Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once saved always saved is a false doctrine..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Those that believe "once saved always saved" is a false docterine.
    Run_to_da_hills said:
    The main argument of those who believe the doctrine of OSAS is that God promised security to the believer and don't get me wrong God has promised security to the believer but there is a condition...You must follow him!.
    Perseverance of the Saints teaches the same.
    John 10:27-29 “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.”

Jesus says that the security he provides is for those who “hear my voice” and “follow me”
    Exactly. But note what it says about His sheep. They follow Him; not, follow Him for a time. They never perish; not, sometimes perish.
    These passages, however, don't discuss what happens if an individual chooses to wander from the fold, or to leave the love of God.
    Indeed they don't, for the true believer cannot leave the fold or the love of God. If they sin, He chastises them and causes them to repent.

Remember the terms of the New Covenant: it is unconditional and cannot be broken.

Remember how God dealt with sinning saints in Corinth: sickness, and even death. Were they damned? Not at all, for the Holy Spirit gives us the reason for this chastisement:
    1 Corinthians 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.
    1 John 1:7 says, “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.”

1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

1 John 2:1 teaches, “My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:”

He also says:
    1 John 3:9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

1 John 5:18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him. 19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.

This is the practice of sin, rather than isolated incidents. The true believer falls into sin occasionally, but never returns to sin as a dog returns to its vomit. Those who so return prove they were bogus to begin with - like Judas, who was a thief all the time he professed faith.
    Consider also Hebrews 6:4-6 which says, “For as touching those who were once enlightened and tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the age to come, and then fell away, it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame
    What do you believe this passage teaches? A true believer can fall away and perish?

If so, you must also believe that any true believer who falls away never can come back. Do you believe that?

You seem to say elsewhere that they can repent and be restored.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not sure.
    wolfsbane wrote: »
    Exactly. But note what it says about His sheep. They follow Him; not, follow Him for a time. They never perish; not, sometimes perish. Indeed they don't, for the true believer cannot leave the fold or the love of God. If they sin, He chastises them and causes them to repent. Remember the terms of the New Covenant: it is unconditional and cannot be broken.
    Depends on the Christian, if he is a backslider and falls away from his faith, God will do everything in his [power to try and put that person back on track through repentance BUT GOD CANNOT FORCE ANYONE TO TURN BACK. IF THAT PERSON REFUSES TO REPENT AND DIES HE WILL BE DANMED!! END OF STORY> For the wages of sin is death Romans 6 vs 23.
    What do you believe this passage teaches? A true believer can fall away and perish?
    Absolutly. The parable of the vine testifies this.

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. John 15:1-27(KJV)
    If so, you must also believe that any true believer who falls away never can come back. Do you believe that? You seem to say elsewhere that they can repent and be restored.:confused:
    Throughout Scripture especially in the four Gospels there are parables dealing with Repentant sinners ie. those that "saw the light", ie. "born again", "saved" that have strayed away fron the truth and have genuinely repented and have come back to it ie both the parable of the lost coin and prodogal son.

Also Scripture there are parables of those that "saw the light", ie. "born again", "saved" that have strayed away fron the truth and NEVER came back or repented and have DIED in their sin and subsiquently ended up burning in eternal hell such as the parable of the unprofitable servant. Unfortunitally those that follow your religion, i.e. OSAS like to dismiss all these parables altogether and say they only concern the unsaved.

Run_to_da_hills said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    Exactly. But note what it says about His sheep. They follow Him; not, follow Him for a time. They never perish; not, sometimes perish. Indeed they don't, for the true believer cannot leave the fold or the love of God. If they sin, He chastises them and causes them to repent. Remember the terms of the New Covenant: it is unconditional and cannot be broken.

Depends on the Christian, if he is a backslider and falls away from his faith, God will do everything in his [power to try and put that person back on track through repentance BUT GOD CANNOT FORCE ANYONE TO TURN BACK. IF THAT PERSON REFUSES TO REPENT AND DIES HE WILL BE DANMED!! END OF STORY> For the wages of sin is death Romans 6 vs 23.
    You are inserting human thinking here, Bro. Note the terms of the New Covenant: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. No ifs or maybes.

That belonged to the 'free-will' Old Covenant - do this and live; don't do it and die. The Law proved to all that man is incapable of living a holy life, no matter how much instruction and encouragement he has from God. Man's heart is totally depraved, not one part of it uncontaminated by sin. It is a rebel heart and cannot submit to God.

The New Covenant promise is that God will change that vile heart. Change it so that it will never reject Him. That promise to the nation of Israel has come to the Gentiles also. All who enter that covenant will follow Him, and will never perish.
    Quote:

Absolutly. The parable of the vine testifies this.
    No, it doesn't. It speaks of all who profess Christ, not all who possess Him. That reconciles with the other Scriptures that teach that the believer will persevere to the end. Otherwise the Scripture contradicts itself.

Quote:
    If so, you must also believe that any true believer who falls away never can come back. Do you believe that? You seem to say elsewhere that they can repent and be restored.

It can be quite difficult for a believer to come back . A repentand sinner is explained in both the parable of the lost coin and prodogal son.
    Difficult??? If those texts speak, as you allege, of a true believer falling away then it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to return.

That what the text says:
    Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

Run_to_da_hills said:
    Throughout Scripture especially in the four Gospels there are parables dealing with Repentant sinners ie. those that "saw the light", ie. "born again", "saved" that have strayed away fron the truth and have genuinely repented and have come back to it ie both the parable of the lost coin and prodogal son.

Also Scripture there are parables of those that "saw the light", ie. "born again", "saved" that have strayed away fron the truth and NEVER came back or repented and have DIED in their sin and subsiquently ended up burning in eternal hell such as the parable of the unprofitable servant. Unfortunitally those that follow your religion, i.e. OSAS like to dismiss all these parables altogether and say they only concern the unsaved.
    Yes, they only speak of the unsaved. The former are born lost but are then found by God - The sense in which they were once His is that of Him being their Creator. They were lost in Adam.

The latter - those who profess faith but fall away and perish are those whom Christ never knew. Their profession was empty.

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

If these parables speak of truly saved people becoming unsaved again, then they contradict all the other texts that teach they will persevere to the end.

Not sure.
    Run_to_da_hills said:

Yes, they only speak of the unsaved. .
    I was expecting that answer.which makes those three parables out to be NONSENSE .
    Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’.

No there is no contradicrtion what so ever. Many saved will endure to the end and many "saved" will fall away from grace and be danmed as simple as that. :)

Jesus is clearly preaching about those that were saved and went out preaching with the wrong motive. They may have thought that they were doing God a favour but will be turned away and damned on Judgement day. Such will be many of these greedy Gospel prerachers and television evangelists. This is also discussed Romans 16 vs 17.18 "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple". Romans 16 vs 17,18
    If these parables speak of truly saved people becoming unsaved again, then they contradict all the other texts that teach they will persevere to the end.
    These parables preach of "falling away from grace" a choice made by man and not god. a person makes the choice to follow Christ or not. Jesus preaches more about Hell than Heaven in the Bible. A book which you dismiss as important because you have this "Get out of Jail card" in your back pocket. A card which gives you amnesty to all your actions of the future no matter how bad they get. I certainly dont buy that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Jesus is clearly preaching about those that were saved and went out preaching with the wrong motive. They may have thought that they were doing God a favour but will be turned away and damned on Judgement day. Such will be many of these greedy Gospel prerachers and television evangelists. This is also discussed Romans 16 vs 17.18 "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple". Romans 16 vs 17,18

Jesus is warning Saved Christians of 'wolves in sheeps clothing'.........or Nominal Christians.....who have never been Saved!!!!!:)
    These parables preach of "falling away from grace" a choice made by man and not god. a person makes the choice to follow Christ or not. Jesus preaches more about Hell than Heaven in the Bible. A book which you dismiss as important because you have this "Get out of Jail card" in your back pocket. A card which gives you amnesty to all your actions of the future no matter how bad they get. I certainly dont buy that.

The Word of God is addressed to BOTH the Saved and the Unsaved!!!!

......and could I gently remind you that Jesus Christ Himself, is every Saved Christians 'Get out of Jail Free Card'.......because He offers total remission of sins (no matter how bad) to ALL who believe on Him and repent!!!!

.......as I have said before, this may be very uncomfortable for a legalist........who would like full punishment meted out for sin.......
    .......but the alternative of full subjection to the Law of God .......with every sin fully punished, would result in Eternal Damnation for ALL sinners.....i.e. EVERYBODY.......including the legalists themselves!!!!

Jesus made the once-off perfect atonement for ALL sin.........and as a Saved Christian, I am priveliged to avail of this atonement as an unworthy sinner deserving of God's punishment......but receiving God's Merciful Grace instead!!!:D

Back a few months ago, I was talking to somebody with a legalistic mindset and he was talking about road safety and how he had been recently 'rewarded' by the Police for what he claimed to be his good driving within the Law.
    Knowing that the Law can only condemn and expects obedience to its ordinances, without any reward for doing so, I was intrigued as to how the Police had 'rewarded' this person for obeying the Law, when the Police are only enforcers of the Law.

Anyway, the legalist told me that the Police 'rewarded' him by pulling over a driver who had just passed him out on a Motorway.......
    .......so apparently this Legalist got his 'reward' from seeing others condemned........
    .......not realising that he too is also subject to the condemnation of the Law if he errs and falls foul of the Law.......

......and just a few days later I again met the same Legalist (there are a lot of them about) ......and this time, he was loudly complaining that the Police had just pulled him over and cautioned him ..........for driving too SLOW on a Motorway!!!!:D

.......let he who is without sin, cast the first stone......!!!:D

also known as 'what comes around ......goes around'!!!!!:D

......or if you live by the sword you can expect to die by the sword!!!!

