Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell vostro

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

Hi, I am thinking of getting two Vostros for friends, however i was wondering, does the Vostro have the same compatability problem with the Three Broadband modem as i`ve had with some of the Insprions.

Vinnie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

VINNIEB wrote: »
    Hi, I am thinking of getting two Vostros for friends, however i was wondering, does the Vostro have the same compatability problem with the Three Broadband modem as i`ve had with some of the Insprions.

Vinnie

What is the compatibility problem? Is it the usb modem or the card that slots into the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

It`s a problem with the USB Modem, i think it conflicts with the CD/DVD drive and wont load the all the drivers from the modem.

There is a fix here which i have used on the inspirion:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055104789&referrerid=59211

Scroll to post #20, this works.

Vinnie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well I didn't read all of that thread but it looks like the problem is with Vista. So yes it will have the compatibility issues and that will fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Is there any point in getting the "Truelife" feature for the screen?? What does it do, and what is it supposed to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

How many RAM slots are there?

I'd be looking to buy extra RAM afterwards.

Is there any point in getting the "Truelife" feature for the screen?? What does it do, and what is it supposed to do?

It a glossy coating on the screen that makes games and films look really good. It's also meant to make any normal tasks a bit of a pain and causes a lot of glare on the screen if you have a light source behind you. I have never used it so I don't know from personal experience but this is what I've heard.

kaimera wrote: »
    How many RAM slots are there?

I'd be looking to buy extra RAM afterwards.

Only two slots both of which will be used.

Only two slots both of which will be used.
    Shop4memory have 4gigs [2x2gb] for €215.
    4Gb G.Skill DDR2 PC2-6400 PQ CL5 Series 800MHz Dual Channel kit

High-capacity CL5 4Gb DDR2 kit from G.Skill. Two matched 2Gb PC2-6400 modules, rated CL5 (5-5-5-15) at 800MHz. PQ Series, 240 pins, non-ECC

That would be fine for the vostro yes/ no?

That would be fine for the vostro yes/ no?

I don't think so. Those appear to be DIMMs (this is normal desktop ram), you are looking for are SO-DIMMs (this is laptop ram). Go here for SO-DIMMs. The last two are 4GB kits. The last one is the better of the two.

• Advertisement

I don't think so. Those appear to be DIMMs (this is normal desktop ram), you are looking for are SO-DIMMs (this is laptop ram). Go here for SO-DIMMs. The last two are 4GB kits. The last one is the better of the two.
    Cheers AC.

Boo to €300; must see what I'm taxed this month now.

Cheers AC.

Boo to €300; must see what I'm taxed this month now.

The other 4GB kit is only €220 but it is clocked slower, 667mhz compared to 800mhz. I don't know what the difference in performance would be but I doubt it would be all that much.

Whats the story with getting 64bit Vista with a Vostro?

Is it possible and what would it cost? I only see 32bit.Ultimate listed under OS'

Do MS let you upgrade for free from 32 -> 64bit versions?

Well, finally went and ordered the 1500.

€1045
    c2d 2gig
    2 gig ram
    160gig hdd
    256meg 8600gt
    15.4" screen + cam
    9 cell battery

Iirc I used to be able to add the c2d 2.2 4meg cache cpu to it for roughly the same price. Meh. Too many pc games coming out for me not to be able to play them.

Now to play the waiting game on delivery.

Delivery should only be about a week give or take.

Delivery should only be about a week give or take.
    Try 3 days :)

Arrived just there a second ago! yay for Dell delivery times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Try 3 days :)

Arrived just there a second ago! yay for Dell delivery times :)

second that!!

Gotta say I'm loving it so far.

Much nicer looking than my old one and defo better than my work lappy [compaq nc6400].

Finding vista very quick and responsive so far; not fond of the mountain of processes running by default tho, think I have it down to the low 40s atm but my old pc I had it running 20-odd max iirc on xp.

Just need my intarwebs now...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Just got the 1400 yesterday. Ordered on monday night and came on wedensday morning. Great delivery time if you ask me.
    It looks great and no trialware at all (except for macafee but it doesnt bother me).

Cant wait to get started on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

love this vostro 1500 so far, ordered friday delivered wednesday. would definitely recommend them (along with every mod here apparently)
    :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement