Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average wedding cost in Ireland

Options
  • 26-09-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    How much does it cost you to go to your average Wedding in Ireland?
    Here's my average cost:
    (cost is per person not per couple and it is for weddings you get invited to, not just the afters)

Hotel: 90
    Present: 100
    Spending money: 100 (including taxi's etc)
    I also spend an average of 40 euro's on clothes. I might not need any clothes for one, but then might have to hire a black tie for another. Or I might need a shirt for one, or shoes for another and then nothing for several others.

Average cost per wedding in Ireland is: 330

How much does it cost you on average to go to a Wedding in Ireland? 15 votes

< 100
    0%
    100 - 200
    0%
    200 - 300
    6%
    mikemac 1 vote
    300 - 400
    13%
    sonnersTCollins 2 votes
    400 - 500
    33%
    mickoneill30Tim Robbinsiceman777CrazyNoobHow Strange 5 votes
    500 - 600
    33%
    CathyMoranbill_ashmountiguanaJonnykitedudeDO0GLE 5 votes
    700+
    13%
    Delboy05Scoobydoobydoo 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

400 - 500
    Hotel: €75
    Present: €220 (I was groomsman for this one)
    Spending money: €100 (LOTS of drinking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I think you're being a bit light on the hotel costs there folks. Lots of hotels insist on 2 nights accommodation, or lots of couples are making a full weekend out of the wedding nowadays. I've been to weddings in Ireland where the cost of B&B in the hotel is 180 per person per night! :eek: Of course you can look for a cheaper place down the road but that'll still set you back half that again, plus the cost & hassle of taxis on top.

Accommodation in other countries is almost always better value for money and in an awful lot of cases it's cheaper too. And if you're going to have to pay for 2 nights accommodation wouldn't you prefer to have a bit of a break and get a bit of sight-seeing in as well, rather than staying in some hotel in a place in Ireland that is only an hour or two down the road and you've been to loads of times.

Clothes tend to be more formal and more expensive for women attending weddings in Ireland. You can get away with a nice summer dress (that you'll wear again) when you're going to a wedding abroad.

So lets see;
    Hotel Ireland average: E140 per person per night (eg Galway) (not 5* by any means)
    New outfit for woman guest Ireland: E300
    Spending money for either: E100
    Present for either: E100
    Transport to wedding in Ireland: E30 petrol, E20 taxi = E50
    Total for 2 nights in Ireland: E690

Hotel 5* Eastern Europe: E90 per room per night (yes, that's what we paid earlier this summer :D )
    New outfit for woman guest abroad: E200
    Transport to wedding abroad: E180
    Total for 2 nights Abroad: E760

EDIT:
    Hotel 5* Eastern Europe: E90 per room per night (yes, that's what we paid earlier this summer ) (= E45 pp per night)
    New outfit for woman guest abroad: E200
    Transport to wedding abroad: E180
    Total for 2 nights Abroad: E670
    EDITED BECAUSE CALCULATED WITH 90 PP PER NIGHT, INSTEAD OF 45 PP PER NIGHT, SO NOW IT ACTUALLY COSTS LESS TO GO TO WEDDING ABROAD!!! :D:D

So you're right Tim Robbins, it might cost slightly more to attend a wedding abroad than a wedding in Ireland, but at least you'll be feeling like you've had a bit of a break and you'll be seeing somewhere different rather than sitting down to the typical wedding dinner, followed by typical band, followed by typical dj, with lots of waiting around in between. Also, if you're going to the wedding abroad you're more likely to feel involved ue to the fact that you'll be a relative or very close friend, rather than one of the 200+ rent-a-crowd at a typical Irish wedding. Plus, the weather and surroundings are an awful lot more likely to be warm and stunning (or at least different) and you won't have the standing around shivering outside an Irish church in 10 degress Celsius. Then again, if the slight difference in cost of attending the wedding abroad is that off-putting for you - you can always decline the invitation (like I've pointed out to you before in other threads about weddings abroad).

By the way; your poll does not have an option for 600-700 so I couldn't vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    Hotel Ireland average: E140 per person per night (eg Galway) (not 5* by any means)
    New outfit for woman guest Ireland: E300
    Transport to wedding in Ireland: E30 petrol, E20 taxi = E50
    Total for 2 nights in Ireland: E690
    I can't believe you think every Wedding in Ireland warrants a dress for 300 quid. Would you consider yourself materialistic, or do you have no morgage and just earn loads of money?

If you think 200+ go to average Irish Wedding, and let's say half of them are female. Do you not think 100 females all spending 300 each, which is 30K for a day's material has something completely absurd about it?

How do you reconcile this with what is going in Darfur right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

400 - 500
    Tim Robbins Quote:
    I can't believe you think every Wedding in Ireland warrants a dress for 300 quid. Would you consider yourself materialistic, or do you have no morgage and just earn loads of money?

E300 is realistic if you think that you will be getting a dress, shoes etc. Alot of women (not me) wouldn't dream of wearing the same dress to another wedding. IMO, its their business if thats what they want to spend their money on. We can all judge other people for their spending and rationalise our own.
    If you think 200+ go to average Irish Wedding, and let's say half of them are female. Do you not think 100 females all spending 300 each, which is 30K for a day's material has something completely absurd about it? How do you reconcile this with what is going in Darfur right now?

Tim Robbins that is a daft argument. Do you always eat everything on your plate just because of the starving kids in Africa like your mammy used to tell you?

I am dead against spending that type of money on a wedding HOWEVER for some its their dream. I'm sure you have a dream holiday etc in your mind that would cost a fortune. Would you not do it if you had the chance because there is political unrest and social injustice in another part of the world?

The OP doesn't have to reconcile it with whats happening in Darfur.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

500 - 600
    Gift 250
    Taxis 30
    Spending money 100
    Hotel 130

Thens theres the G/F dress 250 shoes? bag?

And the stag 600 euro

Whats this people only giving 100 euro fof the gift....is that per person???

• Advertisement

400 - 500
    Tim Robbins that is a daft argument. Do you always eat everything on your plate just because of the starving kids in Africa like your mammy used to tell you?

I am dead against spending that type of money on a wedding HOWEVER for some its their dream. I'm sure you have a dream holiday etc in your mind that would cost a fortune. Would you not do it if you had the chance because there is political unrest and social injustice in another part of the world?

The OP doesn't have to reconcile it with whats happening in Darfur.
    Well how much can people spend before it is questioned?
    I think spending 300 euro on clothes you'll probably never wear again is simply ridiculous and shallow, as much as you want to mock concern for real world issues.
    When do you draw the line? 500, 1,000, 2,000?
    Do you think people should remorgage the house to get more clothes they'll never wear again?

Tim Robbins, you seem to be very against spending money to attend anyone's wedding/stag/hen, whether it's in Ireland or abroad. Why not just refuse all invites? Or, you could refuse all invites to weddings that are more than a reasonable taxi-fare distance away? Or next time you could suggest that your partner attends a wedding in her jeans or her workclothes. Would you say that would go down well? :rolleyes:

E300 for an outfit is not outrageous if you consider a dress (typical wedding guest dress in Coast for example would be E150-180), shoes, bag, accessories, a possible hairdo, tights or tan, etc.

By the way, I have worn the same dress to more than one wedding, :eek: but if the weddings involve a lot of the same people, then a different dress is necessary.

I hope Tim Robbins is your real name because if people who know you google your name they will see how much you hate weddings and then you'll never be invited to another one - problem solved! :D

Whats this people only giving 100 euro fof the gift....is that per person???
    Yes

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    Tim Robbins, you seem to be very against spending money to attend anyone's wedding/stag/hen, whether it's in Ireland or abroad. Why not just refuse all invites? Or, you could refuse all invites to weddings that are more than a reasonable taxi-fare distance away? Or next time you could suggest that your partner attends a wedding in her jeans or her workclothes. Would you say that would go down well? :rolleyes:

E300 for an outfit is not outrageous if you consider a dress (typical wedding guest dress in Coast for example would be E150-180), shoes, bag, accessories, a possible hairdo, tights or tan, etc.

By the way, I have worn the same dress to more than one wedding, :eek: but if the weddings involve a lot of the same people, then a different dress is necessary.

I hope Tim Robbins is your real name because if people who know you google your name they will see how much you hate weddings and then you'll never be invited to another one - problem solved! :D
    I question flipping materialism not friendship.
    Materialism erodes friendship, it doesn't develop it.

If you need to spend that much because you are afraid the same people will see you wear the same clothes, if you don't mind me saying I think you are just swimming in shallow end of life. Why not do something really thoughtful for a friend write them a poem or song? Surely that has more intrinsic meaning then you wearing a flashy dress.

Friendship is about the heart not the wallet.

:D Right, so just return your next RSVP card with a rhyme in it that goes something like:

Darfur needs saving,
    And you're all stark raving,
    Such excess and waste,
    It's all such bad taste,
    So, Ta, but no thanks,
    I'm skint, me thinks,
    And I'd rather fork out,
    For some tiles and some grout,
    But good luck with the day,
    Sure you'll need it to pay!

Maybe you can come up with better, I admit it's been a very long time since I last exercised my poetic abilities!

Mind you, a polite refusal would solve all your problems, wouldn't it Tim Robbins? Oh no, wait, then you might be left with the awful feeling that you're missing something....

• Advertisement

400 - 500
    Tim Robbins....I think spending 300 euro on clothes you'll probably never wear again is simply ridiculous and shallow, as much as you want to mock concern for real world issues.
    When do you draw the line? 500, 1,000, 2,000?

Tim Robbins, that is your subjective opinion. If someone else wants to spend €300 on a new outfit then its their money, they can do what they want with it. I'm not mocking world events but what I'm saying is we could apply that principle to everything. Do you have an ipod, car, take a holiday abroad every year?
    I question flipping materialism not friendship.
    Materialism erodes friendship, it doesn't develop it.

I really don't know how you came to that conclusion?
    If you need to spend that much because you are afraid the same people will see you wear the same clothes, if you don't mind me saying I think you are just swimming in shallow end of life. Why not do something really thoughtful for a friend write them a poem or song? Surely that has more intrinsic meaning then you wearing a flashy dress.

You are very judgemental, you must be absolutely miserable when you go to an Irish wedding looking at all those people dressed up in new clothes.

A song instead of a dress? I don't get that at all. Yes, writing a song or a poem for a friend who is getting married would be a lovely gift (as long as you are creative, otherwise it could be painful) but what has that got to do with buying clothes to wear to a wedding.

I went to a wedding recently and bought a dress in Dunnes because I reckon no-one at the wedding would dare to buy anything from there and everyone remarked on how fabulous it was. So, Tim Robbins, I do agree with you to a point and I absolutely agree that spending €30k on a wedding is crazy and I would never spend it myself but its everyone's choice to have a big wedding if they wish. I just don't think you should be so judgemental about the whole thing.

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    :D Right, so just return your next RSVP card with a rhyme in it that goes something like:

Darfur needs saving,
    And you're all stark raving,
    Such excess and waste,
    It's all such bad taste,
    So, Ta, but no thanks,
    I'm skint, me thinks,
    And I'd rather fork out,
    For some tiles and some grout,
    But good luck with the day,
    Sure you'll need it to pay!

Maybe you can come up with better, I admit it's been a very long time since I last exercised my poetic abilities!

Mind you, a polite refusal would solve all your problems, wouldn't it Tim Robbins? Oh no, wait, then you might be left with the awful feeling that you're missing something....
    If you think Darfur is something to joke about, the killing of 500,000 people and displacement of 2 million and you refuse to question your excess material lifestyle, well then yeah we live on different planets.

400 - 500
    Tim Robbins, that is your subjective opinion. If someone else wants to spend €300 on a new outfit then its their money, they can do what they want with it. I'm not mocking world events but what I'm saying is we could apply that principle to everything. Do you have an ipod, car, take a holiday abroad every year?
    Yes I agree it's subjective. Most things are. I am simple questioning opinions.
    No Car. Won my Ipod. Only starting taking a holiday every year recently. Couldn't afford it before that.
    You are very judgemental, you must be absolutely miserable when you go to an Irish wedding looking at all those people dressed up in new clothes.
    I think that's harsh. Maybe I am just a deeper person than the materialism brigade.
    A song instead of a dress? I don't get that at all. Yes, writing a song or a poem for a friend who is getting married would be a lovely gift (as long as you are creative, otherwise it could be painful) but what has that got to do with buying clothes to wear to a wedding.
    It's how we express friendship, through money or thought.
    I went to a wedding recently and bought a dress in Dunnes because I reckon no-one at the wedding would dare to buy anything from there and everyone remarked on how fabulous it was. So, Tim Robbins, I do agree with you to a point and I absolutely agree that spending €30k on a wedding is crazy and I would never spend it myself but its everyone's choice to have a big wedding if they wish. I just don't think you should be so judgemental about the whole thing.
    I got the 30K from the amont of money women spend on dresses. That was best on an average price of 300. I haven't even factored in the other costs.

Basically I hate materialism and care about real world issues. I am not trying to force my opinions on other people, but if people feel uncomfortable having a materialistic lifestyle questioned in an internet forum, well then that says it all.

There's a simple question here how much is too much?
    I have already indicated what I think is too much, do they people who think I am a miserable scab (including yourself) wish to indicate how much they is too much i.e. when should this behaviour be questioned and debated.

If you think Darfur is something to joke about, the killing of 500,000 people and displacement of 2 million and you refuse to question your excess material lifestyle, well then yeah we live on different planets.

Actually I've been in two different war zones in the last decade so I suspect I know more than you do about the state of the world, having seen it first hand. Have you ever actually done anything to help apart from whinge?

I do however find your attitude something to joke about. Get off your high horse. I think you should make some life changes before you get any more bitter. Maybe you should post in PI for some constructive advice on that.

400 - 500
    Tim Robbins, you have your principles and ideals and that is admirable but you're judging other people by how you live your life.
    Maybe I am just a deeper person than the materialism brigade.
    How can you say you are a deeper person than anyone else? You are judging people and making assumptions about them based on how you live your life. That is being judgemental.
    Basically I hate materialism and care about real world issues. I am not trying to force my opinions on other people, but if people feel uncomfortable having a materialistic lifestyle questioned in an internet forum, well then that says it all.
    So you hate materialism and care about world issues. But you are forcing your opinions on others by regarding people who want to spend their own money however they want as belonging to 'the materialism brigade'.

I don't feel uncomfortable about you questioning a materialistic lifestyle. I admire your beliefs and principles but I don't think you should judge other people by how they live their lives. All you can do is live your own life by your own set of values and principles and know that you are true to yourself. But that doesn't mean you should apply those values and principles to everyone else.
    There's a simple question here how much is too much?
    That's relative. €500 would be too much for me but another person wouldn't blink at €1000.

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    Actually I've been in two different war zones in the last decade so I suspect I know more than you do about the state of the world, having seen it first hand. Have you ever actually done anything to help apart from whinge?
    Of course I've done something.
    I do however find your attitude something to joke about. Get off your high horse. I think you should make some life changes before you get any more bitter. Maybe you should post in PI for some constructive advice on that.
    I am also challenging and questioing of a materialistic lifestyle that is common place in Ireland now that you seem to regard as normal and your defensive about it. What's wrong with that?

400 - 500
    Tim Robbins, you have your principles and ideals and that is admirable but you're judging other people by how you live your life.
    I am questioning the lifestyle. What's wrong with that?
    If I heard a good argument, I might actually change my mind.
    So far it's listen do it or get lost.
    So you hate materialism and care about world issues. But you are forcing your opinions on others by regarding people who want to spend their own money however they want as belonging to 'the materialism brigade'.
    I am not forcing my views on anyone. See above.
    Are you saying we can't question, discuss, change our lifestyles?
    I don't feel uncomfortable about you questioning a materialistic lifestyle. I admire your beliefs and principles but I don't think you should judge other people by how they live their lives. All you can do is live your own life by your own set of values and principles and know that you are true to yourself. But that doesn't mean you should apply those values and principles to everyone else.
    I agree and I repeat I am not forcing my views / lifestyle on anyone, I am discussing debating. The social pressure is the other way around. The materialistic lifestyle (e.g. black tie weddings) is actually forced on people owho don't believe in it.

It's much harder to say I am not going to your posh wedding but I still would like to be your friend than to sit with your head in the sand and never think about social issues.
    That's relative. €500 would be too much for me but another person wouldn't blink at €1000.
    I don't think it's all relative.
    The price of water pumps in africa is actually constant.

400 - 500
    Tim Robbins Quote: I am questioning the lifestyle. What's wrong with that?

Tim Robbins, I don't see anywhere that you are questionning anything. From what I can see in your posts your mind is firmly made up.
    The materialistic lifestyle (e.g. black tie weddings) is actually forced on people owho don't believe in it.

It's much harder to say I am not going to your posh wedding but I still would like to be your friend than to sit with your head in the sand and never think about social issues.

But you said earlier that friendship was the most important thing so surely if someone was your friend and they thought you were important enough to be invited to their wedding then you should attend with an open mind and heart. True friendship, like all relationships, is about putting yourself out a little.

I also don't know who you equate not attending your friend's posh wedding with ignoring social issues.
    I don't think it's all relative. The price of water pumps in africa is actually constant.

But Tim Robbins, everything is relative. The price of water in Africa cannot be compared with the price of a dress in Ireland. We live in a country where it never stops raining so we have no concept of the price of water. However, if I were to go to Africa and see first hand how the water shortages affect people then I could put a value on that. I could appreciate the suffering people undergo because of it but once I get back to Ireland, rain etc, the value of water is alot less.

This argument is relative. You have one way of seeing things and I have a polar opposite and I don't think either of us will ever agree on it. Except for the fact that attending weddings in Ireland is in fact an expensive business. :)

Tim Robbins, you're not questioning the lifestyle, you're just arguing for the sake of it. Besides, you know nothing of my lifestyle or that of anyone else here.

You're the one who is bowing to societal pressure. You're the one who has such a problem refusing wedding invitations. You're basically complaining about the fact that you feel pressured to accept wedding invitations when really you can't be bothered, can't afford it and are afraid to turn it down in case you offend someone.

I, on the other hand, have no such problems. I have refused more wedding invitations than I have accepted. For example, this "old mates" bull**** is a bit much. If you are invited to the wedding of someone you worked with a few years ago or once shared a house with but with whom you've largely lost contact, then of course you can say no! I can and I have, because I really don't relish being one of the rent-a-crowd for the day.

If I'm close family then I'll definitely go, but I have refused an invitation to the wedding of a second cousin. Similarly, if it's a close friend then I will be happy to go and if I am going then I will fully enter into the spirit of celebration and may even go so far as to buy a new dress! :eek: I'm sure any couple would rather not have people just attending for the sake of it and secretly bemoaning every cent they've felt compelled to spend on taxi, hotel, new shirt/tie, etc. If you want to go, go, if you don't, then don't, simple as that.

If you read over every thread in this forum, no doubt you'd come across comments I've left before about the excesses of Irish weddings. I too disagree with huge weddings, rent-a-crowd, etc, but I have absolutely no problems with people having their wedding their way and inviting the people they feel closest to. The problem arises when people want to use a venue that will only take a certain minimum of guests, and that's when people start getting invited for the sake of it. (Of course there are others who specifically want a big huge wedding almost to showcase how well connected they are. I'm thinking here about weddings of the offspring of business families or politicians for example, which are used to invite all and sundry and keep people popular.)

So, the moral of the story here Tim Robbins:
    1. Live and let live,
    2. Big boys and girls can make their own decisions and can decide not to attend a wedding if they so wish.
    In other words, grow up, get a back-bone and quit whining.

By the way, I'm not being defensive. I don't need to. I'm well capable of managing my personal finances and I'm also well capable of choosing not to go to a wedding if I can't afford it. You need to work on the second part of that and stop criticising other people who do want to go, just because of your own limitations.

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    Tim Robbins, you're not questioning the lifestyle, you're just arguing for the sake of it. Besides, you know nothing of my lifestyle or that of anyone else here.

You're the one who is bowing to societal pressure. You're the one who has such a problem refusing wedding invitations. You're basically complaining about the fact that you feel pressured to accept wedding invitations when really you can't be bothered, can't afford it and are afraid to turn it down in case you offend someone.

I, on the other hand, have no such problems. I have refused more wedding invitations than I have accepted. For example, this "old mates" bull**** is a bit much. If you are invited to the wedding of someone you worked with a few years ago or once shared a house with but with whom you've largely lost contact, then of course you can say no! I can and I have, because I really don't relish being one of the rent-a-crowd for the day.

If I'm close family then I'll definitely go, but I have refused an invitation to the wedding of a second cousin. Similarly, if it's a close friend then I will be happy to go and if I am going then I will fully enter into the spirit of celebration and may even go so far as to buy a new dress! :eek: I'm sure any couple would rather not have people just attending for the sake of it and secretly bemoaning every cent they've felt compelled to spend on taxi, hotel, new shirt/tie, etc. If you want to go, go, if you don't, then don't, simple as that.

If you read over every thread in this forum, no doubt you'd come across comments I've left before about the excesses of Irish weddings. I too disagree with huge weddings, rent-a-crowd, etc, but I have absolutely no problems with people having their wedding their way and inviting the people they feel closest to. The problem arises when people want to use a venue that will only take a certain minimum of guests, and that's when people start getting invited for the sake of it. (Of course there are others who specifically want a big huge wedding almost to showcase how well connected they are. I'm thinking here about weddings of the offspring of business families or politicians for example, which are used to invite all and sundry and keep people popular.)

So, the moral of the story here Tim Robbins:
    1. Live and let live,
    2. Big boys and girls can make their own decisions and can decide not to attend a wedding if they so wish.
    In other words, grow up, get a back-bone and quit whining.

By the way, I'm not being defensive. I don't need to. I'm well capable of managing my personal finances and I'm also well capable of choosing not to go to a wedding if I can't afford it. You need to work on the second part of that and stop criticising other people who do want to go, just because of your own limitations.
    I think you are full of contradictions.
    You're full of this live and let live jargon but yet give me so much hassel...

• Advertisement

I think you are full of contradictions.
    You're full of this live and let live jargon but yet give me so much hassel...

Finally, I think he's running out of stupid arguments! :D

Actually, if you think that's hassle you've lived a very sheltered life (visit a front-line and you'll see hassle ;) ). I'm simply telling you that you can refuse a wedding invitation if you don't want to or can't afford to go. No offence now Timmy, but the wedding won't fall apart if you don't go! You're the only one causing hassle here and practically accusing other people of contributing to the worst ills of the world by attending weddings in new dresses! :rolleyes:

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    Finally, I think he's running out of stupid arguments! :D

Actually, if you think that's hassle you've lived a very sheltered life (visit a front-line and you'll see hassle ;) ). I'm simply telling you that you can refuse a wedding invitation if you don't want to or can't afford to go. No offence now Timmy, but the wedding won't fall apart if you don't go! You're the only one causing hassle here and practically accusing other people of contributing to the worst ills of the world by attending weddings in new dresses! :rolleyes:
    Straw man. I am not accusing anyone of contributing to the worst ills of the world by attending weddings.
    We obviously have different values. If you really had special friendships I doubt very much you'd feel the need to spend that and be so defensive about that amount of money.
    The world issues means nothing to you. Maybe someday you might fall on hard times, and be worried about finding money for you or your kids and then you'll question being a sucker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I voted 700+ as there was no Atari Jaguar option!

Straw man. I am not accusing anyone of contributing to the worst ills of the world by attending weddings.
    We obviously have different values. If you really had special friendships I doubt very much you'd feel the need to spend that and be so defensive about that amount of money.
    The world issues means nothing to you. Maybe someday you might fall on hard times, and be worried about finding money for you or your kids and then you'll question being a sucker.

If you really had special friendships I doubt very much you'd feel the need to attend every last wedding you're ever invited to, just in case someone crosses you off their Christmas card list. :rolleyes:

I'm not a sucker (but perhaps you are for wallowing in self-pity and bitterness? You could try getting a better job, upskilling yourself, or moving house to somewhere more affordable, or renting instead, or maybe not having any more kids until you're more secure?). You know nothing first-hand about world issues, and how can you possibly know how world issues affect another person you've never met?

You should stop posting now because every post you make reinforces the evidence of the begrudgery that is your attitude to attending weddings.

Go, don't go, it's not really going to matter much (unless you're the bride or groom)! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

500 - 600
    Hotel: Up to €100
    Present: €200
    Drink/Smokes/dry cleaning/: €200

Averaging about €500 a pop this year, been to quite a few as well.

400 - 500
    dame wrote:
    If you really had special friendships I doubt very much you'd feel the need to attend every last wedding you're ever invited to, just in case someone crosses you off their Christmas card list. :rolleyes:
    This is the difference between you and me. You think from your perspective, Idon't care if get crossed of that person's list, I am not going if doesn't suit me.

I think if they are a special friend, I should go. It's a duty thing.
    You know nothing first-hand about world issues, and how can you possibly know how world issues affect another person you've never met?
    Ridiculous, how can I meet 6 billion people.
    To say I have to meet people to understand world issues is just dense. What happens if I can't afford to go to some places?
    Do you read at all? Are seriously trying to say reading doesn't increase world knowledge?

You should stop posting now because every post you make reinforces the evidence of the begrudgery that is your attitude to attending weddings.
    Deep

This is the difference between you and me. You think from your perspective, Idon't care if get crossed of that person's list, I am not going if doesn't suit me.

I think if they are a special friend, I should go. It's a duty thing.

Ridiculous, how can I meet 6 billion people.
    To say I have to meet people to understand world issues is just dense. What happens if I can't afford to go to some places?
    Do you read at all? Are seriously trying to say reading doesn't increase world knowledge?

Deep

Actually I have two degrees, so yes I do understand the concept of reading to increase knowledge. :p Don't be so condescending. Perhaps you should read in a more structured fashion. If you read and study the right material you may even improve your prospects.

By the way, you're picking me up wrong. I was pointing out that you don't know me, therefore you don't know how any world issues affect me.

You've also picked up incorrectly on the friendship issue. You're saying I won't go to a person's wedding if it doesn't suit me, as if that's a fault with me. It's not. As I pointed out already, I will go if the person is a close friend or relative. There is a difference. You on the other hand, come on the internet complaining about feeling as if you must go to weddings of people that either you or your partner don't know very well and that you don't really want to go to, but then you do go anyway, because you feel a duty to go. You spout on about friendship, yadda, yadda, yadda, while you misunderstand the concept of friendship versus passing acquaintances. People who may have been a close friend at one time can become not much more than acquaintances over time, if there isn't much contact between you. I feel no duty to go weddings of acquaintances, but you seem to be petrified you'll lose them or cause a big hole in your friendship if you don't go.

