Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibood - 500 GB Argosy mobile video HDD HV356T € 159,95

Options
  • 18-09-2007 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Today's Ibood special.

Would really appreciate some comments from other Argosy owners. Think I read before the unit is noisy? If someone could comment ASAP I would appreciate it to give me time to buy one before they sell out.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/ibood.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

found it noisey alright....i unplugged the fan and all was ok again....

apart from that....its small and compact and does what i want it to...this newer one has a bigger SATA HD, and seems to play higher res divx content, 720p

looks like a good deal....consider this aswell though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

My 160GB (i think) version is very noisey.

Great price though for 500GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Gryzor wrote:
    found it noisey alright....i unplugged the fan and all was ok again....

apart from that....its small and compact and does what i want it to...this newer one has a bigger SATA HD, and seems to play higher res divx content, 720p

looks like a good deal....consider this aswell though

How did you unplug the fan? Does the device get hot with no fan in operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just ordered one, I have been looking out for something like this for a while.
    I was thinking of going the chinavision route, but I cannot find any review that was not made by someone who seems to work at the factory!

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/divx-player-usb-hdd-enclosure-with-display/

BTW has anyone ordered from chinavision before?
    they seem to be the source of a lot of stock for ebay shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You need to open it up to plug out the fan.

Yeah, i was toying with taking it out completely.. but fear overheating (especially as i can watch 3 - 4 hours on it at a time easy!). Anyone re-assure me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I got the 320G version they were doing a while back and it's brilliant. Sure it can get a little noisy but you don't really notice it after you first switch it on. Like the 360, although it's probably not as loud. If you've got a good collection of divx's it makes the sky box more or less obsolete

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

aye, that chinavision looks interesting

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can u record from the TV onto it?

yop wrote:
    Can u record from the TV onto it?
    Nope!

basquille wrote:
    You need to open it up to plug out the fan.

Yeah, i was toying with taking it out completely.. but fear overheating (especially as i can watch 3 - 4 hours on it at a time easy!). Anyone re-assure me?

yep...just take off the back plate, i think, and you'll see the power cable from the fan...just unplug it from the board....

I haven't had any issues since i did it, and it can run for a few hours at a time.....i know its not too scientific , but to the touch, i didnt notice any differance with the fan on or off??? Alot of them don't have fans built in, so i'd say long term it should be fine...

• Advertisement

Gryzor wrote:
    yep...just take off the back plate, i think, and you'll see the power cable from the fan...just unplug it from the board....

I haven't had any issues since i did it, and it can run for a few hours at a time.....i know its not too scientific , but to the touch, i didnt notice any differance with the fan on or off??? Alot of them don't have fans built in, so i'd say long term it should be fine...
    Yeah, i've already taken off the back plate (and voided the warranty) and actually took it out just to look at it.

Didn't even think of unplugging it. Will give it a try temporarily but noticed the outer casing was quite hot last weekend (even with the fan on, after watching it for a few hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

This doesn't upscale any of the files by any chance, does it?

yeah, i have all my movies and other media on my main PC, the argosy is a second copy, so if the drive failed in it, it'd be annoying but not too bad....i wouldn't go tinkering with the fan, unless i had a backup....just on the offchance..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Soarer wrote:
    This doesn't upscale any of the files by any chance, does it?

Never mind.
    Just checked the Argosy site there, and it upscales to 720p.

Sounds pretty sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

Can anybody comment on the quality of hd divx playback?
    Aspect ratio won´t be a problem?
    I had intended streaming from a laptop through to the xbox360 but this would be better hopefully?
    Thanks guys.

the older 320GB model doesn't support HD divx, at least not the files i tried. But the quality of the standard divx files are spot-on...

I'm assuming this is a Divx certified device, seeing as the divx logo is splashed around all over the place??? Then the HD Divx playback should be good?? maybe i'm making too many assumptions....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

patch wrote:
    Can anybody comment on the quality of hd divx playback?
    Aspect ratio won´t be a problem?
    I had intended streaming from a laptop through to the xbox360 but this would be better hopefully?
    Thanks guys.

My reading of the specs is that this does NOT play HD divx. The max input resolution is 720x576 which is standard DVD.

It does say 720p output on component, but this is likely to be upscaled.

I could be wrong but if it really did HD I think they would advertise the fact.

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Re: 720P
    From the manual:
    720P: When connecting to a TV supports high definition video input,
    enabling this option will output a 16:9 up-scaling component video
    format for High Definition displays.
    Enabling this option will make TV DISPLAY / VIDEO OUTPUT
    options disabled, and the DVD/JPEG ZOOM function will also be
    disabled at this mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Does anyone know if this one is any good:
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/589511/art/dane-elec/so-speaky-500-gb-external.html

Its also a 500GB MediaPlayer for €150 from Pixmania.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Mine has just arrived - despite GLS best efforts! (attempted to deliver to the wrong address while stating the wrong name, luckily my neighbour was able to read my name and address on the label and take charge of the package for me!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 buttsoirl

a50fw_new_remote.jpg
    This one doesnt come with a HDD, but I slapped a disk in and used it for a full month on the road, great interface, reads XD cards, CF etc.
    completely silent and cool even after hours of operation.... comes with AVI connections to TV's. you do need to buy a SCART adaptor but this is the best and most compact I have seen and not bad for 62 euro (Cork Store)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?C=Newsletter&U=06P9-2_Comp&ModuleNo=97124&T=12210067

it has
    • Simply install your 3.5-inch hard drive with videos, pictures and music and play them back through your TV
    • View photos on your camera direct from the memory card using the card reader
    • Allows you to enjoy multimedia programs on your TV or monitor
    • Can be used as a standard external hard drive enclosure
    • Easy to use graphical interface
    • Navigate using the included remote control or front panel push buttons
    • Slim portable design
    • Built-in front mount card reader for media play back
    • Cool blue power switch
    • Media leads included
    • Connects to your TV''s AV Ports
    • Video media formats: VCD, (VOB)DVD, MPEG1/2/4, DIVX3.X, DIVX4.X, DIVX5.X
    • Audio media formats: MP3
    • Image media formats: JPEG
    • Media outputs AV / VGA / component
    • Video output NTSC / PAL
    • Supports 3.5 inch IDE hard drives up to 400GB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

I am looking for one of these media drives, and read reviews (in avsforum I think) about certain media drive which can take new firmware thats being maintained by an open source community, and that its pretty good etc. Anyone know where to get one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

buttsoirl wrote:
    a50fw_new_remote.jpg
    This one doesnt come with a HDD, but I slapped a disk in and used it for a full month on the road, great interface, reads XD cards, CF etc.
    completely silent and cool even after hours of operation.... comes with AVI connections to TV's. you do need to buy a SCART adaptor but this is the best and most compact I have seen and not bad for 62 euro (Cork Store)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?C=Newsletter&U=06P9-2_Comp&ModuleNo=97124&T=12210067

it has
    • Simply install your 3.5-inch hard drive with videos, pictures and music and play them back through your TV
    • Slim portable design
    • Cool blue power switch
    • Media leads included

Any thoughts on this one? It's a media player and recorder. Its about €115 instore.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221173&TabID=1&source=1&doy=search

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Is there any enclosures like this that that would fit a SATA drive?

buttsoirl wrote:
    a50fw_new_remote.jpg

it has
    • Slim portable design
    • Cool blue power switch
    • Media leads included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rajeevsa

All, I have an earlier version of the media hard disk HV355
    If i organise my music in folder strcuture i can play only one folder at a time.
    Ideally i would like to create mutilpl playlists (artist, genre, mood etc) and use them. But my version does not support any playlist. I noticed that the new version HDD HV356T supports playlists.

Has anybody been able to upgrade firmware of their existing hard disk HV355 to HDD HV356T. is it even possible ???

thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Back in stock on IBOOD - same price/spec from what I can see.
    Recommend highly (very satisfied owner here).

Actually make that 10 euro cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I've got two HDD movie players: one Argosy and one Storex brand from Pixmania. Link here

The Storex is much better in my opinion: no noise (the Argosy I have can be very loud), better user interface and functionality. Definitely worth the extra tenner. I would recommend it over this IBOOD offer

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you have a bit of cash, I recommend the Freecom Network Media Player-350. I'm streaming stuff off my PC wirelessly, and its much handier than dragging the box up and down the stairs every few days to put new stuff on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Meh heres a 500gb in aldi for €109

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2867_4339.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats not a media player, Fuzzy... its just a hard drive.

Advertisement