these sort of night clubs, and i have no connections to either, thank god.

as for the slander, i'll have my team of solicitors get in contact with your team of solicitors and we'll do lunch.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

The only thing this proves, IMO, is how big a margin all the pubs are normally sticking on every single drink every other day of the week.

I used to live in LK. McGinleys, the Orchard, and the Cottage were our pubs of choice way back then (about 9 years ago!)

I live in Galway now, and my local gives out beer tokens to the regulars. Pint of Guinness, €2.70. €3.70 for the random punter. They've been doing it for years. I can only assume the €2.70 is either cost or even has a small margin on it. Just like everything else these days, drink is hugely overpriced in Ireland. And do the po-faced puritan brigade never stop to think that the reason we as a nation have such an irresponsible attitude to alcohol is because of our ridiculous nannying licensing laws and endless "think of the children :eek:" disapproving moralising?

We should just dump licensing laws altogether and let pubs open whenever they want and sell alcohol at whatever price they want. Sure, the whole country will go buck mad for a few weeks....and then we'll all calm down, drink will be no big deal, and we won't have thousands of young people horsing the booze into them for the few hours they are allowed to then all spilling out pissed onto the streets at once. The current set-up is just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I never stated the original post mentioned 1.99 but was pointing out the origin of the situation that existed. As for the assault, I was merely pointing out that the original post stated that a proprietor of a venue assaulted someone from a rival venue, with only two venues involved, I reckon this points the finger at two people. Its a bit dodgey to do this imo.

Having said that I am happy to accept Senna's motivation to highlight this type of thing which I don't believe can be great for the locality in the long run or particularly for young people perhaps away from home for the first time and inexperienced with alcohol.

Advertisement