Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical supply questions

Options
  • 17-08-2007 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

I,m going away in the motorhome next week for the first time. I'll be staying mostly in campsites with an electric hookup. I don't run any major extras, the van came with a tv, dish, decoder which I have not figured out yet and will most likely not use. I will want to recharge a laptop and perhaps use a portable dvd player. Will these operate from the sockets in the camper while on hookup or do I need to get an inverter?
    I have connected a blue 16A plug to a standard socket on an extension reel. If I ran the internal lighting off batteries could I use this setup from campsite mains to power the other units?
    Many thanks in advance, Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Can't remember what kind of van you have, but if it's factory wired, once you plug in the hookup in the outside socket in your van (and flick the 230V fuse/switch) three things should happen:

- your built in charger charges the batteries (maybe another switch needs to be flicked)

- you can run your fridge on 230 V

- and your sockets inside have 230 V

So if you bring the charger(s) and they fit the sockets (German sockets/ IRL plugs?) you can charge / run all your gizmos.

It would be a bit stupid to run the hookup inside via the cable drum, as you'd be passing up the opportunity of charging your batteries and running the fridge. On most campsites there is a fixed charge for the hookup anyway ..no matter how little or much you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Thanks for the quick reply, its a Euramobil 585 obviously factory built. So all I need are the adaptors between German sockets and Irish plugs? I read somewhere (here?) that all the stuff on board runs off 12V and that whrn on hookup the power is converted to 12V. Is this true? What then is an inverter?
    Also, is there any way of charging a laptop off the alternator whilst driving?
    So many questions!!!

Ok ...you've got two different circuits, 230v and 12V

12V runs of the battery (charged by the alternator when driving or the built in charger when connected to 230V and switched on) and powers lights, fans, water pump.

So when you're parked your pump/lights drain the battery (the second one, not the main car battery) unless your'e charging it at the same time through the 230v hookup. Without a re-charge (either driving or 230V) you get about 3-4 days worth of light and pump out of your battery before its empty.

230v runs off the hookup, supplies your charger, the fridge (when 230v is selelcted) and the 230v sockets and anything you plug into them.

Now there could be a situation (watchingTV/satellite, using a hairdyer) where you need 230V but have no hookup ...that's where an inverter comes in. It con(in)verts 12V from your battery to 230V at the inverter socket.
    On a single second battery with an inverter attached, you'll get about ten minutes worth of hairdrying or two-three hours worth of telly ...then your battery is empty.
    An inverter only makes sense if you have several big batteries to power it.

As for charging your laptop while driving ...if you have a charger for it that fits into your cigarette lighter socket or any other type of 12V socket (i.e. works on 12V), it will work ...otherwise it probably won't.

Most re-chargeable electric gizmos actually use neither 230v nor 12V to run, but some obscure voltage from anywhere between 1.5 to 14. That's why they come with a specific charger (a miniature inverter if you want) that converts the source voltage (12v or 230v) into the specific voltage needed for charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Fridge only runs off 12V when engine is running......otherwise you must either use gas or AC power

Inverter basically takes 12V DC and converts to AC

With my van, when you plug in the hook-up the power system automatically switches to AC and the batteries are charged automatically. Also the sockets become "live"
    If you have an inverter, you could charge the laptop as you drive.....but given that you are going to be hooked up at the sites........why bother

My inverter is only used to power the Air Con in the back

Portable DVD should be able to connect to DC supply (cig liter sockets)....probably some in the back

Just make sure that you have a couple of plug adapters that you would bring on holidays for you sockets (if needed)

Thanks for all this info. Have 3 German sockets in the back which I will use with adaptors. There are also 2 sockets that look like 12v cigar lighters but a much narrower diameter. What are these for?
    Ian

• Advertisement

My guess would be that they are a differnt kind of 12V socket.

Have two of them in my van as well but am yet to find something that actually plugs into them :D

As for your German sockets, if you're DIY minded (and bored) you could possibly exchange them for standard Irish household sockets ...that is if the bigger Irish ones fit and you know how to wire 230v correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ousty

Loobylou
    Re your 12v German sockets
    Go to www.roadpro.co.uk
    Then look up
    C0228
    PROCAR DIN / L.S. CONVERTER PLUG
    ousty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

loobylou wrote: »
    Thanks for all this info. Have 3 German sockets in the back which I will use with adaptors. There are also 2 sockets that look like 12v cigar lighters but a much narrower diameter. What are these for?
    Ian

On the 12V socket, have a look at this on ebay. with the wee red cap off it fits the smaller sockets and installing the red cap allows you to use it in a standard 12v lighter socket. Some of the motor factors stock them too with extension leads and a couple of sockets atached.
    I picked up a couple in one of the roadside shops for about €4.99

As ousty points out Roadprod have a few on offer too http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_detail.aspx?prod=PRO+CAR+COILED+CABLE+W.+PLUG+AND+L.T.+SOCKET&id=66

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I don't have any of those 12v sockets in my MH. Has anybody fitted them in their MH themselves for example to plug in 12v TVs, DVD players etc?

The "small" 12V sockets are German not fitted to Motorhomes built in England and most "home convertion vans-motorhomes
    ousty

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I got an adaptor thingy somewhere on ebay and then realised I had really no need for it. After all, how often do you need to power things off the 12v system, especially in the living area.

lBBYLOU
    You run things off 12V ,like your mobile phone,your laptop
    a T.V , a DVD an invertor,need I go on
    ousty

ousty wrote: »
    lBBYLOU
    You run things off 12V ,like your mobile phone,your laptop
    a T.V , a DVD an invertor,need I go on
    ousty

I can go on, GPS, PDA, 12v Kettle, 12v microwave, fans, heaters..:D;)

OK pedants, but which of those are really necessary? Phones, GPS, are used or recharged from the cigarette lighter, 12V kettles are a waste of time, its way quicker to heat water from the stove, etc. Methinks people are overcomplicating this camping thing. If you need all that other stuff perhaps you should consider staying at home!! IMO.

I disagree, 12v is important while travelling and wild camping.
    Kids use the DVD player, Electric fan handy when it's hot and sticky. I hang a 12V fluresent lights outside. TV runs on 12 volts too. Inverter used to charge the Laptop while on the move.
    My cigarette socket only powers up when the ignition is on and I don't like leaving the keys in the ignition where there is children around.
    Some comforts are required when travelling, It's all about keeping everybody happy and making it an enjoyable experience for all.

Kol, If you're considering putting a few sockets it you will need to run a cable back to the fuse board and wire it in. I'd recomment putting one under the table somewhere for pluging in DVD player without dragging cables from one side to the other.

loobylou
    you do not run anything off the cigarette lighter socket . It takes power from the engine battery
    You run 12V "things" from the leisure battery
    If you flatten the leisure battery, you start the engine and charge the leisure battery up
    If you flatten the engin battery !!!!
    As my father used to say You are "bandjacks"
    ousty

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

loobylou
    you do not run anything off the cigarette lighter socket . It takes power from the engine battery

Really depends how your system is set up.

In my yoke I've had it wired so that *everything* 12v, that isn't necessary for driving function, comes off the leisure battery.

So....the cigarette lighter runs of my leisure battery.
    The car stereo runs off the leisure battery.
    The courtesy/cab light runs off the leisure battery.
    The CB radio runs off the leisure battery.

The only non-engine 12v things that run off the engine battery are the headlights, dash lights, tail lights, indicators etc.

Basically anything you might possibly use whilst parked up/camping runs off my leisure battery, whether you might use it whilst driving or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

So what size of Leisure Battery is recommended - I notice mine is a 50Amh(?)

Chris

Chris
    Not ONE but TWO 110 Am is best
    ousty

Ousty,

If one were to install a second leisure battery, how would that effect the charging system? Would it also have to be upgraded? i.e. the charging system from the alternator and the 220v?

• Advertisement

kol
    To answer your Q no it would not affect your charging system
    providing you wire it up correctly
    No, you would not need to upgrade your system
    To be 100% sure one would need to know what type of a motorhome
    you are talking about. Is it factory made, or a panel van conversion.
    Does it have an E.M.S (energy management system) what the Germans call an "Elektroblock" or is just run off the alternater
    Remember if you add a second battery it SHOULD be of the same amp and age
    Come back
    ousty

kol
    To answer your Q no it would not affect your charging system
    providing you wire it up correctly
    No, you would not need to upgrade your system
    To be 100% sure one would need to know what type of a motorhome
    you are talking about. Is it factory made, or a panel van conversion.
    Does it have an E.M.S (energy management system) what the Germans call an "Elektroblock" or is just run off the alternater
    Remember if you add a second battery it SHOULD be of the same amp and age
    Come back
    ousty

Cheers for that. I have a factory built MH. I'm not sure about the E.M.S.(what does it look like??) I would have to check. I know that the leisure battery does charge off the alternator and there is a battery charger for the leisure battery under the drivers seat for when you are on hook up. I would have to find a suitable location for a second battery as mine is under the passenger seat in the cab. The nearest place to it would be under the front dinette seat.

kol
    The E.M.S is about 12x8x5 It looks like a battery charger
    The make and model of your M/H would give me a better idea where your E.M.S is likely to be fitted. i-e my M/H is a Hymer S70 1997 Model
    ousty

kol
    The E.M.S is about 12x8x5 It looks like a battery charger
    The make and model of your M/H would give me a better idea where your E.M.S is likely to be fitted. i-e my M/H is a Hymer S70 1997 Model
    ousty

Thanks. Mine is an Ahorn Camp 680 2000 model.

KOL
    Not familiar with this model , but if you give those people a ring
    they may be able to help, as they have one for sale

Freedom Campers
    Old Pottery, Main Street, Carrigaline, Co. Cork
    Tel: 021 483 4632
    Email: Freedom Campers

ousty

It's also called a zig unit, follow the wires back from the existing leisure battery and you should find it. It contains a couple of terminals and relays. In my old hymer it was beside the existing leisure battery and was a wee bit bigger than a cigarette packet.
    No need to upgrade anything as it just takes power from the altenator/charger and distributes it.

A second battery can be wired in parallel to the existing battery, the new battery would need to be the same ampage and condition.

stapeler wrote: »
    It's also called a zig unit, follow the wires back from the existing leisure battery and you should find it. It contains a couple of terminals and relays. In my old hymer it was beside the existing leisure battery and was a wee bit bigger than a cigarette packet.
    No need to upgrade anything as it just takes power from the altenator/charger and distributes it.

A second battery can be wired in parallel to the existing battery, the new battery would need to be the same ampage and condition.

Cheers. I'll have a look. Realalistically would you have to buy two new batteries?

I think so. If you have one weaker battery it will have effects and possible pull down the other battery. I'll try find some more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

I'm just beginning to investigate the electrics now, and am wondering what all the buttons/dials are for on my "zig" "ems" unit..

The unit is a Dethleffs 804 Bord Control..

On the lhs there is the main switch for 12v, followed by 3 buttons I can press (not switches) under each one it has 12v /10amp, above the buttons are some symbols, ther third symbol has 3 stars...

next to this and under a meter are 2 rocker switches which are marked Tank and Batterie,

finally there is another button with a diode symbol(?) underneath it... this has a green light on it.

Any help?

Thanks

Chris

I've enclosed a picture - its not the best, but all I have for now..

• Advertisement

chrisblack

Strange place for a control unit ...are you sure that's not a radio? :D:D:D

My guess would be:

- one general switch that switches everything 12V on or off ..i.e it kills the whole supply when you're parking the car for longer EDIT ...everything not needed for driving, that is.

- the next three would be for different things, most likely one for all light circuits (EDIT in the living quarters), one for the pump and the one with the three stars could be the fridge

the toggle switches under the gauge are to switch between batteries one and two and waste / fresh water tanks ...the guage should then show how full/charged each one of them is

the last one *could* be a charge indicator for the charger/alternator, indicating that your batteries arre being charged ...but I'm not sure on that one

Advertisement