Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DeVore in the well

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

DeVore wrote: »
    Hundreds of them, thousands of them in fact. I dont think I forget many hands I've played in of any consequence.
    Was there one kind in particular you meant?.

Well...is there a hand where you're sitting on PhiPhi beach with your coconut you'll look back on? any 1 stand-out hand, win or lose? for the hand itself or the context or surroundings/situation.

for example i've only been playing poker a few years, ive played a ridiculous amount of tournaments and hands online, like yourself i remember tons of them but there's only 1 that really stands out,....

my 1st Live Tournament a 200 rebuy in some festival in dublin, ive got KK i raise UTG get 1 call. flop K Q 3. i check, other guy bets, i raised (felt nervous and tentative), he goes all in i call. The cards are turned over, i turn over my KK pretty proudly, he turns over QQ. The turn is the case Q. River blank and im out. Of course ive had beats worse than this many times since, but what sticks out is 2 things:

1. the villain in the hand, the "other guy" was a guy called Peter Roche. Now im not big into watching poker, even to this day i dont watch it on tv, and i had no idea who this was at the time.

2. He took the time to tell me this was possibly 1 of the best things that could happen to me in my 1st live game. He didnt elaborate too much, but i went home thinking "well that sucked", and in retrospect that beat helped me tremendously to always keep poker in perspective. Win or lose, to try in so far as possible, maintain the same temperament and to contain my emotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

DeVore wrote:

For example, Nicky Power made an extraordinary call in the IPO against me. Literally I haven't seen the like of it. Either the man is stone cold bonkers (and that may still be the case) or he nailed me. With the two of us a million miles ahead of the table and several multiples of the average, he called my reraise all in with A8. Thats an unmitigatedly AWFUL call. a 75,000 chip pot with the blinds at 300/600 was taken down with A8 all in preflop.

Now, I can go outside and whinge about how big a station Power is. I can rail with my mates that he's the biggest fish in the world calling like that. You hear that sort of thing all the time. The fact is Nicky made a hero call against me on a read which was good. He beat me and if I dont learn from it I'm an arrogant tosser who deserves everything he gets.

Hmmm I don't like the terms "Thats an unmitigatedly AWFUL call. " I go with my reads and my read said you were weak. While almost all players will still fold even if they think your totally at it in that spot I go with it. There were a couple of factors that swung my decision to call; it was well considered not just bravado/hero/testosterone. I've made a sicker call 4 handed in a tournament where the other big stack pushed on a AQJJ6 board and I called with 89 basically 9 high because I knew he had nothing.

When Ivey called jactson with the Q high everyone hailed him a genius now I'm not saying I'm any Ivey but I'm a talented winning NL tournament player which is something that stations will never be.

Edit; I may be interpreting the term out of context as the two quoted paragraphs seem a little ambiguous to me, if this is then case then forgive me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Hey Tom, good read. WP. I remember talking to you a while back about a new project you had planned that Aidan (McCarthy) was involved in. Do you care to elaborate anymore on the idea or have you gone any further towards putting it into action?

All the best.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry Nicky, I may not have been as clear as I could have been. It was a great call and I said so at the table. On paper it looks like a horrible call. Outside having a smoke I could easily sell that as "Nicky Power called my 30k all-in with, guess what... A8! OMG fish lolz". But the truth is that we both know you made a great call and I have to either face the fact that I got outplayed, go away and come back a better player or I can be arrogant and say "cant play against fukin fish, Power's a calling station ffs" and continue on.

That was my point, arrogance is a deadly sin in Poker because arrogance allows you to foist your own failings on others as their faults rather then correcting them in yourself.

Ian, thats still on the back burner but I was out with Aidan and Edanto last night and they send their regards! I wont elaborate here if you dont mind, its one of the things I have up my sleeve at the moment.... :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Wow... thats your beef with me?? That I gave me a banner ad for free? Perhaps I should have invoiced me? I could chase me down for late payment!
    I mean, I should know if the cheque is in the post.. right?

Any thats why you have a beef with me?? Yeah, you're stable.
    DeV.

Hi Tom,
    I'd hate for this potentially interesting thread to turn into a slanging match between me and you.

My original question was about how your other businesses benefit from your position as owner/operator of boards.ie. When you couldn't see what I meant I gave the example of the link exchange between boards and antesup, which no doubt benefited both businesses.

I'm still not sure what your answer is to this question, but yes, I do think you are being intellectually dishonest in this thread. Not least in your attempt to characterise my questions as me having a personal vendetta against you, instead of what I thought was an interesting question about boards' and your business success.
    Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

In fairness to Dave, I'd never have even seen/posted on antesup if it hadnt been for boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i have to say i would never have heard of boards only for antesup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

ianmc38 wrote: »
    In fairness to Dave, I'd never have even seen/posted on antesup if it hadnt been for boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

This all just seems so trivial.... a link between Antesup and Boards....like so what? It's hardly Nick Leeson Barings Bank stuff!!!! I'm just waiting for the punchline involving deVore and Swiss Bank Accounts , barring that i've no idea what the fuss is over!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The fuss is over Dave being a dick to me repeatedly and at his own admission because he thinks I'm dishonest over such things.

In reply to your points Dave, they dont interact at all. GJP would be better off if I wasnt the admin of Boards or at least so Mike says every month at our board meeting. Antesup doesnt make money anyway, in fact it loses it hand over fist. My medical work... I doubt you or any others here could tell me the URL of it. I find your insinuation that I am intellectually dishonest insulting and you are unable to back it up with anything substantial. I hope this is the last of my comments on this. I try to obey my own rules regarding pimping commercial entities here. If anyone but Dave thinks I'm "intellectually dishonest" about it then I would like to hear about that. Other then that I am going to let this matter rest.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Requiem4aDream asked in a very round about way, for a hand that sticks in my mind. :)

Ok, here it is.
    Final table of the 100 game in the Fitz. I'm stacked, 50k. Teddy has 20k. CL has more chips then God. I'm SB, CL is BB and Teddy is LP.

There are 6 left and we have burst the bubble.

I am dealt aces. Teddy open shoves 20k over blinds of 1k/2k. I call behind because the CL is a loon and might well do something stupid. He calls after a long chat with himself.

Flop is Qxx rainbow. I shove and CL talks himself into a call. Teddy shows QQ for the flopped top set and CL shows QT. Ten on the river means I lose both pots and I'm out. As I'm getting my 200 euro from Luke I reflect that Teddy has to hit the case Q and CL then has to hit one of three remaining tens and that I can quite rightly consider myself "unlucky".

I went outside in a fit of pique and hurled the 4 x €50 notes up the street in disgust. (I very quickly went and picked them up again).
    I dont think I've ever been as furious about a hand in my life and I spent about 2 nights on tilt...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

my 1st Live Tournament a 200 rebuy in some festival in dublin, ive got KK i raise UTG get 1 call. flop K Q 3. i check, other guy bets, i raised (felt nervous and tentative), he goes all in i call. The cards are turned over, i turn over my KK pretty proudly, he turns over QQ. The turn is the case Q. River blank and im out. Of course ive had beats worse than this many times since, but what sticks out is 2 things:

1. the villain in the hand, the "other guy" was a guy called Peter Roche. Now im not big into watching poker, even to this day i dont watch it on tv, and i had no idea who this was at the time.

2. He took the time to tell me this was possibly 1 of the best things that could happen to me in my 1st live game. He didnt elaborate too much, but i went home thinking "well that sucked", and in retrospect that beat helped me tremendously to always keep poker in perspective. Win or lose, to try in so far as possible, maintain the same temperament and to contain my emotions.

Citywest. I was on the table. It was one of the most amazing hands I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

RoundTower wrote: »
    I'd hate for this potentially interesting thread...
    Lol nice.

Dev do u think there is anyone you couldn't destroy in a arguement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭con_leche

Well, thank you for and interesting well.

Q.1 How do you think Irish players are percieved , in the UK, Europe, and the US?

Q.2 Do you think that the Irish make better than average players? Give reasons for your answer.

Q.3 Do you think there are any emerging players with the talent/roll to do well on the EPT, etc? If so, who and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

When did you find you had a "talent" for writing? And I dont mean reporting, I mean writing?

If you were to write a book about irish poker and wanted to get the book off to a good start what would your first chapter include? A story? A particular hand? A biography of an Irish poker legend? etc and Why?

Are u a red pill or a blue pill man(in general)? i.e do you want to know the truth in things or do you just not care?

Are u one of those people that think Chuck Norris is cool? When clearly the biggest legend of all time is Steven Segal.

What traditional sport do you think poker is most similar too? i.e what skillsets do you think poker and this sport have in common?

Also, very good well so far. Poker guide material.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I read your 'my really small adventure' articles that are in your signature just the other day and sincerely thought of Bill Bryson in the style of writing tbh (don't be insulted, i mean it as a compliment!)

Thats mad so did I...I think Bill Bryson is great I have all his books,I always taught he should do a book about traveling around Ireland.

I suppose I should ask a question...Tom you are 37 and have not learned to drive is there a reason for this or are you just a lazy git...?I remember giving you a lift home a couple of times and you are always saying that you must learn to drive.A person in there 30s who does not drive in todays Ireland is most definitely unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Dub13 wrote: »
    A person in there 30s who does not drive in todays Ireland is most definitely unique.

I'm in my 30's (just) and I don't drive, and my best mate is also in his 30's and doesn't drive. Neither of us have ever wanted/needed to, is it really that odd?

DeV,

Since our first conversation I've always had a lot of respect for you, partly because I think we're very similar in a number of ways. Mostly though I think it's your fortrightness and honesty regardless of any personal detriment as a result. Of course I knew of you before we ever met, and again fortrightness and a sense of right and wrong came to the fore. My questions aren't poker related, but I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Do you agree or disagree with the following, and why?

1. The removal of corporal punishment in schools and the home is a direct and major cause of the increasing crime and alcohol/drug abuse amongst Irish teenagers?

2. The worrying increase in the sucide rate of young Irish men is a direct consequence of a feeling of being lost as a result of settling down later in life and the degradation of family and what that means within Irish society.

3. If you could save 10,000 innocent people by murdering one child, would you do it? If not is there a figure where you believe it would be the right choice? What if that figure included your family and closest friends?

4. We each choose our life before birth, including family, friends and challenges throughout our life in order to learn something that we are missing. We continue to be reborn, each time changing our circumstances until we achieve full understanding of the meaning of life.

It's been an interesting read so far, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Dev, I'm a year older than you and have never had a car, don't let them bother you!

Couple of Questions.
    Do you think the average GJP player is better off (financially) with iPoker as opposed to Tribeca? (Personally I play at a lower level with a lower ROI and lesser bonuses/rakeback than 8 months ago).

Any info on the EventsPromoterWeCantMention situation you can give us (I fully understand if you ignore this question)?.

You refer in this Well to drug-use, political subversion etc. Does it bother you that Boards.ie discourages these types of discussions?

When you dream of that final hand in the WSOP ME do you win it with a supremely played Quads or some wonderful K-high call?

Whats you favourite joke?

Excellent site, a huge amount of people owe you a big thank-you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Dev,
    I have to say I've enjoyed all the "wells" on boards, but specially your one. Your answers to all questions are straight and honest and to the point.Sometimes a well "peters" itself out. I think we as readers will be dissappointed when this one does.Congrats on a job well done.

PS; as organising snooker exhibitions is part of what I do for a living, I'd be only too delighted to organise one in league with yourself or whoever for one(or all) of your favourite charities with 100% of all proceeds going to the charity.If it interests you we can discuss it sometime.

Connie

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I know this is the poker forum but i would just like to chip in(Christ I just love the puns) with a couple of questions

1. If you were just a plain ordinary boardsie what if anything would you see that should be changed?

2. How do you feel about the cat pics being posted - especially when the topic is still alive and kicking.

3. Have you ever been in our neck of the woods (Donegal) and if so would you agree with the Board Failte slogan from a couple of years ago "Up here its different"

4. If you met Paddy20 in a pub would you buy him a pint or kick him in the nuts (or both)

5. Where do you see yourself (in life) in 5 years from now and what is your vision for boards in that timeframe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

From Sendic:

Poker:
    being involved with a live and online poker business, do you ever worry that some people on your site/at your events may be playing seriously beyond their financial limits?

Nope and I dont worry that the Food and Drink forum is leading people to obesity and alcoholism either.

fwiw I agree with your attitude, I just wondered if being on the "other side of the fence" had given you any cause for concern.

Thanks for your answers, good well.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

DeVore wrote:
    My medical work... I doubt you or any others here could tell me the URL of it.

I can :P

DeVore wrote:
    I went outside in a fit of pique and hurled the 4 x €50 notes up the street in disgust. (I very quickly went and picked them up again).

I never knew why you did that (I didn't actually listen to you when you told the story outside) but it was *very* funny to see you chucking the money away...especially cause one of the notes, if I'm remembering correctly, only travelled about 3 inches despite the full force throw :P

hrm I suppose I'll have to think of a question now...

lost or prison break?

Nic

con_leche wrote: »
    Well, thank you for and interesting well.

Q.1 How do you think Irish players are percieved , in the UK, Europe, and the US?

By those who are clued in they are perceived as being a small but talented group of committed players. Ever year at the WSOP I offer a 1:1 bet that Ireland will last longer then all of Poker Stars and last year they wanted odds because we crushed them the year Andy got there and the next year they beat us by 1 place afaicr.
    We are our own worst enemy on tour though, but *shrug* at least we have fun :)

Q.2 Do you think that the Irish make better than average players? Give reasons for your answer.

Yes, much better on average imho.

How many here went to he IPO? There were a lot of international players. The kind of guys who wouldnt have the roll to play the IO or WSOP or EPT. (Guys like you and me :) )
    Now, consider that they were serious enough players to get on a plane and fly here for the event... so they arent day trippers or casual players, those were the more hardcore of their countrymen in poker terms.

Now, I dunno about you but I would happily play against 80% of those guys every week. I honestly wasnt impressed much... was anyone?

As for why...
    What most people in Ireland dont realise is that we are a nation obsessed with games playing. We buy more consoles and more games (computer and otherwise) then any other country in the world, per capita. Including Japan.
    The Virgin Megastore's games department in Dublin outsold London, Oxford street, not per capita, gross. The largest players convention in Europe is in Dublin (Gaelcon).

We are a nation of games players and relatively well educated ones too.
    Its not really a surprise that we are good poker players, Ireland has a number of top games players outside the field of Poker too.

Q.3 Do you think there are any emerging players with the talent/roll to do well on the EPT, etc? If so, who and why?

There are a few like NFR, Halibut, Daithio, etc. There are others who have the talent and some who have the roll but both together is a rare combo.
    This is the problem (if you want to call it a problem) with Irish poker players abroad, there simply arent enough of us and while we have quality, we dont have the numbers.

DeV.

When did you find you had a "talent" for writing? And I dont mean reporting, I mean writing?

I think of writing as more of a "skill", something you need to work on almost every day, something that can be honed, and learned and practised rather then a inherent talent.

I always enjoyed writing essays in school, however my grades in them varied from E to A and back again. I couldnt understand why as they all seemed equally good to me, and my teacher was exasperated at my ability to write well when I wanted to or to (from his pov) palm him off with crap.

What I realised (through the debating team oddly enough) was that I wrote well when I was committed and engaged with the topic, when I had passion for what I was writing.

Over the years I've tried to hone and refine my writing skills. Its really a question of polish. You need to go back over every word in the piece, challenge it, review it, ensure its pulling its weight, creating the right mental picture in the readers mind. Can you cut it out? Can you say the same thing in 5 words rather then 10? Does this read easily? etc

You also need to be ready to simply rip something up and say "thats not good enough, start again". I have written a large volume over the 10 years Boards has been going but I have easily the same amount again that I havent published because I'm not happy with it.

Writing is very like singing for me in that you can work and work at it, and anyone can get better at it. Everyone can become a good writer, it will just take longer for some. (indeed my spelling is atrocious, always has been but I'm working on it!) :)

If you were to write a book about irish poker and wanted to get the book off to a good start what would your first chapter include? A story? A particular hand? A biography of an Irish poker legend? etc and Why?

I am working on a history of Irish poker at the moment (just in the initial stages in fact, may never come to anything!). It is a book of short stories of the last 25 years of Irish poker as best I can collect them over the next 6 months or so.
    I have written the intro which is a reworking of the "how did you get in to poker" piece I wrote as the opening of my particular story as an introduction to the narrator.

Are u a red pill or a blue pill man(in general)? i.e do you want to know the truth in things or do you just not care?

Definitely a red pill man. I would rather deal with reality because otherwise you are just wasting your time.

Are u one of those people that think Chuck Norris is cool? When clearly the biggest legend of all time is Steven Segal.

I watch those fads come and go online and I'm amused by the sociology of them but I can never really get into them myself.
    For the record I dont think Chunk Norris nor Steven Segal are cool.

What traditional sport do you think poker is most similar too? i.e what skillsets do you think poker and this sport have in common?

Someone once described tournament poker to me as "long periods of boredom interspersed with moment of sheer terror". In that way, its very similar to snowboarding. You get the carousel up to the top of the mountain taking 15-25 minutes, then possibly have to hike another 30 minutes through board off piste, 10 minutes to get geared up and check safety followed by about 5 minutes of screaming.

It has mental discipline requirements similar to snowboarding too, there can be a lot of "noise" in your head you simply have to get rid of and focus on what you are doing. There is the idea of full commitment or not at all too.

It can be like sprinting too, which I mentioned above I did a lot of. Ultimately its a solitary activity... oh there's lots of community but when you come fourth in a race, you are alone. Its a horrible feeling and very much like bubbling a tournie.

DeV.

Dev, I'm a year older than you and have never had a car, don't let them bother you!

They aren't :)

Do you think the average GJP player is better off (financially) with iPoker as opposed to Tribeca? (Personally I play at a lower level with a lower ROI and lesser bonuses/rakeback than 8 months ago).

Thats a tough one. I personally HATED tribeca with avengance. So I'm much happier on iPoker. I think with the new rake loyalty back scheme is much better for our players now. Its suprises me that no one has done a cross comparison of the VIP offerings of the various iPoker sites.

Any info on the EventsPromoterWeCantMention situation you can give us (I fully understand if you ignore this question)?.

The case continues. We are contesting it. When its over I will have a doozie of a blog. Beyond that, I can't say.

You refer in this Well to drug-use, political subversion etc. Does it bother you that Boards.ie discourages these types of discussions?

To be clear (before I paint a picture of myself as a gun totting crack-fuelled anarchist), I said that if the government became (effectively) fascist I would agitate politically and subversively. In fact I'm coded in the CIA's irish database as an activist from my days in college. (They are remarkably open about telling you that sort of thing by the way! Weird story behind that.)

I took copious amounts of majaruana when I was in college and after. I never did anything harder and my rules were "nothing white, nothing powdery, nothing expensive". I've never broken them.
    I don't recommend starting to abuse drugs of any kind (including alcohol and nicotine) but I dont vilify people who do. I don't see a need for a discussion forum about it though, apart from perhaps support/advice for rehab and thats definitely not us.
    Think of how many times we'd have to cut threads like:
    "Dude, anyone got any? I'm dyin here!" or
    "Dooooooooood, I'm soooo baked!"

As for political subversion, I only agree with leaving the bounds of protest within the system when the system is being used to subvert protest. The irish system isnt (though with the May day beatings, it came awfully close).
    We have a reasonably free press, we have unfettered access to the internet. Hence why I am a bit bonkers about the neutrality and freedom of Boards.

In the sense that Boards is free and unfettered and provides direct ability for any member of the public to publish what they want, it is possibly the MOST politically subversive thing I can do.
    We were mentioned on RTE news regarding the Eircom router hack which was announced here, how long until we have our first political scandal broken here? Seems unlikely now, but it seems inevitable within another 10 years.

Go and ask the Burmese or Chinese if freedom to communicate is politically subversive :)
    In any revolution, the mass media and free press are the first targets...

When you dream of that final hand in the WSOP ME do you win it with a supremely played Quads or some wonderful K-high call?

:o its 4,7spades winning on straight flush against Chris Ferguson. I know, its embarrassing that I have it down to that sort of specifics but I'd damn well bet everyone else out there has too :p

Whats you favourite joke?

Hmmm, been trying to think of one. I'm a huge huge Bill Hicks fan and love everything he has ever written. I am a Daily Show addict and think Jon Stuart is quite simply the second coming of Christ in satire.
    I dont know many actual "jokes" though.

The funniest thing I can think of was my mother objecting when I dropped money in a beggars bowl in town one day and she told me they will only spend it on drink and drugs.

"Oh yeah, cos like.. I wasn't?!" oops...

There was an awkward silence for a while. :)

DeV.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I suppose I should ask a question...Tom you are 37 and have not learned to drive is there a reason for this or are you just a lazy git...?I remember giving you a lift home a couple of times and you are always saying that you must learn to drive.A person in there 30s who does not drive in todays Ireland is most definitely unique.

You must be a little mistaken, I definitely never said I must learn to drive, I have very little intention of learning.

I DID learn to drive in so far as I could make the car, you know, go and I would kinda point it at my mates flat in town and generally get there.

I sat the exam and that was the last time I drove a car. It was a nightmare of Dantean proportions. I got 31 serious black marks (apparently you can't exceed 3!!), managed to break so hard the invigilator whacked his head off the dash board. Not only that but taking a right hand turn accross on coming traffic because I mistook a green light for a filter-right light (which seemed easy to do!) I elicited a scream of "oh jesus christ" from him. He was an aul dry sh*te anyway.

I failed the hill start, drove on the footpath and went around a roundabout three times. Which to this day I contest should be ok, I mean, why do you have to rush getting off?? Is it going to wear out?!

I was marked down for "Giving handsignals to another driver" when I gave a particularly obnoxious bmw-owner the finger!

At the end he got out of the car and told me "well, obviously you've failed but we have to do the written exam anyway". This consisted of him very poefacedly holding up signs like "No parking" to which I, equally poefacedly, responded "No unrinating". No right hand turn became No boomerang throwing etc etc... Each time he looked at me, placed the sign on the pile face down and simply said "No." and moved on. The single most joyless person I have ever encountered.

Having blown all the money I had on lessons I decided I never wanted to drive. Since then I have also come to the conclusion that is it hellishly stressful for me (and my passengers!), inefficient, expensive, time consuming and unnecessary. I spend less taking taxis everwhere then any of you spend on your cars. I am chauffeur driven and can have a drink when I please. It never rusts, pays tax, depreciates or takes up a parking space.
    It takes a little tweaking of your life (hence I live in the centre of town) but its a lot easier then people think to get by without a car.

DeV.

I'll take a break for a few hours and then finish the others when I'm back.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

:o its 4,7spades winning on royal flush against Chris Ferguson. I know, its embarrassing that I have it down to that sort of specifics but I'd damn well bet everyone else out there has too :p

DeV.

How do you make a royal flush with the 4,7 spades without Jesus having one too ???

Anyway, great well really enjoying it.

Q.

How bad were we all when we played those Antes Up 50 euro freezeouts (bearing in mind that some of us haven't improved at all) ?

What are the odds of the same player getting AA against you, two hands in a row :)

I have always found you very hard to read in games. Who is the hardest and easiest to read that you have come across?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I think people here have a secret plan by asking all the questions they can think of we'll have the book read for free!

To play devils advocate a moment:
    being involved with a live and online poker business, do you ever worry that some people on your site/at your events may be playing seriously beyond their financial limits?

Nope and I dont worry that the Food and Drink forum is leading people to obesity and alcoholism either.

Liberty is the freedom to go where you please, even if that may not be a good place.

Does this mean that in another life you'd be happily running a gun shop in the States?

• Advertisement

Iago wrote: »
    Do you agree or disagree with the following, and why?

1. The removal of corporal punishment in schools and the home is a direct and major cause of the increasing crime and alcohol/drug abuse amongst Irish teenagers?

In a roundabout way.
    This question more then most has had me thinking of how to clearly explain my thoughts.

There is a duality in the world, positive and negative which seems to crop up everywhere. In human nature terms it expresses itself as love or fear. Those are the two basic driving forces for everything we do, everything springs from love or fear ultimately imho.

The removal of fear, in terms of corporal punishment, was not replaced by love and so the kids are left in a void with no direction.

My father often threatened me with a hiding but never did. He successfully convinced me it was a possibility though :)
    But the reason I was well behaved was because he paid a great deal of attention to my life and was part of it. When I ran he would be at the end of the track watching. When I played rugby, he was on the sidelines. We talked a lot and while we had HUGE rows in my teen years, he still instilled values and character in me for which I am still grateful. My mother played her role in a different but no less impactful way.

The problem is that its a lot more work then dishing out a thick ear and many parents either didn't understand that they were going to be required to go to those lengths since the fear has been removed or just simply didn't have the skills to be that kind of parent.

Kids intrinsically WANT to please their elders. I have a 6 year old nephew who thinks the world of me and will do anything if he's told that I'll be pleased he did. When I'm abroad he pesters my parents to know when I'll be back.
    My point is that he is controllable through love as easily and possibly easier then through fear. Kids come with a built in desire to please and also to copy attitudes.

So, the removal of CP in schools has exposed a flaw in our parenting methods and skills in Ireland and as a result has caused a degradations you mentioned.
    I would contend that the path to a better society is by backtracking and then building a society on love and understanding of other people.

Partly thats a large part of why I insist on civility in general on Boards.

2. The worrying increase in the sucide rate of young Irish men is a direct consequence of a feeling of being lost as a result of settling down later in life and the degradation of family and what that means within Irish society.

Disagree.
    I agree that there is a worrying increase in young male suicides, something that is a silent travesty at the moment. I dont agree with the reasons you give.
    Basically my views on this are entirely analogous with the film Fight Club. We have no great war, no great depression, no defining event or hardship. We are free and we are more educated then ever about the world and our place in it. We have the time and the luxury to sit back and say "now what? is this it?". Combine that with the ever increasing (and dramatically so) pressures and stresses of just running to standstill in our modern world and it creates a pressure cooker of malcontent and depression.

3. If you could save 10,000 innocent people by murdering one child, would you do it? If not is there a figure where you believe it would be the right choice? What if that figure included your family and closest friends?

I hate these kinds of questions because you're never told WHY this is so. Just A or B... well I choose C, because there is always a C.

If you somehow concoct a situation where there isnt. Then its one to the head and a double-tap to the sternum. Tough break kid.
    I'd do this to my nephew if necessary, in case you are wondering. The next guy to get shot is the person who created the situation :):)

4. We each choose our life before birth, including family, friends and challenges throughout our life in order to learn something that we are missing. We continue to be reborn, each time changing our circumstances until we achieve full understanding of the meaning of life.

That isnt, technically, a question :)

I have read something like that before. Its a nice idea and conveniently unassailable within this universe. I'd like to think its true but I have no data on which to base a proof or disproof of it.

As far as higher power goes, I am certain we are replicating proteins in this universe. I dont know or claim to know what happens before, after or beyond but there is no requirement for any further explantion here.
    I wrote this to explore an idea I had about God and Science.

Wow, those answers got all metaphysciallyish. :)

DeV.

Advertisement