Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Danny2580 wrote: »
    I'm still reliant on this excellent program for sending group SMS from desktop. Unfortunately it stopped working with three.ie's webtext system yesterday. Can anyone else get it working, or let me know if the desktop app is still functional with other providers for international SMS?

Tried a Three SIM I have with SwiftSMS on my mobile and it's not working either. My ex-O2 account is working fine with SwiftSMS though.

So it would seem that Three has changed something with their web-texting that has broken all the web-texting apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Cabbage was working fine for me up until Approx one month ago on Meteor, but not working on Meteor since then either.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

A wee tweaking of the code would sort it. Here's hoping in vain for an update :-/

Cabbage was working fine for me up until Approx one month ago on Meteor, but not working on Meteor since then either.

Meteor must have finally pulled their old web-text system where you logged in with your mobile number and PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Try Textra app.
    Dunno what its like for group

• Advertisement

Try Textra app.
    Dunno what its like for group

Textra is just an alternative SMS app for Android. It's no replacement for Cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Irish webtext works for me, if you need an alternative.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hoverapps.irishwebtext&hl=en

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Irish webtext works for me, if you need an alternative.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hoverapps.irishwebtext&hl=en

Nate

shame it doesnt have a built in "send text at a later time" scheduler like cabbage ... or rather it didnt use to maybe they have changed it and added it since i last tried it

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jimbojimbo

Is any webtexter working with an ex-O2 (Three) number on mobile data? I have tried a number of them recently, and while they all seem to work perfectly when on WiFi, they all fail to send when using my Three (ex-O2) 3G / 4G signal. Any ideas why this is not working? Have Three blocked access to the web texter servers via 3G/4G? Has anybody got these to work on mobile data?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Jimbojimbo wrote: »
    Is any webtexter working with an ex-O2 (Three) number on mobile data?
    Dunno if this is much help but SwiftSMS is working on my ex-O2 number account via Vodafone 3g. I haven't tried via O2/Three 3g.

• Advertisement

Dunno if this is much help but SwiftSMS is working on my ex-O2 number account via Vodafone 3g. I haven't tried via O2/Three 3g.

Same for me.

Is any webtexter working with an ex-O2 (Three) number on mobile data? I have tried a number of them recently, and while they all seem to work perfectly when on WiFi, they all fail to send when using my Three (ex-O2) 3G / 4G signal. Any ideas why this is not working? Have Three blocked access to the web texter servers via 3G/4G? Has anybody got these to work on mobile data?

Log in to webtext on the Three website via a browser on your mobile using mobile data and see if you're brought to the 'Webtext Security Process' page.

What is the 'Webtext Security Process' page?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

What is the 'Webtext Security Process' page?

If you try to send a webtext (on my case old O2 customer) sometimes you might be asked to enter a Security code that 3 texts you, the reason is they think you are located outside Ireland, in my case it happens when connected on WIFI with Virgin/UPC as the website is using an old IP location database as my Virgin/UPC IP address was located in Belgium in past.

nava wrote: »
    If you try to send a webtext (on my case old O2 customer) sometimes you might be asked to enter a Security code that 3 texts you, the reason is they think you are located outside Ireland, in my case it happens when connected on WIFI with Virgin/UPC as the website is using an old IP location database as my Virgin/UPC IP address was located in Belgium in past.

Exactly. It sounds like, when connected to mobile data, Three might be assigning you an IP address that its own web server thinks is located outside the state.

The way to check it to do what I suggested in my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The one I linked above works with my ex-O2/3 number. Doesn't work on my Eircom wi-fi though.....

Nate

Still no joy with this. Can't get in touch with the developer.

Danny2580 wrote: »
    Still no joy with this. Can't get in touch with the developer.

Unfortunately he hasn't posted anything here for a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Quackster wrote: »
    Tried a Three SIM I have with SwiftSMS on my mobile and it's not working either. My ex-O2 account is working fine with SwiftSMS though.

So it would seem that Three has changed something with their web-texting that has broken all the web-texting apps.
    I got back into the mood for some late night programming and updated SwiftSMS. Meteor and Three are now working again. I may look at other networks in the near future, can't promise anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I got back into the mood for some late night programming and updated SwiftSMS. Meteor and Three are now working again. I may look at other networks in the near future, can't promise anything though.

Thanks so much for that mate, working perfectly ;-)

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dee1983

Thanks for the update and your work put into it. It's still not working on O2/Three for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi Fluffy88.

Please get Cabbage and SwiftSMS added to F-Droid. I only use that do download apps.

https://f-droid.org
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-Droid

Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I have no connection to Cabbage so I can't add it to F-Droid.

As for SwiftSMS, I looked it adding it back when you mentioned it the first time but their release process seemed to long winded so I never bothered. Also from reading the Wiki page you linked to, Moxie Marlinspike (a very well respected security researcher) had concerns over how F-Droid build and release apps.
    dee1983 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update and your work put into it. It's still not working on O2/Three for me though.
    I tired last night but I don't have my own account to test with and I was blocked by their security measure which requires you to enter the code they text to the number.

Quackster wrote: »
    Log in to webtext on the Three website via a browser on your mobile using mobile data and see if you're brought to the 'Webtext Security Process' page.

I am not getting a webtext security page. On 3G/4G, I can log onto the three website fine, but when I click on the webtext link, it just displays a standard 'This site cannot be reached page', although I can reach it fine on WiFi.

SWIFT SMS is working perfectly for me on a three (ex O2) number when using WiFi. It will still not work on 3G/4G (I get a 'no internet connection' message in the app).

I am not getting a webtext security page. On 3G/4G, I can log onto the three website fine, but when I click on the webtext link, it just displays a standard 'This site cannot be reached page', although I can reach it fine on WiFi.

SWIFT SMS is working perfectly for me on a three (ex O2) number when using WiFi. It will still not work on 3G/4G (I get a 'no internet pconnection' message in the app).

Ex-O2 (and Vodafone) webtexting with SwiftSMS on Vodafone mobile data working fine for me.

The Three webtext server is obviously blocking Three's own IP addresses for some reason.

I have no connection to Cabbage so I can't add it to F-Droid.

As for SwiftSMS, I looked it adding it back when you mentioned it the first time but their release process seemed to long winded so I never bothered. Also from reading the Wiki page you linked to, Moxie Marlinspike (a very well respected security researcher) had concerns over how F-Droid build and release apps.

Oh sorry, I thought you also worked on Cabbage. How is the process of adding SwiftSMS long winded?

I've used F-Droid for a long while now and have had zero issues with apps. Some apps in the google playstore are malicious apps.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

https://f-droid.org/manual/fdroid.html <- that's how!
    I don't see any real benefit for using F-Droid. Don't get me wrong, I love open source but for me it's not worth the effort of publishing in their store. SwiftSMS already has a very small install base, I'm betting you are the only person that would actually download SwiftSMS from F-Droid.

Also, stop spreading BS! I've used the Google Play Store for a long time and have had zero issues with apps. Some apps in the F-Droid store are malicious apps. Unless you are personally reviewing the entire code base of each app you install how can you be sure it's not malicious? Even so, are you an experienced security analyst? If not there is a high chance you'll miss any intentional malicious code.

My point: The fact an app is available in an open source repository does not make it secure or trust worthy.

https://f-droid.org/manual/fdroid.html <- that's how!
    I don't see any real benefit for using F-Droid. Don't get me wrong, I love open source but for me it's not worth the effort of publishing in their store. SwiftSMS already has a very small install base, I'm betting you are the only person that would actually download SwiftSMS from F-Droid.

Also, stop spreading BS! I've used the Google Play Store for a long time and have had zero issues with apps. Some apps in the F-Droid store are malicious apps. Unless you are personally reviewing the entire code base of each app you install how can you be sure it's not malicious? Even so, are you an experienced security analyst? If not there is a high chance you'll miss any intentional malicious code.

My point: The fact an app is available in an open source repository does not make it secure or trust worthy.

People can use F-Droid without needing a google account. I'd say more than me would download SwiftSMS from F-Droid.

Stop talking crap - I did not spread BS -- google play store does have malicious apps.

It's odd how you gladly use and trust proprietary apps even though the code is hidden -- give me a break! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Hi guys,
    I also haven't been able to use cabbage for a while now. The alternatives I see mentioned are for android - is there a different alternative for free web texting on windows (desktop and mobile)?

thanks

• Advertisement

Bump. Still no decent alternative to cabbage for group SMS. :-(

Advertisement