Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are the best GAA Stories?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Joe McNally asking Paidi whether he came up to Dublin on the bus or the train. Paidi shouldering Joe into the hoarding boards as the first ball came their way. Joe picking himself up baffled and Paidi asking Joe 'What were you hit by there, a bus or a train?'
    What are the best stories out there???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

i find laughing and winding up at a fat old git who used to be good but is now a spiteful synical fouling moany fecker always creates a few great yarns to tell after a junior B match!!haha il never be old......!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Yeah. I used to laugh at those guys when I was a young lad but unfortunately as I have found out 'mocking is catching'
    I started playing division 5 senior football in kerry when I was 16. One game I was playing corner forward and marking a guy in his 30s with a generous beer belly. Having established fairly quickly that I was a bit fast for him he committed a rather cynical foul leaving me sprlawing to the grass.
    A current TD (who shall we say has served his time) was playing full forward for my team. After the foul was committed he approached the corner back and simply said 'Now you won't do that again'
    I finished with 1-3 for my days work. The corner back was taken off shortly after half-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭vandermeyde

Just to continue on that theme!

My grandfather played midfield with Listowel alongside the late great John B. Keane...anyway, he was in his late twenties and was starting to lose the edge he had, came up against this young buck who was fitter & faster...my grandfather used all his "experience" i.e. fouled, dragged, nudged this young fella the whole game and actually kept him quite quiet in the match itself...

at the end of the game the young fella turned around and said something along the lines of "your too fcuking old for this game, you should pack it in"...my grandfather replied "you're dead fcuking right" and retired on the spot...never played football again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyrotten123

Heard this story from back home a while back...made me laugh anyway!

This young lad was making his debut in a Junior B hurling game. Full of enthusiasm, he sprinted across the pitch to his marker, new gloves, cycling shorts, spotless togs, the works. He came bounding up to the man he was to mark, Paddy Hannon, a huge tank of a man of about 42, seen it all and had the face to prove it. Just before the whistle, the ref blew for a minute's silence.
    Confused, the young lad asked Paddy who the minute's silence was for. Paddy turned around, rolled up the sleeves and answered: "It's for you, me good man!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The Kerry team that came up on the train (The team of bachelors) were walking down the platform. The RTE correspondence mistaking them for the minors asked them where the senior team was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Kerry team of the late 70s went to Australia on holiday. Some players complained bitterly about the extreme cold in their rooms and insisted that the radiators didn't work. They brought this to the attention of the hotel manager, who went to their room in an attempt to solve the problem. It didn't take him long...
    "Lads, did you try turning it on at all?" :p

I saw this on overheardincork.com
    Basically a young lad was playing his first game as wing forward for some junior team down in Cork. Everytime he got the ball his team-mates called out Chilli.
    A few old lads were on the sideline and one asked to other 'Who is that Chilli fella'?
    To which the other chap replied ' Thats Con Kearney's young lad'

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Basically a young lad was playing his first game as wing forward for some junior team down in Cork. Everytime he got the ball his team-mates called out Chilli.
    A few old lads were on the sideline and one asked to other 'Who is that Chilli fella'?

ahhh thats too good to be true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Makes no sense to the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

SetantaL wrote: »
    Makes no sense to the rest of us?

Think about it setanta chilli con kearney???? Get it?;)

• Advertisement

heard a great one there a while back...junior hurling game in Kilkenny between two bitter rivals. Tension was building up weeks before the big game. The ball was thrown in and was sent down to the big rangy full-forward who was being marked by a full back who shall we say, took no prisoners. The ball came in, the full-forward rose and was clattered by the full-back and when the dust cleared, he lay prostrate on the ground missing a few teeth. The local priest came rushing in to attend to the injured man and called for medical assistance. Well, naturally there was no ambulance there so a local farmer came on with an old scut cart and with the help of a few of the players loaded the full-forward on and prepared to bring him across to his van. As the priest made his way off the field, he heard the farmer stop and say: 'Eh, will I go now father, or will I wait for a load?'

Classic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Joe McNally asking Paidi whether he came up to Dublin on the bus or the train. Paidi shouldering Joe into the hoarding boards as the first ball came their way. Joe picking himself up baffled and Paidi asking Joe 'What were you hit by there, a bus or a train?'
    What are the best stories out there???

What actually happened was that Paidi extended his hand to Joe before the anthem, Joe turned his shoulder and hit Paidi a belt and sent him flying. The anthem was played and just as it finished, Paidi kicked Joe up the hole when his back was turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 davmi

Was at a junior game once and a bit of row broke out, a lot of punches thrown, when the referee calmed it down he called over the main instigator who threw the first couple of punches. Definite red card if I ever saw once. The player says to the ref "I know i threw a few punches and deserve to go but I got a few too"
    Ref replies "I know sure i got a few meself"
    Gives the player a yellow...

niallo32 wrote: »
    What actually happened was that Paidi extended his hand to Joe before the anthem, Joe turned his shoulder and hit Paidi a belt and sent him flying. The anthem was played and just as it finished, Paidi kicked Joe up the hole when his back was turned.

Think that was a seperate incident was it? I have heard the bus/train story on numerous occasions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Some great stories here lads. Got a few laughs outta me :) Keep em coming....I would contribute myself but i dont know any as good as these :(

Niallo I suspect that you might be from Dublin? Given your certainty on what happened I take it you were at the game and watched the incident unfold!
    The point of this thread is to tell stories that you heard. I'm sure most of the stories have an element of truth but have been exaggerated as time has gone by.

Niallo I suspect that you might be from Dublin? Given your certainty on what happened I take it you were at the game and watched the incident unfold!
    The point of this thread is to tell stories that you heard. I'm sure most of the stories have an element of truth but have been exaggerated as time has gone by.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a pri*k and contradict you. I am from Dublin.

The version as described by me, is told the same way by Paidi in his biography and Joe McNally told me the same.

I was at the game, but didn't see the incident in question.

Good idea for a thread btw..

Think that was a seperate incident was it? I have heard the bus/train story on numerous occasions...

Haven't heard that myself, but I can't imagine Joe McNally being arsed to ask Paidi how he travelled to the game...apologies for the earlier contradiction if it is true..

i remember a day playing as a 17 year old and marking a former county man (he was well on his ways past the 35 mark) anyways there was a few tough breaks for the ball and i didnt shy away from anything 50-50 (like i was instructed before the game!!) he kept moaning at the ref and barking at me telling me he'd knock me into next week etc and the fact i didn't speak back just kept hitting him harder with every tackle was irking him even more.
    anyways it eventually turned into your traditional GAA all out brawl with everyone getting involved. All starting from me fouling yer man, him lying on the ground moaning until he realized the ref wasn't going to book me, he got up and swung for me and i dodged it and our full back (my minder!) jumped in and the brawl started.
    anyways the ref decided to send off the ex-county man (despite him trying to sneak off with an injury) and our full back. our full back said "ah ref sure i was just saving the young lad, what was i supposed to do?"
    Ref said" Well in fairness I would have done the same meself but when i seen ya hitting the fourth fella I didnt have much choice!"

Haven't heard that myself, but I can't imagine Joe McNally being arsed to ask Paidi how he travelled to the game...apologies for the earlier contradiction if it is true..

If he did ask, I'm sure it wasn't out of politeness! I'm sure the story is missing something there alright, if it is true. A good rumour anyway!

I was speaking to a man in Wexford by the name of Seamus Keevans - he's 'Mr Football' in Wexford but he has played inter-county for at least four counties. Anyway, he marked Mick O'Connell in a game going way back. O'Connell was his personal hero and after Micko rose majestically and plucked the ball from the sky and cleared it up the field for the fourth time in-a-row, Keevans turned around and says: "Well, d'ya know wha' it is Mick, I could stand here and look at ya all day!"

• Advertisement

If he did ask, I'm sure it wasn't out of politeness! I'm sure the story is missing something there alright, if it is true. A good rumour anyway!

I was speaking to a man in Wexford by the name of Seamus Keevans - he's 'Mr Football' in Wexford but he has played inter-county for at least four counties. Anyway, he marked Mick O'Connell in a game going way back. O'Connell was his personal hero and after Micko rose majestically and plucked the ball from the sky and cleared it up the field for the fourth time in-a-row, Keevans turned around and says: "Well, d'ya know wha' it is Mick, I could stand here and look at ya all day!"

Maybe its because I'm a Kerryman but I love that :)

I went to the 1986 All-Ireland final with my father and we were sitting near John Dowling a Kerry legend of the 50s. At one stage Kerry got a free kick about 65 meters out and the ball dropped short was picked up by a Tyrone player who was fouled.
    My father says 'John I can remember you kicking them over the bar from right there and the ball was twice as heavy back then'
    John replied ' Do you know what Seamus? I think I was further out'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

me and a few of the lads were out at a nightclub about 5 years back. As drunk 18year olds we were standing around waiting on a taxi, and one of the boys spotted ciaran mcgeeney. (the nightclub is were the armagh team always met) Geezer would be a bit of a legend as he still is, and the two other lads in particular were talking absolute muck to him (he was on the sober). Just as we were leaving, one of the boys, who plays the same position as Ciaran says "well jesus thanks very much for chatting with us, your not as much of a wanker as ya look on tv . . . (big laughs all round) really made my night chattin with ya, thanks" . to which ciaran answered - "its not been long since i was your ages lads, but back then id much rather be chattin with big titted blonde - funny how times change"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Gotta love Michael O'Muircheartaigh's little anecdote about New York.

".........and Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, I'll tell ye a little story. I was in Times' Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I said 'I suppose ye wouldn't have the Kerryman would ye?' To which, the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said 'do you want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?'... he had both...so I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Gotta love Michael O'Muircheartaigh's little anecdote about New York.

".........and Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, I'll tell ye a little story. I was in Times' Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I said 'I suppose ye wouldn't have the Kerryman would ye?' To which, the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said 'do you want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?'... he had both...so I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet..."

:D:D:D The man is a living legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

One from a club match of ours a while back.

Tough gent full back and equally tough full forward are at each other all match, shouldering, goading, late hits etc. etc.

Anyway, in the second half the full forward skins the full back and scores a great goal, tapping the full back on the head on his way out after scoring. Ball goes up the field and suddenly the full forward is out cold on the ground with nobody having seen the incident and the full back denying any involvement. He says to the ref, " sure he just fainted, don't know what happened " . With things threatening to boil over , the ref says to the full back, " ok , i didn't see it, but anybody else faints around here and you'll be straight off "

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Playing for the club in championship during the summer, full forward. kept coming out, collecting and running with it, full back wasn't exactly blessed with pace. Then on one of the runs I hear one of their players(midfielder i think) roar "Ah jaysus, would someone shoot king kong to be fu**ed!" referring to me! Next few weeks I wasn't called anything other than that by team mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kerry On Tour

The Bus/Train thing is true enough. Páidi mentions it somewhere in his book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭JayoCluxton

The thing I remember of the Paidi-Joe incident is that the teams went to line out in their postions before Amhran as they always used to. Joe - new kid on the block - came down to Paidi and was hitting him all sorts of shapes and shoulders. A few seconds later Joe was on his back, went on to have a quiet game and P Se won another Celtic Cross. Dunno what was said but I reckon Joe learned a harsh lesson that day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 holymolyHS

I remember hearing one about the game in which Dara O'Se was sent off a week or 2 before the AI final in 2002. Supposedly Paidi was late for the club game and by the time he got there Dara was already sent off. Someone told him that it was the umpire that had pointed it out to the referee. After the game, Paidi ran to the umpire and gave him a right bo****ing. When the umpire finally had a chance to say something, he said "sorry Paidi but it was the umpire at the other goal"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Paidi turned up for his first training sessions in charge of the Clare footballers, he went into the dressing room and gave his speech about what they were going to do for the year, just as he was finishing up Tony Considine arrived in the door and pointed out to him that it was the hurling panel he was giving the speech to

Advertisement