Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in Waterford..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote:
    What was the name of the video rental shop on Barronstrand opposite the TSB? There was a record shop called Soundwaves I think. The vid shop had copies to buy in the window display I remember titles like Alien and The Exorcist priced at around 45-50 quid in 1982/3! :eek:

Mike.

Sinnott's it was. I think they called it the Music Man. I remember paying a £40 DEPOSIT to watch movies when I bought my first VCR in 1979.:eek:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Wasn't Sinnots video store upstairs in their music shop in john street. There was another video shop called Video world along there by 4 Star pizza too. I think Mike is correct with the name of the one in Barronstrand street though

Another place was the Chuck Wagon next door to burgerland and there was also a Discount store next to the original Kentucky at the car stand. It may have been called KK Discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Bards

ANother one for ye all

Cantwells Music store, Michael street where the News & Star offices are now

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

What about the video arcade in what is now the book centre when i was in mt sion we called it "The Gloss" (why i dont know).

Was'nt that place called Glas Vegas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Rememeber going to the Metroland to see bands, and when Breens (Treacy's) had a night club called Olympus. Then there was stones or cheers or the Roxy depending on what generation you were. When Egan's was open and they had Flomotion I still have one of there consesition cards. Oh Remember when they handed out consesition cards. and you used to be able to buy sausages, chips and colslaw near the end of Flomotion. When the bowery was called excaliber and they had a replica viking ship in the middle of it with a table in it. I do remember never going there 'cause the rumour was that, that was where all the teachers went.

Aquos76 wrote:
    Wasn't Sinnots video store upstairs in their music shop in john street. There was another video shop called Video world along there by 4 Star pizza too. I think Mike is correct with the name of the one in Barronstrand street though

Mike is indeed correct - that was Soundwave (owned by, I think, Brendan Fitzgerald, who subsequently moved it to where Strand Videos were in John Street). But Sinnott's occupied a premises two doors down from it. I know this because I bought a lot of stuff there. Great staff, very friendly.

http://archives.tcm.ie/waterfordnews/2003/11/14/story12544.asp

And here's a couple more:

Bolger's (where Dunne's Stores original store is on Michael Street).

And one we all forgot:

Hearne's on the Quay. Ran all the way from the Granville Ground Floor up to George's Street - remember they had the wire system for moving the cash around?

It was an absolutely huge shop.

And one more:

Dawson's on the Quay (near Fieldmaster).

And a recent one:

JD Sports on the Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I remember Olympus alright or the Banana club as they called it on fridays. Get in before 10 (we're talking 1992/1993 here) and it was only 2 quid. 1.95 for a pint, a band, usually the stunning, the pale, the frames, the golden horde or someone like that, until midnight, followed by disco till after 2. My whole year at school used to go, with the Mcgees bouncing on the door. Around christmas the place would be packed to the gills, 2000 people or close. It was the place to be although not matter what they called it, it was always breens to us !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I remember playing 28 in Breens tha's before they closed off one of the stairs and part of the balcony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

The Regina Cinema on Patrick Street with 3 screens - Screen 2 was the Pullman on the ground floor, halfway up the stairs then for Screen 3 which was the Mini. Then up to the top of the stairs for Screen 1 - The Palace. Before we went in to see a film we would buy all of our sweets from the two old ladies across the roads (clothes shop there now?).

Joke shop in Georges Court - that brings back memories.

L&N grocery shop beside the Book Centre (current location)

Burgerland - The 80's substitute for McDonalds:D

When A-Wear was called Gay Wear anyone?

When Londis was in Lisduggan Shopping Centre (now Heaton's)

The Jet petrol station on the Cork Road (now Woodies). Completely surrounded by marshland.

When the Inner Ring Road didn't exist, i.e. to get to Ardkeen hospital you had to go into town and swing a right at the Tower Hotel and out the Park Road/Dunmore Road.

Cattle being loaded onto ships on the Quay where the Plaza is now.

Davy Macs pub where Masons is now.

And finally, taking a shortcut through town by driving up John Street, through Michael Street, Broad Street and swinging left past Darrers into Georges Street and down O'Connell street. Damn pedestrianised streets!!

Ah the memories......:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Bescos taken over by Londis. What was the name of the shopping place where Argos is now again?

Darrer's grocery stood where Mcdonalds is now, Their drapery dept was mostly in where Argos is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Dac51 wrote:
    The Regina Cinema on Patrick Street with 3 screens - Screen 2 was the Pullman on the ground floor, halfway up the stairs then for Screen 3 which was the Mini. Then up to the top of the stairs for Screen 1 - The Palace. Before we went in to see a film we would buy all of our sweets from the two old ladies across the roads (clothes shop there now?).

Joke shop in Georges Court - that brings back memories.

L&N grocery shop beside the Book Centre (current location)

Burgerland - The 80's substitute for McDonalds:D

When Londis was in Lisduggan Shopping Centre (now Heaton's)

The Jet petrol station on the Cork Road (now Woodies). Completely surrounded by marshland.

When the Inner Ring Road didn't exist, i.e. to get to Ardkeen hospital you had to go into town and swing a right at the Tower Hotel and out the Park Road/Dunmore Road.

Cattle being loaded onto ships on the Quay where the Plaza is now.

Davy Macs pub where Masons is now.

And finally, taking a shortcut through town by driving up John Street, through Michael Street, Broad Street and swinging left past Darrers into Georges Street and down O'Connell street. Damn pedestrianised streets!!

Ah the memories......:)

L&N used to be up in Broad St.One of the buildings where Broad St. centre is now.I used to love this place and Chapmans because of the smell of ground coffee.It was a bit more gourmet and traditional than the L&N Hypermarket.

I believe there may have been another L&N in Hennessy's road on the other end of he block where the shop is(was?) previously known as Joe Revells oppossite Roanmore Terrace.

Some more:

The Emerald Isle Chipper opposite the Regina (Cineplex) in Patrick Street (still a chipper but modernised etc).

The Green Bank Cake Shop in Bridge Street.

Leahy's Cake Shop in the Mayors Walk.

Murphy's Shop in Bridge Street.

Dac51 wrote:

Have to hold my hands up to that one....:o :D

And what about the Regal Cinema (remember the Fu Manchu movies starring Christopher Lee)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059162/

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mullanimal

leahy's donuts were something else...

but does anyone remember cream buns... they usedta go stale in about 60 seconds but the crayme was just out of dis wuhurld!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Ah cream buns I remember there was a lad used go around the housing estates selling cakes and buns from the back of a blue van , and what about the chip vans waiting for them to come round at night when you.d be after getting a few bob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

What about the park shop, jam donuts from a heated tin box, I think the lady name was Alice. They had a guesthouse next to the shop; I remember they moved back to Kerry when they sold the shop

Aquos76 wrote:
    Darrer's grocery stood where Mcdonalds is now, Their drapery dept was mostly in where Argos is now.
    icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

I have vague recollections of a newsagent/magazine place over around Georges Street , which was wholesale only , but would sell you a comic if you went in. I think we used to go in there if there was a comic coming out with a free gift which would be hard to get up town. I also think it might have been called Easons? I'm talking late sixties, early seventies here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭shinzon

fitzmaurices in georges court, he moved out to the cork road as fitzmaurice toymaster, dunno whether he is still involved out there, but was where boots is now

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Although across the river but still inside the Waterford city boundary there once was a village in Sallypark and before the Dual Carriage way and the current bridge was built Ferrybank was more of a village with houses on both sides of the road .

Anyone remember the Butchers that was in John Roberts Sq ( A wild guess I think it was Bremners , I think he was a waterford hurler )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

Think it was Brenners and as far a I remember he was German

there a few picture of the Ballybricken area floating showing the Cattle mart on the Ballybricken square.I think they moved the mart in the early '70's to where it is now on the old kilmeadon road, that by the way was in the middle of the country, and is not in the middle of a industrial area in the city again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dean_n

for some reason when I was younger I thought Club LA was a strip club or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

You weren't far off the mark there:D
    What a kip that place was.

Not much has changed in 300 years!

waterford1736.jpeg

waterford2005.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

Anybody remember stripes chipper down on red square?

waterfordfrombowiefield1.jpg

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote:
    Not much has changed in 300 years!

waterford1736.jpeg

waterford2005.jpeg

Indeed - still as breathtakingly beautiful as ever...as highlighted by these shots.;) :D

Advertisement