Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

warhammer online beta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

http://war.warcry.com/images/view/346

I really don't see how it looks "horrible" from a viewing perspective; bearing in mind there isn't even a lighting system implemented in many of the screenshots and videos available at the moment.

Age of Conan is probably going to be the only MMO with supposedly "next-gen" graphics; but it's going to need a beast of a machine to run properly.

Personally I think it's plenty prettier than WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Aye, that's what my poor attempt at a sarcastic comment was trying to say.

They've been making the content of the game and making sure it all works. If I were a game designer, I'd leave the graphics till last.
    Obviously not too late tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Saw some really early vids of WAR ages back and it looked crap alright but the game has come such a long way since then I really dont see how you could claim it looked worse than WoW.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I've heard Age of Conan was pushed back because they were unable to deliver on the graphic detail and game play they promsied.

Warhammer does indeed look mneh, but DAoC is one of my all time favourite MMO's and I think it looks like dirt.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for me at least, that translates into
    "If it plays good, its bloody good"

I'm still quite looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I'd rather awesome gameplay over pretty images anyday... would be nice to see the pained expressions and blood spatter when you kill someone though...;)
    gameplay = gamemaker/breaker
    graphics = can live with whatever they throw at us once I can tell what's what.

• Advertisement

Yup, gameplay can outdo graphics.
    Like Ivan said, look at DAOC.
    Even look at Ultima Online lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Sweet just got an email saying I've got into the Beta. Won't get a chance to try it til next weekend though. Can't wait

Lucky sod! Make sure and be very careful when going through the confirmation process to download the client etc. Just make sure and read everything carefully.

Anyone know from previous/current (don't have to say which ;) ) Beta testing of MMORGs experience as to what sort of time commitment they'd expect as I just started playing Eve on Friday and if they're sending out more invites to this and I get one I don't want to completely ignore Eve for Warhammer? Add to that that I'll have a bit of a hectic schedule for the next month or so so it'd be irregular play times (some days lots of time, other times it could be days between log-ons)...

ronivek wrote:
    Lucky sod! Make sure and be very careful when going through the confirmation process to download the client etc. Just make sure and read everything carefully.

Care to mention any specifics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

From my previous beta testing, I wasn't given specific things to test. Simply play as you would normally, and try to break the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Normally once you get in you're safe. You don't have to play at all, or play as much as you like and you'll be in til the end.

Oh, I applied for the European beta on Wednesday and got an email on Thursday saying I was accepted, so it seems they are taking on a good few.

Ok, thanks guys, nice to know as I got invited to a corporation in Eve and don't want them to feel I'm abandoning them if I do get a beta invite for this. While I am finding Eve interesting and challenging at parts (so missed the challege in new games I'd been buying, as in was finding them too easy) curiousity would probably get to me, then there's the fact of if invited I'd kinda feel obligated to try help out.:o

Drakar wrote:
    Oh, I applied for the European beta on Wednesday and got an email on Thursday saying I was accepted, so it seems they are taking on a good few.

I applied on the day it opened, and still haven't got a beta invite :mad:

GStormcrow wrote:
    Care to mention any specifics?

Well you only get one shot to confirm your acceptance and if you close your browser or any of the confirmation windows you effectively lose your spot in the beta.

You're asked a few questions also; the main one in relation to your employment or lack thereof within the Games Industry. Again you only get one shot to continue and if you click the wrong button, you lose your spot.

As I said, once everything is read carefully there shouldn't be a problem.

Wow, imagine a few people probably got PO-ed that they accidentally lost their position...

Yea, lots. I'm not sure I have a whole lot of sympathy for those who don't bother reading things before clicking but it's definately not nice.

New beta invites went out today so check your mailboxes ;)

How did or DO you know when the mails go out?

KoKane wrote:
    How did or DO you know when the mails go out?

Applied last friday and had a sweet sweet email waiting for me today :)

• Advertisement

Any idea of when the game is set to go live?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

When you register on the http://www.war-europe.com/ website, are you automatically registered for the Beta?
    Any idea of when the game is set to go live?

I don't think an actual date has been slated, but most sources say the first quarter of '08

humanji wrote:
    When you register on the http://www.war-europe.com/ website, are you automatically registered for the Beta?

You get the option to just register on the site or reg and apply for beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah, yeah, I did that. Just wondering since I applied ages ago and never got into the Beta :( I can only assume it's some sort of venfetta against me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

humanji wrote:
    Ah, yeah, I did that. Just wondering since I applied ages ago and never got into the Beta :( I can only assume it's some sort of venfetta against me!
    You're not the only one. I subscribed to the newsletter months and months ago, and applied for the beta on the day it opened. It said that preference was supposed to be given to those who had already subscribed to the newsletter, but I still haven't heard anything back :(

Blowfish wrote:
    You're not the only one. I subscribed to the newsletter months and months ago, and applied for the beta on the day it opened. It said that preference was supposed to be given to those who had already subscribed to the newsletter, but I still haven't heard anything back :(

x2 :(

Yeah, same deal with me.

I applied for beta about 2 months ago I think and I subscribed to the newsletter. I have a fairly powerful gaming laptop. Could it be they are choosing people with higher spec machines? Has to be some reason for the direct-x diagnostic file submission.

Thats possible.

If they want to see how it performs with what they consider lower or minimum spec systems they should be inviting in a wider variety of people though.

Hopefully my system isn't below minimum spec.

• Advertisement

Im pretty sure my machine will be running that game on full spec so I guess its just the unluck of the draw applying to me =[

Advertisement