Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical supply questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

Thanks - I tried a babel fish translation of the manual, relating to the one with the green light ... can't make sense of it!!!

"Load control tracer, to function-indicates and manual release of the loader procedure. Lights up whenever with mains connection charging current flows into the battrie. If the load AUTOMATIC switched on switched off (14.4v) and not yet again (12.8v), through the loader procedure can touch lightly to be drawn lots prematurely"

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ahh yes ...just what I thought.

The green light is supposed to tell you that the battery is being charged via 230V and the built-in charger.
    EDIT: Possibly it's switchable as well, but the translation doesn't make much sense

PS ..if you need some German translated, don't ask babelfish ...ask me :D

Don't tempt me - I've a complete manual here that I would love to have translated!!!

However how about this - relating to the meter and the switches underneath..

"Kombi-instrument, beleuchtet, zur kontrolle der batterie - spannung von starter- und versorgungsbatterie sowie des fÜllstandes von frisch- und abwassertank. Abfrage erfolgt per Taster 2 bzw. Schalter 3; die instrumentenbeleuchtung wird bei jeder Bestätigung mit geschaltet. Obere Skalenhälfte = Batteriespannung, untere Hälfte = Fullstand von FW- und AW- Tank"

Well ..the occasional sentence or small paragraph is free ...a whole manual would cost you :D

chrisblack wrote: »
    "Kombi-instrument, beleuchtet, zur kontrolle der batterie - spannung von starter- und versorgungsbatterie sowie des fÜllstandes von frisch- und abwassertank. Abfrage erfolgt per Taster 2 bzw. Schalter 3; die instrumentenbeleuchtung wird bei jeder Bestätigung mit geschaltet. Obere Skalenhälfte = Batteriespannung, untere Hälfte = Fullstand von FW- und AW- Tank"

sorry, only saw that now ...a very rough translation:

combination-instrument, illuminated, for controlling the charge of vehicle and leisure battery as well as the level of freshwater and wastewater tanks.
    operated via button 2 and/or switch 3 (illumination will get switched accordingly). Upper level of the scale indicates battery voltage, lower level is for tank levels

so ...as I thought ...with one of the buttons/switches you switch between battery and water and the other one then is battery 1 / 2 or tank 1 / 2

you just have to figure out now which is which ...the description doesn't really say.

also ...tank level indicators usually only read gobbledygook after a few years, if at all (and exchanging them is usually more hassle than it's worth)

• Advertisement

Danke schon mein freund. Site 20 jahre hab ich kein Deutsch gesprochen.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

stapeler wrote: »
    I think so. If you have one weaker battery it will have effects and possible pull down the other battery. I'll try find some more information.

hi guys ,
    My leisure battery went low recently and i drove it around for a bit and its come up to just under 12 volts . Went for long spin with lights on and it lost power on the main battery. Can the alternator only charge one battery at a time? I think my main battery isnt charging because leisure BATTERY is weaker can someone enlighten me thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Camper Guy.
    It sound's like your main battery may be on it's last legs and not holding a charge.
    Firstly check your altenator, you need to measure voltage at your battery, typically when charging you should see around 13.5 volts with your engine running. If it's not charging you'll only see 12volts.
    If it is charging and you're battery isn't holding a charge then you're ready for a new battery. How old is the battery? usually they're good for around 3 years.
    The altenator sends power to the zig unit/split relay unit. This contains relays which splits power between both batterys, if I'm not mistaken it charges by alternating between each battery every couple of minutes. (I know my old hymer worked that way as you could hear the relay kicking in and out every couple of minutes)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

stapeler wrote: »
    Camper Guy.
    It sound's like your main battery may be on it's last legs and not holding a charge.
    Firstly check your altenator, you need to measure voltage at your battery, typically when charging you should see around 13.5 volts with your engine running. If it's not charging you'll only see 12volts.
    If it is charging and you're battery isn't holding a charge then you're ready for a new battery. How old is the battery? usually they're good for around 3 years.
    The altenator sends power to the zig unit/split relay unit. This contains relays which splits power between both batterys, if I'm not mistaken it charges by alternating between each battery every couple of minutes. (I know my old hymer worked that way as you could hear the relay kicking in and out every couple of minutes)
    thanks stapeler
    sounds to me like my battery is knackered ouch . how much for a new one?

o'mearacamping.com from around the €70 mark. Here's a link.here Chrisblack mensions good value batterys. Chrisblack might be able to update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

CamperGuy: It does sound like the MAIN battery is shagged - i.e. the one that starts your engine. When replacing it make sure you use a starter battery, not a leisure battery, which is what I presume O'Mearas have. Leisure batteries are designed for long slower drain of power, and to be able to handle being drained completely - they won't be happy starting an engine.
    Conversely starter batteries are designed for supplying large surges of power to turn over the engine and are unhappy if drained completely - in fact I believe they die after about being "flattened" 10 times or so. Starter batteries are usually a bit cheaper than leisure ones - it's worth paying for a good one though.
    db.

oops, my mistake. I was thinking leisure batterys at the time. Your starter battery will cost around the €60 mark from most motorfactors.

not been on here for a while and just spotted this... my neighbour has recently taken delivery of some second hand batteries, although I haven't had time to call round to see what he has... PM me if you wnat any more info.. it will mean having to come to west cork to collect... Chris

Advertisement