Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pondering the legality of cheap fags

Options
  • 14-09-2007 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

As a smoker, I, like most other smokers in the country, am sickened every time I have to fork out €7.05 for 20 fags. I was on holidays in Spain earlier this year and took advantage of the half price Benson available in the tobacconists there. I've also been lucky in that 2 of my close friends have brought back cartons for me from their holidays.

I got to thinking and a quick search brought this site to my attention: Happy Smoker

It seems to be legit; free postage worldwide, security in that you don't have to use a credit card (they accept e-gold, western union etc.) and of course the best thing is the price. The cartons contain 8 packs, therefore 160 fags at a cost of just €13.44 (Marlboro lights).

Seems to be too good to be true and usually these things are. So, does anyone know of any Irish law that would prevent me from using this service?

According to the faq the customer is paying duty in the country where the company operates from.

I certainly wouldn't mind wiring less than the price of 2 packs here to them to give it a go.

Ps, smoking is so cool :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Nice find. AFAIK It's just been made legal, the online selling that is.

Why dont buy without buying and see can you select Ireland on the list...

BTW - There is a thriving Lithuanian/Polski Cigarette industry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Yup, Ireland is in the list, along with every other country known to man! I have yet to come upon these Polski smokes. You'd definitely be straying into illegal territory there anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

As a smoker, I, like most other smokers in the country, am sickened every time I have to fork out €7.05 for 20 fags. I was on holidays in Spain earlier this year and took advantage of the half price Benson available in the tobacconists there. I've also been lucky in that 2 of my close friends have brought back cartons for me from their holidays.

I got to thinking and a quick search brought this site to my attention: Happy Smoker

It seems to be legit; free postage worldwide, security in that you don't have to use a credit card (they accept e-gold, western union etc.) and of course the best thing is the price. The cartons contain 8 packs, therefore 160 fags at a cost of just €13.44 (Marlboro lights).

Seems to be too good to be true and usually these things are. So, does anyone know of any Irish law that would prevent me from using this service?

According to the faq the customer is paying duty in the country where the company operates from.

I certainly wouldn't mind wiring less than the price of 2 packs here to them to give it a go.

Ps, smoking is so cool :cool:
    WOW!
    Thanks mate for the link, Im going to become rich soon! We need more boardies like you.
    I'll make a small fortune.

Benson - Only Menthol.

Benson - Only Menthol.
    Fcuk that sh!t, I wouldn't have them benson_methol in my gaff.
    them marlboro will sell like sweets.
    Im getting 80 packs soon hopefully.

• Advertisement

They seem to have a kick ass affiliate program.

Wonder just when was this made legal, and could this be the new craze?

Benson - Only Menthol.

Yes, indeed it is a major flaw with the site. But hey, beggars can't be choosers! I'd settle for Marlboro at that price. Kinda got used to them at a certain music festival in Laois that I'm not sure if it's promoted by those who shall not be mentioned. Anyway, anyone who was there will remember the Marlboro shops where you had the choice of Marlboro or Marlboro.

Lol, yes one could potentially make a lot of cash, but of course we are all upstanding citizens here on Boards and we would not part take in such "Trotter Trading" -esque matters. ;)

Malboro will do!

Get awful light headed on the benson.

Just spring to mind, will Customs have a field day on this?

Malboro will do!

I always buy online and the chances are simply no!
    Anyway the website says that if you order lets say 300 boxs they will send out seperte boxes with maybe 50 in each to get past customs:cool:

Malboro will do!

Apparently they send each carton as a seperate package, so if you order 10 cartons, they are all sent as individual packages. To the best of my knowledge customs open packages on a random basis. Therefore, I would presume that at best if they weren't happy to let these fags get to you, it'll only be a carton or two they'll get so you're still winning in this scenario. All customs will do is send you a letter saying they seized a package, there wouldn't be any legal action taken.

• Advertisement

Sounds good hope it all works out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Plug wrote:
    I always buy online and the chances are simply no!
    Anyway the website says that if you order lets say 300 boxs they will send out seperte boxes with maybe 50 in each to get past customs:cool:
    Guys, do your homework. Your not going to get the smokes

Fcuking will work out! lol
    I don't smoke but everyone of my freinds do. I'll be selling €4 a box and i'll see them on ebay too:D ye ho!

Flunked wrote:
    Guys, do your homework. Your not going to get the smokes

Explain :cool:

Business Idea Nipped in Bud :(

Why whats wrong?:eek:

Unfortunately I'm a bit broke after paying rent last night so it'll be next week before I can give this a go. :(
    If anyone tries it out be sure to keep us updated on how it worked out!

Unfortunately I'm a bit broke after paying rent last night so it'll be next week before I can give this a go. :(
    If anyone tries it out be sure to keep us updated on how it worked out!

+1 I have no money. :o

Get a job bums!
    Espically you Poblachtach, your finished school and fcuked for college. lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

I searched some reveiws of the site - Nobody has actualy received anything from them and they dont respond to emails

Plug wrote:
    Get a job bums!
    Espically you Poblachtach, your finished school and fcuked for college. lol:D

Excuse me, Iam going to be the boy who made millions from selling menthol fags.

On a serious note I got sorted Iam a bum no more - PLC :(

• Advertisement

I saw comments aswel, they get there fags.

Excuse me, Iam going to be the boy who made millions from selling menthol fags.

On a serious note I got sorted Iam a bum no more - PLC :(
    Is that the polit thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I've used one or two of these companies before. Its a very hit a miss thing sometimes you will get the package other times you get a nice note asking to come and pay the tax (and I think there is some wacky handling fee) which makes them actually more expensive then buying them in Spar.

Best thing is book a cheap flight to Spain or Poland. In spain you will buy a box for around 2.20 in Poland about 1.50

The thing that most people dont know is that there is no limit on the amount of smokes you can bring back (there is some urban myth about it being 4 cartons or something). Anyway you just need to be able to justify that they are for personal use and not for sale. Due to the nature of the product thats pretty easy. On multiple occasions I've walked through customs with 3000 smokes without any problems.

Mind you all said and done I should just give the ****ing things up :/

Is that the polit thing?

The what?

I've used one or two of these companies before. Its a very hit a miss thing sometimes you will get the package other times you get a nice note asking to come and pay the tax (and I think there is some wacky handling fee) which makes them actually more expensive then buying them in Spar.
    I knew it.
    As you say sir, Poland, Lithuania ;)

The what?

I knew it.
    Whats a plc, i thought its something to do with poilting?

Plug wrote:
    Whats a plc, i thought its something to do with poilting?
    Nah. Anyway lets talk about fags shall we :p

This is my last piece of input as I dont wanna get pollaxed by customs/taxed.

Have a look here for a better deal

Well, as I said originally, this sounds like one of those things that is too good to be true. I might give it a go with one carton. Of course Poland is an option but it's the thought of having to get up off my arse and actually do something other than click a little button on a website that is a little off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Nah. Anyway lets talk about fags shall we :p

This is my last piece of input as I dont wanna get pollaxed by customs/taxed.

Have a look here for a better deal
    I whole heartedly support that link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

FREE SMOKES! nearly. giz em. all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ChRoMe wrote:
    The thing that most people dont know is that there is no limit on the amount of smokes you can bring back (there is some urban myth about it being 4 cartons or something). Anyway you just need to be able to justify that they are for personal use and not for sale. Due to the nature of the product thats pretty easy. On multiple occasions I've walked through customs with 3000 smokes without any problems.

Maybe it comes from the days when there was duty free and when there was a limit on the amount you could buy. X per ticket number etc.

Advertisement