Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Process for finding birth parents???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Hi mimo

First of all, you don't need your adoptive parents assistance (or approval!) to do this. See the trace guides in the stickys at the top of the homepage for info on that. However, if you really just have your dob, you can contact the adoption authority of Ireland on 01-2309300 and they can put you on their contact register and also refer you to whoever holds the records of the adoption who can give you info that will be of assistance if you decide to trace yourself and/or do the trace for you though you should note that most adoption services are hugely overstretched and you may be looking at a three year wait!!.

Finally, the Barnardos Post Adoption Service in Dublin (and, I think, some of the local HSE adoption services?) do a pre tracing course which I've heard good things about?.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Rins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Hi mimo,
    Firstly you should register your details on the National Adoption Contact Preference Register. If you google it you will get the form. Fill out your details and then in the space for other information put your adoptive parents names and address at the time they adopted you. Maybe put your fathers occupation at that time - any info that the register may be able to match you with your birth mothers file. Dh doesn't have any info on his bm but supposing she had also registered they would be able to match using dob and address etc. Send the form off by registered post. This is as far as Dh has gone. He will next send a letter to the adoption agency he was adopted through asking for non identifying information about his bm. Who knows what that will throw up but maybe with the help of google he can take it from there. You can also get your own birth certificate which will give your bm name. Check out the tracing hand book available on adoption alliance website or via the links on this forum. It will mean a trip to the search room (in Dublin I think) but might be worth a try. I bet if you tell your parents that you are starting this journey now regardless of their help, they will pass on any info they have. It's a shame they haven't been more forthcoming with what they have. It would be handy to know the name of the adoption agency but it's not necessary, as if you write to the Adoption Authority they will figure that out for you and pass on your details to the relevant agency. Best of luck with your search. You are entitled to know your natural family history, if only for the sake of getting medical info for you and your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 schoolmouse

All of the records for Bessboro are now held by the HSE at Sarsfield Coutr, Glanmire Co Cork. I hope this will be of use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Terri Kiernan

Hi Schhoolhouse
    Can you tell me if I were to request my records would they give me a copy of them? I got my son,s adoption cert 8 years ago and I found them very helpful in there I narrowed my search to 3 boys born 15/10/1973 my son does not want to know anything about me and I live in the hope he might change his mind. My biggest problem is all the lies that went on back then and I do not know exactly what my son was told or what they told his adoptive parents. I would really like to see what is written about us both on record. I also would like very much to see if it is on record when I went back to collect my son (3mths old) before signing anything they threatened me with the high courts I was 18 and did not know my legal rights. I know this will not change anything but it would help me should I die and my son has a change of heart he will know for sure I never ever wanted to give him up, any help on this would be greatly appreciated fair play to you all, I just wish my son could read some of your treads, I wish ....
    many thanks
    Terri

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MartinJohn

HI mimo 79

I was same born and adopted 79 in cork. I contacted the HSE in Sarsfield Court and found them very helpful. I was advised to write to Dept of Consumer Affairs, HSE South, Wilton Road, Cork and request for any information that they had on you. You'll need to provide photo id with your request. I recieved back a summary of non identifing info and also copy of alot of my file. It can take up to 4 weeks for a response to come back.

Hope this helps
    Martin John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 gravity9.81

Hi all in hope to get some help tracing or information on a baby had by a close relative who is still alive and in her 80s she cant remember dates
    We belive its sometime in the 60s going from what my mother remembers however my mother was a child her self so cant be sure,
    Its a very sensitive story in the family due to the circumstances around it and may shock most.
    The baby may have died at birth but we don't know.
    Can anyone help with what information i need or can just even be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

The poor woman gravity. Have ye been in touch with the Adoption Authority of Ireland yet? I think if you contact them and give her name, her age and her address back in the 60's they might be able to figure out when she had her baby. A friend of mine said her mum thought her baby was born 2 years before she actually was - she was that traumatised by the whole experience her mum just couldn't remember the year! But the AAI were able to tell her when her baby was born. So if the baby in question lived and was legally adopted, they may be able to confirm it. Other than that I think you would have to go to the GRO and look through the register of births for babies born, with the surname of baby and mother's maiden name being the same (ie that of the 80 year old woman). However this could throw up a lot of possibilities unless her surname is uncommon. It's a tough one to find when the year is unknown. I hope someone has better suggestions for you.

Advertisement