Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cop Shot!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Zambia232 wrote:
    Its what you press before changing the gearie

Tee Hee! That made me laugh out really loud, everyone is looking at me! *goes now to pretend to work really really hard!*

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

I think the point is that there is a new breed of criminal, these people would score high on a psycopathy index and in general can not be rehabilitated. The only logical solution is long term incarciration....the first couple of times you commit a violent offense you might have some chance of rehabilitation, but after a while you just have to admit some people live by the sword and need to die by the sword.

If you wield a lethal weapon you have to expect a consubstantial response....just the way of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Degsy wrote:
    I say have an armed militia who shoot scumbags dead whenever they come across them.The cops know who these pricks are,thier hands are tied by the laws which give scum more rights than they deserve.

The PC brigade will eat you alive ;)

But this extreme measure is not even needed .. all thats required is a proper justice system somewhat like that in the USA.. Seriously anyone who shoots a cop should be doing 30 years without parole and anyone who steals a car and rams a cop car should be looking at maybe 15-20.

We should have zero tolerance and a 3 strikes policy.

And nice big juicy prison somewhere in the arsehole of mayo, no luxuries, no tv and visits behind glass.. The crime problems this country has would be solved overnight..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Gordon Brown announced a mandatory 5 year sentence for anyone over 18 caught carrying a firearm illegaly. What is the current position here, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Mairt wrote:
    I've no word on the severity of injuries, but do motorcycle cops wear a vest like the other guys?.

Yes, they would be issued with protection as well, or they should be. It is probable in this case the officer was shot in the leg etc. This is the norm for UK crims to stop a potential pursuit by the officer and not get charged with attempted murder. (I acknowledge that one could die from a leg wound if hit in a main artery).

Mairt wrote:
    And in this present climate is it time to arm the cops?.

I would say no to this. There was a big debate on this issue in the UK some years back & all they did was up the Armed response Units.

I hope the officer makes a full recovery & these perps are brought to justice swiftly using all means nessessary.

TJ911...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

murphaph wrote:
    Gordon Brown announced a mandatory 5 year sentence for anyone over 18 caught carrying a firearm illegaly. What is the current position here, does anyone know?

It would mean nothing here.

We have a mandatory life sentence for importing drugs, its not used.

And we have a ten year mandatory sentence for robbing with a Syringe, not used either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ok.
    Everyone needs to put their E-guns down and be calm.

Step away from the PC, take a few deep breaths and relax.
    Then come back and try to debate this rationally. (The words "piss" and "wind" come to mind, but i digest (I know what I said)).

theitking, you're still alive. Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

event wrote:
    so what, cos it happens in one country, it will happen over here?

...in australia, the Western Australia Police are armed, how many shootings are there over there?

Interesting you should ask...these figures are for ALL Australia (couldn't find Western alone).
    Source

#26 Ireland: 0.00298805 per 1,000 people
    #27 Australia: 0.00293678 per 1,000 people

So Australia, with an armed police force is only a teeny-tiny bit lower than Ireland with an unarmed police force...hardly compelling enough to warrant arming the Gardaí!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Zambia232 wrote:

:D Like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

1. FYI gardaí of detective rank or higher can get issued sidearms. Tried to find statistics for how many of sufficient rank there are but no luck so if anyone can find them it'll give people an idea of how many armed gardaí we could have if they actually chose to be armed.

2. Does the fact that the other scumbags have guns deter them from shooting each other? No! Don't expect it to be any real deterant for shooting gardaí either.

3. I agree we need to put the fear back in the scum but with overcrowded prisons meaning that few criminals don't get out early for "good behaviour". And from a school tour of Mountjoy it's not the Ritz or the Hilton but it's not exactly a penal colony either, the people in there are treated far better than the scum deserve so they should have a real sh*thole of a prison for the worst offenders, make every day of their time spent there a misery. Otherwise with the low odds of being caught, a good chance of reduced sentence and a stay in a place that is not that bad, what do criminals really have to fear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I assume the police here dont report in the reg of every vehicle before approaching them like the US cops do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

Interesting you should ask...these figures are for ALL Australia (couldn't find Western alone).
    Source

#26 Ireland: 0.00298805 per 1,000 people
    #27 Australia: 0.00293678 per 1,000 people

So Australia, with an armed police force is only a teeny-tiny bit lower than Ireland with an unarmed police force...hardly compelling enough to warrant arming the Gardaí!

Interesting Fact about Australian Gun Laws...

A couple years ago they severely limited gun ownership by the general public and the crime rate went up immensely.

More guns generally mean a safer country....The United States is an exception the the rule. Look at Switzerland,Israel,Nordic countries and even look at The UK before the handgun ban...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Whereas here they eased up on firearm laws last year and no sooner were airguns (1Joule or lower) classed as toys than some twits in a car shot a traffic cop in the face with one.:(
    Guns do not a safe society make...
    They just give the illusion of safety while the criminaly just buy even more lethal firearms, we get handguns, they get shotguns, we get shotguns, they get machine guns, etc...

farohar wrote:
    They just give the illusion of safety while the criminaly just buy even more lethal firearms, we get handguns, they get shotguns, we get shotguns, they get machine guns, etc...

Id rather that than a situation where "we have nothing and they have guns"..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Jumpy wrote:
    I assume the police here dont report in the reg of every vehicle before approaching them like the US cops do?

Not sure, but even if they do, the car in this case was stolen.

farohar wrote:
    Whereas here they eased up on firearm laws last year and no sooner were airguns classed as toys than some twits in a car shot a traffic cop in the face with one.:(
    Guns do not a safe society make...

Well see thats the thing.

Criminals have easy access to guns at the moment. Forgetting that any criminal worth his salt at least has a 10 inch bread knife.

There are plenty of people in this country who have lax morals and care nothing about robbing, maiming and killing other people.

So what are you going to do if someone breaks into your house armed with a knife. Call the police and hope they come in time? Hope the criminal won't harm you if you give him what he wants?

Thats defeatist thinking. People should have the power to defend themselves and their family, you are kidding yourself if you think the police will catch the majority of criminals, let alone stop the crime from occuring.

Criminals would think more than twice about entering your house if there was a possibility of an armed defender inside

They would think twice about raping your daughter if there was a possibility of a gun in her purse.

Unlike you and I, morals aren't stopping criminals from committing depraved acts, the only thing that stops them is fear...

Fear of retaliation.

Whether that be from the Gardai or the victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

nikolaitr wrote:
    So what are you going to do if someone breaks into your house armed with a knife. Call the police and hope they come in time?
    "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

Anyway, I think they should bring in laws against assault and murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

nikolaitr wrote:
    Well see thats the thing.

Criminals have easy access to guns at the moment. Forgetting that any criminal worth his salt at least has a 10 inch bread knife.

There are plenty of people in this country who have lax morals and care nothing about robbing, maiming and killing other people.

So what are you going to do if someone breaks into your house armed with a knife. Call the police and hope they come in time? Hope the criminal won't harm you if you give him what he wants?

Thats defeatist thinking. People should have the power to defend themselves and their family, you are kidding yourself if you think the police will catch the majority of criminals, let alone stop the crime from occuring.

Criminals would think more than twice about entering your house if there was a possibility of an armed defender inside

They would think twice about raping your daughter if there was a possibility of a gun in her purse.

Unlike you and I, morals aren't stopping criminals from committing depraved acts, the only thing that stops them is fear...

Fear of retaliation.

Whether that be from the Gardai or the victim.
    I feel quite safe in my bed at night without any firearms in my house as it is, and I live in a built up area with plenty of problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

farohar wrote:
    1. FYI gardaí of detective rank or higher can get issued sidearms. Tried to find statistics for how many of sufficient rank there are but no luck so if anyone can find them it'll give people an idea of how many armed gardaí we could have if they actually chose to be armed.

2. Does the fact that the other scumbags have guns deter them from shooting each other? No! Don't expect it to be any real deterant for shooting gardaí either.

3. I agree we need to put the fear back in the scum but with overcrowded prisons meaning that few criminals don't get out early for "good behaviour". And from a school tour of Mountjoy it's not the Ritz or the Hilton but it's not exactly a penal colony either, the people in there are treated far better than the scum deserve so they should have a real sh*thole of a prison for the worst offenders, make every day of their time spent there a misery. Otherwise with the low odds of being caught, a good chance of reduced sentence and a stay in a place that is not that bad, what do criminals really have to fear?

Part of the problem with mountjoy is that its full of criminal families from the five main areas in Dublin where the crime tends to originate.Wacker from the flats is going in to do a three stretch and he meets all his mates on the wing.They sort each other out with drugs and share needles,mobile phones and information.To a lot of people,going into mountjoy is a holiday away from having to steal and hustle to get drugs,they either get Physeptone from the doctor or gear off thier mates.These pricks should be dispersed the length and breath of the countries jails,it;'ll stop them getting too cushy and also go some way to preventing thier lowlife relatives from visiting them and bringing drugs with them.Mountjoy mightbe a hellhole to any normal person but to scumbags its a badge of honour to have done time.I say make them work for thier sentence too,plenty of potholes need to be filled in,they can wear pink uniforms and flipflops instead of thier designer trainers,see how hard they look then.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I feel quite safe in my bed at night without any firearms in my house as it is, and I live in a built up area with plenty of problems.

I feel safe too, but I still know that there is a possibility of a break in. And I know its a small chance, but it is a real one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Zambia232 wrote:

Feck ye ye got there first!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

theitking wrote:
    Try maybe cancer threatmeant! People WAIT MONTHS on waiting lists to see consultants. Example, my grandfather died about 2 months ago from an un-diagnosed lump on his lower back which ended up being cancer. Waiting list in the hospital was 8 months to get it checked. His apointment would have been for two weeks from now. A little late eh?

Anyone who disagress that this incident couldnt have been handled better i bet have been sitting in work from bang on 9am sharp :cool:

Someone having a lie in this morning and ended up late for work...tch...tch

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

nikolaitr wrote:
    I feel safe too, but I still know that there is a possibility of a break in. And I know its a small chance, but it is a real one.
    And if someone breaking in thinks that there's going to be an armed defender in there, do you think he's more likely to arm himself and then kill/restrain you before robbing you, or just skulk around in the darkness?

The fact is that most robberies which take place are done completely without the home owner's knowledge. They're usually either absent or asleep. It's rare enough that a home owner will confront a robber. In fact, most robbers will flee if they hear you moving around.

I have little fear of robberies. Our house alarm keeps going off randomly so I've gotten in the habit of not turning it on. I've left my car open numerous times overnight. My brother has left the house with the back door wide open for hours during the day. We've never been robbed.
    In fact, the only robbery my family has ever experienced was a chequebook years ago stolen from the back of house after someone left a door open. We didn't even know someone had been in the house until odd cheques started appearing months later.

The media has a popular view of the vicious robber who'll rape your family, beat you up and then burn your house with you in it. Most thieves want to get in and out as quickly as possible and with as little disturbance as possible. They don't want to interact with anyone in the house.

If you are able to easily to get your hands on a weapon for "home defence", then it's a million times easier for a criminal to get one from the black market. An armed population doesn't magically create unarmed criminals.

But I digress. This kind of crime has to be stamped on hard. To use a simplistic view, when a child in school punches another child, they get into trouble. If the child punches a teacher, they get crucified. And rightly so. This is because if the troublemakers don't respect the authorities, then everyone is at a greater risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Exit wrote:
    Not sure, but even if they do, the car in this case was stolen.

I woul dhave thought that knowing you were approaching a stolen car would be quite valuable information. No?
    Orange69 wrote:

But this extreme measure is not even needed .. all thats required is a proper justice system somewhat like that in the USA.. Seriously anyone who shoots a cop should be doing 30 years without parole and anyone who steals a car and rams a cop car should be looking at maybe 15-20.

We should have zero tolerance and a 3 strikes policy.

And nice big juicy prison somewhere in the arsehole of mayo, no luxuries, no tv and visits behind glass.. The crime problems this country has would be solved overnight..

Sh1t. I am really of of date on the news. I did not reasilse the crime problem in the states had been solved. I am presuming as you are so sure that 3 strikes and longer prison sentences in hard prisons will solve our problem overnight you can show a country that does this and it has been a success?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

seamus wrote:
    And if someone breaking in thinks that there's going to be an armed defender in there, do you think he's more likely to arm himself and then kill/restrain you before robbing you, or just skulk around in the darkness?

The fact is that most robberies which take place are done completely without the home owner's knowledge. They're usually either absent or asleep. It's rare enough that a home owner will confront a robber. In fact, most robbers will flee if they hear you moving around.

I have little fear of robberies. Our house alarm keeps going off randomly so I've gotten in the habit of not turning it on. I've left my car open numerous times overnight. My brother has left the house with the back door wide open for hours during the day. We've never been robbed.
    In fact, the only robbery my family has ever experienced was a chequebook years ago stolen from the back of house after someone left a door open. We didn't even know someone had been in the house until odd cheques started appearing months later.

The media has a popular view of the vicious robber who'll rape your family, beat you up and then burn your house with you in it. Most thieves want to get in and out as quickly as possible and with as little disturbance as possible. They don't want to interact with anyone in the house.

If you are able to easily to get your hands on a weapon for "home defence", then it's a million times easier for a criminal to get one from the black market. An armed population doesn't magically create unarmed criminals.

But I digress. This kind of crime has to be stamped on hard. To use a simplistic view, when a child in school punches another child, they get into trouble. If the child punches a teacher, they get crucified. And rightly so. This is because if the troublemakers don't respect the authorities, then everyone is at a greater risk.

I agree... The chances of being confronted are minimal & the offender will normally bolt when discovered.

I'm a bit confused, your post above would suggest you were discussing Burglary/Aggravated Burglary not Robbery, albeit they still both come under the umbrella of the Larceny/Theft Act.

TJ911...

MrPudding wrote:
    I am presuming as you are so sure that 3 strikes and longer prison sentences in hard prisons will solve our problem overnight you can show a country that does this and it has been a success?
    MrP

Um the USA? A far safer place than Ireland, and a place where criminals are significantly punished for their crimes..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Orange69 wrote:
    Um the USA? A far safer place than Ireland, and a place where criminals are significantly punished for their crimes..

You're joking right?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Trojan911 wrote:
    I'm a bit confused, your post above would suggest you were discussing Burglary/Aggravated Burglary not Robbery, albeit they still both come under the umbrella of the Larceny/Theft Act.
    Ah, it's all the same ;)
    In reality though yeah I'm talking about burglary.

Motosam wrote:
    You're joking right?

Have you ever actually lived in the USA and decided for yourself? As opposed to sucking down the media garbage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Orange69 wrote:

WOW!!!

now you've done it - OK; show us some stats.

US safer than Ireland???

Advertisement