Why are you on the internet complaining about how much it costs to attend weddings of one-time pals/acquaintances? Grow a spine for God's sake and stop wasting your time whingeing. Go and read something decent. Learn how to make a water pump and send it to Africa, or whatever floats your boat.

Here's an idea for you; the next time you get a wedding invitation to a wedding you don't want to go to, instead of going out of a sense of duty (not love), why don't you just calculate how much it would cost you to go, half that figure (as you haven't that much to spare), then donate it to a worthy cause and send the couple a card with a receipt for your donation it it instead of attending. (They might even be happy that you're not going. They'll have two mouths less to feed, won't have your begrudging face sitting looking at them, and maybe they were only asking you out of a sense of duty too.) Then again, it if is a really close friend then maybe you'll be happy to go (perish the thought :rolleyes: )

Are you done with this complaining yet?

400 - 500
    dame wrote:

Here's an idea for you; the next time you get a wedding invitation to a wedding you don't want to go to, instead of going out of a sense of duty (not love), why don't you just calculate how much it would cost you to go, half that figure (as you haven't that much to spare), then donate it to a worthy cause and send the couple a card with a receipt for your donation it it instead of attending. (They might even be happy that you're not going. They'll have two mouths less to feed, won't have your begrudging face sitting looking at them, and maybe they were only asking you out of a sense of duty too.) Then again, it if is a really close friend then maybe you'll be happy to go (perish the thought :rolleyes: )
    Why are you so spiteful? I give a lot to charity but it's a private matter how much I give. Why should I spite friends doing something as immature as that?

Maybe you feel the need to show everyone your expensive dress, I certainly don't feel the need to tell shove receipts in people's faces how much I give to charity.
    Are you done with this complaining yet?
    I am simply discussing how over board we have got in the Celtic Tiger w.r.t. Weddings. Talk to your parents and ask them what they did.
    I am not the only one who feels like this. My own anecdotal evidence suggests a lot of people feel this way but are afraid to say it because they won't to be called moaners or party poopers by people like you. You should be a bit more sensitive. You say you have two degrees. Do the Math and you'll see no everyone can afford to splash out like you do and finacial demands from peers can put people in an awkard situation.

Also, many people feel there are ethical and morals issues about spending obscene amounts of money and it is yet further evidence Ireland has lost our sense of common humanity in the Celtic Tiger.

Eh, spiteful? I don't think so. I was providing you with an escape route, a way you could avoid going if you didn't want to, while still letting your friends know that you're not staying away out of meanness or because you don't like them.

I'm not a bridezilla, far from it! :D

I actually feel sorry for your family by now. I can just imagine you questioning your wife and kids when they buy anything new; Do you really need that? Are you sure, because you already have more than two sets of clothes so you always have something to wear? How much did it cost? What????? Do you realise how far that money could go in Africa? and No, absolutely not, there will be no new coats until you outgrow my old ones, because I feel obliged to go to this wedding that we can't afford to go to.
    I just know you're going to come back and say something along the lines of how you feel sorry for my family having to put up with someone so shallow, someone who spends their inheritance on crap, who doesn't care about world issues, who doesn't care about friends, blah, blah, all of which will be absolute crap....so just save yourself the bother....although this is quite entertaining actually!

• Advertisement

finacial demands from peers can put people in an awkard situation.

Yes, and most people outgrow peer pressure eventually. Maybe you haven't reached that happy state of enlightenment yet.

I should have quoted your original version of this post in my last reply, it made you sound a lot worse than the latest version does.

The celtic tiger isn't the real issue here, (sure, it has meant more disposable income for a lot of people, not as much for others, you could go on about that forever (and you probably will)), no, the real issue is you not feeling capable of deciding if you will keep trying to keep up with the Jones's or not. Stop trying to pin your need for this on other people. If you don't agree with spending money on attending weddings, or can't afford to, then don't.

By the way, if the wedding was of a really close friend or relative, you'd have known it was coming (and that you'd be invited) probably a year or more in advance. That should be plenty of time to plan the finances and be able to go, if you want to, without the threat of going into debt for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement