Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facilities for commuters

Options
  • 18-09-2007 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I changed job recently. The old place had a dry, secure place to lock the bike and showers.
    The new place barely has a pole to lock the bike to, and no showers.

What kind of companies have decent facilities? Government? Big companies? And how have people found out? Do you ever ask in the interview or at offer stage?

I'm thinking of moving again as driving really p1sses me off...

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

What kind of companies have decent facilities? Government? Big companies? And how have people found out? Do you ever ask in the interview or at offer stage?
    The big ones seem to be pretty good, I've worked for IBM & AOL in the past, who've had good shower facilities & bike parking.
    I've thought of turning jobs down at that stage, just to make a point, but I don't think it'd make any difference...
    I'm thinking of moving again as driving really p1sses me off...
    Or, like me, get used to changing & sponge-bathing in the jacks. Shower before you leave home and it's not hard to get clean - you'll smell better than someone who'd just sat in a car for an hour or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

A friend who lives along the southside Dart line told me that for €7 p/a you get a key to a bicycle lock up in Connolly Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

It's very hit and miss. I worked for a large American multinational that had:

Secure storage (inside security fence)
    Excellent showers and lockers
    Drying room
    €3/day for not using a car
    Token bike to work day once a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Is there a lock-up on Connolly? I thought it was just the bike rack inside the main part of the station (where the Belfast train comes in). There used to be a lock-up shed outside Pearse Station which cost a tenner (deposit) but I've a feeling it's gone now.
    tampopo wrote:
    A friend who lives along the southside Dart line told me that for €7 p/a you get a key to a bicycle lock up in Connolly Station.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Is there a lock-up on Connolly? I thought it was just the bike rack inside the main part of the station (where the Belfast train comes in).
    They have got a row of those bin-like bike lockers there against the wall behind the Belfast platform. Can't imagine when I'd want to use them, though. They'd be handier at an out-of-town station so you could ride to the station and take the train in. Perhaps it's funded by the govt for devolution, so you could cycle up from Dunne Towers and commute to your office in Sligo...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

rp wrote:
    They have got a row of those bin-like bike lockers there against the wall behind the Belfast platform.
    I wonder did Michael Power of Irish Rail listen to my suggestion - I mentioned the bike lockers that Caltrain has in San Francisco area. He was familiar with them from visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

in San Diego they have racks on the front of buses to carry bikes. When the bus stops you just lob your bike onto the rack...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Mucco wrote:
    Drying room
    Excellent - A drying room is a great idea, but I've never seen this in a business (apart from an outdoor pursuits centre). Just curious, was the €3 per day paid in salary, or through some bonus scheme or what?

We have a single shower (small office - 60 people approx) and lockers. However, I need to wear a suit 2-3 days per week, but I can't fit a suit or even a shirt on a hanger in my locker, so I basically have a wardrobe of stuff hanging on the back of my office door. It ain't pretty, but it works.

I have asked about facilities for cycling before joining a company, but not usually at interview. It's really one of the many questions I need to ask outside of formal interview setting.

I know of one public body that provides a towel service for their staff showers - now there's luxury!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

My place is grand. Xilinx in CityWest. Has about 5 showers in the mens shower room, includin a cold shower cube, free lockers in the locker room, and a free gym with yoga classes and all that jazz. does the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Bluefoam wrote:
    in San Diego they have racks on the front of buses to carry bikes. When the bus stops you just lob your bike onto the rack...
    They do this in the Bay Area too.

I'm at Sun Microsystems in East Point Business Park. We have 2 electric showers (male/female) in the building which houses around 120 people. Partially covered bike rack out back. Works well for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

RainyDay wrote:
    a wardrobe of stuff hanging on the back of my office door.

...why don't you use a suit bag for all your hanging stuff on the back of the door, might look neater....

I cycle 15kms into work each morning and we have showers off the First-Aid room. Nice and clean and quite swanky! Bikes are constantly getting nicked from the bike rack so it helps to have a beat up looking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

thanks for the info guys. think I'll have to start chaining my bike to sales boy's range rover :)

Do any of the city centre / ifsc banks have decent bike facilities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hungrycol wrote:
    ...why don't you use a suit bag for all your hanging stuff on the back of the door, might look neater....
    Been there....

I had one of the suit carriers, but the yoke inside the carrier which holds the hangers broke with the weight of a suit and a few shirts, so I didn't fancy splashing out on another one which would break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

My place has 5 showers, lockers and a drying room. Also a secure lockup with swipe card access.
    Moving to a new building, and they're rebuilding one of the tea-stations into a shower room, again with lockers and a wall-wall radiator for towels etc.
    We don't get E3 a day though :( That'd cover lunch nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Do any of the city centre / ifsc banks have decent bike facilities?

IFSC! Don't even go there if your bike is in any way swish unless you've got a full time security guard to look over it very second of the day. Spitting distance between the IFSC and Sherrif St. Not that Sherrif St. isn't a lovely place, I think it is very lovely (ahem), sure what other place has it's very own dedicated Garda presence 24/7!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

my place has a shower and a shared locker for storing your gear/towels.
    We would have to queue in the morning for showers on some days in the summer months, but the number of people cycling has dropped (due to some people leaving) so it's rare that I have to wait for anybody.

I reckon my company now has 7 people cycling, 2/3 of which would use the shower facilities. At one point we would have had another 3 or 4, all using the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

We have 4 ladies' showers with individual changing areas, lockers, full length mirror and hair dryer :) Only one or two other ladies cycle so I invariably have the place to myself every morning!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    My place is grand. Xilinx in CityWest. Has about 5 showers in the mens shower room, includin a cold shower cube, free lockers in the locker room, and a free gym with yoga classes and all that jazz. does the job!

Hey, do you still work, know anyone who works here or does anyone else work here? Thats an super set up, I am very jealous. If anyone does, can I please get in on that yoga class (long shot I know) as Citywest yoga studio is no more??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Mucco wrote: »
    It's very hit and miss. I worked for a large American multinational that had:

Drying room
    Token bike to work day once a year

What a super initiative.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Wow is this the most deeply zombied resurrection ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Secure bike shed with swipe access and about 30 Sheffield stands. 6 showers in the men’s, drying room and a decent size locker.

Previous place had an underground car park, with designated bike area, showers and drying room in the car park

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

We have three showers now, WOOHOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

rp wrote: »
    you'll smell better than someone who'd just sat in a car for an hour or more.

Cycling must have been wildly different back then for it to be possible to smell better after cycling than someone who didn't!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ted1 wrote: »
    Secure bike shed with swipe access and about 30 Sheffield stands. 6 showers in the men’s, drying room and a decent size locker.

Previous place had an underground car park, with designated bike area, showers and drying room in the car park
    very similar where i work, albeit with half the number of showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

We moved buildings and things have regressed. This is the height* of cycling facilities. No showers, no changing rooms and about 35 regular cyclists during the summer, less than 10 now.

20170915_173450.jpg

20170915_173325.jpg

Thats right, an unsecured clothes rail in front of the air conditioning extraction fans in an open car park to the public.

* actually after much hullabaloo they removed 1 car space to put in 4 Sheffield stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Where I work I'm the only one that cycles to work. No shower, BUT I do have a store room all to myself! I just have to share it with boxes of cleaning supplies, etc. I have a few hangers on the back of a door and I can dry my clothes on the radiator.

As long as no one else decides to cycle, I'm ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I've never worked in a place with showers, bar a 3 month internship at Accenture.

So shower at home before you cycle and your sweat will be "clean" sweat.. not literally but you won't stink!

Rub your self down with a towel and spray deo liberally.

Get a can of dry shampoo and voila, your hair will be grease-free and smell like elderberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

Surely a 10 year resurrection is a new site record?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Where I work I'm the only one that cycles to work. No shower, BUT I do have a store room all to myself! I just have to share it with boxes of cleaning supplies, etc. I have a few hangers on the back of a door and I can dry my clothes on the radiator.

As long as no one else decides to cycle, I'm ok.

Don't forget the powerhose that you have at your disposal too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Secure underground bicycle car park with approx 200 sheffield stands, shower room with wash facilities and approx 10 to 12 showers, additional changing room, drying room with de-humidifier, and approx 100 temporary and permanent lockers.

Advertisement