Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan on Newstalk now.

Options
  • 03-09-2007 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

er not actually now, after Reg Empey :) edit after married priests discussion. :mad: Richard Aldiss lies.

www.newstalk.ie click listen now.

Should be interesting.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was muck. Karlin Lillington was present and proved as useful as a kitten facing a T-Rex. I edited the last 5 mins as it was pure off-topic waffle.

Excuse one or two break ups due to a slow line.

3.4 mb mp3

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

:confused:, I am not encouraged :confused: and as for Karlin :(

Especially this bit of hers "I have known Eamonn for a few years and so we have banged around ....." about 9 mins 15 secs in :(

I found the two of them were a dead loss, south Dublin fluff for the most part . Gahhhhhhhh !

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Karlin did nothing for this, and Eamon being a "friend" of hers, from whom she bought a bicycle. Wasn't a debate, just Eamon talking, and Karlin cooing.

She bought the shaggin bicycle at 9:30 seconds in , I thought one should start listening just before there and then wind right back to see what the other 9 mins was about before that :(

I have never heard or expected to hear such inconsequential clueless waffle from

1. someone who shadowed dempsey and before him Ahern for 5 years and should know something about the ministry and the live issues he inherited .

2. a journalist with 10 years 'experience' in tech issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Eamon Ryan is a ****ing liar. Talk about selling your soul. Duplicitous weasel.

• Advertisement

Back in the days when IoffL existed and Eamonn was in opposition I take it that he may have made a few 'promises' Damien ??

Do reminisce my dear chap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

damien.m wrote:
    Eamon Ryan is a ****ing liar. Talk about selling your soul. Duplicitous weasel.
    I concur, obviously.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Back in the days when IoffL existed and Eamonn was in opposition I take it that he may have made a few 'promises' Damien ??

Reread the tealeaves there SB. I was commenting on the lies he repeatedly told during that interview. Past promises, if there ever were any do not come into it.

10% is wrong , obviously, but thats the scope of the contract that Dempsey put out

It struck me that Ryan and Lillington were completely out of their depths , not that they were being in some way mendacious .

What bits clanged in your ear Damien ??...apart from the Bicycle of course :p

Karlin telling listeners that she thinks there's not enough demand, that the stats are wrong really and how her and Eamo were thinking there is a better way to measure stats i.e. Make her dinner buddy look better. Or Karlin thinking broadband really is cheap and the insinuation people should get over the pricing. Eamo using the old geography excuse, the cable excuse and every other excuse from the greasy excuse boxes that Dempsey use to fumble lies out of.

Eamon was not out of his depth, he was just telling outright lies. Karlin was suffering from Stockholm syndrome though.

• Advertisement

I am still minded to think that Eamonn is simply clueless. I am further minded to think that he has no capacity for learning the issue either, he shadowed comms for 5 years.

Exhibit A

http://www.rte.ie/news/elections2007/debate/

Martin Kavanagh: Why are the Govt so anxious to push broadband? I have it and don't find it useful at all, my kids only use it for chatting. It isn't the future we have been promised.
    Eamon Ryan: I think it is going to be part of the future and that is why everyone is pushing for it. One of various futures is the integration of broadcasting and communications. I am now paying for my fixed line, my mobile and my broadband 30 euros each - that is a shocking expense at the end of the day. We should be integrating those into one bill. Mobile, broadcasting, internet access. It's going to be cheaper and a better experience for the customer. Even five years from now it will be very different. Five years ago most didn't use email. This is changing rapidly. In five years time we will have digital television, which will be available over broadband, we will make phone calls over the internet. the world is going in that direction and we should not lose out.

same waffle as yesterday to some extent
    Aoife Byrne: When will Ireland have 100% broadband availability?

no answer.
    Bryan Corden: Do any of the parties have plans to make computer technology a subject in the Leaving Certificate

Eamon Ryan: A lot of our education is back in the last century in what we teach, many children have special needs and we should recognise that they may be better suited to learning with computers. Let's be flexible and say a child with dyslexia for example would be better with a computer. Increasingly you need to access information, trust it, judge it and use it. Our system needs to get away from learning by rote. That's out of date education, you need to know how to use information.

Dempsey :eek: looks statesmanlike in his answers compared to Ryan. :eek:

Exhibit B

In de Dail July 3

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20070703.xml&Ex=All&Page=45
    600. Deputy Margaret Conlon Information Zoom asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Information Zoom the position regarding the timeframe and the extension of broadband services to those parts of County Monaghan that are not broadband enabled at the moment. [18950/07]

Eamonn took his civil servants guff .
    The provision of telecommunications services, including broadband, is a matter for the companies operating in a fully liberalised market, regulated, where appropriate, by the independent Commission for Communications Regulation, ComReg. The role of the Government is to implement regulatory and infrastructure policies to facilitate the provision of high quality telecommunications services, by competing private sector service providers.

It continues to be a priority of the Government that there will be broadband coverage across the entire country. In that regard my Department has undertaken initiatives to address the gaps in broadband coverage. These include providing grant-aid under the recently concluded Group Broadband Scheme (GBS) and investment in Metropolitan Area Networks (MANs) in over 120 towns and cities under the Regional Broadband Programme. GBS projects were approved for the Lough Egish and Iniskeen areas. These projects are now operational and providing a broadband service in those areas. Twenty-seven MANs have been completed under the first phase and are currently being managed by ENet, the Managed Services Entity.

Under the first phase of the MANs programme the following Monaghan towns have received broadband infrastructure: Clones, Castleblayney, Monaghan Town, Carrickmacross. Despite Government investment in broadband in the regions through the Regional Broadband Programme, there are still some parts of the country where the private sector will be unable to justify the commercial provision of broadband connectivity. The procurement process for the Government’s new National Broadband Scheme (NBS) was launched on 2 May 2007. This scheme will provide broadband services to the areas of Ireland that are currently unserved and ensure that every reasonable request for broadband in these unserved areas is met. The estimated timescale for the award of the NBS contract is December 2007, with rollout of the services due to begin as soon as possible thereafter, subject to agreement with the chosen Service Provider.

Crap . Liberalised me hole .
    602. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan Information Zoom asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Information Zoom the extent, nature and status of communications, discussions or exchange of views, he has had with groups or bodies under the aegis of his Department since his election to the 30th Dáil as a Minister; the outcome of such discussions and at whose volition these took place; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [19073/07]

answers eamonn ( he was over 2 weeks in the job)
    . I met the Chairperson and CEO of the ESB on 20th June. I also attended, and addressed briefly, the meeting of the Irish Energy Research Council on 20th of June 2007. I attended a Sustainable Energy Ireland social function on 21st of June. I met with the Chairperson of the RTÉ Authority on 26th June 2007. Finally, I attended a social function to mark the tenth anniversary of the establishment of the Commission for Communications Regulation on 27th June.

So in all that time he had a beer with Comreg , and thats it . But Durkan pressed on :D
    604. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan Information Zoom asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Information Zoom the degree to which he has had discussions, communications or an exchange of views with the service providers or others in the telecommunications field since his appointment as a Minister; the result of such discussions in the context of improved telecommunications, broadband availability and bringing this country to the fore in terms of the availability of state of the art information technology; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [19075/07]

he divulged a bit more.
    Since my appointment I have met with BT Ireland in order to familiarise myself with the communications sector and issues of interest to service providers. This is part of an ongoing series of meetings with all the major players in the sector. In addition I also attended a social function to mark the tenth anniversary of the establishment of the Commission for Communications Regulation.

If Eamonn carries on like this the GREENS will be wiped out in the next general election , mark my words.

Oh and this observation from over 2 months back is not incorrect either

http://www.mulley.net/2007/07/01/regulatory-capture-green-minister-completely-sells-out/

01 July .
    Being away all week I missed this, but Via Adrian Weckler is news that Eamonn Ryan is now being run by his civil servants who say everything is fine in broadband Ireland. It is a shame that a party I gave my vote to is now signing off on lies that they once called shenanigans on. Between this and kissing the ass of corrupt ComReg in the same week it really angers me. At least with Fianna Fail, you knew they’d carry on doing what they did which was nothing. That’s not hypocrisy. A Green Minister now copying and pasting from previous statements by Noel Dempsey after complaining so much

I’ve been told that Minister Ryan used to read my blog along with other Green TDs. Here’s the story to any of you folks who still do. Irelandoffline might be gone but I will happily monitor all press releases and statements and point out to my press list the utter hypocrisy of your new statements.

Go Damien :p

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Sponge Bob wrote:
    .....If Eamonn carries on like this the GREENS will be wiped out in the next general election , mark my words.....

SB, I think you'll find that from previous examples of the ineptitude of the Irish electorate, (the present/last/previous goverment (sic)), if the Green party carry on like this, they'll be the second biggest party in the state come the next election!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭jmcc

The more things change, the more they remain the same? The strange thing is that people expect them to change.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Post of the thread goes to jmcc! Did anyone really believe Ryan would criticise ComReg in public? Does anyone really believe that he has any real power, or that he would have any real power? It's a Fianna Fail-led government. They are in charge. That leaves very little scope for deviation from the FF party line, for Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

He's responsible for his department. If he doesn't deliver, then he's at fault.

Eamon Ryan has always struck me as a complete waffler so his radio performance didn't surprise me. He was better than Karlin what's-her-name who was unbearable.

Consummate bull**** artist, always has been. Look at his face ffs, if he was any more smug George Bush'd be looking for lessons.

Waits to see picture of Mr A Beecher :)

Mike.

cgarvey wrote:
    Does anyone really believe that he has any real power, or that he would have any real power? It's a Fianna Fail-led government. They are in charge. That leaves very little scope for deviation from the FF party line, for Ryan.

We can be as cynical as we want and point out that politics is politics but if we keep thinking that about every politician we might as well stop voting and break out the rifles from behind the bathroom walls. Ryan is the Minister and unless he is being micromanaged by Bertie he can do a lot of good. God knows the royal ****ups by the other Ministers are let go on.

Also remember it was the Green Party who kept on pointing out that they had the highest standards of any party and everyone else should be held to these higher standards. Were this Dempsey, I think there'd be less of an outcry because he doesn't go about talking about what a saint he was and daz white clean. Ryan and his ilk have said so about themselves so I think I'm happy to complain loudly about what a snake he is. And besides, I still think Ryan is not beyond redemption and so am just helping the lad to get back on the path of honesty. The more people help Evil Eamon to help himself by pointing out his hypocrises, the better for everyone.

mike65 wrote:
    Waits to see picture of Mr A Beecher
    I'm so cute you'd spend the rest of your life looking at kittens and puppies just to keep the buzz. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭jmcc

dahamsta wrote:
    I'm so cute you'd spend the rest of your life looking at kittens and puppies just to keep the buzz. ;)
    Or as psychological therapy to get over the shock. :)

Regards...jmcc

Pity you can't put URLs in Google Fight. :)

karlin apparently thinks the literally thousands of people who contacted IrelandOffline over the years are living in an altenate universe and they can get broadband. She didn't like when I called her an apologist it seems and me and others who bash the Government do not understand the nuances of what the real problem is, which is the people are at fault because they don't want broadband: http://www.techno-culture.com/?p=78

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Oh my...

damien.m wrote:
    Ryan is the Minister and unless he is being micromanaged by Bertie he can do a lot of good.

I would assume he is being tightly managed, to avoid costs and political consequences. For instance, he's not going to be allowed to abolish ComReg anytime soon (because that would look bad on Fianna Fail), he's not going to be changing the NBS reach by much (implies FF got it wrong), he's not going to changing much in the MANs (too much FF money in there now!). So what can he do, that FF wouldn't mind him doing? Not a whole lot, I'd imagine, especially as finances are a whole lot tighter these days. Now, he didn't have to lick ComReg ass on day 3 in the office, granted, but that's on a different scale in the greater scheme of things. Now, of course the Greens promised the world, and of course they're not going to be able to approach realising most of those, but that's no different to any other minority party in a FF government.

So what can he do, that he'll be let do?

So she read this thread then!

Its a fact that failing to raise a metaphorical eyebrow while in company of "minister for telecoms" undermines Lillingtons credibiliy as an independent journalist and does'nt actually do him or us any favours.

As for demand, its true that apparent demand is low hardly a shock when you consider no more than about 50% of households have a 'pooter about the place however that does'nt excuse institutional failings by the legacy provider and the regulator.

Mike.

Might have been this too Mike.

link fixed as censor does not like the word **** in a url.

Karlin did indeed sound well out of depth. Personally I don't like her, because she never demonstrates enough knowledge on a given topic. However, I know an awful lot of people who love her work, and that's because of the very reason I don't. She's less technical. So non-techs love hearing the latest iPhone stuff, without getting in to EDGE/UMTS modems.

However, having only started to listen to her a bit on Newstalk, I've noticed a few worrying inaccuracies. The iPhone was one such thing. Over a week after the full tech-spec was released I recall her mentioning it had the ability to locate where you were on the Google Map (the sentence after the mention of GPS).

However, the article linked above is just plain worrying. Aside from the hypocritial response to hissy-fits, there are some wild assumptions (like everyone who has broadband has a wireless AP with a broadcast SSID?? WTF!). The tone of her post is that anyone that points out that supply is a problem is a whinger (and there certainly is an element of that). However she offers no insight beyond that, other than nameless people who work behind the scenes know better.

90% my ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

How can this woman, if she is so bloody knowledgable, state the following on her blog

"The big issue is not coverage any longer, folks. The really, really big issue here is that MOST people still do not WANT broadband. " - interesting (her emphasis)

I'm listening to the recording for the first time now and to be honest Im just feeling angry - and I'm cringing listening to her:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement