Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

penalty points and ticket question

Options
  • 29-08-2007 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

couple of weeks back my girlfriend was pulled over for not driving on the left, and was shouted at till she cried by the guard.
    today she got a ticket and penalty points in the mail.
    she was never told about any of these things and the guard wasnt wearing his hat, im wondering do these things count?? can we complain and get something done??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

nillox wrote:
    couple of weeks back my girlfriend was pulled over for not driving on the left, and was shouted at till she cried by the guard.
    she was never told about any of these things and the guard wasnt wearing his hat, im wondering do these things count?? can we complain and get something done??
    What! He wasn't wearing his hat? I hope you got his number, he is proper fcuked.

MrP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nillox wrote:

Are you serious?

She deserves everything she gets if she doesnt know what side of the road she was meant to be driving on.

No hat my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Get a life, I mean she was driving on the wrong side of the road?

Lord help us with people like that on the road. Their a danger to themselves and to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭nillox

i ment the left lane, there was 3 lanes. she was in the right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Theres only two lanes you. The others the hard shoulder!

• Advertisement

well were on the motor way/link road, so there were 3 lanes for both directions. all i want to know is do they have to tell u if ur getting the ticket or not

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

No hat no ticket:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nillox wrote:
    well were on the motor way/link road, so there were 3 lanes for both directions. all i want to know is do they have to tell u if ur getting the ticket or not

So she was driving in the correct direction?

She wasn't in the hard shoulder?

What did she do? Or was the cop ex Gestapo and picking on your girlfriend?

What about your hat question that seems to be gone?

Dont think they have to tell you your and idiot for speeding/dangerous driving/breaking the law etc/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Honestly I don't know what the situation is but I am curious, what exactly was he shouting at her, surely there is not a whole lot he could have said for being in the R/H lane???

Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

nillox wrote:

There is something being done about it, points and a fine !!

The rules of the road are simple, drive left and overtake right. She obviously wasn't adhering to the rules of the road and has now recieved the punishment that the law allows.

As for the hat comment :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

nillox wrote:

She should challenge it in court. Let a judge shout at her also. And put her where she belongs, off the road. So, yes, refuse to pay the fine, and complain!

well if the officer is not in uniform (includes not wearing a hat) and does not identify himself we are legally obliged to not co-operate if we dont want to, but he had the car so ill forget bout that.
    well there were 3 lanes so is there 2fast lanes or wat, thats the thing that bothered me most, but im more interested in knowing should they have told her she'd be getting a ticket, the guy just walked away, didnt say anything about a ticket..
    such helpful ppl here iv to say.
    typical anyway in a car forum, prob full of taxi drivers and boy racers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

nillox wrote:
    i ment the left lane, there was 3 lanes. she was in the right

Hat is irrelevant. An old urban legend. How do detectives arrest people without their hats on?

endplate wrote:
    No hat no ticket:confused:

Oh God,....not you too!!!!

HAT NOT NEEDED!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

nillox wrote:
    well if the officer is not in uniform (includes not wearing a hat) and does not identify himself we are legally obliged to not co-operate if we dont want to, but he had the car so ill forget bout that.
    well there were 3 lanes so is there 2fast lanes or wat, thats the thing that bothered me most, but im more interested in knowing should they have told her she'd be getting a ticket, the guy just walked away, didnt say anything about a ticket..

It sounds like you don't know the rules of the road also. There is no such thing as a fast lane, it is an overtaking lane.

With regards to being told about getting a ticket, does a fixed speed camera call you as you go by to tell you about the impending ticket and points?

The guard let he know what the offense was (even if his hat was having a holiday) ... and took her details. That is all they had to do!

Now, on an other note, If I was robbing a bank and just as the cop was to arrest me I knocked his hat off .. I could expect to walk free from the court ? Sweet ... better not tell anyone !

nillox wrote:

Penalty points offence, so you will be getting a letter with a fine in it. Garda doesn't have to tell you he's sending it. It's common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

nillox comments like that won't really help will they? i aint no taxi driver or boy racer i just like cars :)

the reason people aren't helpful is because your girlfriend does not know the rules of the road or else chooses not to adhere to them therefore she is perhaps either ignorant or an arrogant bitch. now i know that's a bit harsh as all people make mistakes but the nail in your coffin is you coming onto this forum looking for legal loopholes to get out of it.

it doesnt matter if the garda was wearing a panda suit - your girlfriend deserved points and fine so she should just pay it and learn her lesson. granted the garda shouldn't have shouted at her but are there parts of the story left out as in did she give him lip etc? if not then go complain if you want. ive learned to just bite me toungue...

nillox wrote:

I'd say boy racers and taxi drivers would have more cop on than you and your girl friend.

So your saying a plain clothes garda cant arrest any one?

It seems clear that the girlfriend did something wrong and your trying to justify it. that wont wash here

im just saying the hat thing cuz i found it on the net about our rights. and i see signs everyday saying fast lane.
    now i dont care if im wrong im just trying to find an answer so no need to be so stuck up yer own asses wit all ur smart ass cheeky comments

the reason ppl arent giving ME help is cuz of my gf who hasnt asked anything.
    god yer inteligence is somewhat far superior than mine, im so so sorry ill just bow down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pay up I'm afraid, take the points and learn the lesson.

There really is no excuse for driving on the overtaking lane.

Doesn't stop lots of people doing it daily though., including a few of the "high horse" brigade on here no doubt.

I think it's sad where a grown man makes a lady cry btw.

nillox wrote:

im just saying the hat thing cuz i found it on the net about our rights. and i see signs everyday saying fast lane.

Were have you seen the signs?
    nillox wrote:

now i dont care if im wrong im just trying to find an answer so no need to be so stuck up yer own asses wit all ur smart ass cheeky comments

If you dont care your wrong why arent you taking on board what people are telling you? You just dont seem to want to accept that you (your gf) were was in the wrong and you are trying to worm your way out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Hey Nillox, I must admit I would be p1ssed off too if my wife told me she got shouted at by a Garda until she cried.

Still, there is no such thing as a fast lane, maybe the Garda was trying to pass and she refused to move to the other lane and that p1ssed him off, who knows??

I also must admit that the only times I get annoyed when driving on a motorway is when there is a tail back caused by someone who refuses to drive in the left lane.

Sorry if I offended you or your girlfriend but I would suggest that she hasn't told you everything??

Richie.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

There really is no excuse for driving on the overtaking lane.
    Unless overtaking :D
    nillox wrote:

Where does it say "fast lane"?? Ive been shouted at by a garda before. I didnt do "anything wrong". In the eyes of the law it wasnt the smartest move I did, so I accepted it.

Nillox, if you are looking to get out of a legal loophole, post here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=658

Posting in a motor forum looking for information to get out of a penalty points (and an irate garda for whatever reason) situation will annoy people. If she didnt break the law, then she should contest it. However, if she DID break the law (which only you, your GF and the garda truthfully know)but you want to get out of it because of a hatless garda, then dont ask people (high horse brigade/honest drivers/boy racers/taxi drives/stunt drivers) advice, because you will annoy them.

Most of us at some point in our lives have or will break the law. If we break the law and we are caught, I for one, have and will put my hands up.

As mentioned, IF she broke the law, but was unsure of what she was doing, it will explain the reasons why on the letter that she received. BTW, you dont get a ticket AND penalty points in the post. You get a form, accept/not accept and pay/not pay the fine and then seperately receive a letter from the RSA issueing you the points. There is a legal requirement in this country to give you reasonable information as to why an offence was commited. If this was not explained then contest it. If it was explained (and it seems it was) then accept it. You have posted 8 times so far, more or less 6 of them have been someway offensive to ALL boardsies. If you require good advice, dont insult people. Accept that some people will get pissed off from your post, but dont blame everyone. Same was I wont blame everyone that sits in the "fast lane" to be your girlfriend. No offence meant.

**Rant over**

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Just pay up and take the penalty points, i got 2 penalty points some months back, the penalty notice arrived in the post stating 8.20pm for time of offence, but i was actually stopped at 8.20am , i asked my solicitor for his opinion , he said he could challenge it for me but to take my punishment ,the judge would hammer me for coming to court to challenge it he reckoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

If a guard shouted at my wife and caused her to cry I would request a meeting with the Superintendant- rude behavior is not on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

pics of gf!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

nillox wrote:
    It appears that neither you nor your girlgriend have read the rules of the road properly. When you get your free copy, please study it - the rules are largely there for a reason.
    nillox wrote:
    Where did you see that info on the net?
    Furthermore, there are loads of signs around the country erected that are illegal. Christ, even the NRA are unable to design signs properly. Just because its there doesn't mean its correct!
    See Poor Road Signage Pictures
    nillox wrote:
    the reason ppl arent giving ME help is cuz of my gf who hasnt asked anything.
    god yer inteligence is somewhat far superior than mine, im so so sorry ill just bow down
    see my point above
    lafortezza wrote:
    pics of gf!
    ROFL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

nillox wrote:

I'd also be interested n seeing these fast lane signs you see everyday.

Anyway rules of the road booklet, page 122

(or)

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/motorway.html

Lane 3

If you are travelling on a three-lane motorway, you must use this lane only if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake or accommodate merging traffic. Once you're finished overtaking, move back to your left and allow faster traffic coming from behind to pass by.

I'd give a guess and say her points will fall under "Driving without reasonable consideration."

• Advertisement

Traumadoc wrote:
    If a guard shouted at my wife and caused her to cry I would request a meeting with the Superintendant- rude behavior is not on at all.

You want the guards to say please sir madame excuse me?

While the guards are the front line of the law they arent there to be nice to criminals. They have to deal with pure scum so dont expect etiquette to be their to priority. If you dont break the law you wont have to worry about crying.

Advertisement