Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian national gets 10 years for rape

Options
  • 08-10-2007 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhkfcweygb/

Pretty horrific crime, but I'm gobsmacked at the last part of that story...
    Mr Justice Carney directed that Goncarovs be certified for registration as a sex offender and that he should undergo six years post-relief supervision.

Shouldn't that read "Justice Carney directed that Goncarovs be shown the door when he completes his sentence and never sets foot in Ireland again"?

I'm a card carrying pinko liberal communist at the best of times, but that scumbag should lose any right he has to remain here after he's done bird. I'd be inclined to see if the Russians would take him into their prison system to serve his time there, I'm certain he'd have a harder time there than here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Obviously he's a scumbag etc. etc. but what's the reason for fecking him out of the country after he completes his sentence? Because he's foreign?

What do you think should be done about an Irish person if they committed the same crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

I bet he will be out in about 5 years, some bleeding heart will make a case that the culture of the Irish prison system is alien to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

****ing hell! Raping someone repeatably in their own home :mad:
    Hopefully they'll put him in with general population in prison, rapists and molesters usually have a difficult time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Obviously he's a scumbag etc. etc. but what's the reason for fecking him out of the country after he completes his sentence? Because he's foreign?
    Because he's a rapist who has contributed sod all to the country and became a drain on the taxpayer's money while in prison.
    What do you think should be done about an Irish person if they committed the same crime?
    If you mean while they're abroad, they should be booted out of the country when they've finished their sentence. People who go to another country and commit a serious crime there should lose their right to stay in that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good enough reason for me.

I think regardless of your nationality a ten year sentence is too lenient and when your finished serving your time you should be sent back to your home country and a life time exclusion order issued against returning to the country of your crime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

From the article, I think the Russian in question had residency in Latvia and had free movement to come here to work nder Nice treaty.
    And yes, if they do get convictions here, they should be thrown out.

Unfortunately and a pity the Irish ones can't be thrown out too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mairt wrote:
    I think regardless of your nationality a ten year sentence is too lenient and when your finished serving your time you should be sent back to your home country and a life time exclusion order issued against returning to the country of your crime.

Sounds about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Mairt wrote:
    Good enough reason for me.

agreed, well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Mairt wrote:

Personally I agree and it boils my blood that our tax is paying for this scum of the earth to be 're-habilitated'.

The reason they aren't ejected from the country is because it would be seen as punishing them twice for one crime.... Now, to me that seems like a good thing, apparently not to the justice system... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

He should be deported after his sentence is finished and same goes for Irish people who commit crimes abroad. You are given an opportunity to live and work in another country, you don't go and abuse the privilege. Under certain conditions, US green card holders can have their status removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Says he was a copper in Latvia. God knows what else he has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Anyone who is capable of committing such a crime is capable of doing it again. He's not Irish end of story so let's send him back to whence he came, why take the risk of having the likes of him in the country. Since when did we become responsible for other countries scum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

No because the idea of accepting immigrants is that it is of mutual benefit to both the country and the immigrant. If he is raping citizens of this country then he should be allowed to stay here to enjoy the benefits of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ruu summed it up perfectly.

As citizens we can't exactly force them out of the country, can we? This guy we can, and should. He wants to live here he should have behaved like a civilised human being. Its not like he accidently raped the victim, its not quite an "oh oh, spaghettiO's" moment, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

What about that guy who got 12 years today for false inprisonment, assault and rape of a woman over a 5 hour period?

The last 4 years of the sentence were suspended pending mitigating circumstances... wtf does that mean? If he doesn't rape anyone else in his first 8 years in prison he's free to go?

For the billionth time this year I'll say that the sentencing in this country is a joke, for all crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

meglome wrote:
    Anyone who is capable of committing such a crime is capable of doing it again. He's not Irish end of story so let's send him back to whence he came, why take the risk of having the likes of him in the country. Since when did we become responsible for other countries scum?

If he had done this in Russia (i don't know maybe he has) he would have been sent to Serbia or something:)
    have you see how prisoners are treated in Russian Jails (especially ex-coppers)

Jail in ireland for him will be like a holiday camp:D

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

connundrum wrote:
    What about that guy who got 12 years today for false inprisonment, assault and rape of a woman over a 5 hour period?

The last 4 years of the sentence were suspended pending mitigating circumstances... wtf does that mean? If he doesn't rape anyone else in his first 8 years in prison he's free to go?

For the billionth time this year I'll say that the sentencing in this country is a joke, for all crime.
    thats not what it means. It means there was something that made the him less culpable like maybe he was raped as a child and is mentally scarred etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I hope he encounters "Mr Big" in the showers everyday for the rest of his sentence and I hope "Mr Big" orders him to "Pick up the soap" everytime.

Then send him back to Russia when released and watch him walking like John Wayne himself to the plane.....

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Of course it should be taken into consideration that hes foreign. If for example Pighead done a big dirty steaming poo on his parents dinner table they'd be fcuking raging and would probably ban Pighead from teh house for a week or two. Eventually though they would welcome Pighead back into the bosom of the family home and all would be ok again.

Now if Johnny ****typants from the next village down, went up to my parents house and shat on their dinner table the repurcussions would be much greater. For a start Papa Pighead would knock seven shades of blue out of the fcuker. Secondly he would be barred from ever entering chez Pigheads parents again and would be forbidden from setting foot anywhere near the house. Proper order too.

Bottom line is this, its never nice to poo on somebodys dinner table but its twice as despicable if you've never even sat at that table before. Or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

If he had done this in Russia (i don't know maybe he has) he would have been sent to Serbia or something:)
    have you see how prisoners are treated in Russian Jails (especially ex-coppers)

Jail in ireland for him will be like a holiday camp:D

:cool:
    Siberia i think you mean mate, Serbia is actually quite a nice place to visit these days, went to a music festival there as part of my 6th year holiday and saw Ian Brown and Underworld:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

and there are the cases that never get heard like the young down syndrome woman who was raped by a lativan but the case will not be tried as she is not considered a crediible witness.

It took a day in court this week for it to be thrown out and the charges dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

He measured sentence at the 15 years mark on the scale available to him and took into account Goncarovs' guilty plea which was of major assistance to the couple, that he had a history of work and came to Ireland to earn money to send back home.

He was caught in the womans apartment, red handed as it were and he got 5 years off for pleading guilty?

This country is a ****ing joke...

This guy should be doing 15 years at least and should be ejected out of the EU when he is done.... any citizen ship which is granted to immigrants should be strippable in the event of criminal activity..

And who decides on all this bleeding heart "5 years off because he was really good at playing the trumpet in school" ****e?????? seriously criminals should be treated like the scum that they are...

This country makes my blood boil...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Thaedydal wrote:
    and there are the cases that never get heard like the young down syndrome woman who was raped by a lativan but the case will not be tried as she is not considered a crediible witness.

It took a day in court this week for it to be thrown out and the charges dropped.

You're kidding?!?! Thats a joke, i am truly sick to the stomache at hearing this. Is there a report somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

They should send him back home to serve his sentence and never let him set foot in this country again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I too think he should be expelled from the country at the end of his sentence. I imagine I'm in a minority in thinking that ten years seems to be about right for a jail term, so long as her serves clse to all of it. Judges don't have it easy whatsoever; there are not enough prison spaces and keeping him in for longer means someone else can't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

griffdaddy wrote:
    Siberia i think you mean mate, Serbia is actually quite a nice place to visit these days, went to a music festival there as part of my 6th year holiday and saw Ian Brown and Underworld:D

:o:o:o:o Siberia of course:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You're kidding?!?! Thats a joke, i am truly sick to the stomache at hearing this. Is there a report somewhere?

Criminal court in Dublin last Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 UpcomingStudent

three words:

cut... it ... off....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There seems to be a lot of sensation about the Foreigner Rapist.
    Most rapes are by people known to the victim, but the idea that the criminal may go back to their own country isn't going to help improve the stats that 1 in 10 report a rape and only 5% of those go to court. In court there is a 69% conviction rate, but that is unsuprising when 95% of the reports don't get to court. http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/lack-of-reform-lets-rape-victims-suffer-in-silence-1050473.html

Found this
    http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2007/03/26/story303789.asp
    A Georgian national who raped a Polish woman on her second night in Ireland has been jailed for 10 years by Mr Justice Barry White at the Central Criminal Court.

while looking for this
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/09/16/story26550.asp
    He said he knew the attacks were wrong, but that alcohol made him feel braver. It was almost certain that, if he had not been caught, he would have struck again. Sliwinski had told his wife that he felt a ‘‘compulsion’’ to commit the assaults.

Mr Justice Paul Carney last month sentenced Sliwinski to ten years in prison for each offence, to run concurrently, and directed that he be certified as a sex offender.

‘An attacker who rapes a woman will be emboldened by the lack of any repercussions. Clearly, where nine out of ten cases do not get reported, this is a major issue. What we do know is that the once-off offender is the exceptio
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhcwkfeyausn/rss2/
    Mr Justice Carney said the serial and predatory nature of the offences, and their effects on the victims, would warrant a 14-year sentence.

However, he said he must also take into account mitigating factors, including Sliwinski's lack of previous convictions, history of employment, his wife who has stood by him, his co-operation, his guilty plea, show of genuine remorse, and that he's making "good use" of his time in prison
    I can't understand how his wife standing by him affects his sentence ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

if he committed the crime in a foreign country you would expect him to be booted out of said country.

foreign nationals who commit crimes here should be deported once they have served their sentence here

Advertisement