Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks And Fools

Options
  • 07-10-2007 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, Had the fright of my life last night when a group of lads put fireworks through my letterbox. At about 11pm i was in my back garden and spotted one of the lads close to my front door(garden goes down side of house)
    I let a roar at him and saw about 5-6 lads run off in the opposite direction towards a large bush on the green in front of the houses, one of them then lit a firework and threw it in my direction.
    I phoned the guards who said they would send someone up to the house, so i waited, next thing a firework was put through the letterbox-the noise was horrendous(then of course the fire smoke alarm went off) and the letterbox was totally blown off the door, inside and outside flap. I did a quick scout around the house for something to cover the hole in the door but couldnt find anything then went outside. The group of lads were all roaring and laughing and they lit another firework and threw it at me. I ran back in the house and phoned the guards again to ask if they could please get the car there asap as i was really worried for my safety (im a female living on my own)- then another firework was put through the letterbox while i was standing in the hallway-The guard on the phone heard that one go off!!

The guards eventually came up but the lads had all fled by then.
    The short of it is if i can identify just one of the group they will make an example of them. Im fairly sure i know one of the group but what's to say he wont just get off for this and come back looking for revenge?

I cannot tell you how scared i was last night, especially after they threw the firework directly at me and put the second one through the door. It was then that i realised that these people did not care whether i was seriously injured or anything. The fact that there are no working streetlights to the front or rear of the houses where i live does not help either.

It is only early october yet and i dont think my nerves will hold out till after hallowe'en. Am I wrong to think that maybe vigilante justice is what some of these mindless fools deserve?
    Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

chasm wrote:
    Thanks for reading

No Problem

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Skangers + fireworks = bad for all :( Sorry to hear about that OP, sounds terrifying

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

chasm wrote:
    The short of it is if i can identify just one of the group they will make an example of them.

Am I wrong to think that maybe vigilante justice is what some of these mindless fools deserve?
    Thanks for reading

The guards will make an example of a kid playing with fireworks? LOL

I see what exactly are they going to do? make him pay a HUGE 50e fine?

Make give a donation to charity? or worse of all. HAVE A CHAT WITH WITH HIS MAMMY!

Your biggest mistake imo was ringing the guards....enjoy October!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

now they know that they will get a reaction from you i think your problems are just beginning.
    i know when i was a kid (a little bit bad sometimes) we would target the houses which we knew we would get a reaction/chase/guards called.

get a big dog:)
    if it was me i would beat the head of them with a baseball bat.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

ntlbell wrote:
    The guards will make an example of a kid playing with fireworks? LOL

I see what exactly are they going to do? make him pay a HUGE 50e fine?

Make give a donation to charity? or worse of all. HAVE A CHAT WITH WITH HIS MAMMY!

Isn't it arson to throw an explosive into someones house?

• Advertisement

indough wrote:

Correct, and I'm sure that's exactly what they'll charge him with and he'll be in mount joy for a few years in no time! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

indough wrote:
    I would think so.

Sorry to hear about it OP but I'm afraid the rest are right, feck all will happen to these little knackers.

When my kids are teenagers they won't be let do this sort of thing. Why don't the parents have them in home by 11pm anyway. A lot of parents don't give a **** as long as they're not in their hair.

dame wrote:
    I
    When my kids are teenagers they won't be let do this sort of thing. Why don't the parents have them in home by 11pm anyway. A lot of parents don't give a **** as long as they're not in their hair.

How do you suppose the parent's stop it?

have them in at 11pm? so they do it at 10/10.30pm instead?

How as a mother/father are you going to prevent your teenage kids from purchasing fireworks?

I understand you have the best intentions they're just not very realistic.

chasm wrote:
    Hi Guys, Had the fright of my life last night when a group of lads put fireworks through my letterbox. At about 11pm i was in my back garden and spotted one of the lads close to my front door(garden goes down side of house)
    I let a roar at him and saw about 5-6 lads run off in the opposite direction towards a large bush on the green in front of the houses, one of them then lit a firework and threw it in my direction.
    I phoned the guards who said they would send someone up to the house, so i waited, next thing a firework was put through the letterbox-the noise was horrendous(then of course the fire smoke alarm went off) and the letterbox was totally blown off the door, inside and outside flap. I did a quick scout around the house for something to cover the hole in the door but couldnt find anything then went outside. The group of lads were all roaring and laughing and they lit another firework and threw it at me. I ran back in the house and phoned the guards again to ask if they could please get the car there asap as i was really worried for my safety (im a female living on my own)- then another firework was put through the letterbox while i was standing in the hallway-The guard on the phone heard that one go off!!

The guards eventually came up but the lads had all fled by then.
    The short of it is if i can identify just one of the group they will make an example of them. Im fairly sure i know one of the group but what's to say he wont just get off for this and come back looking for revenge?

I cannot tell you how scared i was last night, especially after they threw the firework directly at me and put the second one through the door. It was then that i realised that these people did not care whether i was seriously injured or anything. The fact that there are no working streetlights to the front or rear of the houses where i live does not help either.

It is only early october yet and i dont think my nerves will hold out till after hallowe'en. Am I wrong to think that maybe vigilante justice is what some of these mindless fools deserve?
    Thanks for reading
    Move out of the westside of Galway.

ntlbell wrote:
    Correct, and I'm sure that's exactly what they'll charge him with and he'll be in mount joy for a few years in no time! :rolleyes:

Wow, with the power of rolleyes and your excellent use of sarcasm my post is totally discredited.

I never suggested they'd be sent to mountjoy, but I would think it's a little more serious of a situation than you were trying to pass it off as.

How can you state that the OP was wrong to ring the guards when the kids were throwing what are potentially lethal objects both directly at her and through her letterbox (a serious fire hazard).

Nice of you to be so blase about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

if it was me i would beat the head of them with a baseball bat.:cool:

i agree with this sentiment. you can get aluminum ones that make a very satisfying ding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Blowing your letterbox apart is criminal damage. A serious enough offence. I take it the lad in question is under 18? Regardless, he can still be arrested and charged. He may only get JLO'ed but it may be the deterrent he needs.

Make a statement about it at your local station and cite the criminal damage to your letterbox. Let us know how you get on.

indough wrote:
    I never suggested they'd be sent to mountjoy, but I would think it's a little more serious of a situation than you were trying to pass it off as.

How can you state that the OP was wrong to ring the guards when the kids were throwing what are potentially lethal objects both directly at her and through her letterbox (a serious fire hazard).

Nice of you to be so blase about it though.

I'm not saying she hasn't the right to ring the guard's she has.

I'm not blase about it at all. It is what it is, a few kids playing with fireworks.

Yes you were being blase about it, thats obvious from your post. And kids playing with fireworks is not a small thing at all, they're bloody dangerous things. It's not like they were kicking a ball around or anything, fireworks can and do kill people.

indough wrote:
    Yes you were being blase about it, thats obvious from your post. And kids playing with fireworks is not a small thing at all, they're bloody dangerous things. It's not like they were kicking a ball around or anything, fireworks can and do kill people.

How was I been blase? the guards won't do anything that's obvious and me stating the obvious is hardly blase.

Kicking a ball around can and does kill people.

Whats your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Thanks for all the replies so far, I did have a problem with them last year as well and I ignored it for ages(and i mean ages) but finally i had to get the guards after they started throwing fireworks over where my niece and nephews were playing. I will put up with a lot but i will not stand for any actions like that towards the kids.

Had those fireworks been put through my letterbox earlier in the evening there is a good chance that one of the kids would have been injured as their toy boxes are in the hall and they tend to play there because there's more room. And I am so glad my 5 year old nephew was "grounded" yesterday because otherwise he was supposed to have stayed at my house last night, I mean it scared the life out of me so god only knows what it would have done to him.
    The thing is these guys arent kids, they are aged 16-18 and should know better.

Of course a ball is as dangerous as an explosive. Who has died from having a ball thrown at them or through their letterbox?

As for the guards not doing anything I wouldn't be so sure i've seen nasty things happen to kids who do stuff like this. Can't they issue ASBO's here now? The guard did say he'd make an example of the kid.

ntlbell wrote:
    How was I been blase? the guards won't do anything that's obvious and me stating the obvious is hardly blase.

Really ntlbell, your posting is getting more confrontational and abrasive these days. Do you want a hug? Anyway, how do you know that the gardaí wont do anything about it? Such negative vibes man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭kirving

What you could do is get a few guys you know to spend the evening at your house, if any fireworks are thrown at the house, your mates will be there to beat the crap out of those scangers. They wont do it again.....

indough wrote:
    Of course a ball is as dangerous as an explosive. Who has died from having a ball thrown at them or through their letterbox?

As for the guards not doing anything I wouldn't be so sure i've seen nasty things happen to kids who do stuff like this. Can't they issue ASBO's here now? The guard did say he'd make an example of the kid.

No one's died by a ball thrown through a letter box but again what's your point?

I had a feeling there was more to this than the OP was letting on....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

What you could do is get a few guys you know to spend the evening at your house, if any fireworks are thrown at the house, your mates will be there to beat the crap out of those scangers. They wont do it again.....

That's exactly what i would do, the guards won't do anything unless they catch them red handed putting the fireworks in your letter box.
    :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Throwing fireworks about is alot moore dangerous than kicking a football. The parents should pay a large fine for such behaviour.

I know if I was caught with fireworks as a child, I would have gotten a f*cking reddening at home.

Kernel wrote:
    Really ntlbell, your posting is getting more confrontational and abrasive these days. Do you want a hug? Anyway, how do you know that the gardaí wont do anything about it? Such negative vibes man!

I need a hug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If you know one of them, why not pay a visit to his parents and let them know how much a letter box costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

ntlbell wrote:

No need to sound malevolent. (unless it's how you feel?)

ntlbell wrote:
    No one's died by a ball thrown through a letter box but again what's your point?

I had a feeling there was more to this than the OP was letting on....

What's my point? Isn't it obvious? You were implying that kids playing with fireworks was not a big deal. It is. Especially when they're throwing them at people and through letter boxes

ntlbell wrote:
    I need a hug.

*hug*

[eastern european voice] I sex you now. [/eastern european voice]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Funnily enough that was discussed earlier today! As was the Baseball bat idea mentioned a few posts up( something i have owned for a few years courtesy of an older brother) unfortunately its wooden though!

I have just heard the first firework of the night go off now!! Great!!!

Kernel wrote:
    *hug*

[eastern european voice] I sex you now. [/eastern european voice]

*be's sexed*

• Advertisement

boreds wrote:
    If you know one of them, why not pay a visit to his parents and let them know how much a letter box costs.

Well this is what should of happened in the first place.

if the OP is looking out and see's teenage kids throwing fireworks at younger kids surley she can take the time to get a clean view of who the teenagers are?

Go and have a chat with their parents? like a good neighbour. looks like to me like she jumped the gun rang the guards and wrongly or rightly she is been targeted now for doing so.

Advertisement