Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your view's in the death penalty for..

Options
  • 26-09-2007 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

The killers of our uniformed services, ie Garda's, soldiers, prison officers and paramedics (including fire fighters)?.

In light of yesterdays shooting of the garda in Dublin and the debate as to arming the police or not.

I'm including members of the Defence Forces, Prison officers & paramedics since they're all aids to the civil powers (garda).

Lets try stick with these services.

My views, as a serving member of the defence forces is ... ... I'm against the death penalty, period.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The state has no more right to murder people than these scumbags do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'd say if anything it's worse to kill a civilian. Gardai being killed is more worrying in terms of law and order, but not more deserving of the death penalty, which I'm against.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Since Oglaigh na h-Eireann disbanded the only threat to the police force is from armed criminals. The courts need to hand out stiffer sentences for those caught in possession of firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Against the death penalty being carried out to a prisoner, but if a scumbag was to bite a bullet while attacking an innocent person or guard/medic etc, then I'm not going to bat an eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Here is my idea:
    ( 1 ) 23.5 hour lockdown. ( serve food through the cell etc )

( 2 ) Life should mean life for a sentence.

( 3 ) No Parole for any reason whatsoever.

( 4 ) Only one visit to prisoner every 6 months no exceptions.

See how the scum like it now.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote:
    Since Oglaigh na h-Eireann disbanded

They havent gone away you know....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

What, so people in the uniformed services are more important than civilians??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Steyr wrote:
    Here is my idea:

Add to that -
    Single cells without tv and no natural light.
    Books only.
    As little interaction with other prisoners as possible.

No to the death penalty.
    Nobody has or should have the right to take the life of another.

petes wrote:
    What so people in the uniformed services are more important than civilians??

Certainely not and i think Mairt has this applied to civvies too but these are people who do extraordinary work that the majority of people never see or even know about, they deserve our respect especially for doing jobs that most of us would never do.

Terry wrote:
    Add to that -
    Single cells without tv and no natural light.
    Books only.
    As little interaction with other prisoners as possible.

No to the death penalty.
    Nobody has or should have the right to take the life of another.

You just did!:)

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote:
    Certainely not and i think Mairt has this applied to civvies too but these are people who do extraordinary work that the majority of people never see or even know about, they deserve our respect especially for doing jobs that most of us would never do.

Thats fine, but I won't put someone on a pedastool just because they choose to do something I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Yeah, I have to say..i think the death penalty sends out the wrong message.

Can the thread title be fixed please? It hurts my brain....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I don't agree with the death penalty at all.
    For example, It's an easy way out for some criminals that are facing years upon years in Prison to suddenly be slipped into death instead of rotting in a cell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im totally against it, like terry said nobody should have the right to take another's life, besides didnt we vote in a refferendum to outlaw the death penalty in any circumstances. wasnt it the same time as the vote to modify articles 2 and 3 of the constitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Against the death penalty, as everyone has the right to life, and it would be appalling if we lived in a country where the government displays little regard for life by taking it - nobody has the authority to take life.
    However, I do think a life sentence should do what it says on the tin, and also make life a little more miserable for inmates depending on the severity of their crime.

Can the thread title be fixed please? It hurts my brain....

In my half drunken idiocy I never even noticed. Thanks for hurting my brain too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

As an aside, but still in reference to part of this discussion, who controls what sentences may be handed out for a particular crime.

i.e. who can change the rules so that life would mean life and not the sometimes 3/4 years it can be nowadays.

does the minister change the sentencing structure or do judges or who?

k.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm with others on this - lock them up in the most basic cell with as few comforts as possible and throw away the key. Re-open the cell when it's time to bury them in 40 or 50 years. State sanctioned murder is no better than murder perpetrated by a criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

How can you justify killing somebody as punishment for killing somebody!!!

• Advertisement

petes wrote:
    In my half drunken idiocy I never even noticed. Thanks for hurting my brain too.
    Yep... forget about the death penalty... That's a harsh sentence up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,251 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Steyr wrote:
    But who is going to prepare that food, clean the prison ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

There is no justification for the death penalty in any circumstances. Tougher jail sentences would be the way to go. The gangland scum in this country can do whatever the fcuk they like, knowing that even if they're convicted of a crime, unless it's something very serious they're likely to get no more than a short jail term. And even some of the sentences for more serious crimes are a bit of a joke. But the death penalty is just state sponsored murder and most modern civilised countries have done away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I'm a long time surfer of boards.ie....but this topic has encouraged me to make my first post, as I have very strong views on the matter. Now.....I am for the death penality, but I stress, only if it is a suitable punishemnt for the crime involved - i.e. a deliberate murder of an innocent person - or any act directly resulting to murder, and some forms of rape. I'm not saying we should hang a gurrier who robs a loaf of bread from Tesco etc.

I actually can't believe every person who has posted in this thread is against the death penality. To say that for the state to kill a murdering scumbag is equal to same murdering scumbag killing an innocent person is so inaccurate its almost insane! These pyscopaths do not derseve to live amongst civilised people. I'll put it another way - we are all born into this world with a right to life, but if some madman took it amongst himself to end the live of some poor unfortunate, then the said madman WAIVERS his right to life, in my opinion. Why should a murderer be entitled to rely on the arguement of the right to life? Where was that scrout's regard for the concept when he committed the crime?

It appears to me from reading some of the comments that a lot of you people have empathy with these monsters. Why should anyone feel the slightest bit of sympathy for these poor excuses for human beings? The only entitlement a murderer (or child abuser) should be given is a fair trial, and if found guilty, to be killed humainly. Its probably still a fairer deal then what their victim got.

Rant Over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Against the death penalty, as everyone has the right to life, and it would be appalling if we lived in a country where the government displays little regard for life by taking it - nobody has the authority to take life.
    However, I do think a life sentence should do what it says on the tin, and also make life a little more miserable for inmates depending on the severity of their crime.

The State is already doing this by:
    little or no enforcement on the roads
    the tax take from alcohol sales
    the drug problem.

The only problem I have with the DP is that innocent people will be executed eg the crooked cops in Donegal etc so not having it at least covers off that risk.
    However if the evidence is clear, eg a drunk driver car wreck: the execution should be before they sober up: just do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

I don't support the death penalty at all.

I don't think prison should exist to make people suffer either per se.

It's like when your dog pisses on the floor and you punish it so it will realise that pissing on the floor = bad things will happen.

The idea of prison sentences should be to stop people from doing the crime again.

Obviously they shouldn't enjoy prison, but the ultimate goal should be for them to emerge from prison eventually as functioning members of society.

IF they cannot be rehabilitated, then yes they should be seperated from the wider public. BUT, I think they should just be allowed to consent to death instead of serving a pointless life sentence. I mean, if we decide that someone can't participate in our society, then christ let's not force them to stay alive for no good reason only for them to suffer.

ircoha wrote:
    the drug problem.

I feel as though i must side with you on this bit as i believe our Gardai,Troops/Sailors/Airmen deserve the best of the best to tackle these issues IE we have 2 Maritime Patrol Aircraft for a huge volume of Ocean that is ours to patrol yet we can not do it even our Navy is small and has a vast area to patrol and even then some of the Types we operate have to be inshore during storms or overnight at a port as they dont have the range/capacity etc its a akin to having one squad car to patrol Ireland, its a disgrace even Gardai cars dont have rolls bars like come on in a high speed chase and something happens then its a state burial.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

ircoha wrote:
    the drug problem.

The only problem I have with the DP is that innocent people will be executed eg the crooked cops in Donegal etc so not having it at least covers off that risk.
    However if the evidence is clear, eg a drunk driver car wreck: the execution should be before they sober up: just do it.

When I was 15 I had clinical depression and was on a heavy dosage of medication which really I was too young to be taking. Anyway so the side effects were pretty bad for me, especially the drowsiness. So one day on the way home from school and I fell asleep while cycling and got slapped off the footpath. I mean I could have been 3 years older and driving a car.

The lesson here is, you don't FúCKING EXECUTE PEOPLE WITHOUT KNOWING THE CIRCUMSTANCES. I mean, I'm against DP full stop but holy christ. How do you know what the driver is going through right now? They could be a schizo or anything and you just want to kill them. I mean you probably support DP for rapists too but the guy diving the car while drunk could have been gang raped that morning. YOU DONT KNOW.

Christ, the idea of actually killing somebody without a trial even. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

I totally understand where you're coming from Muff Daddy, and let me say first - I am not a do-gooder by any means, believe me. I am not politically correct in many of my views.
    On this subject, I have no pity whatsoever for murderers. I simply don't believe anyone has the right to take life, government or otherwise. I would like to see murderers punished to a far greater degree than what they seem to be getting right now let me tell you, but I believe that killing is wrong.
    Another thing that bothers me, is that from time to time, people are wrongly convicted, and obviously, if you execute them before the truth is discovered, then oops, too late! I do not want to live in a country where this is possible, and this is always possible where there is death penalty.

I saw a play in town a while back called The Exonerated which was about real life victims of miscarriages of justice in America, some of whom were exonerated only after they were executed. It's never a good thing for a government to have blood on its hands.

http://www.theexonerated.com/

http://www.innocenceproject.org/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 chucks

Steyr wrote:
    Here is my idea:

Then the scum come out even more messed up in the head than they were before they went in

Advertisement