Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht v Saffries

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danie Gerber

Hey crash, I said TEAM, not extended (sub-international level) world cup squad...

Ireland (v Italy): Dempsey; Murphy, Trimble, D'Arcy, Hickie; O'Gara, Stringer; Horan, R Best, Hayes; O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Easterby, N Best, Leamy.

I count three Ulster players in the starting line-up, two of which are not first choices in Trimble and Neil Best. To be honest, I'd play Jerry or Frankie ahead of Rory as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Wait for Trojan to post about Connacht...he is a product of their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

One thing that Connacht has been improving with that in the long term hopefully will do them well is their youth. As it is they have some very strong club sides that for two years in a row made it to the All Ireland final [to bad they lost :P]
    I know from friends who have played with Leinster Development they have actually lost to Connacht yet beaten Munster. So i wouldnt right Connacht off in the future. Hopefully they can get some great coaches to come through their system again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hey crash, I said TEAM, not extended (sub-international level) world cup squad...

Ireland (v Italy): Dempsey; Murphy, Trimble, D'Arcy, Hickie; O'Gara, Stringer; Horan, R Best, Hayes; O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Easterby, N Best, Leamy.

I count three Ulster players in the starting line-up, two of which are not first choices in Trimble and Neil Best. To be honest, I'd play Jerry or Frankie ahead of Rory as well.

Tally comes to :

1 Leicester
    3 Leinster
    3 Ulster
    8 Munster

I take your point that they may not be in the starting line up, but still, there's a large increase in Ulster players reaching the top level, whether starting or as strong impact subs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

many of the ulster lads still have no bottle in a tight game - evident throughout the magners league and heino cup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Season tickets are falling, see the thread on leinsterfans about it. The CB are a joke.
    Quite the opposite, season ticket sales are up on last year. Considering 700 are sold, that's more sold than to my eyes would have been regularly attending the games last year.

I agree with that crank on the leinsterfans board though, the 6:30 kickoff on a Friday is a joke. Hell, I live in Galway and it's still a pain in the bollocks to get home after work, changed and back out to the Sportsground for 6:30 on a Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Even Duffy learned his rugby in Roscrea, hardly a Connacht heartland.

Where did you get this? Duffy played for Ballina till the age of 18, signed a contract for Connacht not long after.

Anyway Connachts problem is that schools rugby is quite poor. Very few schools played it seriously up until very recently. Simply doesn't have the tradition of Leinster, Munster or Ulster schools. Therefore you have to work 10 times harder with the kids outside school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

kevmy wrote:
    Where did you get this? Duffy played for Ballina till the age of 18, signed a contract for Connacht not long after.

Anyway Connachts problem is that schools rugby is quite poor. Very few schools played it seriously up until very recently. Simply doesn't have the tradition of Leinster, Munster or Ulster schools. Therefore you have to work 10 times harder with the kids outside school

Duffy went to boarding school in Roscrea, where he was one of the stars of the Leinster senior cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Robbo wrote:
    Quite the opposite, season ticket sales are up on last year. Considering 700 are sold, that's more sold than to my eyes would have been regularly attending the games last year.

I agree with that crank on the leinsterfans board though, the 6:30 kickoff on a Friday is a joke. Hell, I live in Galway and it's still a pain in the bollocks to get home after work, changed and back out to the Sportsground for 6:30 on a Friday.

Connacht's attendances peaked at just over 2,000 3 years ago, iirc.

The half 6 kick-off time is a joke, but let's find a way to blame the IRFU for that too will we?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

considering a lot of folk on this forum didnt give us a prayer,ay other province in Ireland would not have minded getting beaten by 15 to what was in the second half more like a starting XV for the boks!
    bring on the magners league!!!!
    all we need is a kicker!
    I think we better put eddie the eagle into training!
    john

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think we better put eddie the eagle into training!
    john

LOL, that was a great catch he made! Heard the commentators on Setanta were wondering was one of the injured players wearing the suit.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Duffy went to boarding school in Roscrea, where he was one of the stars of the Leinster senior cup.

Ok still though did actually play for Ballina though when younger.

And managed to play midfield for a Mayo minor team that got to an AI Final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

thought of this after the fact !
    anyone record this from setanta?
    anyone be a pal and make me a copy on dvd.
    will pay for costs or postage etc
    best friends forever!!!
    thanks
    in advance
    john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danie Gerber

Eddie the eagle is a legend. He caught three difficult ones on the sideline!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

whats with this consistent connaught bashing!!
    its disgraceful and must of it is coming from leinister fans,typical but ask me this palers what have ye done with all your funding to date, nothing!!
    at least munster have some silverware!! all leinster have is there pompous attitude

anyway back to rugby, we should be concentrating on producing 4 equally good provinces and from the display last night sooner rather then later.
    Connaught have been consistently shafted and overlooked, like bernard jackman was at connaught, left last year for leinister then magically appears on the ireland squad a month ago!! **** sake!!
    connaught will do well in the ML this year, the reason for the 6.30 kick-off is because greyhound racing is on afterwards on both fri and sun, other then that move the matches to sunday afternoon.

its in every irish rugby fans interest to have 4 strong provinces especially now after that farce last night against italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

skelliser wrote:
    and must of it is coming from leinister fans,typical but ask me this palers what have ye done with all your funding to date, nothing!!

Except being responsible for developing some of the most important players in the irish set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Daveirl is obviously a dirty leinster fan.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

daveirl wrote:

.o/

Except if they were going to lose, I'd have much rather see them lose by 31 points... in all other circumstances a Connaught win would be most acceptable..

• Advertisement
Advertisement