Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britian - the Worst Drug Dealer in history

Options
  • 27-09-2007 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Came across this website about the The Opium War while reading Chinese history ( the british refer to it politely as the Anglo-Chinese War, ofcourse they would, wouldn't they....:mad: ). As the website says " In European history, it is perhaps the most sordid, base, and vicious event in European history, possibly, just possibly, overshadowed by the excesses of the Third Reich in the twentieth century. ..... By the 1830's, the English had become the major drug-trafficking criminal organization in the world; very few drug cartels of the twentieth century can even touch the England of the early nineteenth century in sheer size of criminality. "

http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/CHING/OPIUM.HTM

Worth a read. When it comes to depravity, britian makes the Columbian drug barons and the Mafia look like mere amateurs :mad: .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

McArmalite in "Exposing Victorian Britain's double Standards" shocker :eek:

why has the author missed out the fact that the US (along with France and Russia) were involved in this as much, if not more, than the British.

Oh yeah, it's written by an American :rolleyes:

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/heroin/opiwar1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

McArmalite in "Exposing Victorian Britain's double Standards" shocker :eek:

why has the author missed out the fact that the US (along with France and Russia) were involved in this as much, if not more, than the British.

Oh yeah, it's written by an American :rolleyes:

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/heroin/opiwar1.htm

Well Fred, I expected a reply from you suggesting something like " britain naively didn't understand the effects of Opium, and genuinely thought it was a benign stress/pain reliever .....bearing the white man's burden etc".

Others countries may have been slightly invovled but the degenerate british state was the primary drug pusher. as the author states - " By the 1830's, the English had become the major drug-trafficking criminal organization in the world ".

But that's the british sense of fairplay for you. I think it was Gandhi who once said " Wherever the English language is spoken, racism is always at it's worst ". Proud of yourselve Fred ?

( BTW - Wherever the English language is spoken, racism is always at it's worst - includes Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

McArmalite wrote:
    I think it was Gandhi who once said " Wherever the English language is spoken, racism is always at it's worst ".

What about the Hindu Caste system.

McArmalite wrote:
    Well Fred, I expected a reply from you suggesting something like " britain naively didn't understand the effects of Opium, and genuinely thought it was a benign stress/pain reliever .....bearing the white man's burden etc".

Others countries may have been slightly invovled but the degenerate british state was the primary drug pusher. as the author states - " By the 1830's, the English had become the major drug-trafficking criminal organization in the world ".

But that's the british sense of fairplay for you. I think it was Gandhi who once said " Wherever the English language is spoken, racism is always at it's worst ". Proud of yourselve Fred ?

( BTW - Wherever the English language is spoken, racism is always at it's worst - includes Ireland)

Not Proud O'Lep, just a realist.

I do find it amusing that a supporter of SF/IRA is critiscising another countries involvement in the drug trade, Then again, if the Columbian Drug baron's weren't the Amateurs you describe them, then there would be a few less well off SF councillors in this country:rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic, the effects of Opium had become known by then and the west had exploited China's love of this drug. America, Russia and France all exported Opium to China along with Britain, what we do not know of course is how many Irishmen were involved in this, because their involvement would have been hidden behind the Union flag.

Still, I expect if there were any Irishmen involved, they would have only been there "Observing The Elections" eh.;)

Mick86 wrote:
    What about the Hindu Caste system.

I don't know anything about the Hindu Caste system, but if you wish to elaborate on another thread by all means do so.

• Advertisement

McArmalite wrote:
    I don't know anything about the Hindu Caste system, but if you wish to elaborate on another thread by all means do so.

great thing this intranet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_caste_system

Not Proud O'Lep, just a realist.

I do find it amusing that a supporter of SF/IRA is critiscising another countries involvement in the drug trade, Then again, if the Columbian Drug baron's weren't the Amateurs you describe them, then there would be a few less well off SF councillors in this country:rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic, the effects of Opium had become known by then and the west had exploited China's love of this drug. America, Russia and France all exported Opium to China along with Britain, what we do not know of course is how many Irishmen were involved in this, because their involvement would have been hidden behind the Union flag.

Still, I expect if there were any Irishmen involved, they would have only been there "Observing The Elections" eh.;)

Well when I orginally posted, I wondered how long a discussion about a british drug pushing in the 18th century would go before the 'baddie' IRA ( 1969 - ) would come in :D

Can you tell me how many "well off SF councillors in this country" have/are convicted of drug pushing ?? Indeed the vast majority of SF councillors and members, and I'm not one of the Gerry is God brigade, that I have known are decent blue collar people form council estates etc. Honestly, whatever else about them. And for that matter, how many 'baddie' IRA ( 1969 - ) volunteers have served their time on the wing of an IRA prison for drugs offences ?

" how many Irishmen were involved in this, because their involvement would have been hidden behind the " butchers apron .
    Yes some men from Ireland were invovled in britain's drug pushing, but a person who joins the forces of occupation - britian - becomes a citizen of the occupying force and obviously shares its value system, like someone in Vichy France who assisted the Nazi's.

Drug pushing, genocide, ethnic cleansing, rascism, slavery, posionous gas against civilians, concentration camps etc are the values of the british state. I would like to know where in the writings of Irish nationalism, Connolly, Wolfe Tone, etc is there an ambition indicated to drop to the terrorist practices and ambitions of britain against other nations ?? And surely you must agree, that britain makes the Columbian drug barons look like a hippy selling a bit of grass in Temple Bar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't feed the troll!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The question should be why did they ban weed, but not drink?

=-=
    By the 1830's, the English had become the major drug-trafficking criminal organization in the world
    By the 1830's, the English had become the major trafficker of pretty f**king everything.

McArmalite wrote:
    Well when I orginally posted, I wondered how long a discussion about a british drug pushing in the 18th century would go before the 'baddie' IRA ( 1969 - ) would come in :D
    then why did you start the thread inthe first place
    McArmalite wrote:
    Can you tell me how many "well off SF councillors in this country" have/are convicted of drug pushing ?? Indeed the vast majority of SF councillors and members, and I'm not one of the Gerry is God brigade, that I have known are decent blue collar people form council estates etc. Honestly, whatever else about them. And for that matter, how many 'baddie' IRA ( 1969 - ) volunteers have served their time on the wing of an IRA prison for drugs offences ?
    ok, so the IRA don;t get involved in drug dealing. Wow, you must be the onl person on this island who believes that
    McArmalite wrote:
    " how many Irishmen were involved in this, because their involvement would have been hidden behind the " butchers apron .
    Yes some men from Ireland were invovled in britain's drug pushing, but a person who joins the forces of occupation - britian - becomes a citizen of the occupying force and obviously shares its value system, like someone in Vichy France who assisted the Nazi's.
    how very convenient for you.
    McArmalite wrote:
    Drug pushing, genocide, ethnic cleansing, rascism, slavery, posionous gas against civilians, concentration camps etc are the values of the british state. I would like to know where in the writings of Irish nationalism, Connolly, Wolfe Tone, etc is there an ambition indicated to drop to the terrorist practices and ambitions of britain against other nations ?? And surely you must agree, that britain makes the Columbian drug barons look like a hippy selling a bit of grass in Temple Bar ?

They are not the values of the Britsh state, they are things the British state has been accused of carrying out over the past 500 years, but none of these things have happened in my life time or the life time of my parents ( or in the case of Genocide, Poison gas on innocents ethnic cleansing and to an extent rascism carried out at all), so why are you pointing the finger at me as if I carried them out??

You really need to sort out that chip on your shoulder, it must be getting quite heavy.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Don't feed the troll!

Mike.

but I enjoy it, it's kind of like poking a stick in an ants nest, just slightly less taxing on the brain :D

McArmalite wrote:

Since you introduced racism into the thread we might as well continue. Ghandi was a Hindu, a religion which practices the caste system where people are divided into classes according to their station in life. The lowest caste were literally untouchable. While Ghandi deplored the system, I don't think that anybody from such a society has any business lecturing the English about racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 wildwords

then why did you start the thread inthe first place

ok, so the IRA don;t get involved in drug dealing. Wow, you must be the onl person on this island who believes that

how very convenient for you.

They are not the values of the Britsh state, they are things the British state has been accused of carrying out over the past 500 years, but none of these things have happened in my life time or the life time of my parents ( or in the case of Genocide, Poison gas on innocents ethnic cleansing and to an extent rascism carried out at all), so why are you pointing the finger at me as if I carried them out??

You really need to sort out that chip on your shoulder, it must be getting quite heavy.

unbeliveable!
    I would say 'check your history mate' because I know your limited educational system doesnt actualy cover anything that Britan did to gain its current wealth. Selective memory I think its called. so maybe check someones elses history!

How much mustard gas was dumped off the coast of Malin head Co. Donegal after the first world war??

I seem to remember a famous sign in hyde park which read - no dogs or Irish-
    seen In place in 1930's by relations of mine - well within your grandparents time I would imagine.

In 1844 the debate in Parliment at Westminister During the month of October was about deliberate ethnic cleansing on a neighbouring Island, called Ireland.

Boar war - Britan invented the concentration camp

maybe its time you got your washboard and tryed rowing onto another Island as your attitude is predictably ignorant and just like all the brits running from thier self designed sinking ship that is Britan. I see them everywhere in hiding places like RTE, Leitrim and Cavan. you wont find your version of soical order and the good old freindly ways in these places?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

wildwords wrote:
    unbeliveable!
    I would say 'check your history mate' because I know your limited educational system doesnt actualy cover anything that Britan did to gain its current wealth. Selective memory I think its called. so maybe check someones elses history!

How much mustard gas was dumped off the coast of Malin head Co. Donegal after the first world war??

seen In place in 1930's by relations of mine - well within your grandparents time I would imagine.

In 1844 the debate in Parliment at Westminister During the month of October was about deliberate ethnic cleansing on a neighbouring Island, called Ireland.

maybe its time you got your washboard and tryed rowing onto another Island as your attitude is predictably ignorant and just like all the brits running from thier self designed sinking ship that is Britan. I see them everywhere in hiding places like RTE, Leitrim and Cavan. you wont find your version of soical order and the good old freindly ways in these places?

Would the wash-board be for sitting on, or would it be used as a paddle? Either way, I think that you'll be stuck with Fred, as I would imagine that he wouldn't find this a suitable means of maritime transportation.:D

Where's the evidence pal, EVIDENCE. Accusation and black propaganda is one thing, actual proof is another. Still I cannot resist putting another nail in the coffin of the 'great' and 'glorious' history of britian - the worst drug pusher in history ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Mick86 wrote:
    Since you introduced racism into the thread we might as well continue. Ghandi was a Hindu, a religion which practices the caste system where people are divided into classes according to their station in life. The lowest caste were literally untouchable. While Ghandi deplored the system, I don't think that anybody from such a society has any business lecturing the English about racism.

What an ignorant post. I am actually staggered by it. Given Ghandi's actions against rascism in South Africa it is also extremely ironic. I mean Ghandi was from a society that had the caste system so we can't accept his comments? Mick you (and I in case you hadn't guessed) are from a rough dirty little town which is famous for being a crime ridden dump. By your own logic it means that you can't criticize say the IRA for criminality regardless of whether you are personally law abiding or not. Its crazy nonsense and i would have expected more from you. That anyone tries to back you up is laughable. If you can't criticise the argument on its merits then don't bother or if you have a burning desire to debate the Indian Caste system (which isn't as cut and dried as you think by the way and way actually made worse under British rule*.... though I am loate to admit that nugget because it will have me sounding like the dude who started this nonsense thread) then have the guts to put it out there and start a thread on it. Hopefully the mod's will have the sense to lock this thread becasue i suspect nothing of value will emerge except some more boring finger pointing.

* India was ruled my the muslim moghuls prior to the British conquests. They had no particular love of the caste system which was hindu. Caste ivisions under the moghuls were far more flexable and less dominating socially than they were to become. The europeans who came a long way in small numbers to rule a vast multitude of indians used it as a tool to help then divide and rule. Same as the French in Indo-china, the Belgians in Rwanda and the Dutch in the east indies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

McArm you're the biggest **** stirrer on boards. :D

Well any post that highlights the hyprocrisy of Perfidious Albion gets the thumbs up from me. Keep up the good work of educating the Shoneens. ;)

What an ignorant post. I am actually staggered by it.....

And so on and so forth.
    Therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgment. For in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.

Romans 2:1

McArm you're the biggest **** stirrer on boards. :D

Well any post that highlights the hyprocrisy of Perfidious Albion gets the thumbs up from me. Keep up the good work of educating the Shoneens. ;)

Go raibh maith agat a chara.....as you say anything that " highlights the hypocrisy of Perfidious Albion" and stirs up the English unionist and the few Shoneens on the board :)

Mick you (and I in case you hadn't guessed) are from a rough dirty little town which is famous for being a crime ridden dump. By your own logic it means that you can't criticize say the IRA for criminality regardless of whether you are personally law abiding or not.

Of course I can. What I cannot do is criticise Limerick (for example) as a crime ridden dump when I come froma crime ridden dump.
    if you have a burning desire to debate the Indian Caste system

I can't say that I do. I thought (and still think) that Ghandi's statement, was on the face of it, bollocks.

• Advertisement

Therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgment. For in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.

Your statement would make sense if Ghandi was ambivalant about the caste system. He clearly wasn't which is why your attack is baffling. I realise you probably know very little about the guy but no worries, it was a long film and I'm sure lots of people strugle to watch it all.

Found the below quote in Wikipedia by the way so you don't have to take my word on it regarding the solidification of the caste system under the British. This makes your comment even more ironic I have to say.

"Some scholars point that the hierarchy of the castes was more fluid, prior to the arrival of the British. The Brahmins were placed at the top of the hierarchy and the untouchables (Dalits) were placed at the bottom. However, the relative ranking of other castes differed from one place to another.[23] The castes did not constitute a rigid description of the occupation or the social status of a group. Since the British society was divided by class, the British attempted to equate the Indian caste system to the class system."

Read the whole thing and you might learn something. For a start the caste system was based on occupation and social standing rather than race. Also says that Gandhi spoke of against the caste system and the plight of the untouchables but that his efforts were not always helpful. Still he actually attempted to reform this aspect of Indian society which was made a lot worse by European interference. As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_caste_system

The " great thing this intranet " ??

An intranet is a private computer network that uses Internet protocols, network connectivity to securely share part of an organization's information or operations with its employees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intranet

The Internet is a worldwide, publicly accessible series of interconnected computer networks that transmit data by packet switching using the standard Internet Protocol (IP). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

BTW as Shutuplaura posts - " The castes did not constitute a rigid description of the occupation or the social status of a group. Since the British society was divided by class, the British attempted to equate the Indian caste system to the class system "

Ah yes, the cancer of human society, britian, distorts and destroys yet again.

wildwords wrote:
    unbeliveable!

Wow, and you call me ignorant.:rolleyes:

McArmalite wrote:
    The " great thing this intranet " ??

An intranet is a private computer network that uses Internet protocols, network connectivity to securely share part of an organization's information or operations with its employees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intranet

The Internet is a worldwide, publicly accessible series of interconnected computer networks that transmit data by packet switching using the standard Internet Protocol (IP). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

BTW as Shutuplaura posts - " The castes did not constitute a rigid description of the occupation or the social status of a group. Since the British society was divided by class, the British attempted to equate the Indian caste system to the class system "

Ah yes, the cancer of human society, britian, distorts and destroys yet again.

Pathetic.

Slate another country to make your own pathetic existance seem better. Why not concentrate on the mess your own country is in rather than come up with sensationalist comments about another.

I thought you were better than that. That just portrays you as a bigot an your posts tend to show otherwise.

Your statement would make sense if Ghandi was ambivalant about the caste system. He clearly wasn't which is why your attack is baffling.

Firstly I didn't attack Ghandi, I merely pointed out that someone coming from an institutionally bigotted society, as Ghandi did, has a bit of cheek casting stones at others . Secondly I pointed out that Ghandi actually deplored the caste system. That fact is actually irrelevant, Ghandi made a statement that all English speaking (not just English) people are racist. In itself that statement is inherently racist. It doesn't stand up when you consider such English speaking non-racists as William Wilberforce, Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King. Not to mention the plethora of non-Anglophone racists. The Spanish and Portuguese for example. The Belgians in the Congo, the Germans anywhere. Ghandi may have been a great man but that didn't make him infallible.

The workings of the caste system and whether or not the English made it worse or not have no bearing on the argument either. All that matters is the system existed and probably still does in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CHICO FUENTES

I've been reading these threads from afar for a while now and feel the urge to ask a pertinant question. McArmalite have you ever lived outside of Ireland? Being a Corkman brought up on stories of old and having been indoctrinated in anti English teachings at School, just like yourself, I find some of your posts a bit passe. Give it up fella. No one wants this type of aggro anymore, people are quite happy to get along in the Eurozone now. I have lived in England now for 4 years and I love it over here. Yes it's social problems are a worry, but Ireland's are just as bad. Whenever I come home all I see is a nation of materialistic morons who would gladly trade another county for an increase in their bank balance. Ireland aint what it used to be. England is a nation with problems but i'd take it over today's Ireland anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

and having been indoctrinated in anti English teachings at School, just like yourself, I find some of your posts a bit passe. Give it up fella. No one wants this type of aggro anymore

Jeez, I dont know what kind of school ye went too, I was thought 'history' and it was just that, nothing 'anti' about it. Anyway CHICO, I wouldnt mind him, he specialises in raking up old graves, stirring sh1t and highlighting the injustices of generations long gone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lads, lets keep it civil. Stop calling people trolls etc, if they are, just report them, I'll deal with it. Just try stay on topic.

Advertisement