Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is taxi Driving a skilled profession???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I suppose it is a part of most self-employed people but taxi drivers are well known for not paying their taxes.

Just because they are not on the revenue defaulter lists doesn't mean they don't default on paying all the tax they owe.

If you have proof that all these taxi drivers are avoiding their legitimate tax payments then it is your duty to report them to the revenue authoritys, of course if you have no proof and are merely bandying insults against the taxi profession then you are obviously a troll and as such are worthy of being ignored.

Might I advise you peruse the tax defaulters list where you would probably find more freelance journalists listed there than taxi drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If you were to be out in the car and buy a sandwich, paper and drink. Would you buy that from money on which income tax has been paid?

If your wife asks you to pick up a few bits and pieces on the way home, do you put it on your debit card or lift it out of your takings for the day?

Taxi drivers have a very loose relationship with taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Spook_ie wrote:
    Might I advise you peruse the tax defaulters list where you would probably find more freelance journalists listed there than taxi drivers

Listen, two wrongs don't make a right.

Funny thing with taxi drivers is that I don't think I have ever met a bad one although I don't use them that often. Every taxi driver I have got has been decent. Some times friends I have been travelling with have been rude and I have been embarrassed for their sake and tried to apologise to the driver. Sometimes personal hygeine leaves a bit to be desired but that does not make them bad people.

But I cannot accept that the majority of taxi drivers are 100% legit in their taxation. You can see taxi drivers in shops pulling out wads of cash to pay for things. Thousands.

Or perhaps buying things before you pay income tax on your earnings is not income tax fraud?

I think taxi drivers just see it as a perk of the job. Like driving up the bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Listen, two wrongs don't make a right.

Funny thing with taxi drivers is that I don't think I have ever met a bad one although I don't use them that often. Every taxi driver I have got has been decent. Some times friends I have been travelling with have been rude and I have been embarrassed for their sake and tried to apologise to the driver. Sometimes personal hygeine leaves a bit to be desired but that does not make them bad people.

But I cannot accept that the majority of taxi drivers are 100% legit in their taxation. You can see taxi drivers in shops pulling out wads of cash to pay for things. Thousands.

Or perhaps buying things before you pay income tax on your earnings is not income tax fraud?

I think taxi drivers just see it as a perk of the job. Like driving up the bus lanes.

Far be it from me to be holier than thou etc etc etc, but this is not really fair. Ultimately, the self employed get to pay their tax once or maybe twice a year if they pre-pay some of it. What matters is that they pay all of it. You appear to be implying that no taxi driver should spend any money at all that they've earned until they've settled with the Revenue Commissioners for the year. For a full time taxi driver, that's rather impractical. It's impractical for all those other self employed people too. In other words, buying stuff before you've paid your income tax - if you are self employed - is not actually income taxi fraud provided you declare all your earnings. Failure to declare is the problem, not actually spending some money you've earned.

Disclosure: not a taxi driver, nor self employed.

On the substantive issue of whether taxi driving is a skilled occupation or not, I'm minded to close this thread. It hasn't - from what I can see - been constructive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement