Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell vostro

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ordered mine Saturday morning, dispatched yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

For those with a Vostro already; what way is the hdd partitioned?

and I assume you don't get a vista dvd with it? Just recovery disks with no additional software disks?

I usually don't bother with a recovery; format the entire hdd, partition it my own way and do a clean install free of all the crap that comes pre.installed but if I don't have driver disks it's not worth my hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eamonntheviking

kaimera wrote:
    For those with a Vostro already; what way is the hdd partitioned?

and I assume you don't get a vista dvd with it? Just recovery disks with no additional software disks?

I usually don't bother with a recovery; format the entire hdd, partition it my own way and do a clean install free of all the crap that comes pre.installed but if I don't have driver disks it's not worth my hassle.

When I rang them yesterday they said that it would come with a copy of vista on disc, I can confirm this when it arrives.

When I rang them yesterday they said that it would come with a copy of vista on disc, I can confirm this when it arrives.
    Cheers :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I ordered a vostro for my sister last night. I told mum that dell will email us when the status has been updated to delivered. My mum just asked me today would the postal strike in England affect the email from dell. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Got mine today! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nehpets wrote:
    Got mine today! :D

How long did it take to deliver and what vostro did you get (1500, 1000,1400)?

Order Date:	26/09/2007
    Estimated Delivery Date (on or before this date):	08/10/2007

Actual Shipment Date:	03/10/2007

Carrier Name:	Interlink

delivered today, the 4th oct

EDIT: Vostro 1500

Very happy with it too, quiet, not heavy at all, battery doesn't stick out (6-cell), truelife screen NOT too reflective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

Does it have an s video out slot?

Nehpets wrote:
    Order Date:    26/09/2007
    Estimated Delivery Date (on or before this date):    08/10/2007

Actual Shipment Date:    03/10/2007

Carrier Name:    Interlink

delivered today, the 4th oct

EDIT: Vostro 1500

Very happy with it too, quiet, not heavy at all, battery doesn't stick out (6-cell), truelife screen NOT too reflective

Hmm not bad. Hopefully the vostro 1000 range delivery time is around the same. Thanks man.

• Advertisement

Whats the deal with installing XP over Vista? Can you just boot from CD, delete partitions and format, and then install xp? Or is is more complicated then that? I assumed not, but I'm hearing all this stuff about headaches downgrading. Like the ass I am I forgot to change it to Xp from Vista in the order screen

• Registered Users Posts: 47 _hybrid_

ordered mine on the 27th and got it today(4th). 5 days before estimated delivery date. delighted with it, mint laptop!

HavoK wrote:
    Whats the deal with installing XP over Vista? Can you just boot from CD, delete partitions and format, and then install xp? Or is is more complicated then that? I assumed not, but I'm hearing all this stuff about headaches downgrading. Like the ass I am I forgot to change it to Xp from Vista in the order screen

It doesn't look like it's going to be easy.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1425295&SiteID=17

Yeah feck it I'm just keeping Vista. typing from my 1500 now. went into production monday, arrived today. very impressed,super speedy

How long did it spend in pre production?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Vostros are nice looking laptops :)

How long did it spend in pre production?

Two days. I placed an order Saturday, laptop physically dispatched Wednesday, arrived this morning.

Not a huge fan of Vista. Very slow compared to XP but hopefully that'll improve over time. Have installed all the basics now and uninstalled the crap I didn't want - which there was actually none of really, no bloatware, just had to uninstall McAfee. Work soon so will install 3dMark and games later to give the 8600GT a whirl.

HavoK wrote:
    Two days. I placed an order Saturday, laptop physically dispatched Wednesday, arrived this morning.

A week and a bit alltogether. Sweet. I ordered my sisters on Wednesday night. Does it come with the OS disk?
    HavoK wrote:
    Not a huge fan of Vista. Very slow compared to XP but hopefully that'll improve over time.
    Apparantly the indexing kills it for a while but once it's done it's better.
    HavoK wrote:
    Have installed all the basics now and uninstalled the crap I didn't want - which there was actually none of really, no bloatware, just had to uninstall McAfee.

That's not too b bad, I was expecting it to be full of trial versions and crap like that.

it has a recovery partition but also the install disc.

and actually its less then a week - it'll be 7 days tomorrow since i placed my order, and im already happily up and running :)

The only thing I had to delete was mcaffee to replace with avg. it also comes with roxio but im just gonna keep that. other then that, its fairly clean.

HavoK wrote:
    it has a recovery partition but also the install disc.

How big is the partition?
    HavoK wrote:
    and actually its less then a week - it'll be 7 days tomorrow since i placed my order, and im already happily up and running :)

:o Hungover and the brain ain't working.
    HavoK wrote:
    The only thing I had to delete was mcaffee to replace with avg. it also comes with roxio but im just gonna keep that. other then that, its fairly clean.

Sweet I was afraid I'd have to format it.

• Advertisement

10gigs, about half of it used

HavoK wrote:
    10gigs, about half of it used

That's not too bad. Cheers for all the answers havok.

glad i went with XP :D very speedy. I'll upgrade to Vista when it gets... better

finally did some games testing and benching, much more to come though.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=176502

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

great info there havok!

any idea how the 8400 GS would stack up to the GT? I plan on doing some light gaming, but may get an urge to buy a recent game from time to time.

I want to get the 1400 which only has the 8400 GS as I don't want the extra weight and size of the 1500.

would the GS be a big step down?

Yeah it's a fairly big step down. The 8600GT would be maybe twice as powerful. 8400GS still OK though for older games and new games on low settings. I was debating the 8400GS 1400 vs 8600GT 1500 for awhile. In the end I just choose this, because if the insanely good price and I do game quite a bit...

Whats the build quality like?

Someone mentioned to me that word from a friend in Dell is that the Vostros aren't great. I really don't want that to be the case :-/

Very sturdy in my opinion. Screen very rigid, no flex at the hinges at all. it wouldnt win awards for beauty but i think it seems very well made

Heh, I don't really care what the laptop looks like. If I wanted looks I'd go MBP or some other apple stuff.

Cheers HavoK, I do believe that a vostro1500/1700 shall be purchased from this months paycheque!

CSS here I come :)

• Advertisement

Check out that link again, I tried Call of Duty 4 this morning it actually ran OK at 1280x800 some medium some high options, was pretty shocked, I assumed the ddr2 bandwith would kill it at that res on such a new game. Now,at that resolution, it was prone to becoming ever so slightly jerky the odd time (you can see the frame count) but all in all it was playable. Not bad for a 950 euro laptop....

Advertisement