Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Field Archery in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Hi all,

Just an update on how the field season is going. We're pretty active this year trying to get qualifications for the European Champs in France. We have already picked up some medals: At the Buttercup shoot in Castlewellan, Mac took gold in the compound, and Colm took bronze in the recurve. The Ron Bell Memorial shoot took place in Ballywater, with Mac taking second position.

At home, Woodbrook hosted a combined double arrowhead in Dargle Valley (always fun :D), the results of which can be seen here: http://www.archery.ie/14150309.pdf

BTW, the new scores for the X=6 arrowheads are here: http://www.gnasfield.co.uk/arrowheadscores2009.htm

Last weekend we went on a bit of a road trip to Dearne Valley in Doncaster in the UK for a shoot. Here, Niamh took the bronze in the barebow and many of the archers set new Irish records and took new arrowheads - a list of all the Irish competitors are below as well as those who broke records and took arrowheads. Special congrats to Niall who took a Silver arrowhead - the second highest possible!

Dearne Valley Squad
    Name (Class, Club) Records Gained Arrowhead Gained
    Rohan O'Duill (Recurve, Woodbrook)
    Niall Doyle (Recurve, Woodbrook) - New Marked and Unmarked Records - Silver
    Joe Gill (Recurve, NUIG) Black
    Dave Kenific (Recurve, Woodbrook) White
    Brian O'Moore (Recurve, DCU) Grey
    Colm Griffin (Recurve, Woodbrook)
    Niamh Bhreathnach (Barebow, NUIG) - New Marked Record White
    Suzanne O'Hare (Recurve, Dublin Archers) - New Marked, Unmarked and 2x Arrowhead records Brown
    Deirdre Lennon (Recurve, NUIG) Green
    Macdara Glynn (Compound, NUIG)
    John Smith (Compound, Drewstown) - New Marked Record White
    Harry Lyster (Compound, Woodbrook) Grey

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

A big thank you is due to Rohan who organized the trip.

Not easy with 13 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mugs

Hi,

Just Wonderin does anyone know where the dunbrody Archers meet on Tuesday evenings. I made contact earlier in the year but never managed to get down and can't remember where they meet.:o

Just an FYI,

Rohan, Niall and Rob (all of Woodbrook Archers) have all qualified (well!) for the FITA World Field Champs in Hungary. They are heading over in a week and I'm sure they will do amazingly well judging by the training they have been putting in and the current scores they have been logging.

As they represent a barebow (Rohan), a recurve (Niall) and a compound (Rob), they can actually enter into the team competition as well as the individuals - this is a first for Ireland.

Best wishes to all three and feel free to post any comments and good vibes to the lads here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 saddlesore

just to let you know there will be a new club starting in waterford over the next few months ,it will be affilliated ti IFAF,. it will be field hunter sbg archery not target

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

it will be field hunter sbg archery not target

Out of curiousity, why limit potential members?

Our club is mixed with target and field, and field archers partake in both codes.

Personally, archery is about putting an arrow where you want it to go- the target is just a target, and a means of avoiding a long walk (doesn't always pan out like that though).

Good luck with your venture.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Hi Greysides,
    i am all for target archery and have been allocated a woods to use and even tho it has potential for a 90mt range,it more suited to Field.Also i found over the last few years that field archery is a lot more popular with families.Buy i will never say never and if the club grows and it can be affiliated to both IAAA and IFAF,then there is great hope.
    Thanks for your reply

saddlesore wrote: »
    just to let you know there will be a new club starting in waterford over the next few months ,it will be affilliated ti IFAF,. it will be field hunter sbg archery not target

Best of luck with the new club. We would love to have some new field courses about the place, if we could convince ye to host a FITA Field at anytime as well as a hunter there would be a lot of interest.

Best of luck!

PS, whats the name of the club? I'll add it to the list of clubs here if you want with contact details.

Hi all just letting you know about a new field archery club in Waterford city,. they go by the name Na Laoch Dall,
    www.nalaochdall.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vegaskev

hi, im living in clane co kildare. i sent an email to a guy from a aclubin leixlip but got no reply. just wondering where my nearest club might be so i can go and have a chat with some people...

• Advertisement

Hi Kev the nearest club to you i think is IAC contact Eric at 360ek@diginet.ie. He will be able to help you out. also check out /www.irishfieldarchery.com/ in the menu on the left you will find "find a club" . Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

saddlesore wrote: »
    Hi Kev the nearest club to you i think is IAC contact Eric at 360ek@diginet.ie. He will be able to help you out. also check out /www.irishfieldarchery.com/ in the menu on the left you will find "find a club" . Best of luck

Also look for "Irish Archery Club" on facebook, or http://www.irishfieldarchery.com/clublinks/iac.html

We have our normal course near castletown , but we occasionally set up in different woods ,just to keep things different,and keep the shooting fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Our training ground is in Rathin woods in Kildare.

We meet up there every wednesday evening, and in case of rain we have a 60 yard long shed we can use for indoor shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone know if there are any clubs in Tipperary or limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

anyone know if there are any clubs in Tipperary or limerick?

user "greysides" posted this link a few days ago when I was asking
    about Archery in Limerick area:
    http://www.lmkyeomen.com/

Hoping to try/start archery myself in the near future so hopefully
    can get to meet a few people and get a few lessons out in UL in the next
    few weeks.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Clooney George

By the way, all the facts I've published here so far has been worried with FITA Area Archery. I know very little about I.F.A.A. field archery, but if anyone engaged in IFAA or IFAF want to publish facts here then experience free!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bobster453

Hi All,
    Any Archery Clubs around Clonmel Cahir etc where I could start, I know there is one in Waterford but bit far to travel, or is anyone who knows what they are doing interested in starting one in Clonmel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

The nearest clubs to Clonmel are Na Laoch Dall in Waterford, Dunbrody in New Ross or Warbow in Kilkenny. You would only be travelling to your club maybe once a week, so distance shouldn't really put you off. You would be travelling to the other clubs around the country for the shoots anyway.

Here is a map of all the IFAF clubs in Ireland:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114204819476288876341.0004696f3ff5494b0748b&ll=53.501117,-7.459717&spn=4.60148,9.887695&source=embed

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bobster453

Excellent, thanks for that, must check out the one in Kilkenny

• Advertisement
Advertisement