Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan on Newstalk now.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Her blog with unbeleivable !!!!!
    http://www.techno-culture.com/?p=78
    Make some comments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

watty wrote:
    Her blog with unbeleivable !!!!!
    http://www.techno-culture.com/?p=78
    Make some comments!!

She deleted my comment...it was fair and accurate! No name calling or personal attacks at all (From my point of view). Watty I must see you in action on this blog! As well as Damien. If either of you are posting on it already what names are you under?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Mine was deleted/moderated too. So I posted a screenshot here.

You know I wouldn't have gotten sensationalist about this had she not qualified how right she was by pointing out her journalistic qualifications but it is really sad to see an Irish Times journalist delete comments and smother free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭jmcc

mike65 wrote:
    As for demand, its true that apparent demand is low hardly a shock when you consider no more than about 50% of households have a 'pooter about the place however that does'nt excuse institutional failings by the legacy provider and the regulator.
    What irritates me is that comment about dialup access demand. The cost of dialup internet access demand, without it being a flatrate local call, was pure extortion. But then only a handful of people really know the history of internet access in Ireland. It was such a small industry at the time, largely developed out of the dialup bulletin boards, that almost everyone knew each other.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Wow I'm pretty dam irritated now, I posted a polite and well written comment and it was deleted because she disagreed with it. Shows the sort of journalist she really is.

edit- after making another less polite comment my original comment suddenly re-appeared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's quite evident from her Irish Times articles, her radio appearances, and her blog that she doesn't have a clue. I'd say the thing to do is to just ignore her and hope that she goes away.

That said, maybe she has a point. If someone who knows so little about technology can have a number of media companies looking for her journalistic output, it doesn't say much about the readers or listeners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

mike65 wrote:
    As for demand, its true that apparent demand is low hardly a shock when you consider no more than about 50% of households have a 'pooter about the place however that does'nt excuse institutional failings by the legacy provider and the regulator.

Thats a MYTH Mike, its at least 60% of homes not counting homes with networkable devices like the XBox as well.

It was 56% in April 2006 when we had the census.....just like I predicted it WOULD be .

Damien addressed it well here based on stats published here.

As for me I am sick of talking about it :(

I was recently shocked that almost everyone that signed up to a recently launched more than 3G /HSDPA service went for the Router option. i.e. they want it as fixed broadband.

I know only a couple of people using 3G/HSDPA for mobile, most seem to want it as an alternative to dialup or even ripwave.

To me that is evidence of a supply issue, not a demand problem.

The WiFi is a red herring. Range of WiFi is limited, some may not be compatible with Apple, some are off, some have no SSID and most Fixed Wireless, Cable, 2 way Satellite and 3G/HSDPA users don't have WiFi.

Personally I don't count HSDPA, Ripwave and 2way Sat as broadband. However maybe 99% of those represent people that WOULD have real broadband if it was available.

watty wrote:
    Personally I don't count HSDPA, Ripwave and 2way Sat as broadband. However maybe 99% of those represent people that WOULD have real broadband if it was available.

You are quite right watty. Contention and latency make all of them dialup substitutes not broadband. ....I would include Clearwire too.

Karlin would appear not to understand why these are issues :(

Ireland had the highest per capita PS/2 takeup but with lowest in world takeup of the PS/2 ethernet option for Internet. Which only works sensibly with Broadband.

There is no shortage of people even today to do PS/2 network games with. But not many are in Ireland as it is harder to get the network adaptor and people buying Wii or Xbox360 or DS etc instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

All this thread will do is inflate her sense of self importance.

She has proven her worth, theres obviously no argueing with her so why not leave her in her fantasy world. She is certainly not entertaining any debate that challenges her paradigm so why bother

As Blaster99 put it the best thing is to forgot all about her and write her off. Someone asked how did this person end up being a tech journo - easy - the people who hired her know less then she does?

We all know shes completely wrong Her blog is full of nonsense...

She seemed to want to talk more about bicycle trading anyway then the issues at hand - it was the stage in the interview when she really came to life - or cooing as it may be called

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Well you don't have to post about Karlin in this thread. Eamonn Ryan is equally complicit in that shoddy interview. Eamonn Ryan knows well that IrelandOffline didn't campaign ferociously for a few years for no reason, no matter what his advisors might say. Those same advisors also read this forum, and probably still do.

I suggest that if Eamonn wants to keep the credibility he had before taking the cabinet seat, then he can start approaching broadband consumers in this country with more honesty and openness.

Even if he's in Government with Fianna Fáil, he doesn't have to treat the public like fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Thats a MYTH Mike, its at least 60% of homes not counting homes with networkable devices like the XBox as well.

Fair enough I pulled that stat out of my ass based on the last survey I could recall. ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Karlin adds more fuel to her own fire and now denies she ever said coverage was at 90% but thanks to Mike, we have the mp3 and transcript that says otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Enough.

karlin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

How can we put enough pressure on the masses to get the required broadband available?

We need to educate people on the benefits of broadband. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a word to the wise, while I'm sure a few copies of the mp3 are snuggled away on hard-drives the file itself will destruct if its not been accessed for a certain period. So any linkage will be borked at some point.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭clohamon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

If Communications wasnt lumped uselessly in with Energy and Natural resources, you might have a different idea of Eamonn Ryan.

Well, actually, thats a bit simplictic.

You wouldnt pay the remotest attention to Eamonn Ryan.
    I agree he isnt much use on the Comms agenda, which is unacceptable.
    But what kind of mentalism is putting Comms in with Energy and natural resources? Anyhow while you are slamming Ryan please bear in mind, if only a little bit, that he is doing some great work in energy. Not in natural resources as much as I can see.

• Advertisement

Had I bought a bicycle off Ryan I could be on the RTE Authority too , eh !!

We have the most expensive gas AND the most expensive Electricity in Europe, great work that indeed .

Wood stove and Insulation schemes that benefit consultants more than the Public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

d'Oracle wrote: »
    If Communications wasnt lumped uselessly in with Energy and Natural resources, you might have a different idea of Eamonn Ryan.

Well, actually, thats a bit simplictic.

You wouldnt pay the remotest attention to Eamonn Ryan.
    I agree he isnt much use on the Comms agenda, which is unacceptable.
    But what kind of mentalism is putting Comms in with Energy and natural resources? Anyhow while you are slamming Ryan please bear in mind, if only a little bit, that he is doing some great work in energy. Not in natural resources as much as I can see.

His agenda is bound to his now famous utterance that his agenda is "you must believe me". That was in response to a technical question too. The last person to trot out that kind of stupid rhetoric was the now dead Archbishop (McQuaid).

So is Eamon the archbishop of green?
    The bishop of woodpellets?
    The pastor of insulation?

bealtine wrote: »
    His agenda is bound to his now famous utterance that his agenda is "you must believe me". That was in response to a technical question too. The last person to trot out that kind of stupid rhetoric was the now dead Archbishop (McQuaid).

So is Eamon the archbishop of green?
    The bishop of woodpellets?
    The pastor of insulation?

Im having trouble making out what it is that you are saying......

Are you questioning the value of energy conservation?

watty wrote: »
    Wood stove and Insulation schemes that benefit consultants more than the Public.

No.

But go ahead and believe that if you want to.
    You obviously do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I can't pretend to know what the hell is going on here. Given that there's been no discussion that is remotely related to IrelandOffline since 2007, thread is closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement