Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mmmm Black Bastard

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

KTRIC wrote: »
    haven't noticed that the name of the drink is extremely racist :eek:

How is it racist?

If it was called 'white bastard' would that be racist?
    monosharp wrote: »
    Oh really ? So a portuguese lad hops on a plane, heads to New York and asks the black barman for "Beer negro" and its just the word for black and the barman will see it as such ?

Why would he speak portuguese to an American bartender? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

*Tripper* wrote: »
    I'MMMM BAAAAAANNNNNNNNEEEEEEDDDDDDD

There someone had to say it, I didn't want to but someone had to.

Sorry bout that, drugs are bad kids! But it was like the elephant in the room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Why would he speak portuguese to an American bartender? :confused:

The same way when i forget local words here i substitute the english ones for it because its the language i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Oh really ? So a portuguese lad hops on a plane, heads to New York and asks the black barman for "Beer negro" and its just the word for black and the barman will see it as such ? (I know its the portuguese word for black, thats not my point)

My point is that, we as zombies to US television see "black bastard" in an entirely different context to other countries, other people and other cultures.

Just because someones black in a western country, do you really think he has the same racial and PC bull**** attached that a black guy in America would have ? Of course he bloody well doesn't.

Your talking about an advertisement for a product using words in a minority language in that country which may be offensive to certain people in a completely different country and culture where that language is the majority language.

We automatically assume "black bastard" is in reference to black people because of the complete tripe we watch on TV, i.e > American TV. Why in Gods name do you think German people would assume the same ? To them its the english word for a colour and an english curse word.

I absolutely hate PC, may it die a quick death just so we can get rid of its bull****.

Jezus calm down lad :eek:, he just said negro meant black ;)

FWIW I don't like PC either but there are somethings nevertheless which are a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Oh really ? So a portuguese lad hops on a plane, heads to New York and asks the black barman for "Beer negro" and its just the word for black and the barman will see it as such ? (I know its the portuguese word for black, thats not my point)

My point is that, we as zombies to US television see "black bastard" in an entirely different context to other countries, other people and other cultures.

Just because someones black in a western country, do you really think he has the same racial and PC bull**** attached that a black guy in America would have ? Of course he bloody well doesn't.

Your talking about an advertisement for a product using words in a minority language in that country which may be offensive to certain people in a completely different country and culture where that language is the majority language.

We automatically assume "black bastard" is in reference to black people because of the complete tripe we watch on TV, i.e > American TV. Why in Gods name do you think German people would assume the same ? To them its the english word for a colour and an english curse word.

I absolutely hate PC, may it die a quick death just so we can get rid of its bull****.

You're just as guilty of making assumptions. Most ads and slogans in Germany are actually in English because it's seen as "cool". Add to that the fact that Germany is the most americanised country in Europe and that English is the second language there. Coincidentally the website seems to be down at the moment.

The term "black bastard" means nothing in German, but in Germany it means the exact same as it does in Ireland or in America. The lawless state of Freistaat Bayern doesn't count though! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Do any of you know how german people think of the word "bastard" ?
    I asked my german girlfriend that and she said that bastard means the same in german as it does in english (the true meaning - not the curse part). If you called a german a bastard they would not get the curse part of it (unless of course they happened to know that it is a curse in english).

I didnt realise that a bastard is actually a child born to unmarried parents - I always thought it was a fatherless child. Well, ya learn something new everyday! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Why is black bastard racist? Would brown bastard be less racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Why is black bastard racist? Would brown bastard be less racist?
    I guess someone could find it racist as it uses the word "black", defining a particular race, and applies a trait to it as if it is associated with it or as if the word derogatory word, in this case "bastard", wasn't enough. So it uses the word defining a particular race in a derogatory way as if the race is somehow inferior or being a member of the race is something negative (for want of a better word).

To answer your question, the word brown to me does not define a race thus is not racist when used in conjunction with the word bastard.

But it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Advertisement