Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DeVore in the well

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

musician wrote: »
    Will do Dave. Reading The New Rulers of the World at the moment.

Yeah I really enjoyed that too. The stuff on Cambodia and Nicaragua in 'Heroes' is absolutely shocking.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ntlbell wrote: »
    I know you have worked in IT or owned IT companies do you consider yourself "technical" ? e.g. would you have any problems designing production networks etc?

I used to be hardkore n3rd (an appelation I look on as a compliment), but I grew pointy hair and became a boss and the problem was I hired really smart guys who were much better at it then I was. So I got rusty and fell behind the cutting edge.

Now I mostly consult with companies about HOW to use computers and the internet. I'm still a bit ninja with SQL but I was never really a networks guys.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

good read tom, i liked the Ben Franklin quote.

you should write more about mainstream politics, but in mainstream papers. attack Bush here and you are preaching to the choir, do so in the Irish Times and you'll start to get more satisfaction (i think).

Thats the problem isnt it, The Times would never allow someone like me to write for them, even if I offered to do it for nothing. All major media is controlled and protected in that way.

nice to see my rating on your Bonkersology Scale is steady and rising ( i honestly thought i was nicer this year)

I didnt say you weren't nicer! I much prefer people to who are bonkers to people who are boring. You're posts have definitely gotten more esoteric though! :)

i guess i have to ask a question so: are you playing in the EPT charity game in a few weeks?

Absolutely, I wouldnt miss it for the world. Padraig and Eamonn deserve all the support we can give them in this regard.

DeV.

So, I think I'll draw this well to a close (its damp down here, and smells of 5starpool :p).

I have to say it was nothing like I expected it to be and thanks to all for the words of encouragement as it got me off my arse and past a few months of writer's block (or more specifically, writer's lazy-c*nthood). I've finished the Really Small Adventure now and I will be posting the last few entries soon. There is a new one up there now in fact.

It also got a lot more philosophical then I was anticipating and I'm sorry if I wanged on too long. It wouldnt be the first time :)

Next up I have arranged with Dr Pauly from www.taoofpoker.com to do one starting from Monday next week.

I'm going to give my last words to Bill Hicks who said the things I wanted to think....

DeV.

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, 'Hey don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride ...' And we ... kill those people.

Ha ha, 'Shut him up. We have a lot invested in this ride. Shut him up. Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and my family. This just has to be real.' It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Dev Just read your blog.
    Sounds like one amazing experience.
    Fair play you are living a life most of us office jockeys can only dream of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Jools Poker

best well ever...thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

very interesting read. thanks for putting the time into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

That was a fantastic read right through, well done Dev, you're a hell of an interesting guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Great thread, thanks for taking the time to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Brilliant. You write good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Blip

Brilliant. You write good.
    Wreck wrote: »
    hotspur wrote: »
    That was a fantastic read right through, well done Dev, you're a hell of an interesting guy.
    thechamp87 wrote: »
    very interesting read. thanks for putting the time into it.

ps MultiQuote Rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

Wreck wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Captain Tom

great well Dev. congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Scummyscousers

Bill Hicks = legend. have his biography you are welcome to it if you dont have it. (somehow doubt that though) Good well, an absolute necessity for any writer is to enjoy writing.
    You seems to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Bill Hicks = legend. have his biography you are welcome to it if you dont have it. (somehow doubt that though) Good well, an absolute necessity for any writer is to enjoy writing.
    You seems to love it.
    "Love all the People?" If so its on my bedside locker at the moment. If not, I'm interested in getting it! :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭dingle

I'd just like to add my thanks to all the others. Very interesting read. Please let us know if you write a book, especially anything autoiographical. Would love to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Excellent well and we all knew it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm not nearly as involved as I once was. I still make a point of buying stuff in their shop or t-shirts from the web but I'm not an active activist any more.

Come on Tom you are only saying that for the benefit of the boys and girls reading this in Langley.

I am involved in a lot of heavy **** myself but if you lads want to find out more you will have to send me a invite * to one of these fancy get togethers in the US embassy.After you fill me with free drink and grub I will talk,2 or 3 hookers would be a nice classy add on but not essential.

*Pm me for my address (for the invite) as their are far to many dodge fcukers on this forum for me to post it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Scummyscousers

DeVore wrote: »
    "Love all the People?" If so its on my bedside locker at the moment. If not, I'm interested in getting it! :)

DeV.

yep, Joh lahrs book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

sorry to bump the thread, but if you didn't get a chance to get your questions answered, you might be interested to know that we're planning on interviewing DeV for the next podcast. There's a discussion thread here

Advertisement