Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in Waterford..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

God she's a beautiful city alright! I dunno what it is about Waterford but it tugs on the heart strings something wicked when you're away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Asmodean wrote:
    God she's a beautiful city alright! I dunno what it is about Waterford but it tugs on the heart strings something wicked when you're away.

It surely does Asmodean. Thanks again dlofnep:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Asmodean wrote:

She was still pulling me back 10 years after I left, and eventually last November she won!

And I'm the happier for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Crunchee

I left Waterford when I was 10 and went back last week for the 1st time in 20 years. I hardly recognised the place. So much has changed. There were archeological excavations taking place where the city square shopping centre is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Crunchee wrote: »
    I left Waterford when I was 10 and went back last week for the 1st time in 20 years. I hardly recognised the place. So much has changed. There were archeological excavations taking place where the city square shopping centre is now.

I think the Archeological excavations actually held up up the shopping Centre for somewhere between 6-12 months if memory serves me right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭decies

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Another place was the Chuck Wagon next door to burgerland and there was also a Discount store next to the original Kentucky at the car stand. It may have been called KK Discounts.
    Chuck wagon had the best burgers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Myself and a few friends actually sneaked into those excavations when they were digging them up :) There's a heap of caverns underneath the city. There was a small round tower which lead down to the caverns. There were further steps in the caverns going down to what must have been an even lower level, but they had bricked off the steps. Was probably flooded I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

dlofnep wrote: »
    Myself and a few friends actually sneaked into those excavations when they were digging them up :) There's a heap of caverns underneath the city. There was a small round tower which lead down to the caverns. There were further steps in the caverns going down to what must have been an even lower level, but they had bricked off the steps. Was probably flooded I'd imagine.

why did i have to read this. is there any way at all of getting into em do ya know? ive also heard theres a tunnel going from reginalds tower under the river to somewhere in ferrybank

why did i have to read this. is there any way at all of getting into em do ya know? ive also heard theres a tunnel going from reginalds tower under the river to somewhere in ferrybank

No idea if it's possible today, they might have it sealed up. The entrance was at the side of Cathedral Square, just by the Mall. This was probably about 12 odd years ago. It was when they were doing further excavations at the back of City Sq. It's possible that there is a tunnel under the river, but it was really dark down there and we didn't venture too far. Any tunnels I'd imagine were well flooded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

No idea if it's possible today, they might have it sealed up. The entrance was at the side of Cathedral Square, just by the Mall. This was probably about 12 odd years ago. It was when they were doing further excavations at the back of City Sq. It's possible that there is a tunnel under the river, but it was really dark down there and we didn't venture too far. Any tunnels I'd imagine were well flooded.

Aren't these the 'undercrofts' that will be opened with the Bishop's Palace?

As for a tunnel under the river, its just an urban legend.

• Advertisement

No idea.. I haven't heard anything since. Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

4780056733_577636b9bd.jpg
    Undercroft Waterford by sryan41, on Flickr

dayshah wrote: »
    Aren't these the 'undercrofts' that will be opened with the Bishop's Palace?

As for a tunnel under the river, its just an urban legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

No idea.. I haven't heard anything since. Do you have a link?

Here is some info (point 14) on the two pages
    http://www.discoverwaterfordcity.ie/userfiles/file/waterford-city-map.pdf

Another map here
    http://www.sera.ie/media/Michael%20Walsh_Estuary.pdf

And something here from your butty :)
    http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/cullinane-welcomes-development-of-historic-quarter/

Looking at the map, that looks spot on. Although, alot of restoration work must have been done because it looks much different than when I saw it. Thanks for the links :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

are they open to public now?

Advertisement