Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Theft - What can we do...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If you're using a Kryptonite U-lock, by the way, lock it in closely to the bike and stand, so it's impossible to fit a device in that will force it open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I have a friend who locked his bike on Marrowbone Lane in Dublin 8. Shortly after he came back and both wheels were gone (neither were quick release!)

Next day I see them sitting at the top of a pile of wheels inside a nearby council estate. Nobody's around at 11am so I just went in and took them back to my friend. Such a good feeling to get one up on them!

I had another friend whose bike was stolen. A few days later he was cycling in Rathmines on a friend's bike and spotted a guy riding his own. He followed yer man home and called the gardai on his location. Once he could prove he was the legitimate owner of said bike the gardai actually took the thief away to the station! So they're not utterly apathetic.

Where on a bike is the serial number?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Húrin wrote: »
    Where on a bike is the serial number?

It usually on the underside of the bottom bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

SetOverSet wrote: »
    It usually on the underside of the bottom bracket
    Depends. one of mine is on the rear stay by the dropout - other is on bottom bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I had another friend whose bike was stolen. A few days later he was cycling in Rathmines on a friend's bike and spotted a guy riding his own. He followed yer man home and called the gardai on his location. Once he could prove he was the legitimate owner of said bike the gardai actually took the thief away to the station! So they're not utterly apathetic.

I hope this is true as it really made me smile. :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Many years ago, my much loved Dawes Chevron bike was stolen from school. A few weeks later, I spotted a guy on my bike outside Crumlin Shopping Centre. I ran down to Sundrive Garda Station, just down the road, and the guards came up to the shopping centre and picked up yer man and the bike. I got the bike back shortly after - never found out what happened to yer man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

72hundred wrote: »
    I hope this is true as it really made me smile. :):):)
    I swear that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

TCollins wrote: »
    I photographed 2 fucrs stealing bikes opposite harcourt street police station in the parking area under camden court hotel there.
    I got the photos printed and brought them into the police station. They told me to go to Kevin street police station instead with them. I told them i was in a hurry and couldnt so would they just take them. oh no they wouldnt so i just left.
    I see them there nearly every day i'm there, nicking bikes. How hard is it for the cops to get them there. Even the security guard i see there watches them rob bikes. It hilarious (if you dont own one of the bikes)

Harcout st, is not a normal police station.. , had this issue with them one night too. There is always a guy on the gate, your wasting your time talking to him.

Its Kevin st or nothing.. , ring em on 01-6666400

Advertisement