Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland team to Play Italy

Options
  • 21-08-2007 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

Is this Eddie's starting 15 for the World Cup? (without O'Driscoll)

IRELAND TEAM & REPLACEMENTS (v Italy, Ravenhill, Friday, August 24, kick-off 19:45):
    15 - Girvan Dempsey (Terenure College/Leinster)
    14 - Geordan Murphy (Leicester)
    13 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
    12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    11 - Denis Hickie (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    9 - Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
    1 - Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
    2 - Rory Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    3 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
    4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) (Captain)
    6 - Simon Easterby (Llanelli)
    7 - Neil Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    8 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Replacements:
    16 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
    17 - Simon Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    18 - Malcolm O'Kelly (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    19 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
    20 - Isaac Boss (Ballymena/Ulster)
    21 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)
    22 - Brian Carney (Clonakilty/Munster)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

WC team with exception of 7, 13 and 14

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

High&Low wrote:
    WC team with exception of 7, 13 and 14

Considering the injuries hanging over those players, I'd regard this as our strongest team for the WC.

It looks like Neil Best is the chosen backup openside to Wallace and the backup blindside as well, while Ferris is the backup 8 and 3rd choice blindside?

Would like to see the bench emptied before 60mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hmm, hooker... I think our top hooker depends who we're playing - RB for likes of Argies when our scrum's under pressure, Flannery to give us more around the park.

Is Flannery still short of fitness & form ?

By all means use this as a test for the Argies, hence RB starting, but like you say Flannery does offer more in the loose, Perhaps using a mixture of the two in the opening games.

Flannery isn't a bad player to have as an impact sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

zabbo wrote:
    Is Flannery still short of fitness & form ?

By all means use this as a test for the Argies, hence RB starting, but like you say Flannery does offer more in the loose, Perhaps using a mixture of the two in the opening games.

Flannery isn't a bad player to have as an impact sub.

Think Flannery got shown up in the Scotland game, Rory best is much better in the tight,fringe defence, better tackler, mauler and better in the scrums. He is only a couple of KG lighter then Hayes.Flannery has a better throw and is not a bad backup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Thats good pack - still a little annoyed about this Reddan/Boss thing. He just isnt giving him a chance:mad:

Best,Easterby and Leamy..mmmmmm.......you got brute force with hands and a little bit of go forward grunt. Glad to see it. Lineouts should be good too with DOC and POC.

Should be a warning shot to all in the WC. (me prays they dont look crap)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭redmca

Team very much along expected lines. I wonder whether EOS would have played Horgan in the centre if he was fit. Just as well he's unavailable cos he's a great wing and a lousy centre, but Eddie seems to think differently.

Looking forward to seeing Trimble in what is recognised as his natural position. We really need back-up in this area, so here's a chance to show what he can do.

I expect the result to be a lot closer than Rome in March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Yeep, not a bad side considering the injuries.. I think Trimble is just short of being international class, but then games like this are what help get you there.

Murphy on the right shlould be interesting. He could well have a stormer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

It will be intresting to see how murphy does on the wing hopefully he can keep up his good form as of late.

An in form Murphy would be an awesome impact sub to have going into the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RonBonJovi

Luckycharm wrote:
    Think Flannery got shown up in the Scotland game, Rory best is much better in the tight,fringe defence, better tackler, mauler and better in the scrums. He is only a couple of KG lighter then Hayes.Flannery has a better throw and is not a bad backup.

Best is 19kg lighter than Hayes and is only 4kg heavier then Flannery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Very happy to see Trimble in the centre. Expecting big things from this starting team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Luckycharm wrote:

Well Best might be a bit better in the scrum I'll give him that but he's a lot worse throwing the darts. IMO lineouts much more important than the scrum in modern game.

I'd also question whether he is a better mauler

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Considering his last 3 outings in a Irish jersey havent given us a big reason why he should replace RB. I mean fair play to him to keep on trying time and time again after shoulder reconstruction but i think in fairness to Rory he has proved himself to be our No.1 Hooker he has come on alot and i think he deserves to be starting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    It will be intresting to see how murphy does on the wing hopefully he can keep up his good form as of late.

Im all up for Murphy on the wing over Carney. Itll be great to see what Trimble can do in the centre, hell be relishing this chance.

Provided the injuries to Horgan and BOD allow them play the FRance game or earlier this enforced shuffle may not be all that bad.

Best too needs to get a run out with a more familiar surrounds around him.

Im all for Best as no1 hooker, Flannery has done nothing to ean a place back.

My bet is Hickie to be the man in this game, hell take charge like Vs them in the 6N!

Cant wait to see this team, must be the strongest team we have allowing for injuries and would gain almost unanimouis support from the punters too it seems....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yeah this should be a good game.I'm just hoping Hickie can stay injury free this time around,he's on fire at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I really can't wait to see how this goes.

So happy to see Trimble in the centre. As someone else already said, I really wonder if he would have been put there if Horgan was fit.

Now I just have to find somewhere in Melbourne to watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Anyone know if Setanta is showing the Irish games for the world cup in the US? i ask because they haven't shown any of their warm up games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randomname2005

As far as I know Setanta on Dish Network will be showing them, although it does depend on which package you have

http://linux11744.dn.net/setanta/jsp/RWC_07_NA/RWC_07_NA.htm

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

sTRINGER VERY DOUBTFUL WITH BACK SPASM

Anyone else heading up tonight ?

Should be a good crowd, and a decent send off to the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

anyone know if this on tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hopefully Trimble plays well (as I expect him to) in the centre and we never have to witness the travesty of the Horgan/Darcy centre combo again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Cremo wrote:
    anyone know if this on tv?

RTE2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭shmaido

Sangre wrote:
    Hopefully Trimble plays well (as I expect him to) in the centre and we never have to witness the travesty of the Horgan/Darcy centre combo again.

agreed, but i heard a quote from EOS himself still insisting that the Horgan/Darcy combo is still his no.2 centre combination...:eek: , I reckon its why we lost the france match

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Punchbowl wrote:
    RTE2
    Thanks, i hope pope and hook are doing the analysis.

will miss them for the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mr.fancypants

any body else hear that eos mite tryout murphy at flyhalf tonite!!

think itts worth a go considering the reserve 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Absolute disgrace!!!

Try complete travesty at the end, how was that awarded....

Things look grim!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

sweet Jesus that was an awful match.

we are not going to get out of our group

Am I the only one that thought that was a try? Surely it was knocked back.I thought it was the Italian leg that brought it forward or was I seeing things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yeah it was a try but it was a ****ing travesty we won the match

Advertisement