Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibood - 500 GB Argosy mobile video HDD HV356T € 159,95

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Mr E wrote: »
    If you have a bit of cash, I recommend the Freecom Network Media Player-350. I'm streaming stuff off my PC wirelessly, and its much handier than dragging the box up and down the stairs every few days to put new stuff on.

Hey Mr. E (Mystery, and whats another names for a mystery? ... Enigma, Mr E Nigma)

I was thinking about getting that particular media player. How do you find the interface? I've read reviews (and some comments on SVP) saying that the player is sluggish and that file transfer is insanely slow. Also, did you ever come across a true NAS media player?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The interface is fine. I had the older freecom player, and its similar. I don't find it sluggish at all (no more sluggish than navigating SKY, for example). The only catch (and it took me a week to figure it out) was to open 4 specific ports on my Eircom router for the wireless connectivity to work.

File transfer via NAS is quick enough, as long as you're doing a couple of files. If you're transferring 20gb, then its better to hook it up to your PC and transfer by USB (which is alot quicker).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭matchthis

External hard drive, not media player :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

rgiller wrote: »
    I've got two HDD movie players: one Argosy and one Storex brand from Pixmania. Link here

The Storex is much better in my opinion: no noise (the Argosy I have can be very loud), better user interface and functionality. Definitely worth the extra tenner. I would recommend it over this IBOOD offer

bought this when the offer was up last and very happy i have to say, for anybody thinking of picking one up the fan is not an issue whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

rgiller wrote: »
    I've got two HDD movie players: one Argosy and one Storex brand from Pixmania. Link here

The Storex is much better in my opinion: no noise (the Argosy I have can be very loud), better user interface and functionality. Definitely worth the extra tenner. I would recommend it over this IBOOD offer

bought this when the offer was up last and very happy i have to say, for anybody thinking of picking one up the fan is not an issue whatsoever!

my xbox 360 fan is about 10 times louder than it...fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leptonite

Hi, just about to order the Argosy but anyone have full specs on the STOREX brand as pixmania has limited details?

The interface is fine. I had the older freecom player, and its similar. I don't find it sluggish at all (no more sluggish than navigating SKY, for example). The only catch (and it took me a week to figure it out) was to open 4 specific ports on my Eircom router for the wireless connectivity to work.

File transfer via NAS is quick enough, as long as you're doing a couple of files. If you're transferring 20gb, then its better to hook it up to your PC and transfer by USB (which is alot quicker).

Thanks a mill for that. Just one more question, about how long are we talking about for transfer for say 1gb over the network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My understanding is that the fan issue was only with the previous generation
    of Argosy drives, I picked up a couple of the newer models a few months
    back from ibood and there is no problem with noise. The upscaling of movies
    to 720p over component is a pretty good feature. I use my 360and PS3 for
    streaming movies across the home wifi when/where situation requires so had
    no need for this feature in a hard-drive player.

• Advertisement

matchthis wrote: »
    External hard drive, not media player :rolleyes:

Yes, but i was replying to a quote for another external HD...

Also, thats the sterling price im afriad. 139euro here. Pity.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20071203.p.500GBExternalHardDrive

The Irish site did say EUR89 for a short while this am...

Linoge wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that. Just one more question, about how long are we talking about for transfer for say 1gb over the network?
    No idea, Linoge. I'll try tonight and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

does anyone have universal remote codes for this?
    Guess whose remote has gone missing presumed binned courtesy of the short chaos demons that live in my house masquerading as sprogs!

About 25 minutes to copy 3 350mb shows using the NAS transfer on the Freecom-350.
    Streaming or USB transfer are your best bet. :)

About 25 minutes to copy 3 350mb shows using the NAS transfer on the Freecom-350.
    Streaming or USB transfer are your best bet. :)

You said it! Thanks for going to the trouble to test that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jimbobwalton

I ordered one but it has not arrived yet!! Got an email last week saying I should have it by the end of last week. Emailed customer support but nothing...Has anyone ordered and received ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Received one this morning.

Thanks Gran , Maybe it will arrive tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sleight of hand

I ordered one but it has not arrived yet!! Got an email last week saying I should have it by the end of last week. Emailed customer support but nothing...Has anyone ordered and received ??

received the following email from them (Ibood.com) today,
    "Thank you very much for your email. We have just checked the status of your order and it turned out that another delay occured: your parcel was dispatched yesterday.

At this moment the parcel is being handled by the DHL and therefore we expect your order to arrive at the end of this week."

hopefully we'll get them before xmas :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I got mine yesterday ... ordered three and they all arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dohertg5

I got the e-mail on Nov 26th regarding the delayed delivery and my order still hasn't arrived. E-mailed them today and they replied saying they sent it today even though they said they were going to send it last tuesday. Really seems like they are just fobbing me off. Me not happy. :(

I got a reply from them saying it was sent a few days ago...then another email appeared saying it was dispatched today!!.. not the greatest customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

fellaws,

have a look-

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/525074/art/storex/club-mpix-355-500-gb-usb.html#fichetechnique

is it a bargain !!
    any first hand experience of this drive !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

fenris wrote: »
    does anyone have universal remote codes for this?
    Guess whose remote has gone missing presumed binned courtesy of the short chaos demons that live in my house masquerading as sprogs!

Sorry to raise a dead thread but it was the only one i could find....

Did anyone manage to get codes for the remotes for these? I appear to have mislaid mine....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

The remote is so bloody tiny too! I live in fear of losing mine :eek: Would be very happy to know there are universal remote codes.

Advertisement