Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks And Fools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

ntlbell wrote:
    No one's died by a ball thrown through a letter box but again what's your point?

I had a feeling there was more to this than the OP was letting on....

What do you mean "more to this" ?

"boreds If you know one of them, why not pay a visit to his parents and let them know how much a letter box costs."
    Thanks i actually never thought of that.( I mean that-im not being sarcastic)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

chasm wrote:
    What do you mean "more to this" ?

Well you left out you had previous problems with this set of teenagers before.

you also left out this is not the first time you called the guards on them eithier.

I would much prefer my neighbour to come to my door if they seen something like this and let me deal with it, ringing the guards on your neighbours kids is not something that sits well with me, obviously if you talk to me and it continues then that's a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

"boreds If you know one of them, why not pay a visit to his parents and let them know how much a letter box costs."
    Thanks i actually never thought of that.( I mean that-im not being sarcastic)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do that if i were you, just say the parents are scangers and don't give a toss, you'll really be in the sh*t then:eek: :eek:

:cool:

ntlbell wrote:
    Well this is what should of happened in the first place.

if the OP is looking out and see's teenage kids throwing fireworks at younger kids surley she can take the time to get a clean view of who the teenagers are?

Go and have a chat with their parents? like a good neighbour. looks like to me like she jumped the gun rang the guards and wrongly or rightly she is been targeted now for doing so.

It was last year that they were throwing the fireworks at my nieces and nephews.They walked past where we were standing and went to the front green and threw the fireworks back- i didnt see which one actually threw it. I approached the mother of one of them and she denied he was even out of the house!Some parents think their kids are little darlings and wont be told otherwise.

As regards last nights incident, I know the parents of the guy , well the father anyway and i wouldnt say he's the most approachable person on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

ntlbell wrote:

you also left out this is not the first time you called the guards on them eithier.

I would much prefer my neighbour to come to my door if they seen something like this and let me deal with it, ringing the guards on your neighbours kids is not something that sits well with me, obviously if you talk to me and it continues then that's a different story.

They're obviously little $hits. I'm sure the OP would much rather that their parents were good neighbours too and made sure that they weren't throwing fireworks around the place and in her letter box.

To quote yourself:
    ntlbell wrote:
    How do you suppose the parent's stop it?

have them in at 11pm? so they do it at 10/10.30pm instead?

How as a mother/father are you going to prevent your teenage kids from purchasing fireworks?

If you believe this, then please tell us what good you think it would have done for her to go to the parents?

• Advertisement

indough wrote:
    They're obviously little $hits. I'm sure the OP would much rather that their parents were good neighbours too and made sure that they weren't throwing fireworks around the place and in her letter box.

To quote yourself:

If you believe this, then please tell us what good you think it would have done for her to go to the parents?

It's a bit of common courtsey for your neighbour's.

It's not going to be easy for the parent but at least you have given them an oppurtunity these are people you have to live with it every day.

ntlbell wrote:

They are not my neighbours kids- most of them live outside /the other side of the town.They just hang out up in the estate.

chasm wrote:
    They are not my neighbours kids- most of them live outside /the other side of the town.They just hang out up in the estate.

Ok, good luck with it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

That's awful op..I hope you don't have to put up with it anymore.
    It puts me off this time of year...when fireworks are abused and used for crap like this.

bronte wrote:
    That's awful op..I hope you don't have to put up with it anymore.
    It puts me off this time of year...when fireworks are abused and used for crap like this.

Thanks bronte, I know what you mean, i have nothing against fireworks as long as they are used sensibly and for their purpose.

Thanks also indough i was starting to feel like the accused rather than the (hate to use this word) victim!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

No problem! I think they're great and enjoyable if used safely...but otherwise, it's just scary.
    I'd have panicked too if that happened to me.

chasm wrote:
    Thanks bronte, I know what you mean, i have nothing against fireworks as long as they are used sensibly and for their purpose.

Thanks also indough i was starting to feel like the accused rather than the (hate to use this word) victim!

I'll take a sensitivity work shop, by next October I'll be ready to participate in the group hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

ntlbell wrote:
    I'll take a sensitivity work shop, by next October I'll be ready to participate in the group hug.

Take the common sense one while your at it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

OP you have my sympathy.. Scumbags and fireworks is definately not a good combination.. An apartment down the road from me went on fire last cos some morons thought it would be funny to put a firework through the letterbox.. Luckilly nobody was at home at the time but the apartment was gutted. Of course the scummers doing this dont live in the area so it is very very hard to find out who their parents are. Another obsession they have is throwing fireworks underneath parked cars to see what will happen.

Could you get a lend of a camcorder and position it from one of your upstairs rooms so that you could footage of these teenagers??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We had a problem with kids throwing eggs at the house around halloween, and dozens of other premises in the town. Granted not the same problem as fireworks, but if you dont see them they dry and create black fungus patches some months later, so the house has to be repainted.

In my case I approached the parents (a 'professional' couple) and was given a load of abuse. The solution was eventually that the local guards asked shopkeepers not to sell eggs to youngsters - they even took them off the shelves for a couple of weeks, you had to ask for them, a bit extreme but it worked.

Judging by the number of apparently organised parties that go on around here coming up to Halloween there must be as many parents buying them as kids, so what chance is there of keeping them away from the kids.
    You have my sympathy op, but if the Guards clamped down and arrested people for possessing fireworks there would be complaints of the 'what harm, have the guards nothing else to be doing' variety.

Maybe its time to seal the letterbox and put a postbox by the front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Fireworks are illegal, possessing them is illegal, selling them is illegal, under new legislation last year, Gardai can prosecute !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ntlbell wrote:
    I had a feeling there was more to this than the OP was letting on....
    Yeah. She gave them fruit when they came to her door last year and they're still pissed off about it.

Ntlbell, stop trolling.

OP, try discussing this with all your neighbours.
    I'm sure you're not the only one they targetted.
    You may be able to put a stop to this if you group together and contact the Gardai.

I had a chat with a few neighbours as a friend told me that one of my neighbours had let a roar at the lads that night also. Unfortunately noone was willing to part with much info!! It doesnt help that some of these neighbours are related to the some of the young lads(aunts etc). One of the neighbours said she wasnt going to "grass" on her mates. So there you have it. These are the very people who would kick up a hell of a stink if it was their house that got targeted.

Funnily enough when i was talking to one of the neighbours, their young kid came out and she said that they(the lads) were pointing the fireworks at her when she was out playing, and she even told me the name of the lad that did it.(It was her own cousin for God sake! and also the guy whom i thought i recognised on friday night at my house)

I am going to attend the next residents meeting, and get the matter brought up, Though i dont know how much they will be able to do if the lads in question are not residents of the estate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not too long ago some fools set off fire crackers in a university post office mail drop and started a fire, burning mail and part of the building. What the fire didn't destroy, the fire hose water soaked. In the States such mischief is a federal offense, and the Postal Service has a $100,000 USD award for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of these fools.

Yeah thats what id do if i had a few grand spare. The fog disappears fairly quickly from peoples minds (and their supposed loyalty) when a wad a notes is being waved in their faces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Sorry to hear that OP, what a horrible experience! I'm kind of surprised at some people on here....but then again it sounds to me like they were little scumbags when they were younger and probably did the exact same thing! Hate to say it but it'd be no harm if one of them exploded in their hands while they were at this, then they'd see how dangerous they are. I hope for you personally you can get it sorted, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Lad i knew had one of those trigger operated crossbows (god knows why or where he got it :p ). Some young fcukers blew his letterbox apart, he knew who it was and responded by shooting the lad in the leg with the crossbow a few days later (friendly lad, not entirely there in the head dept but fcuk it, id have done the same)

The kids mother (not skangers, real uppity type) called around demanding to know if he had shot the son, real attitude on her. He proudly proclaimed that he indeed had shot the son, pointed to his damaged letterbox and shut her up by saying if she didnt fancy getting the cops involved she should STFU (he also claimed to have told her to take the arrow out of the boys leg and shove it up her ahem ahem :) That part of the story may have been embellished for comedic effect however :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wouldn't advocate commiting a crime, but if hypothetically someone else (besides the kids) put a firework in one of the neighbours' (the most reactionary one) letterboxes, they would immediately think that it was the kids who did it, and would put an end to it :) Just an idea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Haha sorry OP but I couldn't help but laugh at that! Classic story...

I agree tho, what knackers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

gazzer wrote:
    OP you have my sympathy.. Scumbags and fireworks is definately not a good combination.. An apartment down the road from me went on fire last cos some morons thought it would be funny to put a firework through the letterbox.. Luckilly nobody was at home at the time but the apartment was gutted. Of course the scummers doing this dont live in the area so it is very very hard to find out who their parents are. Another obsession they have is throwing fireworks underneath parked cars to see what will happen.

Could you get a lend of a camcorder and position it from one of your upstairs rooms so that you could footage of these teenagers??

ITS NOT "YOU'VE BEEN FRAMED":D :D

but Harry Hill doing a voice over on it might be funny:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

indough wrote:
    potentially lethal objects

Overreact much? The only way a banger could kill you is if you choked on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Get photos / video of them in the act. Then send the photos to the school that they probably go to. If the useless fat-ass guards won't prosecute arson, and their parents are just as big scumbags, at least maybe their school will sort them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Get a poison dart gun, shoot one when you see them fleeing. Drag his body to your basement, gag him and tie him up by the ankles from the ceiling. When he comes round, launch fireworks at him from the other side of the basement. Additionally, put fireworks in his ears and light them. Once he's learned the fireworks lesson, beat him to death with that baseball bat, and bury him in a shallow grave.

If that's a little too extreme, go with the videotape option. Show the guards as clear a video as possible, ask that they patrol that area for a few nights. If that doesn't work, show the video at your residents meeting and get a neighbourhood watch set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Maybe you should fight fire(works) with fire(works)! Buy some and then shoot them out an upstairs window at the kids just when they get near your house! That'll teach em'!

Failing that, wait for the little bast***s to light a firework that will explode prematurely:D

• Advertisement

HaHa Cheers TPD and Conor108, those 2 posts gave me a well needed injection of humour

Advertisement