Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning 5 euro into 500, by rolling over "safe" bets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭wba88

Maybe throw it on dundalk tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

wba88 wrote: »
    Maybe throw it on dundalk tonight?

I reckon Monaghan will nick the draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

badbrian

MK Dons and Barnet to win they are 1st and 6th in the league playing teams who occupy the last two places in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Can't argue with them. I was trying something similar last year. I got a 20 euro credit on one of my accounts. I got it up to about 90 (not too spectacular I'll grant you) and then did a Wednesday night double on Derby and Sunderland who were top and charging up the Championship at home. Surprisingly it was Sunderland who let me down.

Dundalk beat Monaghan :)

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Dundalk beat Monaghan :)

Mike.

Nice one. But I felt Dundalk were at a ridiculously short price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

raheny red wrote: »
    Nice one. But I felt Dundalk were at a ridiculously short price.
    Why? 4/11 sounded about right to me. Dundalk haven't been beating in Oriel Park yet this season! Last nights win makes it 8 home wins in a row when playing sides in the bottom half and they haven't conceded a single goal. Not to mention the fact Dundalk beat Monaghan 3-1 the last tiem they played in Oriel.

Last 8 matches against teams in the bottom half= 1-0 4-0 2-0 3-0 2-0 3-0 3-0 1-0.
    If anything that price was a tad on the generous side.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

unlucky. not bad entertainment value for a fiver when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Funny thing, i was at this for the last couple of months with paddy power but what i was doin was a bit strange but passed away boredom.

When team a were beating team b 1-0 with 20 minutes to go id put a 5 or 7 euro bet on team a. short odds i know but i'd be a t this over a period of weeks. As i said this was purely to pass the time and not to buy a ferrari.

At times id be successful at times i wasnt. What i used to do was take out a percentage say 20% of my winnings every time, this was just to soften the blow for when the inevitable happens.

Most i ever got up to was about 300 quid on about a tenner, but i sometimes got cocky and sometimes the absoloute certanties let me down big time

What i also used to do was as well was bet a hundred quid on a 20 to 1 on. wow i hear u say i made a fiver but id take out the hundred quid straight away afterand start with that fiver

How much have i now? A big fat 0.
    Did i lose more than i won? yes.
    Did it break me? no.
    Did i enjoy it? When i was winning.

Biggest tip i could give anyone
    Put a limit on your account! Most i could bet in aday was a hundred quid.

Havent put a bet on in about a month cause im broke at the moment. Severly tempted with all the sport at the moment

I actually thought i had an addiction but thankfully i think i dont :)

Barnet let me down! They were held to a 1-1 draw, so thats my big adventure in "odds" over for now.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

These kind of things always fail at some point, say for example yesterday if you had a "safe bet" on either new zealand to beat france, or australia to beat england, or during the week, liverpool to beat marseille, or ac milan to beat celtic, all those 4 matches were odds-on favourites (sure bets) that lost in the last 5 days alone! all it takes is a single loss to completely wipe out everything. It won't work - sorry ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Noone likes a smug repost of their own point - except for said poster that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Here some encouragement Mike.

I did similar at the start of last season’s premiership. I deposited €20 online and the goal was to withdraw €500 at the end on the season. I wasn’t, however, rolling the balance up on one transaction. I was placing 35-40% of my balance on a single and the rest on doubles and craziness. My idea was to look at one good value single which I thought would win as insurance and with the other 60% of my balance place a double with a portion and go crazy with the rest (4-folds and above).

For the first few weeks I looked at the weeks games on a Friday and staked my entire balance on the above style of bets covering prem games. Call it luck, skill or whatever but after say week 6 or so I had circa €300 in my account and stopped going crazy and committing huge portions of my balance per week.

By the end of the season I had a bit over the €500 I had targeted but a mixture of things happened:

Withdrawing: I deposited with a laser card and the company I was betting with didn’t allow you to withdraw to laser. I was offered the option of a cheque (which would take 3 weeks to arrive) a bank transfer, no thanks or withdraw through there shops to a max of €200 a day.

Mentality
    : I had the mentality constantly 'at the end of the day it’s only €20'.The figure on the screen didn’t feel real and I didn’t really care if I lost it all.

I left the cash in there over the summer and when I went on hols this year I went to a baseball game and got into that so when I came home I started betting a bit on that (small stakes) and ran the balance up to nearly 1k just as the premier league season started. Still didn’t withdraw and started again.

My best football result this season is a return of €514.88 for a stake of €30.00 on this bet

European
    Milan vs Benfica
    Match betting
    2007-09-18 19:45:00
    Milan @ 4/11
    Win

European
    Porto vs Liverpool
    Match betting
    Draw @ 21/10
    Win

European
    Real Madrid vs Werder Bremen
    Match betting
    Real Madrid @ 2/5
    Win

European
    Schalke vs Valencia
    Match betting
    Valencia @ 19/10
    Win

I have over €1600 in my account now and I'm just about to withdraw the majority of it and start again (still have the same pains with the feckers letting me withdraw)

At the end of the day its a bit of craic, it improves your memory of obscure results from games from 6 months ago that you wouldn’t remember otherwise, gives you added interest in games you generally wouldn’t really care about and its all for (in my case) €20.

How about setting up a little league, everyone starts at the same balance and we track people’s balances for a fixed period of time with nothing up for grabs other than the prestige for the top earner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

ya sounds good €20 is good

Betcha i wont win:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    My best football result this season is a return of €514.88 for a stake of €30.00 on this bet

European
    Milan vs Benfica
    Match betting
    Milan @ 4/11
    Win

European
    Porto vs Liverpool
    Match betting
    Draw @ 21/10
    Win

European
    Real Madrid vs Werder Bremen
    Match betting
    Real Madrid @ 2/5
    Win

European
    Schalke vs Valencia
    Match betting
    Valencia @ 19/10
    Win

That's a cracking bet you landed there mate. Well done.

mike65 wrote: »
    Barnet let me down! They were held to a 1-1 draw, so thats my big adventure in "odds" over for now.

Mike.
    Unlucky Mike. Just read the match report on the BBC. A late penalty miss and a hit post for Barnet. Its all about fractions this game.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_3/7031487.stm

Oh and BrandonBlock, you're a spanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

He's not really. For some bizzare reason people need to be reminded that these things will not work.

He's not really. For some bizzare reason people need to be reminded that these things will not work.
    Fcuk that. Mike came on here, livened the forum up a bit with a self set challenge to turn 5 quid into 500. At no point did he claim his plan was foolproof and at no point did he come across as cocky or knobbish.

All the "seasoned" gamblers came on board throwing out their pearls of wisdoms in condescending tones and foreboding words not seeming to realise that he was only spending a fiver and that it made for a decent thread.

So yeah Block is a spanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Look, he used a fiver. He told us what he was trying. I'm pretty sure he knew it wouldn't be easy. Is there a problem with trying?

Unfortunately for you Pighead it didn't actually make for an interesting thread. So BrandonBlock's point is still quite valid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

wisesmurf i think that league is a good idea.....im thinkin pp or boyle coz there easiest to set up/withdraw from.
    €20 start for everyone and see what happens!

Unfortunately for you Pighead it didn't actually make for an interesting thread. So BrandonBlock's point is still quite valid.
    Everythings relative Aedh Baclamh. Lets face it the Gambling Forums a dead duck. That thread actually got people in here and judging by the views and replies its been the most interesting in a long time.

So unfortunately for you Baclamh that still makes Brandon a Spanner.

Nah.

And now look - everyone's willing to throw their money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

too true pighead,it seems there are a few dicks who post here wanting fellow posters to fail and then rub their noses in it,very fcuking sad tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Hi guys don't normally post in here but was watching with interest at how MIKE was doing, First off unlucky mate nice try.

Secondly , have to agree with PIGHEAD that BRANDON is a bit of a tool- these people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing, the bloke DID liven up the place and caused me for one to look at the forum , keep up the good work lads and it'd be nice to see someone else have a go at it.

Ps. like the odd punt on the football myself and i'd be well interested in that idea of a little league going .

I found this thread interesting, so who is up next with their fiver? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

raheny red wrote: »
    I found this thread interesting, so who is up next with their fiver? :D

might give it a go myself,bit of fun and its only a fiver ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

At the end of the day he got great entertainment from his fiver, he even made an MK Dons match interesting.

Mike may I suggest if you save up another fiver that once you hit 40 or 50 euro you start to bet with a percentage of the bank and not the whole lot, i.e. at 50 euro bet 40% of the bank, at 100 bet 30%, 200 - 20%. You will need an incredible amount of luck to keep doubling up, at least the percentages give you some fall back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Lile clickerquicklic I too am new to the gambling forum and was watching Mike's progress. So if you decide to start the league up I would join

• Advertisement

Holy crap I might have started something huge (and ruinous!) :p

It was only a fiver and I never thought bugger I lost 40 euro as if its not in my hand I don't belive money exists!

I think the approach taken by Wisesmurf is indeed wise while still being fun.
    gives you added interest in games you generally wouldn’t really care about

I never thought Barnet FC would be on my footballing radar!

I'm up for the league as well.

Mike.

Advertisement