Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know about Ireland v Bayonne TV Coverage??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Someone texted into Late Night Live on NewsTalk saying that Sky were reporting that he's going to be out of the WC.. There's a lot of heresay in that post, I know, but anyone got anything more on this?
    Well in fairness, it's Sky... Who trusts them to report reliable news?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Well in fairness, it's Sky... Who trusts them to report reliable news?

True enough - and I heard it on Late Night Live..

But still... F U C K!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

O'Driscoll samples French resistance

From correspondents in Bayonne, France
    O'Driscoll left the pitch in the 62nd minute after receiving a punch to the right-hand side of his face, between cheek and eyebrow, during a general free-for-all.
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22259983-23217,00.html

I'm shocked by this, I really am. Can't believe it happened and I'm ashamed of the Bayonne players... :mad:

Who punched him anyway? Is there any more information? I really am disgusted to hear this happened.
    struck by lock Mikaera Tewhata.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyunion/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rugby/07/08/16/RUGBYU_Ireland_ODriscoll.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

A kiwi?

Well that explains it. They're leaving nothing to chance this time.

Thinking ahead to a likely quarter final already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

sigh...

Well, it's difficult to see if this is coming from the Bayonne spokesperson or not.. perhaps trying to save French blushes..

5 Sin Bins + Cheap Shots.
    "I'm genuinely worried. He's gone for an X-ray," said coach Eddie O'Sullivan amid concerns that O'Driscoll has suffered a fractured cheekbone.

Five yellow cards were handed out in a physical World Cup warm-up game.

Denis Hickie claimed a hat-trick of tries, lock Paul O'Connell added two more and Andrew Trimble also went over.

A Bayonne spokesman claimed O'Driscoll has sustained a fractured cheekbone although the Irish camp would not be drawn on the extent of O'Driscoll's injury until further hospital tests are conducted.

There was some good news for O'Sullivan after an Ireland spokesman confirmed that a shoulder injury suffered by prop Denis Leamy is not serious.

"If the doc's worried (about O'Driscoll), then I'm worried," added O'Sullivan. "Hopefully, Brian is okay and if he isn't, it would be a big pity.

"But it was a punch thrown, so you can't legislate for that. Anyone can throw a punch anytime. It could be serious if it is fractured, it would be a pity."

English referee Wayne Barnes had his hands full, with Cedric Bergez and Ireland's Neil Best yellow-carded in the first half.

Bayonne full-back Daniel Larrachea and South African lock Robe Linde followed in the second-half along with Gordon D'Arcy.

O'Sullivan said that the physical nature of Bayonne's game sometimes went too far.

"I don't mind physicality, but it was more than physical .There were some cheap shots, that's the pity, but that's the way they want to play it, we can't control that, we can only play our game."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

this has seriously pissed me off I think its quite obvious that the Bayonne team went onto the field with the intent of taking out some of our better players before the World Cup. It is disgraceful, a punch can't be masked as an accident so I hope the player is heavily fined. Why can't teams just play rugby and try beat their opponents on the field.. incidents like this make me sick.

Whoever organised this should be shot, It was pretty obvious to anyone with a few brain cells that a french team would try take out our players and it's not on.

we didn't see Ireland taking out players in their warm up games even though Argentina are in our group and Scotland could be our opponents in the QF of the WC but I suppose thats the diffrence, we try to beat teams on the field fair and square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

The text messages were hoppimg while I was in cinema Fck fck fck fck fkc!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Typical bloody french. No offence Stephano, but french rugby isn't famed for being overly polite.

Poor BOD, may miss the greatest stage in the game becuase of some journeyman out to make a name for himself.

The text messages were hoppimg while I was in cinema Fck fck fck fck fkc!!!!
    You're supposed to turn your mobile phone off....completely ;)

Sounds like Leamys OK though, wonder is there a release being issued tonight or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

zabbo wrote:
    You're supposed to turn your mobile phone off....completely ;)

Sounds like Leamys OK though, wonder is there a release being issued tonight or not ?

Eh yeah!! tarnsformers may be good, but gotta stay up to date with everything from now til when we exit or win the RWC!!!!

This is so annoying, Hes so unlucky ( that hes so goifted and targeted?? ) !!

If he misses the RWC or cant play to his full potential as a result of this it will be an absolute travesty!!!

Hopefullly Spin master Eddie is over blowing this for his own reasons.....!!

Typical bloody french. No offence Stephano, but french rugby isn't famed for being overly polite.
    None taken! And I hope the b@st@rd who did this is punished appropriately! :mad:

zabbo wrote:
    Depends on the injury, could be 2-3 weeks + mask if we're lucky.

Do you reckon it's feasible for him to play with a mask? I guess the good thing is that we've got Namibia and Georgia in the opening games.. and the French game in 5 weeks.. so a bit of time for healing..

Tough call for EOS whether to keep him in the squad, if it turns out to be a fracture.. but hopefully, hopefully there'll be good news later in the morning..

Good News

Instead, medical examination diagnosed 'a fracture to his sinus and a deep laceration under his right eye'.

The report calls the injury 'not as serious as initially feared', and it will not require any surgery.

The recovery period for the injury is 3 - 4 weeks which will rule O'Driscoll out of the warm up game against Italy next week and the first Rugby World Cup Pool game against Namibia.

If the jaw had indeed broken, there was every chance that one of the world's best players would not have made it to France.

Bad news for France... He'll be back just in time for the France game and he'll be fresh as ever and determined to win... :(

I'm happy he'll make it though! Still gutted it happened in the first place though...

He'll not be anywhere near his best, has only played a few times since 6nations.

It's been a disaster year injury wise for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

So who had the great idea to hold this match?? It was asking for something like this to happen! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

As above:
    Whoever organised this game should be shot or at least dragged down Grafton St by his balls. 20mins into the game and 2 players (1 from each side) sent off you knew already by then it was going to get messy. Its unfortunate and specially if it was deliberate. These things happen and well he will be back for the French game hopefully and fired up, the only thing you need worry bout is his ability to play at 100% for the 80 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

imo we should have played the provinces.

or the best of the rest or something.

At leas then i could have watched

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

RuggieBear wrote:
    imo we should have played the provinces.
    Ya a combined provinces match would have been a far better idea. Gives EOS a way better view of back ups in case of injury to the World Cup squad.

Live and learn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well I was wrong about it being Frenchie trying to take out one of our players. Instead it's a Kiwi. Who'd have thunk it?

Like I said whoever signed off on this fixture needs to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Like everyone I am so relieved that BODs injury is not as bad as first reported.
    I also think that the scumbag who did this needs to be punished
    It was silly to play a french team so close to the world cup, however if we played any side bar a few they would probably have contained a kiwi or frenchy willing to do his country a favour and knock one of our best out of the WC

This situation needs to be looked at seriously, this is an action with complete intent behind it. It is criminal. I hope the IRFU pushes so as to get the severest of penalties pushed on bayonne so that other clubs realise that their washed up old pros cannot get away with doing their country a 'service' before a big tournament

Fine them to the b*ll*cks I say, if you just ban the player it will keep happening
    By the sounds of it anyway the whole team seem to want to take out irish players

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Well you cant say we didnt see this coming. I mean its a french club.....playing a full strength Irish team.......and we play France in our group......

Let the conspiracy theory's run wild. And i agree whoever said we should have just played a province side or AIB league side makes more sense to me.

Not the greatest week or so to start your campaign to the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

IRB had a man at the game, but the fecker will get banned for a week or two - and the club may get fined a few quid! But they had a full ground, paying top whack - so what do they care..

We need hard games to get the players match conditioned, and I'm sorry but no club team here can do that. You have to understand what they were thinking, playing a team full of ex-internationals who would play something like France and Argentina..

Regardless of the injury and potential disaster, it would have been a good run out for the team, and the first set of seriously hard hits most of them would have gotten since the end of the Heineken Cup in March/April..

While we should dismantle Namibia and Georgia and put 70+ points on both of them, best not to take any chances eh! TBH I would rather Horgan and O'D sit out Namibia anyway, as we need them for the rest of the world cup, not risking injury scoring our 123423th try in that game :D

We are also paper thin at center, so no harm in giving Murphy/Duffy [or whoever] a run in a real game, give him match practice in the remaining friendlys and in Namibia game in case of further disaster

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Stev_o wrote:
    Let the conspiracy theory's run wild.

I doubt there are any are there. If the puncher had been French maybe...

Anyway, we see punches in loads of matches and how often does someone come out with a 4 week injury from it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement