Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian national gets 10 years for rape

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

connundrum wrote:
    What about that guy who got 12 years today for false inprisonment, assault and rape of a woman over a 5 hour period?

The last 4 years of the sentence were suspended pending mitigating circumstances... wtf does that mean? If he doesn't rape anyone else in his first 8 years in prison he's free to go?

For the billionth time this year I'll say that the sentencing in this country is a joke, for all crime.

The mitigating circumsatances were that he came from a broken home and he didnt get a playstation for christmas last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hopefully, him being an ex-cop, will allow him only to serve one year...

...and come out in a coffin.
    three words:

cut... it ... off....
    Rape is sometimes about power, and can be done with broom handles, in cases where the rapist has a malfunctioning dick, and takes his own inadequacies out on women. It's ****ed up, but snipping it off won't change what they do, it'll just change how they do it.

=-=

As I don't want to be banned again from AH, I won't set out where we should send them, what they should do when they get there, and how we should shoot them if they escaped before their prison sentence was up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That guy tonight - how come he wasn't up on an attempted murder charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

Dublin teenager jailed for 12 years

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhkfcwojkf/

for your attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

And those are just the ones that make it to court.

Two new sets of numbers to boggle your brain..

One stating that for month of July 39 women attended the Sexual Assault and Treatment Unit (SATU) at the city’s Rotunda Hospital
    and for the month of June 31 women were examined.

That is 70 women in the space of two months and that is only in Dublin and only those who came forward for treatment.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhcwkfidojmh/

On average out of those who do go to the Rape crises centre and those who do attend the Sexual Assault and Treatment Unit
    only 10% will go to the garda.

So out of those 70 women only 7 will look to file reports and start the long and horrible process of helping to compile a file to be submitted to
    the dept of prosecution.

The second set of numbers say that 5% of the cases reported to the garda are taken by the DPP to court.

So not even one of those 7 women may get a court date after all the humiliation telling their friends and family and statements and the physical collection of evidence

And having it known with in their community that they were raped.

Currently from the time a person is charged with rape until there is a day in court there is a waiting time of 118 weeks. Yes, weeks that is over two years.

So by the time a victim (who is treated under law as just a witness) gets to testify in court a lot of them will have healed and dealt with the issue to some degree and find all their wounds ripped open again and many can’t face it and ask for the charges to be dropped rather then put themselves and their family through all of this again.
    Also all the resleased data is about sexual assualt and rape of women only and men are not factored in to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Thaedydal wrote:
    So out of those 70 women only 7 will look to file reports and start the long and horrible process of helping to compile a file to be submitted to the dept of prosecution.

Any how many convictions will be gained out of those seven? One I predict if lucky. It is a shocking statistic.

However, just because seventy women attended this clinic it is not an automatic assumtion they were all raped. There are, unfortunately, those who falsely allege they have been raped/assaulted which doesn't help the legitimate victim.

I agree, the wait between charge & court date is to long and a fast tracking system is needed to reduce the victim waiting for a trial.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Mairt wrote:
    Good enough reason for me.

I think regardless of your nationality a ten year sentence is too lenient and when your finished serving your time you should be sent back to your home country and a life time exclusion order issued against returning to the country of your crime.

100% agreed. Seriously, if youre coming to this country to 'make a new life' for yourself, and that life involves criminal activity and contributing nothing to our society apart from sexually assaulting citizens and draining our taxes while he rots in prison, then you can GTFO of my country as soon as youre done making friends with the paedos and rapists in the joy. F*cking bastard should be deported straight to a russian gulag IMO, he shouldnt even be given the chance to drain our taxes. Same goes for any immigrant committing any crime other than a misdemeanour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Marunie

Obviously he's a scumbag etc. etc. but what's the reason for fecking him out of the country after he completes his sentence? Because he's foreign?

What do you think should be done about an Irish person if they committed the same crime?

I know the PC brigade on boards.ie are all for letting anyone into the country and giving them the best of everything no matter what, but this is a new low, welcoming a rapist out of prison with open arms.

What do you want to do with him? move him into your house and share a room with your sister?

These scum need to be screened from genuine immigrants, we have plenty of scumbags here already - Idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 m176244

Is it just me or does the sentencing not fit the crime in these cases?He probably won't even have to serve the full ten years,he should be given at least 25 years with no possible early release he'd learn then that if you do a crime you'll do hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Marunie wrote:
    I know the PC brigade on boards.ie are all for letting anyone into the country and giving them the best of everything no matter what, but this is a new low, welcoming a rapist out of prison with open arms.

What do you want to do with him? move him into your house and share a room with your sister?

These scum need to be screened from genuine immigrants, we have plenty of scumbags here already - Idiot
    Attack the post, not the poster.

Read the charter before posting here again. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

0ubliette wrote:
    F*cking bastard should be deported straight to a russian gulag IMO, he shouldnt even be given the chance to drain our taxes. Same goes for any immigrant committing any crime other than a misdemeanour.

I don't agree with that; why should Russians bear the cost of imprisoning this guy? I'm not trying to be argumentative here; I'm just curious. Do most people think that immigrant criminals should be sentenced by their country of origin? That would be opening a huge can of worms, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Wacker wrote:
    I don't agree with that; why should Russians bear the cost of imprisoning this guy? I'm not trying to be argumentative here; I'm just curious. Do most people think that immigrant criminals should be sentenced by their country of origin? That would be opening a huge can of worms, in my opinion.

Well why the hell should we?? Hes not irish, he wasnt born here, he's costing US money and harming our society, why should we do anything BUT deport him??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Because he's committed no crime in the country he'd be deported to, wouldn't be tried for any crime, would be a free man and would be putting more women at risk?

I fully endorse deporting him after the sentence mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Wacker wrote:

AFAIK, there is an international agreement that allows people to request they serve their time in their home country if convicted while abroad...whether the Irish and Russian governments can arrange such a move without his request I don't know.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A guy in Galway got 9 years today for rape. He's Irish, so unfortunately there's no chance of chucking him out when he completes his sentence, something I believe should be done with anyone who commits a crime here after they've served their sentence. Likewise an Irish person convicted abroad should be sent back here after doing their time. But what worries me most about these two cases is that the Irish judiciary deems 9 or 10 years sufficient for some bollix who has put a woman through an absolutely horrific ordeal. Something needs to be addressed there before we start worrying about repatriating foreign criminals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Trojan911 wrote:
    Any how many convictions will be gained out of those seven? One I predict if lucky. It is a shocking statistic.
    You are missing the point.
    of 70 women were treated , how many others did not go ??
    then the percentages are

7 reported it to the guards (10%)
    0.35 cases went to trial (5%)
    0.24 had a guilty verdict (69%)

So only one trial per 200 visits to the Sexual Assault and Treatment Unit :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dublin teenager jailed for 12 years

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhkfcwojkf/

for your attention

You might be interested in this, that lads older brother was convicted for rape too!.

I know his father and sister really well, both lovely people but two seriously fvcked up brothers/son's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Back to the original post - this is the same Justice Carney who presided over the Wayne O'Donohoe case? The same Carney who launched a thinly veiled attack the other day on the young victim's mother, Majella Holohan, regarding her victim impact statement?

Won't go into the details of that particular case, or others Carney has presided over, but suffice to say that the legal system in this country is a farce and the judges and DPP are out of touch with reality. For a start, judges should have their room for discretion severely limited or removed - manslaughter should be 10 yrs served minimum. It's better to be perpetrator than the victim in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I don't agree on sending him back to the Russians right at the moment.

But I do think he should be expelled when he's finished his sentence.

And I believe that non-EU people arriving here should be held in detention centers until they're giving a clean bill of health (full medicals) and a complete background check.

Why should we continue to be the dumping ground for every cretin out there?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

.... I'd be inclined to see if the Russians would take him into their prison system to serve his time there, I'm certain he'd have a harder time there than here.

or maybe they would give him some medal of sorts if Putin hears about it

"Raped 10 women! I would never have expected that from him. He surprised us all. We all envy him."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/10/21/1160851171735.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thaedydal wrote:
    and there are the cases that never get heard like the young down syndrome woman who was raped by a lativan but the case will not be tried as she is not considered a crediible witness.

You've phrased that a little backwards. You mean that case where an unreliable witness claimed she was raped by someone? Unless you have more evidence that the courts don't have...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Ardent wrote:
    Back to the original post - this is the same Justice Carney who presided over the Wayne O'Donohoe case? The same Carney who launched a thinly veiled attack the other day on the young victim's mother, Majella Holohan, regarding her victim impact statement?

Won't go into the details of that particular case, or others Carney has presided over, but suffice to say that the legal system in this country is a farce and the judges and DPP are out of touch with reality. For a start, judges should have their room for discretion severely limited or removed - manslaughter should be 10 yrs served minimum. It's better to be perpetrator than the victim in this country.

I am very much against victim impact statements, partially because of the one given by Majella Holohan.

As far judges discretion; I wish they actually had any (in the real sense). As I said before, judges know better than anyone that there are too few prison cells in this country, and thus compromises must be made. I'd personally rather see a guy who commits manslaughter do eight years and a burglar do two years, rather than the manslaughterer do ten years and the burglar get a suspended sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I haven't read through all the replies so apologies if this has been noticed before:
    Mr Justice Carney directed that Goncarovs be certified for registration as a sex offender and that he should undergo six years post-relief supervision.
    Surely that should read post-release supervision? :D

It's a terrible case, an absolutely horific ordeal for the poor woman and her partner. At least he was caught before he murdered them or escaped to do the same to anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Pighead wrote: »
    Of course it should be taken into consideration that hes foreign. If for example Pighead done a big dirty steaming poo on his parents dinner table they'd be fcuking raging and would probably ban Pighead from teh house for a week or two. Eventually though they would welcome Pighead back into the bosom of the family home and all would be ok again.

Now if Johnny ****typants from the next village down, went up to my parents house and shat on their dinner table the repurcussions would be much greater. For a start Papa Pighead would knock seven shades of blue out of the fcuker. Secondly he would be barred from ever entering chez Pigheads parents again and would be forbidden from setting foot anywhere near the house. Proper order too.

Bottom line is this, its never nice to poo on somebodys dinner table but its twice as despicable if you've never even sat at that table before. Or something like that.

Lol, wiping away the tears after that analogy! True though...
    Saw in the paper today that an Irish footballer (from cork i think), who plays in the UK, was caught drink driving and admitted to drinking 7 (or 8, cant rem fully) pints and a few cocktails. He was put off the road in Ireland, but the ban means nothing in th UK! Rediculous!

...Not that drink driving can compare to rape or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

three words:

cut... it ... off....

i second that motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thaedydal wrote: »
    and there are the cases that never get heard like the young down syndrome woman who was raped by a lativan but the case will not be tried as she is not considered a crediible witness.

It took a day in court this week for it to be thrown out and the charges dropped.

Well it's possible that she actually couldn't be a credible witness. It's bloody harsh, but if she is seriously handicapped and there's no other evidence you're left with the word of someone with the mind of a 7 year old versus the word of an adult. It's incredibly hard to prove things based just on someone's word. Which is part of the entire knotty problem that is rape cases. If there's no other evidence beyond someone's word is it justifiable to bring criminal charges against them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There was phyical evidience and her sister walked in on 'it' happening.
    The problem being that rape does come down to a matter of consent under irish law and
    there is no protection for those who can not consent. ie while she may have the mind of a child she is not a child underlaw due to her age, her diminished capactiy prevents her from being a good witness but it is also that diminished capactiy that preculdes her from giving her consent in the first place.

Again the law is an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There was phyical evidience and her sister walked in on 'it' happening.
    The problem being that rape does come down to a matter of consent under irish law and
    there is no protection for those who can not consent. ie while she may have the mind of a child she is not a child underlaw due to her age, her diminished capactiy prevents her from being a good witness but it is also that diminished capactiy that preculdes her from giving her consent in the first place.

Again the law is an ass.

Ah, now that is truly harsh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

He should be thrown out of the country when his sentance is over, I doubt he would want to serve his sentance in his own country as the jails here are probably like hotels compared to Russian jails. Any non-national who commits a serious crime, eg Rape Murder, peados etc should be thrown out of Ireland once they get out of jail. As for our own bunch of scangers, I would seriously think about bringing back corporal punishment and also hanging for Murders, I would want that say for the piece of sh ite who raped and killed the Swiss girl in Galway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement