Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average wedding cost in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    The celtic tiger isn't the real issue here, (sure, it has meant more disposable income for a lot of people, not as much for others, you could go on about that forever (and you probably will)), no, the real issue is you not feeling capable of deciding if you will keep trying to keep up with the Jones's or not.
    Hillarious, you're the one who has to change her dress and buy another expensive one if it's an Irish Wedding. Afraid the Jones will see you in same dress?
    Stop trying to pin your need for this on other people. If you don't agree with spending money on attending weddings, or can't afford to, then don't.
    Ok, well forget about me, pretend I am a computer with no feelings. Try to rise above ad homien arguments and put your points logically.
    By the way, if the wedding was of a really close friend or relative, you'd have known it was coming (and that you'd be invited) probably a year or more in advance. That should be plenty of time to plan the finances and be able to go, if you want to, without the threat of going into debt for it.
    That's not the point. I know there is a 90% probability (approx.) that my friends, relations will get married so I can set up a special bank account to average out the cost of it.
    It doesn't deal with my theisis that Irish people are going way over the top at Weddings.
    Why can't you debat this logically? Forget about me and deal with the general question of are Irish people going over the top.
    In a world of 6 billion people, I think we are and I think it's sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Hillarious, you're the one who has to change her dress and buy another expensive one if it's an Irish Wedding. Afraid the Jones will see you in same dress?

Ok, well forget about me, pretend I am a computer with no feelings. Try to rise above ad homien arguments and put your points logically.

That's not the point. I know there is a 90% probability (approx.) that my friends, relations will get married so I can set up a special bank account to average out the cost of it.
    It doesn't deal with my theisis that Irish people are going way over the top at Weddings.
    Why can't you debat this logically? Forget about me and deal with the general question of are Irish people going over the top.
    In a world of 6 billion people, I think we are and I think it's sick.

I think you'll find that's ad hominem. You started it by calling me shallow etc because I usually buy a new dress when I go to a wedding. Stop trying to be "deep" and intelligent-sounding. It's not working.

It's a fact that you are a begrudger. I agree with you that people are going over the top with Irish weddings but to be honest the blame should be laid at the feet of the couple in most cases, for planning a ridiculously large wedding, and in other cases it should be laid at the feet of people who go just for the sake of it.

Another ad hominem for you; if you'd ever written one you'd know it's a thesis, not theisis.
    You seem incapable of understanding anything as it is written. You simply turn the parts you don't like into something else. If the person was a really good friend you would know well in advance, plan and get excited about going, and not find it such a pain to go and spend money on it.

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    I think you'll find that's ad hominem. You started it by calling me shallow etc because I usually buy a new dress when I go to a wedding. Stop trying to be "deep" and intelligent-sounding. It's not working.

It's a fact that you are a begrudger. I agree with you that people are going over the top with Irish weddings but to be honest the blame should be laid at the feet of the couple in most cases, for planning a ridiculously large wedding, and in other cases it should be laid at the feet of people who go just for the sake of it.

Another ad hominem for you; if you'd ever written one you'd know it's a thesis, not theisis.
    You seem incapable of understanding anything as it is written. You simply turn the parts you don't like into something else. If the person was a really good friend you would know well in advance, plan and get excited about going, and not find it such a pain to go and spend money on it.
    No I asked you if you considered yourself materialistic which you still haven't really answered. You then when to attack me for not wanting to spend money at any friend's wedding regardless of where it was. You are now using generic facile slurs (example = "You simply turn the parts you don't like into something else") and not referencing anything specific I am saying or picking on spelling mistakes which is making it impossible to have a rational discussion.

Perhaps you could answer my original question which I will state more clearly:

With reference to your ideal of buying a new dress of cost 300 for an Irish Wedding which is unlikely to be worn again,
    do you:
    1. consider yourself materialistic and make no apology for it and thus have been defending your right to be materialistic?
    2. not consider yourself materialistic and have been arguing why what you do is not materialistic?

Perhaps if you could answer that specific question, we might have a more mature conversation.

No I asked you if you considered yourself materialistic which you still haven't really answered. You then when to attack me for not wanting to spend money at any friend's wedding regardless of where it was. You are now using generic facile slurs (example = "You simply turn the parts you don't like into something else") and not referencing anything specific I am saying or picking on spelling mistakes which is making it impossible to have a rational discussion.

Perhaps you could answer my original question which I will state more clearly:

With reference to your ideal of buying a new dress of cost 300 for an Irish Wedding which is unlikely to be worn again,
    do you:
    1. consider yourself materialistic and make no apology for it and thus have been defending your right to be materialistic?
    2. not consider yourself materialistic and have been arguing why what you do is not materialistic?

Perhaps if you could answer that specific question, we might have a more mature conversation.

I am not materialistic in any way. You are mis-reading everything. A new outfit could cost 300. An outfit includes a lot more than a dress.

In case anyone else is interested in this, here's Tim's opinions (with mine included);
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055149693
    and
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055149679
    You'll see that actually we both think weddings can go over the top. Tim however, has a rather large chip on his shoulder about being obliged to go to weddings.

• Advertisement

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    I am not materialistic in any way. You are mis-reading everything. A new outfit could cost 300. An outfit includes a lot more than a dress.
    Ok, so you consider yourself not materialistic. Why do you feel the need to defend yourself?
    I am lost.
    Do you think people who care more about Darfur than weddings have a chip on their shoulder even when you agree with me Weddings can go over the top?
    Not the most logical. Perhaps you could clarify your views, do you have any outside silly immature insults you wish to direct at me?

Ok, so you consider yourself not materialistic. Why do you feel the need to defend yourself?
    I am lost.
    Do you think people who care more about Darfur than weddings have a chip on their shoulder even when you agree with me Weddings can go over the top?
    Not the most logical. Perhaps you could clarify your views, do you have any outside silly immature insults you wish to direct at me?
    You seem to be worrying a lot more about weddings than about Darfur lately. Now, go to bed.

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    You seem to be worrying a lot more about weddings than about Darfur lately. Now, go to bed.
    Well if that's an admission of defeat fair enough.

Tim Robbins, you're missing a point here - you don't have to buy into any of the materialism.
    What you would term as going over-the-top is evidence in every facet of life, not just weddings.
    Does anybody need a 40-inch TV? Does anybody need an 07 registered Merc? Does anybody need five bedrooms?
    I choose not to buy into it, you don't have to either.

Well if that's an admission of defeat fair enough.
    No

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

500 - 600
    All right guys calm it down. You both have points but could you try discuss them a bit more civilly.
    dame wrote:
    I hope Tim Robbins is your real name because if people who know you google your name they will see how much you hate weddings and then you'll never be invited to another one - problem solved! :D

I googled Tim Robbins and as I expected I got this guy; http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000209/maindetails. Why would you wish a lifetime of going to weddings alone on poor Susan Sarandon? :D

Haha, I'm sure Susan doesn't worry about the cost when she goes to a wedding (or chooses not to)!

400 - 500
    iguana wrote:
    All right guys calm it down. You both have points but could you try discuss them a bit more civilly.
    Agreed. Perhaps Dame could answer my last question.

Agreed. Perhaps Dame could answer my last question.

What was your last question? You seem to be repeating the same old views over and over.

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    What was your last question? You seem to be repeating the same old views over and over.
    See Post 37:

I am lost.

When you manage to separate Darfur and weddings from materialism in your brain you may be able to see more clearly.

Mods: Timmy boy's a troll.

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    When you manage to separate Darfur and weddings from materialism in your brain you may be able to see more clearly.

Mods: Timmy boy's a troll.
    That makes no sense, it's just another insult. It's you who's trolling you refuse to answer my questions and just insult me. I am trying to debate where the line of materialism is drawn and why it is drawn there?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

500 - 600
    I think this thread is going nowhere, so I'm going to lock it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement