Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

penalty points and ticket question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

maoleary wrote:
    Oh God,....not you too!!!!

HAT NOT NEEDED!!!

I was been sarcastic hence the confused smilie

Now hang on a minute can you get points from simply driving in the overtaking lane. I think you would have to do a bit more to earn points and a bolloxing. Come on Nillox tell us what the letter she got says what was she really doing to annoy the Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

kearnsr wrote:
    You want the guards to say please sir madame excuse me?

Yes, actually. It's not too much to ask from a public servant, or indeed any human being. And in fairness, most Gardai are courteous in most situations.

kearnsr wrote:
    While the guards are the front line of the law they arent there to be nice to criminals. They have to deal with pure scum so dont expect etiquette to be their to priority. If you dont break the law you wont have to worry about crying.

Unless the OP has left something considerable out of his story, I wouldn't classify a lane hogger as a 'criminal' or 'pure scum'. And the Gardai aren't there to punish or berate criminals, or anyone else, either. That's the job or the courts. In most situations, unless you give them lip, I don't see why courtesy or even detached matter-of-factness shouldn't be in order.

That said, the Garda could have said something fairly innocuous that made her cry, so he didn't necessairily do anything wrong. And, given that she was in the wrong, she should take her points/fine and chalk it down to experience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

endplate wrote:

Now hang on a minute can you get points from simply driving in the overtaking lane. I think you would have to do a bit more to earn points and a bolloxing. Come on Nillox tell us what the letter she got says what was she really doing to annoy the Garda

I think thats the point thats been made already that we arent getting the whole story

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

kearnsr wrote:
    I think thats the point thats been made already that we arent getting the whole story

I didn't think the question was been asked directly enough so I threw it out there as the topic has gone into how a Garda should behave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I think it's sad where a grown man makes a lady cry btw.

Absolutely agree, not needed at all. I suppose even Guards get upset when they see crazy muppetry on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

the guard wasnt wearing his hat, im wondering do these things count?? can we complain and get something done??
    well if the officer is not in uniform (includes not wearing a hat) and does not identify himself we are legally obliged to not co-operate if we dont want to, but he had the car so ill forget bout that.
    What! He wasn't wearing his hat? I hope you got his number, he is proper fcuked.

ahahahahahahahahaha I missed this thread yesterday somehow, so thanks lads for the best laugh I've had so far today, didn't expect it to come from Motors :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

With regard to herself crying, why would a grown person start crying? Should the garda change their stance purely because the waterworks are flowing?
    I nor anyone else were there and I suspect that the OP or their g/f has been slightly economical with the story. A garda doesn't suddenly storm up and start shouting and even if they do, thats no reason to burst into tears.
    My point is, would the same respect be shown to a man who starts crying? Should additional respect be shown to anyone who starts crying when caught breaking the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

If you read the rules of the road it does clearly state that the right lanes are for overtaking.
    You need to understand where a lot of these comments are coming from.
    If you search some previous posts (my own included) you'll see that slow drivers in the passing lane (blocking traffic behind them and possibly creating the ingredients to an accident) are near the top in the list of 'worst drivers'.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

Failure to drive on the left hand side of the road is 1 point and €60 fine.

Not meaning to be a jerk, but you haven't said anything about what other traffic was on the road. Was she the only car on the motorway at the time?
    Mistakes happen and if she didn't know these were the rules, then its time to read the manual that was sent to every address. It is easy toilet reading.

IMO, I wish they would pull over more vehicles doing this. I nearly drove 'through' someone on the M50 the other day. 120km/h and some idiot decides to pass another car at the very fast speed of 80km/h. Some people shouldn't be driving period....much less on the motorway.

I will agree that she should have been treated better, and not have been shouted at. As well, I think the traffic enforcement here need to do a much better job at informing the offender the amount of points incurred and the fine. (All they have to do is print out the same page from link above and keep it in the patrol cars. It would go a long way for public relations)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

phutyle wrote:
    Yes, actually. It's not too much to ask from a public servant, or indeed any human being. And in fairness, most Gardai are courteous in most situations.

Unless the OP has left something considerable out of his story, I wouldn't classify a lane hogger as a 'criminal' or 'pure scum'. And the Gardai aren't there to punish or berate criminals, or anyone else, either. That's the job or the courts. In most situations, unless you give them lip, I don't see why courtesy or even detached matter-of-factness shouldn't be in order.

That said, the Garda could have said something fairly innocuous that made her cry, so he didn't necessairily do anything wrong. And, given that she was in the wrong, she should take her points/fine and chalk it down to experience.

The Gardai are public servants but they arent working the service industry.

As some one else has said already how can and adult be made to cry? Seriously as an adult you should be able to deal with the consequences of your actions. If you cant deal with them dont make sure you dont put your self in a situation were a garda might have to shout at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

contest the points if you want, but beware. your girlfriend did break the rules of the road, there is no denying that. therefore the fact is that she committed a road traffic offence. the fact that the garda may have been rude to her is a separate issue and will be taken up as such. when you contest the points however, your girlfriend will be found guilty of the offence and given more penalty points than if she accepted it now.

and again, to re-iterate the point many others have made. Fast lane = muppetry, Garda not wearing hat = muppetry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

kearnsr wrote:
    Were have you seen the signs?
    If you dont care your wrong why arent you taking on board what people are telling you? You just dont seem to want to accept that you (your gf) were was in the wrong and you are trying to worm your way out of it
    That's "where" and "you're". Thanks

kbannon wrote:
    I nor anyone else were there and I suspect that the OP or their g/f has been slightly economical with the story. A garda doesn't suddenly storm up and start shouting and even if they do, thats no reason to burst into tears.
    I can imagine they would from time to time. My sister was screamed and shouted at for going 130kph in the right hand lan on the M1. He also said she would be getting a fine and points but they never came through.
    When I was 16 I jumped a red light a couple of seconds before it went green ona push bike. 1 motorbike cop and 2 in a van and another 2 on foot it took to deal with it. The cop who saw it happen shouted and screamed at me, threatened to kick the **** out of me and gave me abuse because I went to a fee paying school and also made remarks about my father. There are asshole cops out there. FACT

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

maybe so but if you read the end of my quoted text, did you burst into tears?

Only when I got home.

Advertisement