Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My uncles girlfriend had her baby boy last night, in the ambulance on the way to hospital!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

January wrote: »
    My uncles girlfriend had her baby boy last night, in the ambulance on the way to hospital!

Yikes!

Precipitous labour? Hope both the new Mammy and baby are doing well?

I am 37 weeks today and can now be considered a full term watermelon.
    All done and ready (hee hee in so far as I will ever be "ready") now so it's the start of the waiting game.
    5 more working days and then I am finished! Can't wait.
    Have a few nice things planned for the first 3-4 days of maternity leave - pedicure, pregnancy massage, get horrid eyebrows sorted out and a baby shower type get together with my Mam and sisters. Baby better stay put until the afternoon of the 24th at the earliest!
    It's more than welcome to come out to play after that though ;-)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Have a few nice things planned for the first 3-4 days of maternity leave - pedicure, pregnancy massage, get horrid eyebrows sorted out and a baby shower type get together with my Mam and sisters. Baby better stay put until the afternoon of the 24th at the earliest!
    It's more than welcome to come out to play after that though ;-)

I read that wrong and somehow thought you had those planned for the first day you HAD your baby and was thinking 'sheesh, this wan is a bit optimistic about the first week of motherhood' :D derp!

I clearly need more coffee!

Neyite wrote: »
    I read that wrong and somehow thought you had those planned for the first day you HAD your baby and was thinking 'sheesh, this wan is a bit optimistic about the first week of motherhood' :D derp!

I clearly need more coffee!

Hee hee, no my plans for the first (who knows how many) days of motherhood are more along the lines of :eek::eek::confused::o:) and all we're missing is the very sleepy smilie!

First days of my maternity leave. Well Day 1 is to be spent at home chilling out. Its on a Friday. Have a nice dinner with friends that night too so all is good there.
    Have ante natal appointment on the first Monday and the first Tuesday involves a morning wax (:eek:) and then an afternoon of eyebrow shape and tint, pedicure (cause in the last two weeks my ankles decided to get rather large and love being rubbed and I'd like my toes to look nice when I finally get reacquainted with them), a short facial because I've been pregnant forever and deserve it - short cause I can't lie on my back for that long anymore and a lovely pregnancy massage.
    The first Wednesday is a little baby shower lunch get together with my Mam and sisters.
    After that the baby can come any time it wants to........well not any time, sooner rather than later would be good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hey girls, there's a great Aldi baby event coming up on the 18th

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-18-september/

We bought stuff from one of these in early June before our baba arrived in late June and their cellular blankets, muslin cloths, vaseline, sudo, aqueous cream etc. were all great. They also have a well priced baby bag, hooded towels, sheets, avent soothers and their Tommy Tippee bottles which we bought the last time and were cheaper than anywhere else and are fantastic!

We'll definitely be picking up a few bits this time too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I'll be getting the nuby cup, the nuby spoons, the clip on led lights and a few other bits as well! The wipes are great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

nikpmup wrote: »
    I'll be getting the nuby cup, the nuby spoons, the clip on led lights and a few other bits as well! The wipes are great value.

We'll definitely get the clip on lights too, very handy for the darker nights that will be coming up!

So my last week at work (granted not even a full week only 3 days) starts tomorrow. I am so ready to be done with work I can't tell you.
    Had a rough few nights with bad sleep, waking up lots, very uncomfortable and a lot of PGP- today in particular. Really hope I get a good nights sleep tonight as I am wrecked.
    I can hardly believe that the birth is imminent at this stage. Getting a bit nervous about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Had my booking appointment today, I was told I definately couldn't do the Domino Scheme because of my previous section...boo!:(
    She did say though when I go to see my consultant in six weeks he/she may sign me over to be allowed to have my check ups with the midwives in my local clinic so I suppose that's something!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aoifemckay2013

Talk about back pain 😩😭!! Im 26 weeks gone and Im in bits with my back ! Hopefully the pain eases of or something its very unbearable :(! Anyone any useful tips please ðŸ™

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

My girlfriend found out on Thursday that she was pregnant the doctor could not tell her how long as she has been off the pill since May and she has had no period since. She bought a clear blue test which indicated that she was 2-3 weeks gone which going by the instructions on the test means shes probably 4-5 weeks gone. Today and yesterday she has been complaining of red/peachy/bloody streaky see through discharge. Is this normal?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    My girlfriend found out on Thursday that she was pregnant the doctor could not tell her how long as she has been off the pill since May and she has had no period since. She bought a clear blue test which indicated that she was 2-3 weeks gone which going by the instructions on the test means shes probably 4-5 weeks gone. Today and yesterday she has been complaining of red/peachy/bloody streaky see through discharge. Is this normal?

No one here is allowed to give out medical advice , I would suggest ringing the hospital and talking to them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Hi all,

I'm not looking for medical advice, just a yes or no answer before I book a gp appt.

Can/do doctors here prescribe anything for constant nausea, but no actual vomiting? Work is getting very difficult with my stomach constantly tumbling all day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I dont think so spotty. I mentioned it to the midwife with my last pregnancy because it was constant 24 hours a day for the first 4 months and her answer was 'ah that's awful you'd be so much better off if you could just vomit and be done with it but there's nothing you can do about nausea really' :( Coca cola was the only thing that gave me any bit of relief, along with making sure I didn't get too hungry.

I dont think so spotty. I mentioned it to the midwife with my last pregnancy because it was constant 24 hours a day for the first 4 months and her answer was 'ah that's awful you'd be so much better off if you could just vomit and be done with it but there's nothing you can do about nausea really' :( Coca cola was the only thing that gave me any bit of relief, along with making sure I didn't get too hungry.

Thanks Eva Proud Voyage, as I feared. I work with food so the smell all day really does not help :( God I hope it eases soon, another month (to 12 week mark) sounds unbearable, if it goes on past that I dont know what I'd do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

God that sounds like torture you poor thing :( I've heard that some women have success with those sea sickness bands but I haven't tried it myself. My nausea eased off once my appetite came back.

I'm back and back with a baby! Out little bundle of joy with an EDD of October 7th decided to put in am early appearance and was born at 23:06 on Monday, September 15th instead.
    I am totally smitten with her, with my husband as her Daddy, our new life. It has been stunning, quite literally, how floored you are post partum in terms of the emotional roller coaster, I cried leaving the hospital today and not for any bad reason! It was more like, " wait a second, they're actually letting *us* take a baby away from here? Then I was hit by the memories of going there for ante natal appointments and the excitement of being pregnant with her and now here she was...... It's mad. But manageable and normal and great.
    It's fabulous to be home. I love having her here.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

Oh wow congrats Penny! Impatient lil miss obviously couldn't wait! A bit scary to realise we can have them early too-I'm due 2 Nov but not ready at all yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

congratulations penny I was only thinkin of you there when I logged in!delighted to see you have it all over you.

Congrats Penny, delighted for you! And you were just getting quite uncomfortable and stuff weren't you, at least it didn't last too long :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 poisongrass

Hi all,

I'm not looking for medical advice, just a yes or no answer before I book a gp appt.

Can/do doctors here prescribe anything for constant nausea, but no actual vomiting? Work is getting very difficult with my stomach constantly tumbling all day :(

I've had 24 hour nausea for the last 37 weeks, mostly due to motion and hunger/thirst, GP prescribed Cyclozine, can take it up to 3 times a day and gets me by, especially walking past burrito and noodle bars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I have my glucose tolerance test in the morning, and have been told not to eat or drink anything, not even water, after 8pm tonight. The not eating I can understand, but what's the rationale behind not letting us have water, surely that wouldn't affect blood sugar? My veins are crap at the best of times and I'm dreading how horrible getting blood out of me is going to be if I'm dehydrated as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 poisongrass

Dolbert, you can drink water no problem before the test, it's just food and sugary drinks

Just re-reading my info, Rotunda stipulates no food from 8pm and nil by mouth from midnight, which isn't as bad as I had originally thought. I'll just get as much water into me as possible today so! Just curious as to why they insist on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Dolbert wrote: »
    Just re-reading my info, Rotunda stipulates no food from 8pm and nil by mouth from midnight, which isn't as bad as I had originally thought. I'll just get as much water into me as possible today so! Just curious as to why they insist on it

They need to have a fasting blood sugar level before you drink the lucozade, a base level if you want... then a blood sugar level for 1 hour and 2 hours after that. If your result is over 10.0 on the first hour or 7.0 on the second hourly test you have tested positive and will have to attend the diabetes clinic every fortnight :( It's all fun and games ;) good luck with it.

cbyrd wrote: »
    They need to have a fasting blood sugar level before you drink the lucozade, a base level if you want... then a blood sugar level for 1 hour and 2 hours after that. If your result is over 10.0 on the first hour or 7.0 on the second hourly test you have tested positive and will have to attend the diabetes clinic every fortnight :( It's all fun and games ;) good luck with it.

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought water would affect the base reading though, and it makes the actual bloodletting much harder!

It doesn't, you can drink water up to the test time but not once you have had the lucozade.

Ah okay, makes sense! Thanks :)

Dolbert wrote: »
    Ah okay, makes sense! Thanks :)

;) Welcome.. i'm a reluctant gestational diabetic. I hit 10.0 and 6.7 on the test and i have to test 7 times a day for the last 6 weeks.. still waiting for a higher that normal number.. funny they brought the numbers down since my last pregnancy, it used to be 11.5 for the first test number. To me its all about getting the numbers up buying the strips and lancets that are fairly pricey, but then again I'm very very cynical when it comes to the pharmacutical run medical profession

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

cbyrd wrote: »
    It doesn't, you can drink water up to the test time but not once you have had the lucozade.

I was instructed not to drink water for the 12 hours before also, only a sip if you really need it, (rotunda).

Advertisement