Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primetime tonight, 9:30pm RTE1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Conspicuous

You didnt miss much m8. Just a few random figures on the rise of online gamblin in Ireland over the last 3 years, a quick interview with Darragh Thomas and the head bottle washer from the Rutland. No debate with the panel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

They spent too much time talking about how online gambling ruins families and how you can lose your house in a matter of minutes

Sure I'm sitting in the gutter alone as I type!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Van Dice

They spent too much time talking about how online gambling ruins families and how you can lose your house in a matter of minutes

Yes but where is the interview with the guy who won the house?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Damn, I'm so much of a degenerate gambler I was unable to pull myself away from my online poker to watch this. I even had money on how many times the word 'epidemic' would be used in the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bazwin

I see green joker poker got a nice piece of advertising on the programme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

heres a screenshot for those who missed it. HJ clearly uses the latest technology, 16 colours, 640X480res and only a 40% of skin cancer.

niceri3.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭mrflash

As much as i hated switching channels from the only tv show i watch which is Prison Break, i watched this and it was quite tame, but its only the first step in getting something started. I mean the piece in the Star the other day on sports players who had lost big money gambling, and now this. Ireland is known for following the american way of doing things, like a guinea pig for the rest of europe, for instance the smoking ban, and now the online gambling thing is just starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bazwin

playing three or four tables at once is a joke in my opinion....concentrate on one is the only way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

bazwin wrote:
    playing three or four tables at once is a joke in my opinion....concentrate on one is the only way....
    Wtf?Jerry Yang?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

mrflash wrote:
    blah blah blah

FYP..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

lol, you can hardly say the smoking ban was following america.
    Americas reasons for banning online gambling has nothing to do with concern for problem gamblers. It is because the companys are run off-shore and so the gaming industry loses out in the states were gambling is allowed. And other states ban all gambling so were opposed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

yeah it was a bit crap, no substance whatsover.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ZZR1100

Was that everest poker you were playing on or was that just for the programe and so we couldnt see your screen name?
    u need more displays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

A welcome return of the previous primetime shot of the swiping your credit card onto your keyboard in order to play though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭mrflash

Mellor wrote:
    lol, you can hardly say the smoking ban was following america.
    Americas reasons for banning online gambling has nothing to do with concern for problem gamblers. It is because the companys are run off-shore and so the gaming industry loses out in the states were gambling is allowed. And other states ban all gambling so were opposed to it.

Ok firstly, the smoking ban was first introduced in certain cities in america a long time ago and it became law in new york in 2003 and in most other parts of america shortly after that.
    Then came the smoking ban in Ireland.

Secondly, i am aware of the reasons stated by the us government for the ban on deposits to online gaming sites. But that doesn't mean the irish government won't ban it here, stating other reasons. They like to keep up with the yanks and keep them happy. If they ban something nationally, you can be sure the irish government will not be far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

mrflash wrote:
    Ok firstly, the smoking ban was first introduced in certain cities in america a long time ago and it became law in new york in 2003 and in most other parts of america shortly after that.
    Then came the smoking ban in Ireland.

Secondly, i am aware of the reasons stated by the us government for the ban on deposits to online gaming sites. But that doesn't mean the irish government won't ban it here, stating other reasons. They like to keep up with the yanks and keep them happy. If they ban something nationally, you can be sure the irish government will not be far behind.

These points are two of the most incisive pieces I've read of yours here on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

(Paraphrased) "He used to work in an IT job, but decided that computers weren't for him - he now plays online poker...":rolleyes:
    Nice one proime toime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

SumGuy wrote:
    (Paraphrased) "He used to work in an IT job, but decided that computers weren't for him - he now plays online poker...":rolleyes:
    Nice one proime toime

Hahaha classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Haha nice picture sikes, it doesnt do it full justice when its only a small thumbnail.

I have an old massive monitor that im very attached to, I bought it with money from one of my first MTT wins. Ill add another lcd screen when I get round to getting a new desk, im still using the one I used for the leaving cert.

I play on a few different sites, they took shots from a few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭HalfBaked

sikes wrote:
    heres a screenshot for those who missed it. HJ clearly uses the latest technology, 16 colours, 640X480res and only a 40% of skin cancer.

niceri3.th.jpg

LOL. Quality.

• Advertisement

I think I noticed a shot of the Poker Tracker hand replayer too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭BobSloane

Any one ever see that Bill Hicks thing where he was on about an anti-drugs add in america where it was just this down-and-out guy going " I lost my house, my car, my wife, my family - don't do drugs".
    And then Hicks says to himself "Well I sure as hell won't ever do them with you!"
    Think he goes on to say he lost his car once on acid but found it the next day so it was no big deal.

Missed the thing on prime time last night but when ever I hear heavily biased worst-case-scenario scare-mongering about anything it always reminds me of this bill hicks joke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Bollix I missed this, does anyone know if it's possible to watch it on-line anywhere??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Ste05 wrote:
    Bollix I missed this, does anyone know if it's possible to watch it on-line anywhere??

www.rte.ie is where I watched it, connection was questionable though, crashed a few times but I got through it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Flash, your analogy with USA re the smoking ban is correct in many ways.

But you are wrong about gambling. Its always been frowned upon by an influential section of society in America, to the extent that no ambitious national politician would dare turn up at say The Kentucky Derby. It would be the deathknell for their ambitions. (e.g., the Queen of England was guest of honour at Arlington 2 months ago, and whereas normally politicians in America fall over themselves to be seen in the presence of British royalty, this time only local politicians were with her).

Whereas in Ireland, the Taoiseach will nearly always be at the Curragh Derby, the GrandNational etc. A group of cross party politicians can happily go to Cheltenham together, and our biggest political party can pitch a tent at our biggest racing festival without an eyelid being batted.

So the relationship between politicians and the gambling industry is far less hostile here than it is in the USA. And because the online betting industry in Ireland is generally led by B&M bookies (Powers,Ladbrokes,Boyles) who generally get on well with government, then I'd say that an outright ban will 100% never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

First of all, the danger to gambling is nowhere near as bad as it was 18 months ago, when McDowell was on the war-path. He was the one person ruthless enough to change things if he really wanted to.

I thought the piece last night was a bit vague, or aimless, or something. If they were trying to paint HJ as a gambling degenerate (although I don't think they were), then they were wasting their time. The "worst" he said was that he lost 10K one day, but that was after saying that he won 20K another day, and that his earnings are better than double his IT salary. Hardly the picture of Irelands gambling "epidemic".

And that young guy from UCD seemed to be a guy with loads to say, but no figures to back it up. Stereotypical moral viewpoint.

The whole thing was a bit "Meh". Maybe if they had studio debate on it as well, there might have been more point to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Well done Daragh..... you presented yourself very well.... 20k a day did you say?

The programme didn't realy know where it was going I felt. If it was trying to show a gambling problem they picked the wrong guy for it.....

I would be all on for the panel to grill "The Jellyfish" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

How much more did you say to them HJ, or did they show it all?
    I kind of got the impression that they were trying to show that even if you're successful, it's really unsteady (and maybe it is), i.e. up 20k one day, down 10k the next, etc.
    I would assume your results are much steadier than that on average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭mormank

Van Dice wrote:
    Yes but where is the interview with the guy who won the house?!

LOL..on scandinavian tv no doubt, lucky shower of ******!!

Advertisement