Not sure.
    J C wrote: »
    Jesus is warning Saved Christians of 'wolves in sheeps clothing'.........or Nominal Christians.....who have never been Saved!!!!!:)
    No Jesus is warning of those that have strayed away from the truth, he is warning of the likes of those that are spreading false gospel of eternal security or Once Saved Always Saved. Eternal security teachers declare we are justified by faith as in Romans 5:1, but they stop there! They never proclaim the additional truth that a true believer can cease believing and fall away or die spiritually. Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away Luke . 8:13.
    And these nominal Christians will 'fall away' in huge numbers from even their nominal adherance to Christianity as we approach the End Times .....and this is known as the 'Great Apostacy' which is a pre-cursor to the emergence of the Anti-Christ.
    Many Saved otr Born again believers will aslo fall away during the great apostacy. For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if [it were] possible, even the elect. Mark 13 22. Dont try to explain to me that the Elect are not Born Again believers.
    The Word of God is addressed to BOTH the Saved and the Unsaved!!!!..and could I gently remind you that Jesus Christ Himself, is every Saved Christians 'Get out of Jail Free Card'..because He offers total remission of sins (no matter how bad) to ALL who believe on Him and repent!!!!
    TO THOSE THAT CHOOSE FOLLOW HIM AND ENDURE TO THE END ONLY!!!!!. THOSE THAT FOLLOW HIM AND THEN DELIBERATELY DECIDE TO TURN AWAY FROM HIM AND SIN ARE DANMED!! IF someone gives up on Christ and dies in sin his "Get out of Jail card" is useless!! End of story!! . However if that person chooses to repent later on God will always accept him back. (Dangerous trick of the devil is to put repentance on the long finger!!!!).
    Jesus made the once off perfect atonement for ALL sin.........and as a Saved Christian, I am priveliged to avail of this atonement as an unworthy sinner deserving of God's punishment......but receiving God's Merciful Grace instead!!!:D
    Jesus made the once off perfect atonement for ALL sin but for those only that take up the offer of salvation and endure to the end. My past sins are forgiven when I became a Born again believer. My future sins are NOT forgiven if I deliberatly sin and refuse to continue in his offer of attonement. http://www.gospeltruth.net/1835Lect_on_Rev_of_Rel/35revlec21.htm

No Jesus is warning of those that have strayed away from the truth, he is warning of the likes of those that are spreading false gospel of eternal security or Once Saved Always Saved. Eternal security teachers declare we are justified by faith as in Romans 5:1, but they stop there! They never proclaim the additional truth that a true believer can cease believing and fall away or die spiritually. Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away Luke .

These are NOT saved.......
    ....they HEAR the Word of God and are receptive towards it to the point of believing it to be true.....BUT there is no mention of them repenting and believing on Jesus Christ to save them.....

........they are 'feel-good' people who superficially 'go with the flow' ......but if and when they are tested they fall away .......because they haven't actually been saved.

8:13.Many Saved otr Born again believers will aslo fall away during the great apostacy. For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if [it were] possible, even the elect. Mark 13 22. Dont try to explain to me that the Elect are not Born Again believers.

Yes, the Elect ARE Saved Christians........but the condition "if it were possible" ......clearly implied that it will NOT be possible to deceive them......although Satan will make a pretty good attempt to do so!!!!

The Elect are not saved from the seduction of false Christs and prophets through their own wisdom.........they are saved from believing such people through the Spiritual Discernment available to them through being indwelt by the Holy Spirit.

TO THOSE THAT CHOOSE FOLLOW HIM AND ENDURE TO THE END ONLY!!!!!. THOSE THAT FOLLOW HIM AND THEN DELIBERATELY DECIDE TO TURN AWAY FROM HIM AND SIN ARE DANMED!! IF someone gives up on Christ and dies in sin his "Get out of Jail card" is useless!! End of story!! . However if that person chooses to repent later on God will always accept him back. (Dangerous trick of the devil is to put repentance on the long finger!!!!). Jesus made the once off perfect atonement for ALL sin but for those only that take up the offer of salvation and endure to the end. My past sins are forgiven when I became a Born again believer. My future sins are NOT forgiven if I deliberatly sin and refuse to continue in his offer of attonement. http://www.gospeltruth.net/1835Lect_on_Rev_of_Rel/35revlec21.htm
    The only point we differ on is WHY a Saved Christian endures to the end......is it through their own effort and merit.......or is it because they have been saved ......and are indwelt by the Holy Spirit????

......so I guess it comes down to whether you believe yourself to be elected and protected by God ........from the moment you are saved!!!

.......you clearly believe that you are NEVER really saved.........and you can only find out your fate at the Judgement.

......and I believe that we are saved when we believe on Jesus Christ to save us........and our subsequent good works are the fruit of our salvation .....and not it's cause.:D

Not sure.
    [QUOTE=J C;55337484.you clearly believe that you are NEVER really saved.........and you can only find out your fate at the Judgement.

......and I believe that we are saved when we believe on Jesus Christ to save us........and our subsequent good works are the fruit of our salvation .....and not it's cause.:D[/QUOTE]

Your interpretation of being saved is the "initial convert" i.e. the time of enlightment. This is only the beginning of the salvation process. If a person died at the time of his initial conversion he would be "saved" in your sense however that person still has a life ahead of him and must endure the temptations of the Devil and choose the narrow way, If not he will loose all what he gained and will be worse off than the unsaved ie damned to eternity.

Your interpretation of being saved is the "initial convert" i.e. the time of enlightment. This is only the beginning of the salvation process.

Perhaps our differences are more theoretical than actual........in relation to post-Salvation sinning.....
    We both appear to believe that the Saved should continue to avoid sin......(because it hastens physical death and out of love and respect for God. in my case)......and in your case for these reasons, as well as avoiding perdition).......so there isn't much 'licence' to sin in either of our positions!!!!
    If a person died at the time of his initial conversion he would be "saved" in your sense however that person still has a life ahead of him and must endure the temptations of the Devil and choose the narrow way, If not he will loose all what he gained and will be worse off than the unsaved ie damned to eternity.

Your version of Salvation makes it practically impossible for anybody to be saved unless they die at the moment that they are 'saved and sin-free' (according to you). BTW I don't believe that the Saved are EVER sin-free.....even at the moment of Salvation......we are saved IN our sins.....and our sinful state CONTINUES to afflict our sinful bodies.....and that is WHY the Saved die ......just like the Unsaved.

Your idea that we are only fully 'sin-free' at the moment that we first repent and are Saved..........would encourage people to logically put off being saved until they were on their deathbeds ......so that they would have the best chance of then being 'sin-free' at the moment of death (and we both agree that putting off Salvation is NOT a good idea, because you might not get the chance to be saved on your deathbed).

Your idea, that sins committed by people after they are saved will be judged even more harshly by God than those of the Unsaved, would ALSO encourage people to put off being saved to as close to death as possible.....to avoid the supposedly harsher sanction from God upon Saved sinners.....who sin between being saved and dying.

Your idea of a harsher judgement on the sins of the Saved also begs the question of WHY God would judge any sin more harshly than the next, when EVERY sin is an EQUAL abomination to Him.....
    ......it also begs the question of HOW God would implement this supposedly harsher judgement, when eternal perditon is the punishment for ALL sin.......and there are no degrees of 'eternal'........or 'perdition'!!!!

Once Saved Always Saved derives from the ability of Humans to freely enter into a binding Covenant with God whereby they believe on Jesus Christ and repent of their sins .....and God saves them.
    ....and the idea that somebody who is Saved and indwelt by the Holy Spirit would want to subsequently break their Covenant with God is quite preposterous !!!!:)

.....and the idea that God would break His Covenant with a sinner that He has Saved is even more preposterous.

However, if you want a 'belt and braces' Salvation, then after you are saved by believing on Jesus Christ, you can repent of your sinful state every hour, on the hour, for the rest of your life..............if that makes you feel any better!!!

I don't believe that it will make any difference to your Saved State.......but if it comforts you, then why not do it!!!!:D

• Advertisement

Run_to_da_hills said:
    I was expecting that answer.which makes those three parables out to be NONSENSE .
    No they don't - they warn that not all who profess faith are genuine. This removes a possible stigma on the gospel - that God is unable to keep most of those who come to Him, or that the Cross is a massive failure, or that God is ultimately captive to man's will.
    Quote:
    Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’.

No there is no contradicrtion what so ever. Many saved will endure to the end and many "saved" will fall away from grace and be danmed as simple as that.

You completely ignore what Christ says: "I never knew you" Not , "I knew you for a while, until you fell away".
    Such will be many of these greedy Gospel prerachers and television evangelists.
    You think any of them were ever saved? They are like Judas, thieves from the beginning. But you must believe Judas was also truly saved?
    This is also discussed Romans 16 vs 17.18 "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple". Romans 16 vs 17,18
    Indeed - false brethren, as Paul calls them elsewhere. Not fallen, FALSE.2 Corinthians 11:26 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

Galatians 2:4 And this occurred because of false brethren secretly brought in (who came in by stealth to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage),

Or savage wolves:
    Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.
    I am just perplexed that you can accuse me of dismissing the Bible, or continuing to say I believe I have an amnesty for sin. Do you not bother to read my posts? Did you not hear me say that those who practice sin never were Christians? Did you not check the Bible passages I gave you?

I begin to suspect you don't want to hear what the Bible says, but are committed to some half-baked American 'fundamentalist' who is ignorant both of history and Bible. How ironic that this ability to fall from grace is a key Roman Catholic doctrine, as Noel rightly points out, but is promoted by those who cry loudest about the errors of Rome!

But here is a further chance to prove your submission to Scripture:

Answer this - JC and I have asked you about it several times and you ignored it - does Hebrews 6:4-6 teach it is IMPOSSIBLE for those who fall away to return again?

Not sure.
    You completely ignore what Christ says: "I never knew you" Not , "I knew you for a while, until you fell away".

Once again typical of OSAS preachers, You quote scripture but ommitting the most important part of the verse. "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" Matthew 7vs23.
    Backsliders are those who have fallen back into their iniquity and Our lord dose not want to know them (Unless they repent.)
    I am just perplexed that you can accuse me of dismissing the Bible, or continuing to say I believe I have an amnesty for sin. Do you not bother to read my posts? Did you not hear me say that those who practice sin never were Christians? Did you not check the Bible passages I gave you??
    Any one who believes in the lie of OSAS believes they have a full amnesty from future sin and backlsliding. I have backslidden several time since my convert back in January of 1986. I went for almost 10 years without entering a Church or opening a Bible(Except a Catholic Church for weddings and funerals) . Certain circumstances have got me to turn back to god including an almost fatal car accident in 1996, However I believe those that were once enlightened or "Saved" and are living in sin and do not answer gods whispers to repent and are living a double life are back on the wide road and are only fooling themselves by playing the church game. God detests double mindedness. "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways" James 1vs8. also "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth".Revelation 3vs 16

I begin to suspect you don't want to hear what the Bible says, but are committed to some half-baked American 'fundamentalist' who is ignorant both of history and Bible. How ironic that this ability to fall from grace is a key Roman Catholic doctrine, as Noel rightly points out, but is promoted by those who cry loudest about the errors of Rome!??
    It is infact the American 'fundamentalist' Baptist movement that I hold responsible for dwelling on Calvinst Docterine of "perseverence of the saints" the likes of Billy Graham and others leading millions into believe in this dirty lie of the Devil.

But here is a further chance to prove your submission to Scripture:

Answer this - JC and I have asked you about it several times and you ignored it - does Hebrews 6:4-6 teach it is IMPOSSIBLE for those who fall away to return again?
    There you go again, Quoting your little bit of scripture without the body of the text included. .

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame. Note: The word for enlightened also means imbued (permeated) with saving knowledge. The word for tasted also means partook of, enjoyed, experienced. So that proves these people were real born-again Christians. The word for if here does NOT mean if. It means and, also, even, indeed, but. The NASB has the correct translation here: and then have fallen away The if is not justifiable. It makes it look like if you ever fall away then you can never get back. That is not true. and then have fallen away means that they are and still in the fallen away state. The Greek word for fall away means to deviate from the right path, turn aside, wander, to error, to fall away from the true faith. But one can get out of the fallen away state by no longer being deviated from the right path, and no longer not having faith, by turning back to God. Then God's goodness leads them to repentance (Romams 2:4).

This Scripture clearly indicates that a person may become a partaker of the Holy Spirit, obviously a true born-again Christian, and yet fall away and be lost.

wrote:

Run_to_da_hills
    Once again typical of OSAS preachers, You quote scripture but ommitting the most important part of the verse. "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" Matthew 7vs23.
    Backsliders are those who have fallen back into their iniquity and Our lord dose not want to know them (Unless they repent.)

.....the MOST IMPORTANT part of this verse....... in deciding the validity of the OSAS position .......is the phrase by Jesus Christ "I never knew you" in relation to workers of iniquity....

i.e. Jesus confirms that He NEVER knew these people ......and they therefore NEVER were saved!!!:cool:
    wrote:
    Run_to_da_hills
    Any one who believes in the lie of OSAS believes they have a full amnesty from future sin and backlsliding.
    We both appear to believe that the Saved should continue to avoid sin......(because it hastens physical death and out of love and respect for God. in my case)......and in your case for these reasons, as well as avoiding perdition).......so there isn't much 'licence' to sin or backslide in either of our positions!!!!

wrote:
    Run_to_da_hills
    I have backslidden several time since my convert back in January of 1986. I went for almost 10 years without entering a Church or opening a Bible(Except a Catholic Church for weddings and funerals) . Certain circumstances have got me to turn back to god including an almost fatal car accident in 1996, However I believe those that were once enlightened or "Saved" and are living in sin and do not answer gods whispers to repent and are living a double life are back on the wide road and are only fooling themselves by playing the church game. God detests double mindedness. "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways" James 1vs8. also "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth".Revelation 3vs 16
    .....sounds like your life has been a bit of a 'roller coaster'.......
    .......you say that you didn't fellowship with Christians for the first 10 years after you were 'converted'........so are you SURE that you have been saved???

wrote:

Run_to_da_hills
    There you go again, Quoting your little bit of scripture without the body of the text included.

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame. Note: The word for enlightened also means imbued (permeated) with saving knowledge. The word for tasted also means partook of, enjoyed, experienced. So that proves these people were real born-again Christians. The word for if here does NOT mean if. It means and, also, even, indeed, but. The NASB has the correct translation here: and then have fallen away The if is not justifiable. It makes it look like if you ever fall away then you can never get back. That is not true. and then have fallen away means that they are and still in the fallen away state. The Greek word for fall away means to deviate from the right path, turn aside, wander, to error, to fall away from the true faith. But one can get out of the fallen away state by no longer being deviated from the right path, and no longer not having faith, by turning back to God. Then God's goodness leads them to repentance (Romams 2:4).

.....so WHAT are you saying????

The question that you were asked is DOES the word 'impossible' ........which I have highlighted in your posting above indicate that it is impossible for a Saved Christian who 'falls away' to be renewed again to repentance?
    ......or is this verse referring to people who were enlightened by the Holy Spirit and the Word of God to the FULL reality of Salvation......but who 'fell away' before they were saved and REFUSED salvation (in full knowledge of what they were rejecting)???

......this passage of Scripture CLEARLY confirms the terrible reality that there ARE some people for whom it is 'impossible' to renew again to repenntance!!!!

.......so WHO are these people????

......are they Saved Christians who have repudiated their salvation......or are they unsaved people who have refused salvation(in full knowledge of what they were rejecting)?

Not sure.
    ...sounds like your life has been a bit of a 'roller coaster'.......
    .......you say that you didn't fellowship with Christians for the first 10 years after you were 'converted'........so are you SURE that you have been saved???
    Yes I know the date and time of my conversion, I have backslid a few times I.E. got drunk, took extacy pills and dope, neglected Bible study and church and admitt all this and repented of them. Unlike those holier than thou type that cannot admit that they have any flaws in their life. It is these type of OSAS hypocrits that I cannot stand in a church, they look down on those that have fallen and threat them as if they have never been saved.

wrote:
    Run to da hills
    Yes I know the date and time of my conversion, I have backslid a few times I.E. got drunk, took extacy pills and dope, neglected Bible study and church and admit all this and repented of them.

I have to say to you that these are not the ‘fruits’ one would expect in a newly Saved Christian.

While we remain capable of sin after we are Saved, the sinful dimension to our lives tends to be brought under control after we are Saved and our spiritual ‘fruits’ tend to be of God and for God.

Why do you call your enlightenment experience in 1986 your ‘conversion’?
    ……were you ‘converted’ from one religion to another religion in 1986…….or were you ‘Saved in Jesus Christ’ then???

wrote:
    Run to da hills
    Any one who believes in the lie of OSAS believes they have a full amnesty from future sin and backlsliding……….

...... those holier than thou type that cannot admit that they have any flaws in their life. It is these type of OSAS hypocrits that I cannot stand in a church, they look down on those that have fallen and threat them as if they have never been saved.

…….so WHICH is it…….
    ……are OSAS people openly sinning and backsliding with impunity …….. because they believe that the have a full amnesty from future sin……
    ……….or are they hypocrites proclaiming themselves to be sinless…..while leading inwardly sinful lives?????

I can confirm that they are NEITHER……
    …… Saved Christians try to avoid sin and backsliding......because it hastens physical death and out of love and respect for the God who saved them.
    They are ALSO acutely aware that they are sinners undeserving of God’s mercy….who have been saved through NO MERIT of their own…….

......so there is no room for smugness or being ‘holier than thou’ for any Saved sinner .

wrote:
    Run to da hills
    It is these type of OSAS hypocrits that I cannot stand in a church, they look down on those that have fallen and threat them as if they have never been saved.

IF they deny that they are sinners….then they ARE hypocrites.

The saved should have sympathy and compassion for the unsaved……and they should help them onto the 'narrow path' that leads to Salvation.

Not sure.
    I have to say to you that these are not the ‘fruits’ one would expect in a newly Saved Christian..
    No they are not and they are no different to any professed Christian telling a lie or looking at a woman with adultary in his heart.It was the process of backsliding that got me back to the way I would have been before I was saved, Ie Dog returning to his Vomit, something OSAS people totally dismiss like other many other important scriptures. Peter Denied Christ three times, is that something of the spirit? (According to OSAS Peter was probably never saved)

Why do you call your enlightenment experience in 1986 your ‘conversion’?
    ……were you ‘converted’ from one religion to another religion in 1986…….or were you ‘Saved in Jesus Christ’ then???.
    I call it an enlightment because I came to know the truth at that moment. I found out the truth that you are saved only by accepting and following Christ through the scriptures and not by any means of unconditional salvation.

Any one who believes in the lie of OSAS believes they have a full amnesty from future sin and backlsliding. I have backslidden several time since my convert back in January of 1986. I went for almost 10 years without entering a Church or opening a Bible(Except a Catholic Church for weddings and funerals) . Certain circumstances have got me to turn back to god including an almost fatal car accident in 1996, However I believe those that were once enlightened or "Saved" and are living in sin and do not answer gods whispers to repent and are living a double life are back on the wide road and are only fooling themselves by playing the church game. God detests double mindedness. "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways" James 1vs8. also "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth".Revelation 3vs 16
    It is infact the American 'fundamentalist' Baptist movement that I hold responsible for dwelling on Calvinst Docterine of "perseverence of the saints" the likes of Billy Graham and others leading millions into believe in this dirty lie of the Devil.

There you go again, Quoting your little bit of scripture without the body of the text included. .

This Scripture clearly indicates that a person may become a partaker of the Holy Spirit, obviously a true born-again Christian, and yet fall away and be lost.
    Dear Brother

You have a real problem - either you abandon the English language and make NEVER to mean USED TO, BUT NO LONGER DO; and IMPOSSIBLE to mean SOMETIMES POSSIBLE - or you abandon your Christians can fall away and be lost, or fall away and be restored theology. You can't have both.

I encourage you to keep good English and gain good theology. :):):)

Run_to_da_hills said:
    BTW, just to point out that American fundamentalists generally hate Calvinism. Two friends of mine were expelled from Bob Jones University many years ago for coming to Calvinist beliefs.

Not sure.
    Run_to_da_hills said:

BTW, just to point out that American fundamentalists generally hate Calvinism. Two friends of mine were expelled from Bob Jones University many years ago for coming to Calvinist beliefs.
    That’s kind of strange because most of these same Churches that would reject Calvanism would still holds on to one of their five points i.e. "Preservation of the Saints".

Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church also holds to it. :)http://www.westborobaptistchurch.com/cgi-bin/perlfect/searchwbc/search.pl?q=tulip&showurl=%2Fwritten%2Fwbcinfo%2Ftulip.html

That’s kind of strange because most of these same Churches that would reject Calvanism would still holds on to one of their five points i.e. "Preservation of the Saints".

Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church also holds to it. :)http://www.westborobaptistchurch.com/cgi-bin/perlfect/searchwbc/search.pl?q=tulip&showurl=%2Fwritten%2Fwbcinfo%2Ftulip.html
    You are utterly mistaken about them holding on to the Preservation of the Saints. They hold to the error that a Christian can live anyway he pleases and still go to heaven. Calvinism teaches that the Christian will overcome in his war with sin - when he falls, he rises again/when he sins, he repents. The only exception is when God disciplines him by death, so that he is taken out of his sin before he has time to repent. In both cases he is preserved by God from sin and its wages.

As to Phelps, he is just a nutter, by all appearances. He has latched on to Calvinism as a system to cover his theological requirements, but he has invented his own empire. I would say he is to Calvinism what the Pope is to Trinitarianism.

• Advertisement

Not sure.
    They hold to the error that a Christian can live anyway he pleases and still go to heaven.
    This is exactly what OSAS believes in, I certainly don't believe in this. I believe that a born-again Christian will be more scrutinized by his lifestyle than the unsaved and will suffer a greater loss than the unsaved should they not take up their calling.

Fred Phelps is just an OSAS nutter gone to extreems. :)

This is exactly what OSAS believes in, I certainly don't believe in this. I believe that a born-again Christian will be more scrutinized by his lifestyle than the unsaved and will suffer a greater loss than the unsaved should they not take up their calling.

Fred Phelps is just an OSAS nutter gone to extreems. :)
    I'm glad you now see the OSAS of Fundamentalism is NOT Calvinism.

Just found this site that helpfully discusses the OSAS error, and shows the historic Reformed view:
    http://fundyreformed.wordpress.com/2007/08/27/man-centered-christianity-part-4/

Just found this site that helpfully discusses the OSAS error, and shows the historic Reformed view:
    http://fundyreformed.wordpress.com/2007/08/27/man-centered-christianity-part-4/

The following quote from the above link caught my eye:
    “I suddenly saw that someone could use all the language of evangelical Christianity, and yet the center was fundamentally the self, my need of salvation. And God is auxiliary to that….I also saw that quite a lot of evangelical Christianity can easily slip, can become centered in me and my need of salvation, and not in the glory of God.” — quoted in Tim Stafford, “God’s Missionary to Us”, Christianity Today, Dec. 9, 1996.

YES we DO have a need for salvation........and NO it is NOT selfish for us to cry out in faith to God to save us......in fact it is a requirement of our Salvation that we do so!!!!!

The glorious omnipotence of God is obvious and a given......and everyone who HUMBLES themselves to repent of their self-centred sinful natures, to believe on Jesus Christ WILL be Saved......and by this humbling of themselves they place God at the centre of their lives......and NOT as an auxillary to anything!!!!

Our receipt of Salvation actually TOTALLY DEPENDS on the Glorious Omnipotence of God......and our belief and acknowledgement thereof!!!

I also read the following link on OSAS from the link that was provided above....
    http://fundyreformed.wordpress.com/2006/02/11/once-saved-always-saved/

.....and I came across the following statement!!!!
    "Can a Christian fall away? Yes. Can someone who is truly regenerate, elect of God, an eternal Christian, fall away? No, clearly not."

......so there are apparently 'Temporary Christians' and there are 'Eternal Christians'.........

.........anyway Jesus Christ saves ALL who repent and believe on Him .............

.........and the Saved show the fruits of their Salvation in the lives that they lead.......

........they are still sinners in sinful bodies.........and they may fall a thousand times......and repent a thousand times......and they will be forgiven a thousand times.........by a loving and just God who died that everybody who believes on Him might be saved.

We are saved by GRACE and NOT by WORKS.........but being Saved does NOT licence us to sin........we will suffer the full temporal consequences if we do so.......

No man can judge the saved state of any other person......this is strictly a matter between each person and God.

......and could I also remind everyone that although the Local Church can judge (and sanction) openly sinful behaviour amongst it's members......
    ......Churches are obviously completely powerless to detect .....and therefore to judge (or sanction) the secret sins of their members ......sins which are an equal abomination to God !!!!:)

.......and the ONLY differences between the Saved and the Unsaved is that the Saved are indwelt by the Holy Spirit.....and they are SAVED from Eternal Perdition!!!!

BOTH the Saved and the Unsaved are sinners fully deserving of Hell.......and they BOTH may love and care for their fellow man.....and lead outwardly righteous lives. The ONLY difference between them is that the Saved have asked in faith .....and received in reality, the power of God in their lives here on Earth and the salvation of God in the next life.
    ......and the Saved lead much more righteous lives and have much greater spiritual and theological discernment as a result!!!!

JC said:
    .....and I came across the following statement!!!!
    "Can a Christian fall away? Yes. Can someone who is truly regenerate, elect of God, an eternal Christian, fall away? No, clearly not."

......so there are apparently 'Temporary Christians' and there are 'Eternal Christians'.........
    No, my brother, you have misunderstood him - albeit he is at fault for not making himself clearer on the spot. He does clarify himself later in the article:
    In other words, we should not conclude like some Arminians that all professing believers who fall away have in fact lost their salvation. Rather we should conclude that they were only professing but not possessing faith.

By Can a Christian fall away?, he means Can a PROFESSING Christian fall away? His point being that even one who speaks about a conversion experience, about being baptised, being a faithful church member for years, a pastor or evangelist even - they may only have rejoiced in the good news temporarily, but the root of the matter was never in them.

JC said:

No, my brother, you have misunderstood him - albeit he is at fault for not making himself clearer on the spot. He does clarify himself later in the article:
    In other words, we should not conclude like some Arminians that all professing believers who fall away have in fact lost their salvation. Rather we should conclude that they were only professing but not possessing faith.

By Can a Christian fall away?, he means Can a PROFESSING Christian fall away? His point being that even one who speaks about a conversion experience, about being baptised, being a faithful church member for years, a pastor or evangelist even - they may only have rejoiced in the good news temporarily, but the root of the matter was never in them.

Hadn't seen this clarification.......it makes sense now with this distinction between a Professing (or Nominal Christian) and a Possessing (or Saved Christian).

Thanks for highlighting this very important clarification and distinction, Wolfsbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Breadsons

Not sure.
    Once Saved always saved is a doctrine of the Devil.

My own testimony: I was born again in 1986...backslid badly for thirty years, my mind was given over to reprobate, my life fell apart, I committed the most vilest of sins. Jesus forgave me when I turned to him. I believe I would have been damned to Hellfire had I died in my sins.

"For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning". 2 Peter 2:20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Breadsons wrote: »
    Once Saved always saved is a doctrine of the Devil.

My own testimony: I was born again in 1986...backslid badly for thirty years, my mind was given over to reprobate, my life fell apart, I committed the most vilest of sins. Jesus forgave me when I turned to him. I believe I would have been damned to Hellfire had I died in my sins.

"For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning". 2 Peter 2:20

Given a Christian sins every day, won't they always die on their sins ( let's suppose they unexpectedly get hit by a bus and don't get a chance to turn to the Lord for forgiveness for that mornings sin).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Breadsons

Not sure.
    Given a Christian sins every day, won't they always die on their sins ( let's suppose they unexpectedly get hit by a bus and don't get a chance to turn to the Lord for forgiveness for that mornings sin).
    I think its a matter of nipping it in the bud and keeping a close relationship with God. You should know in your conscience if you step out of line.

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed

Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

God will also not let you be tempted beyond your ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Breadsons wrote: »
    I think its a matter of nipping it in the bud and keeping a close relationship with God. You should know in your conscience if you step out of line.

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed

Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

God will also not let you be tempted beyond your ability.

Yes I know. But that doesn't deal with the problem outlined.

I take it that you're not proposing a Christian can avoid possessing a multitude of unreported - to - Lord sins obvious and not so obvious. What about the sin we have a hard time identifying as sin? Stuff that's personality led, embedded? The stuff that sanctification is supposed to help us bring front and centre then overcome?

Not tempted beyond that which we can bear doesn't mean we'll bear up to that limit. We can wade into sin earlier than that

Advertisement